Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  FINALLY!!, Yellow PPG GTP Pace Car has a new home in Iowa (Page 5)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
FINALLY!!, Yellow PPG GTP Pace Car has a new home in Iowa by RAREW66
Started on: 04-11-2005 12:23 AM
Replies: 193 (17648 views)
Last post by: solotwo on 08-27-2013 02:12 PM
The_Stickman2

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2008 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The_Stickman2Click Here to visit The_Stickman2's HomePageSend a Private Message to The_Stickman2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by perry rhodan:

Just a question...what does "GTP" stand for?

Since these car looks like the actual GT fastback, and they are used as "pace car", does its stand for GT Pace car ?

I know, that sound like a stupid question...but I'm curious about the meaning.

Actually GTP was a class in IMSA at the time. The Fiero's with bodies like mine were in GTU. The Prototype's that also had the Super Duty were GTP-L. The "L" stood for lights. It was a sub class of GTP and was got cars of 3.0L or smaller. The GTP class was for turbocharged 3.0L or N/A cars over 3.0L.

------------------
My sites
http://the-stickman.tripod.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheStickman

IP: Logged
RAREW66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2008 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RAREW66Click Here to visit RAREW66's HomePageSend a Private Message to RAREW66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by The_Stickman2:
Actually GTP was a class in IMSA at the time. The Fiero's with bodies like mine were in GTU. The Prototype's that also had the Super Duty were GTP-L. The "L" stood for lights. It was a sub class of GTP and was got cars of 3.0L or smaller. The GTP class was for turbocharged 3.0L or N/A cars over 3.0L.

Thanks for that explanation. Even though I have seen the guidelines for the IMSA classes before, it never dawned on me that PPG may have used the classes to name the car. It makes sense considering where the cars were used. The car does have a 3.0L with one car being turbo charged. The other five did not get the turbo because they had a reliability issue. The Pace Car Team had commitments with the tracks for the pre-race activities, so it was decided to leave them naturally aspirated to insure that they had cars for the exhibition. The one turbo car was used for a 150mph+ exhibition pass when it did run.

Fred
perry rhodan

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2008 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for perry rhodanClick Here to visit perry rhodan's HomePageSend a Private Message to perry rhodanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So the Fiero was in the GTP and also in the GTP-L serie in the IMSA ? I was no aware that a GTP-L existed.

Ok, I was always thinking, for the GTP meaning that it was for GTPrototype, since it look like the upcoming fastback GT or GTPace Car since they were used as pace car... but thats another good explanation.

Maybe the name was choosen with all these fact together, prototype, pace car and GTP racing series..

[This message has been edited by perry rhodan (edited 10-13-2008).]

Austrian Import

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2009 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RKB75:

*bump* for more interior shots. What's all this stuff on the center console? What are the switches for? Can we get close ups?

side note: why is everybody always so stingy with pictures here?
<--- loooves pictures.

aeffertz

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2009 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for aeffertzSend a Private Message to aeffertzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those gauges look awesome!
RKB75

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2009 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RKB75Send a Private Message to RKB75Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here you go
Hockaday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2010 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
anyone ever copy the nose? lol

------------------

deezil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2010 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for deezilSend a Private Message to deezilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I get to drive this thing when I come up right ?
Vernon8360

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2010 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vernon8360Send a Private Message to Vernon8360Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think this needs to be seen in Frazee, MN
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2010 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Vernon8360:

I think this needs to be seen in Frazee, MN

I agree. Does Fred still own this car?
R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2010 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hulki U. My-BFF:

I agree. Does Fred still own this car?

Yes he does. He is more fond of his latest PPG car and brings it out more often. He used to bring the Yellow car out all the time. Before that it was the W66 with something like 300,000+ miles on it.
PFF
System Bot
RAREW66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2010 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RAREW66Click Here to visit RAREW66's HomePageSend a Private Message to RAREW66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The car is still very well loved. It has been out to many events in the last couple of years. I have the car clean and mechanically sound except for the annoying lifter tick from low oil pressure. Since this car was purchased, I bought the 194 mile Indy Pace Car, the PPG Indy Pace Car and a 7200 mile 84 SE in addition to other vehicles. So, Unfortunately, the restoration of the car has been on hold until I get more funds (quit spending) and time. Unpassable opportunities have allowed a pretty awesome Pace Car collection.

2009 Heartland Fiero Show. This was the first time the three PPG cars were together in public since 1987. The car really likes it's big brother.

2010 Heartland Fiero Show. Some people got rides.

We put the three PPG Fieros out for display at the 2010 National Antique Automobile Club of America Fall Meet in Moline IL. The cars had plenty of attention kind of sticking out like a sore thumb in the middle of the other antique cars. There was lots of sunshine and the pearl paint glowed like neon signs all day. Hard to imagine these cars are considered antiques and are 25 years old. The Indy PPG won it's National Senior First Place scoring over 375 of 400, the Blue PPG won it National Junior First Place scoring over 365 of 400 and the yellow PPG won a National Junior Third place scoring over 200 point of 400. The cool thing about the scores is that the cars are 100% unrestored original except fluids and filters. The AACA scoring weighs very heavy on originality and authenticity.

The Yellow PPG was the first Fiero Prototype in public hands. Little did I know what was in store for the future. There have been several offers to buy the car, but no way, it is one of my treasures that I continue to enjoy and marvel at. In my wildest dreams would I ever believe that the three PPG cars are together again. If only we could look in to the future I am always in to something cool.

Fred
RAREW66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2010 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RAREW66Click Here to visit RAREW66's HomePageSend a Private Message to RAREW66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have accumulated some photos of the cars in use that belong in this thread.

Artist conception of the body component parts.

At what I think is Laguna Seca in 1986

Pheonix 1986

Michigan International 1986

Cobo Hall Autorama 1986

RAREW66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2010 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RAREW66Click Here to visit RAREW66's HomePageSend a Private Message to RAREW66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

RAREW66

1119 posts
Member since Jun 2001
Some more:

Cleveland 1986

RAREW66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2010 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RAREW66Click Here to visit RAREW66's HomePageSend a Private Message to RAREW66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

RAREW66

1119 posts
Member since Jun 2001
Long Beach 1986

There are several other pictures that I have found, but the sources of the pictures have not come through with copies of the pictures for me. I have even found some professional video of the cars on track that I need to have converted to digital.

Enjoy,
Fred
1988holleyformula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2010 03:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RAREW66:

Wow! That's beautiful! This is my new favorite Fiero. Never seen any pictures of this green one before, thanks for posting!

ps, any chance you have any high res shots of any of these PPG cars I could use as backgrounds?
snowblindburd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2010 03:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for snowblindburdSend a Private Message to snowblindburdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fred. I want to visit someday. lol.

Also yay I contributed to the pictures you posted =P.

Also, Sadie is in love with the green PPG car too =P.

------------------

1990 Sunbird SE /// 1995 Beretta Base

R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2010 04:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very impressive Fred! This is a great help to preserving Fiero history. Thank you for sharing them with the community.
RAREW66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2010 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RAREW66Click Here to visit RAREW66's HomePageSend a Private Message to RAREW66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, the pictures are scans of photos taken in the 80's. They are the best quality I have. Unfortunately the green one was the first one to go and has been gone since the middle 90's. The vocational school that had executed the crush order when they were done with it. The Pearl White (2001) and Pearl Red (2004)cars met their demise also.

Fred

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2010 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOVE the ppg cars
I'm so glad to have made it to the 2010 Heartland Fiero show and see them in person!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUGlPW9dSLI
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2010 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ive never heard of or seen one. Im loving the nose and duck tails. Too bad those werent production cars. Id have to say that about the best looking non kitcar version of a Fiero Ive seen. Great find.
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2010 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Ive never heard of or seen one. Im loving the nose and duck tails. Too bad those werent production cars. Id have to say that about the best looking non kitcar version of a Fiero Ive seen. Great find.

I really love the hips these cars have on the back of them too, almost like a muscle Fiero.
1988holleyformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2010 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sorry, the pictures are scans of photos taken in the 80's. They are the best quality I have. Unfortunately the green one was the first one to go and has been gone since the middle 90's. The vocational school that had executed the crush order when they were done with it. The Pearl White (2001) and Pearl Red (2004)cars met their demise also.

Fred

duh. It was about 2 in the morning when I typed that. Too excited to even notice the scenery in the background that makes it obvious that these were taken back when there weren't any digital cameras.

oh well, as soon as I am rich and have enough money, I'll pay Archie or another expert to make me a replica of that green one. I can dream right?

oh and I'm sure its somewhere in this thread, but what kind of wheels are on those cars?
Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2011 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KnightSend a Private Message to KnightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump to keep the dream alive. The GTP fastback style is more like what I was thinking about for a conversion. Wish I could see what the car would look like with a Lawrence/SkiTime chinned GT slope nose.

Anyway, bump for anyone who has never seen the GTP Fiero.
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2011 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The GTP comes from the trackside brochure that PPG gave out to it's guests while the cars were on display. Here is what the cover of the brochure looks like.

I do not know specifically what or if it means anything. Most of the GTP Pontiac models were either high performance or had boosted engines. I just think that it is a designation of High performance. I do know that GT is short for Gran Turismo which if I remember correctly stands for touring car in Italian.

Fred

Wow Autostyle by C&F right here in Grand Rapids. They made the special Monza. I dont recall what it was called, but do remember seeing car carriers drive by Orson E.Coe Pontiac GMC with the special Monzas on them. C&F used to be in several buildings on the corner of Breton & 32nd street. I think a gentleman by the name of Pat Wall? owned C&F.
88RedFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2011 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88RedFormulaSend a Private Message to 88RedFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We REALLY need someone to pull molds off of these things! *drool*

[This message has been edited by 88RedFormula (edited 08-17-2011).]

88RedFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88RedFormulaSend a Private Message to 88RedFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Free bump

How many of these are actually left in existence?
85gtSquirrelly

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2011 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85gtSquirrellySend a Private Message to 85gtSquirrellyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am in LOVE with that nose, and the rear end is badass too, definately going to try making that nose on my project when the time comes for fiberglass
av8fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2011 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88RedFormula:

Free bump

How many of these are actually left in existence?

3 of the original 6 are left, Fred [RAREW66] owns 2, the yellow one, and the solid red one, and I think his friend owns the blue one, but he may be an owner on that one as well. Fred is the man when it comes to the PPG Fieros
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2012 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
*anti archive bump*
warmpancakes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 07:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for warmpancakesSend a Private Message to warmpancakesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sorry for bumping and old thread with my first post, But the Green PPG car was owned by oakland county schools Im trying to verify if they still have it
PFF
System Bot
1988holleyformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by warmpancakes:

sorry for bumping and old thread with my first post, But the Green PPG car was owned by oakland county schools Im trying to verify if they still have it

Pretty sure Fred said they executed a crush order on it, but please keep us in the loop! It would be awesome to find it in salvageable shape!
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One wonders if C & F here in Grand Rapids would have the molds stored in some back building? I don't know if they are still in business. At one time they were located at 32nd & Brenton. I remember driving by their campus of buildings many years ago. I wonder if Pat Wall is still around Grand Rapids?
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

solotwo

5374 posts
Member since Jun 2002
double post, old pos dell laptop

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 08-28-2013).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page