Started on: 04-28-2009 03:54 PM
Replies: 131
Last post by: nitroheadz28 on 10-30-2012 10:09 PM
IwannaIRM

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2011 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IwannaIRMSend a Private Message to IwannaIRMDirect Link to This Post
Ok, I now understand that we are talking about two different areas.

I see your point but since my "hump" was removed and glassed in I don't think it flows poorly at all. I'm not a glasser or body person so maybe I'm just not seeing the problem.

Here are the direct links you asked for, I tried to find as many as possible for you to see the decklid from different aspects:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...HTML/000047.html#p36

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...HTML/000047.html#p38

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...ML/000047-2.html#p48

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...ML/000047-2.html#p71

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...ML/000047-2.html#p72

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...L/000047-7.html#p251

And this is where Troy decided to switch to a Camaro style lip spoiler, still using the Driven Visions venting:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../000047-18.html#p705

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../000047-18.html#p706

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../000047-18.html#p717

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../000047-19.html#p725

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../000047-19.html#p729

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../000047-19.html#p730

I think that's enough for now...It's a lot of pages to go through...

Originally posted by Tha Driver:

I don't quite follow you. What I'm talking about has nothing to do with anything cut underneath. I'm referring to the way the rear point of the vent runs off of the factory raised area. That ain't right.
Can you post a link to the post on the "perfect union" thread that you're talking about (so I won't have to search for it)? You can get the link to a specific post via the little vortex graphic thingie to the right of "QUOTE".
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Which do you most can't the least?
What I most can't the least, would be do not a bad job but always a good.

IP: Logged
Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 03:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post
Do you have any finished pics of the new lid?
So You completely shaved the hump in the middle of the new lid flat? In that case the rear points wouldn't be an issue (although it might still look better if the sides went straight back...).
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 07:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTDirect Link to This Post
Hello. Hey i got a reply and the molds for this part as well as others and a fiberglass schreder/sprayer(?) are for sale as a lot.
DLCLK87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTDirect Link to This Post

DLCLK87GT

2696 posts
Member since Feb 2009

You see how the vent points at the rear don't line up with the raised area of the Fiero lines in this photo? That's one of the things I plan to correct. ~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

I think Paul is referring to the contours of the bumps already on the lid that are more square to the back and the lines of the vent flaring out like this…

I think he wants them to match....i think.

[This message has been edited by DLCLK87GT (edited 02-15-2011).]

Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post
I didn't find the lines to be objectionable or really that noticeable, everything seemed to flow well. This would be a persaonal taste thing of course.

Nice to see someone is picking this up, I think it's a great looking mod.

Nolan
Daredevil05

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sourmug:

I didn't find the lines to be objectionable or really that noticeable, everything seemed to flow well. This would be a persaonal taste thing of course.

Nolan

Nolan

Did you find the mounted to be flimsy or not after cutting them out?
Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DLCLK87GT:

I think Paul is referring to the contours of the bumps already on the lid that are more square to the back and the lines of the vent flaring out like this…

I think he wants them to match....i think.

Exactly. You don't want body lines running in all different directions & overlapping each other.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"
Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

Tha Driver

4559 posts
Member since Sep 2006

Nolan

Everything is a matter of personal taste. I do a lot of custom paint jobs that are too outlandish for a lot of folk's taste.
But most all of my custom design work is well liked.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Daredevil05:

Nolan

Did you find the mounted to be flimsy or not after cutting them out?

The peice that I received was too thin and I reinforced it with a couple of additional layers of fiberglass and imbedded an aluminum bar at the middle vent on the underside.

Nolan
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post

Sourmug

4538 posts
Member since Sep 2002

Everything is a matter of personal taste. I do a lot of custom paint jobs that are too outlandish for a lot of folk's taste.
But most all of my custom design work is well liked.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

I'm sure that your product will will be well done and adjusting the "lines" could very well be a great improvement.

Nolan
Daredevil05

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2011 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Direct Link to This Post
Paul you have a PM.

The Riv
PFF
System Bot
Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2011 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

I'm sure that your product will will be well done and adjusting the "lines" could very well be a great improvement.

Nolan

How very diplomatic of you to say so.
I've been working on the vent: it's one of those cases where I would have been nearly as well off starting from scratch...
I've cut down the sides to be parallel; making it so that it doesn't drop too deeply into the original hood (but still maintaining the same depth of the louvers); shortened the first louver to match the rest (don't know why the original designer made it much bigger); & making the last louver the same depth as the rest (again: don't know why it was made different). I'll get some photos up soon.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"
Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2011 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

Tha Driver

4559 posts
Member since Sep 2006

Paul you have a PM.

The Riv

Didn't get it...
IwannaIRM

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2011 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IwannaIRMSend a Private Message to IwannaIRMDirect Link to This Post
Paul, are you making this for the GT decklid only or are you going to make a notchy variant as well?
Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2011 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IwannaIRM:

Paul, are you making this for the GT decklid only or are you going to make a notchy variant as well?

Once I get the mold off of the GT decklid, I'll make one for the notch too.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"
Daredevil05

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2011 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Direct Link to This Post
Bump
Daredevil05

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2011 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Direct Link to This Post
Bump for progress pics.
Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2011 03:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

Bump for progress pics.

Soon, grasshopper.
I'm taking pics, but I haven't made the time to put them on a webpage (rather work on the louver).
Got about ten hours in the louver so far; still a long way to go.
BTW never got your PM...
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"
snakeskinner1

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2011 04:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for snakeskinner1Send a Private Message to snakeskinner1Direct Link to This Post
waiting and wanting for the notchies
Daredevil05

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2011 07:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Direct Link to This Post
Funny Paul. You have a Pm, for real.
ALL_CAMMED_UP

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2011 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALL_CAMMED_UPSend a Private Message to ALL_CAMMED_UPDirect Link to This Post
vents look sweet are these available?
PFF
System Bot
Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2011 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ALL_CAMMED_UP:

vents look sweet are these available?

Will be once I finish the plug & pull molds.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"
Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2011 02:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post
OK here is a link to the page on reworking the vent:
http://angelonearth.net/DV.html
Still a long way to go, but I'm working on it every chance I get.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"
Daredevil05

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2011 07:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Direct Link to This Post
Paul will the vent be thick enough that the louvers won't be flimsy when they are cut out for venting? Will that be an additional option if you cut out the vents vs the customers doing it themselves? This is a vent that I have been long waiting for since I got into the Fiero hobby thanks for stepping up to the plate.

The vent is looking great, now get back to work. Chop chop.

The Riv

[This message has been edited by Daredevil05 (edited 02-23-2011).]

Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2011 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

Paul will the vent be thick enough that the louvers won't be flimsy when they are cut out for venting? Will that be an additional option if you cut out the vents vs the customers doing it themselves? This is a vent that I have been long waiting for since I got into the Fiero hobby thanks for stepping up to the plate.

The vent is looking great, now get back to work. Chop chop.

The Riv

Here's the thing with my parts. They are hand-laid. What does that mean? Well, most aftermarket fiberglass parts are chopper-gun made. The chopper gun sprays out the resin & catalyst, & runs a continuous strand of fiberglass that it chops to length & mixes in with the resin. With hand-laid parts, you cut (or tear) mat out of a roll & place it on the part, soak it with resin, & roll out the air (you roll out the sprayed chopper gun strands too). You get more strength with hand laid parts as the fiberglass strands are more interwoven into each other. A hand laid part is as strong as a chopper gun part that is (roughly) twice the thickness. It takes a lot longer to hand lay a part, so it costs more.
I use three layers of 1 1/2 ounce mat, which makes a part about 1/8" thick.
So yes they will be thick enough (& strong enough) so as to not be flimsy.
I'll give buyers the option to cut it themselves or have me cut it. It could be cut in any of a number of configurations, as it'll have a solid, smooth surface across the face(s) (unlike the original).
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

[This message has been edited by Tha Driver (edited 02-23-2011).]

ALL_CAMMED_UP

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2011 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALL_CAMMED_UPSend a Private Message to ALL_CAMMED_UPDirect Link to This Post
nice progress, are these going to be available as a whole trunk or a cut the hole yourself kinda deal?
have any idea on pricing yet?
thanks
Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2011 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ALL_CAMMED_UP:

nice progress, are these going to be available as a whole trunk or a cut the hole yourself kinda deal?
have any idea on pricing yet?
thanks

I'm planning to give folks the options of just the vent (which will actually be the forward part of the decklid), just the decklid skin (bond your inner structure to it, or for a race car use hood pins), or a bolt-on decklid. Bolt-on decklids will be around $600 + shipping (which can be done by greyhound but still not cheap). The bolt-on decklids will have a custom built inner structure made to match up to the inner mods of the louvers. Skins will probably be around $300, just the louver vent around $175. These are tentative & probably uncut prices (louver holes not cut out), but we'll see how much time is involved making them once I get the molds made.
The above three options will apply - hopefully - to all hoods & decklids I make in the future. At least that's the plan. I just hope I can sell enough parts to make up for all the time it's going to take to make all these multiple molds for all these parts.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"
carbonfiber_kid

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2011 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonfiber_kidSend a Private Message to carbonfiber_kidDirect Link to This Post
this will be a cool part.
Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2011 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post
Added more photos of the build.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Doing the work of 3 men: Larry, Mo, and Curly.
Daredevil05

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2011 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Direct Link to This Post

Added more photos of the build.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Doing the work of 3 men: Larry, Mo, and Curly.

I don't see the updated photos Paul.

Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2011 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post
Paul

Your work is looking great. Yes there is a pile inconsistencies in these part, mine was the same.

Nolan
PFF
System Bot
Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2011 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

I don't see the updated photos Paul.

Refresh the page in your browser?
Daredevil05

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2011 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Direct Link to This Post

Refresh the page in your browser?

You're the man Paul. Keep up the great work.
Quad GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad GTSend a Private Message to Quad GTDirect Link to This Post
BUMP!
Quad GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2011 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad GTSend a Private Message to Quad GTDirect Link to This Post
A friendly bump!
Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2011 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post
More photos. Brushed some primer on it today. It still needs a lot of work, but with it all one color & using a guide coat I'll be able to better see what it needs.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"
craigsfiero2007

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2011 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post
Excellent Work! Looks a million times better than what you started out with. It will definately follow the lines of Fiero decklid now. Can't wait to see the end product.
Daredevil05

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2011 07:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Direct Link to This Post
Paul

I will like to thank you for bringing back a vent that probably would of been lost for years in storage somewhere. Great work. You gave this vent new life.

The Riv
Quad GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2011 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad GTSend a Private Message to Quad GTDirect Link to This Post
Well it was lost and buried in my garage for the past 6 years at least. I hardly recognize it now

Good work
Daredevil05

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2011 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Direct Link to This Post
Thank you too Quad GT. Without your vent this wouldn't be possible. Thanks again for trusting Paul with your vent. Trust me it 's in good hands of a fiberglass surgeon. You guys should be pride for helping out the Fiero community.

The Riv
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock