Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Japan's nuke problems--what's happening?--conflicting reports. (Page 32)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 64 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64 
Previous Page | Next Page
Japan's nuke problems--what's happening?--conflicting reports. by maryjane
Started on: 03-12-2011 09:14 AM
Replies: 2526
Last post by: 8Ball on 10-25-2013 05:04 PM
dennis_6

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 115
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2011 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

You are really appear to be not too bright Dennis.

The projected LIFETIME cost was to be 96 billion by the last estimate

The project was NOT built. So paying any amount of money for a facility not being built is too much.

25 billion was the amount collected by the nuclear industry thus far. It is not the total amount of money that was projected to be collected by the nuclear industry.

As per your post - " approximately 73 percent is funded from consumers of nuclear powered electricity and 27 percent by the taxpayers" (for disposal of weapons nuclear wastes).

So comparing the $25 billion collected by the nuclear power industry to date to the projected cost of a facility that isn't being built is pretty meaningless.

So question Dennis. Are you really this stupid? Or are you just yanking my chain?

So your telling me if it wasn't killed, the nuclear industry would have volunteered to pay half of it? I doubt it. I did not state they should pay for a project that was terminated. As a matter of fact, the U.S. government owes the nuclear industry the 25 billion, for failing on their end of the contract. So yeah, I guess I am that stupid. I am ever so stupid to believe the Nuclear industry wouldn't have split the cost with the US taxpayer evenly, had the project not been terminated.
The key term is they collected from their consumers. They did not take it out of their profit. Are you missing that point?
The breakdown should have been 50% Nuclear industry profits.
50% tax payer and they should only be on the hook for the military waste.

Not 27% tax payer and 73% Nuclear power customers, through raised rates. That was just a way of passing 100% of the bill off to tax payers, both customers and non customers.

Once again marginalize anyone who doesn't agree with you. Good job, many liberals would be proud.

[This message has been edited by dennis_6 (edited 09-22-2011).]

IP: Logged
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2011 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

dennis_6

7196 posts
Member since Aug 2001
You know what is stupid? Calling yourself pro-truth and then backing corporations who have been caught downplaying and outright lying. You are pro-nuclear industry, and in your view everyone is either pro or anti. You are on a crusade against the antis like this is some kind of holy war.

Not everyone is pro or anti. Nuclear power is an amazing thing when done right, however when you have politics inside a corporation that controls Nuclear power plants, its pretty frightening. You can support the technology, but not the politics, fraud, and corruption. Instead, you just wait for somebody to make a typo, a minor technical mistake, or the like so you can bash them. The ironic part of this, is you have down played the disaster from the start, and hence have been further from the truth than anyone else.

There is a pattern with nuclear accidents, Initial cover up, slow release of information, down playing, information tricking out, more down playing, over and over till most of the truth is out. That way it doesn't seem so bad to the population.

If TEPCO had came and said containment was breached and this would be 1/7th of Chernobyl by now in March, people would have went crazy. I fully expect this to get much closer to Chernobyl before its over.

dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2011 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

dennis_6

7196 posts
Member since Aug 2001
Radioactive iodine spread south of nuclear plant

A Japanese government survey shows that radioactive iodine emitted from the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant spread not only northwestward but also to the south of the plant.

The science ministry sampled soil at 2,200 locations, mostly in Fukushima Prefecture, in June and July, and created a map indicating the extent of the radioactive contamination as of June 14th.

Officials were able to obtain data for iodine 131 at only 400 locations, because of its short half-life of 8 days.

The latest map shows that iodine 131 spread northwest of the plant, just like cesium 137 as indicated on an earlier map. But the substance was also confirmed south of the plant at relatively high levels.
The researchers found that accumulation levels of iodine 131 were higher than those of cesium 137 in coastal areas south of the plant.

Ministry officials say clouds that moved southward over the plant apparently caught large amounts of iodine 131 that were emitted at the time.

Iodine 131 could cause thyroid cancer through internal exposure. The ministry is therefore trying to determine at what levels the substance spread immediately after the accident at the plant in March.

Thursday, September 22, 2011 11:11 +0900 (JST)
http://www3.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/22_12.html

carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2011 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post

So in effect you are saying instead of the government subsidization the nuclear power industry's waste disposal, it is the nuclear power industry's waste disposal fund that is subsidizing our government?

Hmmmm

Well, nuclear power companies were taxed $25 billion, and now the government is taking its ball and going home? I don't know. How do you read that?
carnut122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2011 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post

carnut122

9122 posts
Member since Jan 2004

Originally posted by dratts:

96 billion for yucca mountain and the last I heard there are problems with ground water entering the site. We still don't have anything more than theories on nuclear waste. The program was allowed to advance on the hope that something would be found to work before all the waste becomes critical. A little bit of a leap of faith it seems. Anyway there's where the money went and then some. Not to subsidize the government.

Ahh. So the nuclear industry only paid $25 billion of the $96 billion?
carnut122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2011 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post

carnut122

9122 posts
Member since Jan 2004

Originally posted by dennis_6:
Not everyone is pro or anti. Nuclear power is an amazing thing when done right, however when you have politics inside a corporation that controls Nuclear power plants, its pretty frightening. You can support the technology, but not the politics, fraud, and corruption. Instead, you just wait for somebody to make a typo, a minor technical mistake, or the like so you can bash them. The ironic part of this, is you have down played the disaster from the start, and hence have been further from the truth than anyone else.

I have to agree with Dennis on this part. Dennis puts out a lot of information. Rather than bringing something to the table, you seem content on throwing out red-herrings and arguing about minutia.
Maybe you could dig up some facts to support your side instead of attacking everybody for minute details? Yeh, I know, this is the opinion of a "leftist whacko."
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2011 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Dennis has brought a lot of misinformation to this forum. I have pointed out time and time again when he does it. Maybe you would rather just believe his misinformation? Like polonium is plutonium? Like all of the Fukushima 50 are going to die from radiation? Like there was a significant increase in birth defects in the Pacific Northwest? Like Chernobyl suffered a meltdown?

Or maybe like many liberals you really don't care what the real truth is. What you would really like is to just ignore the truth because it gets in the way of what you want to believe?

If you want info on the nuclear industry, or Fukushima or whatever I suggest you use google.
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2011 04:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

Dennis has brought a lot of misinformation to this forum. I have pointed out time and time again when he does it. Maybe you would rather just believe his misinformation? Like polonium is plutonium? Like all of the Fukushima 50 are going to die from radiation? Like there was a significant increase in birth defects in the Pacific Northwest? Like Chernobyl suffered a meltdown?

Or maybe like many liberals you really don't care what the real truth is. What you would really like is to just ignore the truth because it gets in the way of what you want to believe?

If you want info on the nuclear industry, or Fukushima or whatever I suggest you use google.

Maybe everyone rather believe you, where no meltdown has happened.

phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2011 05:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
I know this is way too complicated for you to understand but again Dennis, but here it is again

The core exploded.

Yes what was left of the core then burned and melted after the explosion. No, that isn't what is termed a 'melt down' by the nuclear industry. A melt down is what happened at TMI and Fukushima.

Maybe everyone rather believe you, where no meltdown has happened.

Your repeated attempts to try to put words into my mouth that I haven't said simply makes you more of a dumb ass liberal Dennis. A dumb ass liberal who like all dumb ass liberals, is much more intent on telling his wacko story, than being concerned at all about sticking to any facts. Because, just like a wacko dumb ass liberal, the truth only gets in the way of you telling the story you want to tell.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 09-23-2011).]

dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2011 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

I know this is way too complicated for you to understand but again Dennis, but here it is again

The core exploded.

Yes what was left of the core then burned and melted after the explosion. No, that isn't what is termed a 'melt down' by the nuclear industry. A melt down is what happened at TMI and Fukushima.

Your repeated attempts to try to put words into my mouth that I haven't said simply makes you more of a dumb ass liberal Dennis. A dumb ass liberal who like all dumb ass liberals, is much more intent on telling his wacko story, than being concerned at all about sticking to any facts. Because, just like a wacko dumb ass liberal, the truth only gets in the way of you telling the story you want to tell.

Are you high? We were talking about Fukushima. Fukushima did not have a core explosion, it had a melt down.
As far as liberal, that just proves you don't know me, now stop derailing this subject, we all know you love the nuclear power corporations. BTW, you will not silence me. Insults will not silence me, If you were even a 1/4 as intelligent as you think you are, you wouldn't have to resort to tactics like this, its sad really.

[This message has been edited by dennis_6 (edited 09-23-2011).]

dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2011 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

dennis_6

7196 posts
Member since Aug 2001

Polonium vs Plutonium, I already explained.
Fukushima 50, remains to be seen, however that comment was made when Japan claimed to only have 50 workers. The numbers are in the thousands which greatly cuts exposure time.
Wouldn't doubt the birth defects in the pacific northwest if I were you.
The remaining rods in chernobyl, not a a small amount, did MELT. Hence core explosion followed by meltdown.

You are insulting your own intelligence, go be a shill.

[This message has been edited by dennis_6 (edited 09-23-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2011 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carnut122:

No

The nuclear power industry paid $25 billion and only got the $14 billion exploratory project. The $96 billion storage project was never approved, never built.

dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2011 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post
More liberal whackos.....
-----------------------------------------
IRTA restricts MotoGP teams from taking personal food supply to Japan – MotoGP news

International Racing Teams Association (IRTA) has warned the MotoGP teams not to carry any type of food items to Japan.

The teams are conscious about the nuclear radiation at the surroundings of the Twin Ring Motegi circuit.

A disastrous earthquake and tsunami shook Japan earlier in 2011. During the trauma, a nuclear plant, Fukushima was breached and caused threats of nuclear radiation in the country. Though the plant is about 100 kilometres away from Motegi circuit, but the effects were expected to be causing trouble at the venue.

In order to be cautious, many teams requested to take their personal food supply to Japan. However, the IRTA issue an order which read, “We have been asked by Dorna to inform you that you should not pack food with your freight. Discovery by the Japanese Customs could result in delays or penalties imposed by the Japanese authorities.â€

Earlier in the season, following the earthquake disaster, many riders decided to boycott the Grand Prix of Japan. The biggest problem was to confirm the intensity of radiations.

Casey Stoner, Jorge Lorenzo, Valentino Rossi and Marco Simoncelli were the likeliest to skip the event. Many other riders also showed their concerns about the safety measures.

The IRTA document further stated as, “We repeat that, in our opinion, transport of food is unnecessary. Government agencies have not issued any general warnings about food consumption. Furthermore the independent report commissioned by Dorna reported on sampling and testing of many types of food at Motegi and the surrounding area and found absolutely no problems.â€

After a lot of criticism on the Japanese event, the International Motorcycle Federation (FIM) and Dorna Sports called ARPA agency to do its research. The ARPA took detailed tests and searched for any kind of radioactive problem or its after affects.

After a detailed testing, the French agency declared in a report that Motegi and its surroundings are safe for MotoGP to conduct its event. Finally, the riders have agreed after a report was issued but are still a bit sceptical about it.
Tagged in: MotoGP, FIM, Dorna Sports, IRTA, Fukushima, Grand Prix of Japan, APRA
http://blogs.bettor.com/IRT...n-MotoGP-news-a99593
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2011 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post
Read Full Story Here Home > News > Full Story
News
Fukushima finds cesium in Nihonmatsu rice, to hold more tests before shipment decision

The Fukushima Prefectural Government said on Sept. 23 that it had detected 500 becquerels of radioactive cesium per kilogram -- the government-set allowable limit -- in a sample of "Hitomebore" rice collected in Nihonmatsu's Obama district. It will greatly increase the number of testing locations there for a second test to decide whether to allow shipments of rice from the city.

After discovering radioactive cesium in the rice crop from the city, Nihonmatsu became the first area to be designated a "priority test area," which means the local government will increase the number of locations in the city where rice crops are tested for radioactive substances before deciding whether to allow shipments.

Early-season rice from across Fukushima Prefecture was already previously approved for shipments, and some municipalities have started shipping their regular season rice. The test results from Nihonmatsu have again stirred worries among farmers and others about effects on Fukushima products' reputation.

According to the prefectural government, 500 becquerels of radioactive cesium were detected in a rice sample collected on Sept. 12, and soil in its paddy field contained 3,000 becquerels of cesium per kilogram. Rice crops from 11 other locations in the Obama district had from undetectable amounts up to 212 becquerels of cesium.

Preliminary tests such as the one that found the problem rice in Nihonmatsu are being conducted about one week before harvesting in 370 zones covering the whole prefecture. Those municipalities where rice with 200 becquerels or more of cesium are found are designated as "priority test areas." Such areas get two testing locations per 15 hectares of land for a later second test that determines whether shipments from the zone will be allowed.

Following the Nihonmatsu test results, the Fukushima Prefectural Government plans to increase the number of testing locations there from around 40 to around 300. If rice with 500 becquerels or more cesium per kilogram is again found, shipments of all rice crops from that part of the city will be restricted.

Before the Nihonmatsu finding, the highest level of cesium detected in ordinary rice from Fukushima Prefecture in preliminary tests was 136 becquerels in Fukushima city's Onami district.

The Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries estimated the transfer coefficient of cesium from soil to rice crops at 0.1 (10 percent) and banned planting rice in paddy fields with more than 5,000 becquerels of cesium per kilogram of soil. Based on these values, in theory rice from the prefecture should not contain more than 500 becquerels of cesium.
http://mdn.mainichi.jp/mdnn...2a00m0na017000c.html
carnut122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2011 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post

I was hoping you'd contribute something.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2011 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carnut122:

No

The nuclear power industry paid $25 billion and only got the $14 billion exploratory project. The $96 billion storage project was never approved, never built.

Sorry to hear that you consider not letting others post mis-truths and get away with it as not contributing to this thread.
carnut122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2011 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post

Sorry to hear that you consider not letting others post mis-truths and get away with it as not contributing to this thread.

I understand your wanting to set the record straight when you feel it needs straightening. I'll leave it at that.
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2011 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post
Liberal whacko article from obscure source, part of my mis information campaign done out of stupidity to destroy the noble pursuit of free power for all through nuclear energy....
--------------------------------------------
Fukushima's neighbors lobby in U.S. against nuclear energy
Share this on:
Facebook Twitter Digg delicious reddit MySpace StumbleUpon LinkedIn
September 20, 2011|By Paul Courson, CNN

Sachiko Sato, a Japanese farmer, speaks in Washington about the impact of living near the Fukushima nuclear power plant.

Using firsthand accounts of coping with the threat of radioactive contamination, several Japanese citizens who lived near the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant hope to convince U.S. officials that nuclear energy poses an unacceptable risk.

Three operating reactors at the Fukushima facility suffered meltdowns in March from a combination of earthquake, tsunami and equipment failure that led to radiation leakage and widespread contamination.

"I come from Fukushima," said Sachiko Sato, a farmer, who traveled with two of her children to Washington. "Radiation affects this absolutely unchanged scenery, but it's still very much there."
Advertisement
Ads by Google

* Need Radiation Monitors?Mirion Technologies Your source for Radiation Protection www.Mirion.com
* Nuclear disaster in JapanCurrent situation in Fukushima. Read the latest news on RT.com rt.com

Her English wasn't perfect, but her fears came through clearly at a news conference Tuesday as she suggested that the Japanese government arbitrarily raised contamination standards to limit the payment of relocation money.

Sato's farm is in an area that no longer qualifies for assistance under relaxed measurements. She asked rhetorically, "Did they think the ability of people to sustain radiation became better after the accident?"

Two of her children, both teenagers, told of being frightened that they were exposed to radiation that could cause health problems in years to come.

Yukiko Anzai, an organic farmer whose bees produce honey as an agricultural commodity, said she and her husband may have to abandon farming because they don't know how radiation will affect their bees. She told reporters, "We have been farming for the happiness and health of the people, farming the way we did. Now we are really struggling. It is very difficult for us."

The two women are part of a group that includes activists who oppose Japan's reliance on nuclear energy and want to use the Fukushima disaster to curtail the use of atomic power. They met with U.S. congressional staff members Monday, and on Tuesday afternoon, they met with commissioners and staff members of the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission.

Japan is already at minimum reliance on atomic energy because of routine maintenance and scheduled shutdowns. Activists want to keep the plants closed. "There are 11 still operating and 43 shut temporarily," said Aileen Mioko Smith of Japan's Green Action.

"They're gradually being turned off" for maintenance, she explained, "so unless they start up again, none will be operating by March 2012." She acknowledged that Japan's government has every intention of restarting the nuclear plants.

But Smith and the Japanese families potentially exposed to the fallout from Fukushima say they're encouraged by the German government's decision after Japan's accident to discontinue atomic power plants over the next decade. The United States and other Western countries continue to envision a role for nuclear energy with a review of safeguards.

Japan's activists believe there is no safe path that includes nuclear energy.

Kaori Izumi, who is fighting the restart of Japan's atomic power plants once they close for maintenance, told reporters, "There is immense suffering in Fukushima, including Mrs. Sato and other families. The only way their suffering gets meaning is that we learn from this lesson."

Citing the well-known nuclear disasters of the past 30 years -- Pennsylvania's Three Mile Island, the Chernobyl plant in Ukraine and now Japan's Fukushima meltdown -- she said, "Can we afford not to learn? I don't think so."

http://articles.cnn.com/201...smith?_s=PM:POLITICS
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2011 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

dennis_6

7196 posts
Member since Aug 2001
Flammable gas detected in Fukushima pipe: TEPCO

* Foreign
* Japan devastated

2011-09-24 16:26

TOKYO, September 24, 2011 (AFP) - Flammable gas has been detected inside a pipe linked to a nuclear reactor at Japan's crippled Fukushima atomic power plant, its operator said Saturday.

Tokyo Electric Power Co (TEPCO) was unable to identify the gas but nonetheless said it was unlikely there would be an explosion in the reactor.

The company has been injecting nitrogen into the reactor so that the level of oxygen inside becomes low enough to prevent blasts.

But a TEPCO spokesman said workers at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant measured a 100-percent flammable gas in a pipe connected to the power station's reactor number one.

"It is not clear exactly where and how this gas was created," the spokesman told AFP. "We are considering ways to deal with it.

"It is likely that we will continue the survey the gas to identify it and use nitrogen to bring its level low enough" to avoid explosions, he said.

There were explosions at the reactors at the Fukushima nuclear plant after they went into meltdown following the March 11 earthquake and tsunami, which hit its cooling systems.

In the world's worst atomic disaster since Chernobyl, the Fukushima plant has since sent radiation into the air and sea, forcing tens of thousands of residents to evacuate and consumers to avoid food from the region.

Japan has promised to achieve a cold shutdown of the plant by the year-end.
http://www.mysinchew.com/node/64210
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2011 03:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post
Hydrogen accumulates in pipes at Fukushima's No. 1 reactor

* Previous ArticleCesium exceeding safety threshold detected in Fukushima rice
* Next ArticleFishermen's livelihoods still drowning in Fukushima

September 24, 2011

By HIDENORI TSUBOYA / Staff Writer

Hydrogen has accumulated to a level higher than previously thought in pipes connected to the No. 1 reactor containment vessel at the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant, the plant's operator said Sept. 23.

But Tokyo Electric Power Co. officials said an explosion was unlikely because nonflammable nitrogen was being pumped in to prevent oxygen from entering the containment vessel and triggering a blast. TEPCO also said the discovery of the hydrogen buildup will not affect the road map toward achieving a cold shutdown and other schedules.

TEPCO said it is investigating the possibility that hydrogen has also accumulated in a similar manner at the plant's No. 2 and No. 3 reactors.

However, the company acknowledged there was no way to tell whether the hydrogen in the pipes had been generated immediately after the onset of the crisis on March 11 or in later stages. Nor could TEPCO measure how much hydrogen may have been generated in the containment vessel.

The nitrogen injections are believed to have lowered the hydrogen concentration considerably, but some hydrogen, being lighter than nitrogen, may be accumulating near the top of the containment vessel without being driven out.

The discovery of the hydrogen accumulation came when TEPCO was analyzing gas in the pipes connected to the interior of the No. 1 reactor containment vessel while installing a device to reduce the amount of radioactive substances leaking from the vessel.

The hydrogen concentration was found to exceed 1 percent, the threshold of the measurement device. TEPCO said it was conducting a more detailed analysis on the concentration level.

TEPCO said most of the accumulated hydrogen was generated by a reaction under high temperatures between water vapor and the surface of nuclear fuel rods that were exposed after water was lost following the March 11 earthquake and tsunami.

Even now, the damaged reactors may be generating small amounts of hydrogen as water decomposes through irradiation from the melted fuel rods.

An explosion can occur in a gas containing more than 4 percent hydrogen and more than 5 percent oxygen.

TEPCO has been pumping nitrogen into the No. 1, No. 2 and No. 3 reactor containment vessels to drive out hydrogen from their interiors. The injection of nitrogen is also intended to create higher pressure levels than those outside to prevent oxygen in the air from entering the containment vessels.

In the early stages of the disaster, the Fukushima nuclear plant was rocked by hydrogen explosions that spewed radioactive materials into the environment.
By HIDENORI TSUBOYA / Staff Writer
http://ajw.asahi.com/articl...hima/AJ2011092411943
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2011 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post
September 27, 2011 4:48 PM
Fukushima Desolation Worst Since Nagasaki as Residents Flee
(Adds closing share price in sixth paragraph.)

Sept. 27 (Bloomberg) -- Beyond the police roadblocks that mark the no-go zone around Japan's wrecked Fukushima nuclear plant, six-foot tall weeds invade rice paddies and vines gone wild strangle road signs along empty streets.

Takako Harada, 80, returned to an evacuated area of Iitate village to retrieve her car. Beside her house is an empty cattle pen, the 100 cows slaughtered on government order after radiation from the March 11 atomic disaster saturated the area, forcing 160,000 people to move away and leaving some places uninhabitable for two decades or more.

“Older folks want to return, but the young worry about radiation,†said Harada, whose family ran the farm for 40 years. “I want to farm, but will we be able to sell anything?â€

What's emerging in Japan six months since the nuclear meltdown at the Tokyo Electric Power Co. plant is a radioactive zone bigger than that left by the 1945 atomic bombings at Hiroshima and Nagasaki. While nature reclaims the 20 kilometer (12 mile) no-go zone, Fukushima's $3.2 billion-a-year farm industry is being devastated and tourists that hiked the prefecture's mountains and surfed off its beaches have all but vanished.

The March earthquake and tsunami that caused the nuclear crisis and left almost 20,000 people dead or missing may cost 17 trillion yen ($223 billion), hindering recovery of the world's third-largest economy from two decades of stagnation.

Compensation Costs

A government panel investigating Tokyo Electric's finances estimated the cost of compensation to people affected by the nuclear disaster will exceed 4 trillion yen, Kyodo News reported today, without saying how it got the information. The stock fell 6.2 percent to 243 yen, the lowest since June 13.

The bulk of radioactive contamination cuts a 5 kilometer to 10 kilometer-wide swath of land running as far as 30 kilometers northwest of the nuclear plant, surveys of radiation hotspots by Japan's science ministry show. The government extended evacuations beyond the 20-kilometer zone in April to cover this corridor, which includes parts of Iitate village.

No formal evacuation zone was set up in Hiroshima after an atomic bomb was dropped on the city on Aug. 6, 1945, though as the city rebuilt relatively few people lived within 1 kilometer of the blast epicenter, according to the Hiroshima Atomic Bomb Museum. Food shortages forced a partial evacuation of the city in the summer of 1946.

Chernobyl Explosion

On April 26, 1986, an explosion at the Chernobyl reactor hurled 180 metric tons of nuclear fuel into the atmosphere, creating the world's first exclusion zone of 30 kilometers around a nuclear plant. A quarter of a century later, the zone is still classed as uninhabitable. About 300 residents have returned despite government restrictions.

The government last week said some restrictions may be lifted in outlying areas of the evacuation zone in Fukushima, which translates from Japanese as “Lucky Isle.†Residents seeking answers on which areas are safe complain of mixed messages.

“There are no simple solutions,†Timothy Mousseau, a professor of biological sciences at the University of South Carolina, said. Deciding whether life should go on in radiation tainted areas is a “question of acceptable risks and trade offs.â€

To Mousseau, one thing is clear.

‘Consequences'

“There will be consequences for some of the people who are exposed to levels that are being reported from the Fukushima prefecture,†Mousseau said by e-mail from Chernobyl, where he is studying radiation effects.

Japan abandoned any ambition to develop atomic weapons after the 1945 bombings. Two decades later, the nation embraced nuclear power to rebuild the economy after the war in the absence of domestic oil and gas supplies.

Tokyo Electric's decision in the 1960s to name its atomic plant Fukushima Dai-Ichi has today associated a prefecture of about 2 million people that's almost half the size of Belgium with radiation contamination. In contrast, Chernobyl is the name of a small town near the namesake plant in what today is Ukraine.

The entire prefecture has been stained because of the link, according to Governor Yuhei Sato.

“At Fukushima airport you don't see Chinese and Korean visitors like before because of negative associations,†he said.

Stigmatized

The fear of radiation was prevalent after the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings and it stigmatized the survivors, known as hibakusha, or people exposed to radiation. Many hibakusha concealed their past for fear of discrimination that would prevent them finding work or marriage partners, according to the Japan Confederation of A-and H-bomb Sufferers Organization.

Some people believed A-bomb survivors could emit radiation and others feared radiation caused genetic mutations, said Evan Douple, Associate Chief of Research at the Radiation Effects Research Foundation in Hiroshima.

An examination of more than 77,000 first-generation children in Hiroshima and Nagasaki after the bombings found no evidence of mutations, he said.

While radiation readings are lower in Fukushima than Hiroshima, Abel Gonzales, the vice-chair of the International Commission on Radiological Protection, said similar prejudices may emerge.

“Stigma. I have the feeling that in Fukushima this will be a very big problem,†Gonzales said in a symposium held in Fukushima City on the six-month anniversary of the disaster.

Bullying

Some children that fled Fukushima are finding out what Gonzales means.

Fukushima schoolchildren were being bullied at their new school in Chiba prefecture near Tokyo for “carrying radiation,†the Sankei newspaper reported in April, citing complaints made to education authorities. An 11-year-old Fukushima boy was hospitalized in Niigata prefecture after being bullied at his new school, Kyodo News reported April 23.

Produce from Fukushima's rich soil is also being shunned. Peaches, the prefecture's biggest agricultural product after rice, have halved in price this year. Beef shipments from the prefecture were temporarily suspended and contamination concerns stopped the town of Minami Soma from planting rice, according to local authorities.

Fallow Land

Some land around the Fukushima reactors will lie fallow for two decades or more before radiation levels fall below Japan's criteria for evacuation, the government said Aug. 26.

Radiation risks in the 20 kilometer zone forced the evacuation of about 8 percent, or 160,000, of some 2 million people who live in Fukushima. Almost 56,000 were sent to areas outside Fukushima, prefecture spokesman Masato Abe said by phone. More than 8,000 left on their own accord because of radiation fears, Abe said.

Inside the evacuation areas, levels of radiation higher than the government's criteria for evacuation have been recorded at 89 of 210 monitoring posts. At 24 of the sites, the reading was higher than the level at which the International Atomic Energy Agency says increases the risk of cancer.

Japan Atomic Energy Institute researcher Toshimitsu Homma used Science Ministry data to compare the geographic scale of the contamination in Fukushima with Chernobyl.

He estimates the no-go zone in Fukushima will cover 132 square kilometers, surrounded by a permanent monitoring area of 264 square kilometers, assuming Japan follows the criteria set by the Soviet Union in 1986.

The two areas combined equal about half the size of the five boroughs that comprise New York City. In the case of Chernobyl, the two zones cover a land mass 25 times greater, according to Homma's figures.

Intermittent Information

While scientists knew back in March that radiation contamination would create an uninhabitable zone in Fukushima, information to the public has come intermittently, said Hiroaki Koide, a nuclear physics scientist at Kyoto University.

“Many people in Fukushima have to face the reality that they cannot go back to their homes for decades,†Koide said.

Masaki Otsuka said it may be worse than that.

“I don't think I can ever go back to my house, because it was just 4 kilometers from the Dai-Ichi reactors,†the 51-year- old pipe welder said in an interview at an evacuation center in Azuma, Fukushima city, where he has lived for six months.

People's distrust of politicians and scientists, as well as conflicting commentary, makes it harder for residents to decide whether to stay or leave, said Michiaki Kai, a professor in environmental health science at Oita University of Nursing and Health Sciences.

Official Contradictions

Similar circumstances affected residents near Chernobyl and those close to the nuclear accident at Three Mile Island in the U.S. in 1979.

“Contradiction in some official statements, and the appearance of non-scientifically based ‘expert' voices, confused and added stress to the local populations in each case,†said Evelyn Bromet, distinguished professor in the department of psychiatry at Stony Brook State University of New York.

“Lies got told, contradictions got told. In the end it's easier to believe nobody,†Bromet said in an interview, citing mental health studies she did on people in the areas.

What radiation hasn't ruined, the earthquake and tsunami devastated. Fukushima prefecture welcomed 56 million domestic and overseas visitors in 2009, equal to 44 percent of Japan's population.

Surfing Canceled

The coastal town of Minami Soma this year canceled its annual qualifying stage for the world surfing championship, part of a waterfront that lured 84,000 beachgoers in July and August last year, said Hiroshi Tadano, head of the town's economic division. This year, nobody visited the beaches in the two months.

“Most of the beaches are destroyed,†Tadano said. “And of course, radiation played its part.â€

The area's biggest festival, Soma Noma Oi, a re-enactment of samurai battles, attracted 200,000 visitors last year. This year 37,000 came. Of the 300 horses typically used in the event, 100 were drowned in the tsunami and another 100 were evacuated due to radiation, Tajino said.

Minami Soma resident Miyaguchi, 54, lost his home and parents in the tsunami. He quit his job at Tokyo Electric, leaving him unemployed and housed in an evacuation center.

Still, he has no plans to move away. “Most people who wanted to move away have done so, but I can't live in big cities like Tokyo,†he said, declining to give his first name.

The future of Fukushima is in the hands of residents like Miyaguchi and Harada who say they want to stay and work to reclaim their land from disaster.

A giant banner in the playground of the closed Haramachi elementary school in Minami Soma makes that a promise: “To all of you wherever you are, we say we won't give up.â€

--With assistance from Makoto Miyazaki, Tsuyoshi Inajima and Chisaki Watanabe in Tokyo. Editors: Aaron Sheldrick, Peter Langan, Tim Coulter.
http://news.businessweek.co...QTGH3T563OI58KRUBPNF
PFF
System Bot
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2011 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post
Breaking News: High level of radiation is making hydrogen from H2O
Posted by Mochizuki on September 26th, 2011 · 9 Comments

These are the tonight’s tweets of actual Fukushima worker called Happy20790.

今日も無事帰ã£ã¦æ¥ã¾ã—ãŸã£ã€‚1å·æ©Ÿã®åŽŸå­ç‚‰å»ºå±‹ã¯ä»Šæ—¥ã‚‚作業中止ã§ã—。先週ã€å¯ç‡ƒæ€§ã‚¬ã‚¹æ¸¬å®šå™¨ã§4%Maxã£ã¦è¨€ã£ãŸã‘ã©ã¾ã•ã‹ã®100%越ãˆ(*_*)今ã‚る測定器ã¯å¯ç‡ƒæ€§ã‚¬ã‚¹ã‚’計るもã®ã ã‹ã‚‰æ°´ç´  å˜ä½“ã¯ã‚ã‹ã‚‰ãªã„ã‘ã©æ±é›»ã¯ã»ã¨ã‚“ã©ãŒæ°´ç´ ã ã‚ã†ã ã£ã¦è¨€ã£ã¦ã‚‹ã€‚

I managed to come back safely today. We couldn’t work at reactor 1 today, again. Last week,they said they detected 4% of hydrogen but it turned out to be over 100%. The current measurement tool is to detected only flammable gas, but Tepco says probably it is all hydrogen.

é…管切んãªãã¦è‰¯ã‹ã£ãŸï½žã€‚ã‚ã‚Šå¾—ãªã„事ã ã‘ã©ã€æœ€åˆã®å·¥ç¨‹ã«ã¯æ¸¬å®šãªã‚“ã¦é …ç›®ãªãã¦å‰æ—¥ã«æ±ºã¾ã£ãŸã‹ã‚‰ã€ãƒ¤ãƒã‹ã£ãŸã‚ˆã€‚æ°´ç´ å˜ä½“ã®æ¸¬å®šå™¨ã¯ä»Š1Fã«ã¯ãªãã¦ã€28æ—¥ã«æº–備出æ¥ã‚‹äºˆå®šãªã‚“ ã ã€‚28ã‹29æ—¥ã«æ¸¬å®šå‡ºæ¥ã‚‹ã¨æ€ã†ã€‚çµæžœã¯æ˜Žã‚‰ã‹ã ã‘ã©ã­ã€‚

We would have been all dead if we cut of the pipe. Unbelievable story, but as our original schedule, we didn’t plan to check the presence of flammable gas. The process was added the day before the day. It’s so scary.

The measurement tool to detect only hydrogen is not in Fukushima plant right now.

It’s coming on 9/28. We are to measure it on 28th or 29th but the result is already obvious. Most of the gas is hydrogen.

ãã®å¾Œã¯çª’ç´ ç½®æ›ã—ã¦çª’素パージã—ãªãŒã‚‰åˆ‡æ–­ã™ã‚‹è¨ˆç”»ã‚’検討ã—ã¦ã‚‹ã€‚空気中ã®é…¸ç´ æ¿ƒåº¦ã¯18ï¼…ä½ã ã‹ã‚‰ç©ºæ°—ã«è§¦ã‚Œã¦ã‚‚爆発ã ã‹ã‚‰å‡„ã怖ã„ã‚“ã ã‘ã©â€¦ã€‚窒素も大é‡ã«ä½¿ã†ã‹ã‚‰é…¸æ¬ äº‹æ•…ã‚‚å¿ƒé… ã ã—…。

then we are going to inject nitrogen to cut out to pipes. but normal air contains 18% of oxygen, which is enough to cause a hydrogen explosion even without fire. It’s so scary. Injecting nitrogen may also cause lack of oxygen..

æ°´ç´ ãŒé…管内ã«æºœã¾ã£ã¦ã‚‹ã®ã¯äº‹æ•…当åˆã®ã‚‚ã®ãŒæŠœã‘ã¦ãªã„ã‚„ã¤ã‚„ã€æ–°ãŸãªæ°´ç´ ãŒæºœã¾ã£ã¦â€¦ã¨ä¸¡æ–¹ã®ç†ç”±ãŒã‚ã‚‹ã¿ãŸã„。新ãŸãªæ°´ç´ ã¯è‰²ã€…ãªæƒ…å ±ã«ã‚ˆã‚‹ã¨ã€ã©ã†ã‚‚燃料被覆管ã®ï½¼ï¾žï¾™ï½¶ï¾›ï ½²ã®åå¿œã§ã¯ãªãã¦æ°´è’¸æ°—ãŒé«˜ç·šé‡ã‚’æµ´ã³ã‚‹ã¨æ°´ç´ ãŒç™ºç”Ÿã™ã‚‹ã¿ãŸã„。

They say there are two possibilities why there’s so much hydrogen remain there still.

* (1) Some of it remained even after the hydrogen explosion.
* (2) New hydrogen came out ..

From looking at variety of information, it seems like it’s not from the (thermal) Zircaloy reaction.

It’s probably that high radiation is producing hydrogen out of H2O.

ã©ã“ã«ã©ã‚Œã ã‘溜ã¾ã£ã¦ã‚‹ã‹ã‚ã‹ã‚“ãªã„ã‹ã‚‰å¤§å¤‰ã ã‚ˆã€‚原å­ç‚‰å»ºå±‹ã ã‘ã˜ã‚ƒãªãã¦ï¾€ï½°ï¾‹ï¾žï¾å»ºå±‹ã®é…管ã ã£ã¦å±ãªã„ã—…。凄ã„é…管ã®é‡ã ã‚ˆã€‚対象é…管ã ã‘アイソレ(仕切る)出æ¥ã‚Œã°ã„ã„ã‚ “ã ã‘ã©ã€ä»•åˆ‡ã‚Œã‚‹(アイソレ)ãƒãƒ«ãƒ–も壊れã¦ã‚‹ã—ã€å¥å…¨ã§ã‚‚気体を止ã‚ã‚‹ã«ã¯é›£ã—ã„ã—…。

It’s impossible to know how much hydrogen is stocked and where. It could be everywhere. and the amount of the pipes are crazy..If we can identify the pipe that has hydrogen inside,we could isolate the part but the valves are broken and it’s not enough to stop gas.

æ±é›»ã¯å¯¾è±¡é…管ã ã‘ãªã‚“ã¨ã‹å¯¾å¿œã—ã¦å·¥äº‹é€²ã‚ã‚‹ã¿ãŸã„ã ã‘ã©ã€ä½œæ¥­å´ã¨ã—ã¦ã¯å…ˆã«å…¨ä½“ã‚’ãªã‚“ã¨ã‹ã—ãªã„ã¨ã£ã¦è€ƒãˆã‚‹ã‘ã©å¤šåˆ†ç„¡ç†ãªã‚“ã ã‚ã†ãªã€‚

Tepco is planning to do with only the “troubled†pipes, but from the view of us, actual workers, we want them to check the whole plant first..

æ±é›»ã¯1å·æ©Ÿçˆ†ç™ºã®æ™‚も絶対爆発ã¯ç„¡ã„ã£ã¦è¨€ã£ã¦ã‚ªã‚¤ãƒ©é”ã¯ï¼’å·æ©Ÿã®ä¸­ã®ä½œæ¥­ã€è‡ªè¡›éšŠã‚„消防ã¯ãƒ¤ãƒ¼ãƒ‰ä½œæ¥­ã—ã¦ãŸæ™‚ã«ï¾„゙ドドッカーンã¦ããŸã‹ã‚‰ãªã。自衛隊ã¯æ±é›»ä¿¡ã˜ãªã„ã£ã¦æ’¤é€€ã— ã¡ã‚ƒã†ã—…。ã‚ã‚ŒãŒãªãゃもã£ã¨è‡ªè¡›éšŠæ‰‹ä¼ã£ãŸã‹ã‚‚ãªã®ã«ã€‚

In the last explosion of the reactor 1, they told us there would never be an explosion. We were working at reactor 2, and fire fighters and self defense force were working at the yard, when it exploded.

–> then self defense force quit trusting Tepco anymore and they withdrew.

ãã‚“ãªä»Šã®ç¾çŠ¶ã§28æ—¥ã«é¿é›£æº–備区域ãŒè§£é™¤ã•ã‚Œã‚‹ã€‚ã‚‚ã†å°‘ã—å¾…ã¦ãªã„ã®ã‹ãªã…。ã›ã‚ã¦ã‚«ãƒãƒ¼ãƒªãƒ³ã‚°ãŒå‡ºæ¥ã‚‹ã¾ã§ã€‚最近ニュースも詳ã—ãä¼ãˆãªã„ã‹ã‚‰å±é™ºæ€§ãŒã‚ã‹ã‚‰ãªã„ã®ã‹ãªãã€‚æ±šæŸ “水処ç†ã ã£ã¦ï½»ï¾˜ï½°ãŒæ­¢ã¾ã£ãŸã‚Šã¾ã ã¾ã å®‰å¿ƒå‡ºæ¥ãªã„ã—…。

In this situation, they are going to lift the mandatory evacuating area on 9/28. They should wait at least until we finish making the cover for reactor 1.

Recently mass media don’t broadcast any details so they might not be afraid anymore. Even the water purifying system is broken and being stopped.

From his valuable statements, we can tell the hydrogen is still being produced by the very high radiation hitting H2O in the reactor.

Nobody has seen it by their own eyes,but the melted fuel rods must be very active still.

Hydrogen keeps being supplied.

Science journalist Hirose Takashi commented to Shukan Asahi on 9/23,

3月ã«ç¦å³¶ã®åŽŸå­ç‚‰ã§ãƒ¡ãƒ«ãƒˆãƒ€ã‚¦ãƒ³ã—ãŸæ ¸ç‡ƒæ–™ã®æ¸©åº¦ã¯ã€ï¼”ï¼ï¼ï¼â„ƒã«ã‚‚ãªã£ã¦ã€å±é™ºãªæ”¾å°„性物質ã¯ã€ã»ã¨ã‚“ã©ã™ã¹ã¦ãŒæ°—化ã™ã‚‹æ¸©åº¦ã‚’ã¯ã‚‹ã‹ã«è¶…ãˆã¦ã„ãŸã€‚内部被æ›ã§ç‰¹ã«ã‚¹ãƒˆãƒ­ãƒ³ãƒã‚¦ã ƒ ã¨ãƒ—ルトニウムãŒã€ã‚¬ã‚¹åŒ–ã—ã¦å¤§é‡ã«æ”¾å‡ºã•ã‚ŒãŸ

In March, fuel rods started meltdown in the reactor.They became hot as 4000℃, which is hot enough to make most of the radioactive material evaporated.

Especially plutonium and strontium were evaporated, spread around as gas.

We were afraid of melt through, but we mustn’t forget it’s still HIGHLY radioactive.

Now Tepco is checking reactor 2 and 3,but both of them will turn to be bull of hydrogen.

Now Tokyo is facing fateful crisis.

http://fukushima-diary.com/...g-hydrogen-from-h2o/
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2011 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

dennis_6

7196 posts
Member since Aug 2001
Saturday, September 24, 2011
#Fukushima I Nuke Plant: Steam Rising from Reactors 2 and 3

The latest videos of Reactors 2 and 3 at Fukushima I Nuclear Power Plant show steam rising from the locations where the reactors are located.

The video of Reactor 3 was taken on August 24, and the video of Reactor 2 was taken on September 17 when the company sampled the air using the remote-control crane; a video camera was attached to the boom.

You can download the zip files from TEPCO's Photos for Press page for your record (Reactor 3, Reactor 2), or you can view them here, courtesy of the Mainichi Shinbun video page.

Reactor 3, August 24, 2011 (see this document for the view angle):
Reactor 2, September 17, 2011, from the opening on the east side of the reactor building (see this document for the view angle):

According to Asahi Shinbun (9/24/2011), TEPCO thinks:

æ±é›»ã¯ã€Œæ¹¯æ°—ã®ä¸‹ã«ã¯åŽŸå­ç‚‰ãŒã‚る。原å­ç‚‰ã‹ã‚‰æ¼ã‚ŒãŸæ°´è’¸æ°—ãŒç«‹ã¡ä¸Šã£ã¦ã„ã‚‹ã®ã‹ã€é›¨ãŒå…¥ã‚Šè¾¼ã‚“ã§åŽŸå­ç‚‰ã®ãµãŸã®ç†±ã§è’¸ç™ºã—ã¦ã„ã‚‹ã®ã§ã¯ãªã„ã‹ã€ã¨è©±ã—ã¦ã„る。

"Under the steam are the reactors. It could be either the steam is escaping from the reactor, or the rainwater is evaporating on the lid of the reactor which is hot."

Looking at the videos, they do not look like rainwater being evaporated, as the steam comes out unevenly and sporadically. If it's rainwater I would imagine a steady rise of steam.
http://ex-skf.blogspot.com/...nt-steam-rising.html
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2011 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post
* News/Features
* Business
* Views
* Cool Japan
* Environment
* Fun Spots
* Sports
* What's on
* Biz Info/Press Release

U.S. secretly asked Japan to help dump nuclear reactors

BY TAKUYA SUZUKI STAFF WRITER

2011/09/27

Printopen the story for print

Share Article ã“ã®ã‚¨ãƒ³ãƒˆãƒªã‚’ã¯ã¦ãªãƒ–ックマークã«è¿½åŠ  Yahoo!ブックマークã«ç™»éŒ² ã“ã®ã‚¨ãƒ³ãƒˆãƒªã‚’del.icio.usã«ç™»éŒ² ã“ã®ã‚¨ãƒ³ãƒˆãƒªã‚’livedoorクリップã«ç™»éŒ² ã“ã®ã‚¨ãƒ³ãƒˆãƒªã‚’Buzzurlã«ç™»éŒ²

photoA Russian Navy vessel dumps liquid radioactive waste into waters near Japan in October 1993. (Asahi Shimbun file photo)

The United States secretly sought Japan's support in 1972 to enable it to dump decommissioned nuclear reactors into the world's oceans under the London Convention, an international treaty being drawn up at the time.

Countries working on the wording of the pact wanted to specifically prohibit the dumping of radioactive waste at sea.

But Washington wanted to incorporate an exceptional clause in the case of decommissioned nuclear reactors.

These facts came to light in diplomatic records held by the Foreign Ministry in Tokyo and released at the request of The Asahi Shimbun.

Japan did not offer a clear answer when it was approached by the United States on the issue. Eventually, however, Washington succeeded in incorporating the clause into the treaty.

In 1972, the United States was already dismantling early-stage nuclear reactors that had been used for testing. However, the disposal method of large-scale nuclear reactors for commercial purposes had not been decided although it was an issue that could not be shelved indefinitely.

Since Japan, a key U.S. ally, had already started its own nuclear power generation program, Washington did not hesitate to seek Tokyo's backing for its request.

It was apparent that the United States constructed nuclear reactors without having decided on disposal methods, forcing it to consider dumping them at sea after they were decommissioned.

The documents obtained by The Asahi Shimbun were signed by Japan's ambassador to Britain and designated as top secret.

According to the records, a U.S. State Department official who was part of the U.S. delegation discussing the terms of the treaty, met his Japanese counterpart in November 1972. In that meeting, the official explained that the United States had a number of early-stage nuclear reactors which had reached their life spans. He said Washington was facing problems disposing of them.

The official noted that any attempt to bury the reactors on land would invite a public backlash.

He also pointed to the financial difficulty of scientifically processing the reactors until the risk of radioactive contamination was totally eliminated.

Then, the official said the only other option was to dump them at sea, and asked Japan for cooperation.

According to Kumao Kaneko, now aged 74 and then a member of the Foreign Ministry team involved in the negotiations, Japan did not take specific steps to assist the United States in this delicate matter.

Eventually, during the general meeting of countries for the London Convention, the United States proposed incorporating a clause that would enable it to dump nuclear reactors at sea in exceptional cases in which all other means of disposal presented a risk to human health.

When presenting the proposal, the United States made no mention of its intention to dump its nuclear reactors at sea far into the future. The proposal was accepted.

In the early 1970s, sea pollution was a huge international issue.

Against that backdrop, countries worked feverishly to put the finishing touches on the London Convention. The treaty designated high-level radioactive substances as well as other materials, including mercury and cadmium, as waste whose dumping at sea is prohibited.

In 1993 revisions to the London Convention, the dumping of radioactive waste at sea was totally prohibited. However, the clause that approved of dumping in exceptional cases remained.

For this reason, under the London Convention, it is possible for member countries of the treaty to dump radioactive waste at sea if they obtain the OK from the other parties as well as the International Atomic Energy Agency.

According to the IAEA, the United States has not dumped radioactive waste at sea since 1970. Instead, it buries decommissioned nuclear reactors underground.

http://www.asahi.com/english/TKY201109260363.html
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2011 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

dennis_6

7196 posts
Member since Aug 2001
Tuesday, September 27, 2011
#Radiation Map by Ministry of Education: Gunma Looks Worse Than Expected

On September 27 the Ministry of Education and Science announced the result of their latest aerial survey of radiation contamination they did over Gunma Prefecture, and many people are dismayed that the contamination in the prefecture looks worse than feared.

So far, the Ministry has done the aerial surveys and mapped air radiation and soil contamination in: Fukushima, Miyagi, Yamagata, Ibaraki, Tochigi, and Gunma.

From 9/27/2011 map, on air radiation (microsievert/hour, 1 meter off the ground):

Maps at link
http://ex-skf.blogspot.com/...ry-of-education.html
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2011 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

dennis_6

7196 posts
Member since Aug 2001
News: Actual workers talk about Fukushima
Posted by Mochizuki on September 26th, 2011 · 3 Comments

At the moment the conditions at Unit 1 of Fukushima nuclear power plant continues to be chaos, so Tadaharu Murakami (pseudonym), 30 years, an employee of a company that works as a subcontractor for Tokyo Electric Power.

“The workers are not enough, TEPCO has recently committed even many people without experience who have never worked in a nuclear plant. As for the places of work, everything is really chaotic. It educates the people by giving them the ABCs teaches fundamental things such as wearing protective clothing like you.â€

(On The Pointy Guy)

As a symbol of the discontent that elicits such a situation, there was an “incident†on 28 August has a live camera from TEPCO, which is mounted inside the block 1, sent pictures of a “mysterious†staff, who has placed himself in front of the lens and has said anything, while he pointed his finger at the camera.

Murakami explains that after the conference on 30th August, during which expressed Yasuhiro Sonoda, responsible parliamentarians of the Cabinet, the wish that he would like to share the thoughts of “this personâ€, what he thinks, the guy who pretends to be that person and the real conditions on the website the bulletin board system of “2channel†has been disclosed. He has hit the nail on the head when he said that “for the people who work there, the working conditions are unfair and illegal. We have no insurance, we are poorly paid and we even have a contract. â€

Murakami confirmed, “that what he wrote on the Internet, the truth. Even when I worked before the accident in March as a temporary worker in Fukushima Daiichi have, you have promised me 15,000 yen a day and I’ve got nothing. “He continues,†when I asked at the sitting of the subcontractor, why do not they pay me what they owe me, they said, ‘You work for a subcontractor? So they have no right to make such a request.â€

I turned also to workers of TEPCO, which have responded harshly to me, I consider myself strictly to the rules of the line and that’s all. “I wait one more month and if they do not pay me, I’ll sue the subcontractor. “Murakami is confirmed by the descriptions, which are made on the internet about the poor accommodation,†even when it has cooled a bit in early September, break every day at least 10 workers due to fatigue together. I want them to rapidly improve the living conditions.â€

Osamu Sato (pseudonym), an approximately forty years old, is also working for a subcontractor of TEPCO. He has the explanations that have been recently released by TEPCO denied and replied that “there is no reason to mention that the situation had stabilized, etc., that’s not true.â€
“TEPCO announced that the situation is fine, although on the grounds of the things that are very much behind schedule, much more numerous than those that run well. This is the extreme main obstacle drive more radioactivity in the key zones.

On 1 August, measurements show in addition to an exhaust pipe between reactor 1 and 2 incredibly high readings, which can hardly believe it: 10,000 millisievert/hour! (Such a dose to take once meant certain death).

From there it always escape greatly increased radiation doses. It has begun, and from there to discover little by little other zones, where the values are higher than 100 millisievert, zones which are provided with a cone that bears “forbidden access†the inscription, in the vicinity of such zones can not be work.

Even many experienced workers from the nuclear industry have refused to work in Fukushima, she said, “This is suicide,†because they know the effects of elevated radioactivity. To compensate for this, we hired more and more people without experience, instead of being useful to increase the chaos.â€

Whether you begin the process of establishing a decontamination system or whether the reactor buildings with a lack of protection surrounds, at the end are nothing more than the emergency measures.

You will not find a real solution that allows to separate the molten fuel rods, which are the cause of the diffusion of radioactive material when the technician can not approach the fast reactor core. In any case, it is an operation “almost impossibleâ€, said the analysis by Masashi Goto, Toshiba developed for the nuclear reactor cores.

“In the blocks 1, 2 and 3, there is a strong possibility that has emerged during the melting of nuclear fuel not only from the pressure vessel, but also from the protective sheath. At the moment nobody is able to determine, is melted in the extent and to what extent the core. I can not imagine how people can work there or at another location, where the danger has reached a point that nobody has ever experienced. “

source link

http://fukushima-diary.com/...28Fukushima+Diary%29
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2011 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

dennis_6

7196 posts
Member since Aug 2001
Japanese PM considered evacuation of Tokyo

Updated September 28, 2011 19:00:00

Source: PM | Duration: 5min 23sec

Topics: nuclear-accident, japan

Transcript

MARK COLVIN: But first an exclusive insight into one of this year's biggest stories - the Fukushima meltdowns.

Kenichi Matsumoto is the ultimate insider.

As special advisor to Japan's prime minister and cabinet he witnessed both the government's and the plant operator's responses to the worst nuclear accident in a quarter of a century.

And when it comes to the meltdowns, Professor Matsumoto paints a picture of cover-ups, incompetence and communication breakdown.

He confirms that the operator of Fukushima - TEPCO - wanted to abandon the stricken plant and that the prime minister at the time - Naoto Kan - contemplated evacuating tens of millions of people from in and around Tokyo.

Professor Matsumoto also accuses the Japanese leadership of knowing months ago that areas around the nuclear plant would not be habitable for decades.

North Asia correspondent Mark Willacy reports from Tokyo.

MARK WILLACY: He's been described as the prime minister's 'brains trust' but Kenichi Matsumoto isn't a nuclear physicist or a scientific genius. The history professor and author was a special advisor to the Japanese cabinet when a tsunami slammed into the Fukushima nuclear plant.

So he would become a witness to history and he's given the ABC an ultimate insider's account of what happened in the hours and days after March 11, as three of the Fukushima reactors bubbled towards meltdown. And he's damning of the plant's operator - TEPCO.

KENICHI MATSUMOTO (translated): First TEPCO did not convey accurate information about the accident to the Prime Minister. It tried to make the disaster look small. Then TEPCO's headquarters wanted to evacuate the nuclear plant, but the chief of the facility vowed not to leave. So prime minister Kan was outraged because he wasn't getting proper information or the truth.

MARK WILLACY: This lack of clear and accurate information was feeding panic, both in communities around the Fukushima plant, and around the cabinet table in Tokyo.

In the end TEPCO was ordered to keep its people at the plant and to start feeding the government more information.

Special advisor Kenichi Matsumoto reveals that the prime minster at the time, Naoto Kan, was considering evacuating 30 million people, after being briefed on a worst-case scenario.

KENICHI MATSUMOTO (translated): It's true that the Prime Minister said we might have to evacuate people from Tokyo. There was no clue about the amount of radiation coming from the Fukushima plant, or if it was spreading over 100 or 200 kilometres. If that was the case, Tokyo would be in danger. And Prime Minister Kan actually said that eastern Japan might not be able to keep functioning; that it might collapse.

MARK WILLACY: In the end, talk of tens of millions being evacuated was dismissed, with fears it could cause mass panic and chaos, worse than the nuclear crisis itself.

But at the time what was collapsing, or more accurately, melting, were the fuel rods in reactors 1, 2, and 3, after they were fully or partially exposed. In less than 24 hours, the number 1 reactor core had melted and burnt a hole through the pressure vessel. It wasn't until three months later that the Japanese government confirmed that the outer containment vessel had also been breached.

But special advisor to the cabinet, Kenichi Matsumoto isn't just critical of TEPCO's handling of the nuclear crisis, he's also scathing of the then prime minister and his former boss Naoto Kan.

KENICHI MATSUMOTO (translated): I don't think he handled it well. Because it was such a terrible accident, information should have been shared with the whole cabinet. But it wasn't. The information stopped with Mr Kan who handled it alone. So the cabinet was isolated and wasn't able to formulate its advice properly.

MARK WILLACY: Mr Kan has since resigned and Kenichi Matsumoto has also left his post as special advisor to the cabinet. What remains are 80,000 people displaced by the nuclear disaster. They're now in their seventh month living in shelters or temporary housing and many are desperate to know if they can ever return to their homes.

Kenichi Matsumoto says the government has known for months that thousands will not be able to return.

KENICHI MATSUMOTO (translated): The cabinet knew right after the disaster that some people would not be able to live in their communities for 10 to 20 years, especially those a few kilometres from the plant. The government should have conveyed the truth to the evacuees. But it felt scared; it feared telling the truth to the people.

MARK WILLACY: Kenichi Matsumoto has now left politics for the more sedate world of academia, returning to his history post at a university outside of Tokyo.

But he's still determined to write the history of the Fukushima nuclear crisis from his unique perspective from the inside.

This is Mark Willacy in Tokyo for PM.

MARK COLVIN: We approached the former prime minister Naoto Kan for a response but received no reply. A spokesman for TEPCO told us the company never tried to downplay information about the nuclear disaster, but acknowledged that there were mistakes made and some confusion at the start of the crisis.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/...026548?section=world
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post09-28-2011 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

Tuesday, September 27, 2011
#Radiation Map by Ministry of Education: Gunma Looks Worse Than Expected

On September 27 the Ministry of Education and Science announced the result of their latest aerial survey of radiation contamination they did over Gunma Prefecture, and many people are dismayed that the contamination in the prefecture looks worse than feared.

So far, the Ministry has done the aerial surveys and mapped air radiation and soil contamination in: Fukushima, Miyagi, Yamagata, Ibaraki, Tochigi, and Gunma.

From 9/27/2011 map, on air radiation (microsievert/hour, 1 meter off the ground):

Maps at link
http://ex-skf.blogspot.com/...ry-of-education.html

It just keeps getting worse, doesn't it? Is it whacko to say that? After all, it is getting worse in some ways, ways that many folks actually living there (and not here typing on the internet) really care about.

Radiation levels at 1 meter above ground:

Presumably being emitted by Cesium isotopes shown here:

Note, Cesium and Iodine isotopes weren't the only radioactive materials emitted by the reactor meltdowns, they're just the only elements they're apparently tracking the spread of through the biosphere there. I know they've found plutonium that was traced back to these particular reactors, it would be interesting to see a full survey map of all contaminants, not just the Cesium they're using as markers.

[This message has been edited by JazzMan (edited 09-29-2011).]

dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2011 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:

It just keeps getting worse, doesn't it? Is it whacko to say that? After all, it is getting worse in some ways, ways that many folks actually living there (and not here typing on the internet) really care about.

No, its whacko to even suggest nuclear power corporations do anything but tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but truth. Anything outside that makes you a liar, stupid, and a liberal whacko. /sarcasm.
Seriously though, I don't think its getting all that much worse, I just think they are slowly feeding people the truth, the frog boiling slowly in water scenario.

JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-28-2011 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
All I've ever seen on radioactive isotope contamination maps for this nuclear catastrophe don't show the size of the area impacted in relation to the total size of the Japanese nation. Here's a map of the whole nation of Japan:

Looking at the latest contamination zones it appears that a significant percentage of Japan's land area is contaminated. That's why it's hard to compare it to Chernobyl accurately. Chernobyl ruined more square miles, but the percentage of the landmass that Chernobyl affected was much smaller compared to the total USSR at the time compared to how much of Japan's been ruined by Fukushima. As a percentage of inhabited, actively worked arable land, Fukushima is far worse than Chernobyl which affected mainly unharvested forest and wilderness.

And that's the real problem here, now, today.
carnut122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2011 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post

No, its whacko to even suggest nuclear power corporations do anything but tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but truth. Anything outside that makes you a liar, stupid, and a liberal whacko. /sarcasm.
Seriously though, I don't think its getting all that much worse, I just think they are slowly feeding people the truth, the frog boiling slowly in water scenario.

Hmm. I agree with both of you. The crisis isn't over and radiation exposure is cumulative. So, as the days pass and it's not under control, more radiation is being released into the environment. OTOH, the magnitude of the situation seems to be drip-fed to the public so as not to create fear. I guess distrust is preferable to fear?
PFF
System Bot
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2011 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post
People always distrust government, so nothing new there. Fear, however would be dangerous.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2011 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
So based on those two maps, what color(s) are considered unsafe? Please specify what map when answering. btw Jazzman, the link behind both maps go to the same (brown) large map.

Anyone have a translation of the legend? All I know in Japanese is how to say yes and hello. I have no idea what anything looks like in writing.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 09-29-2011).]

dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2011 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post
* ASIA NEWS
* SEPTEMBER 29, 2011

Japan Officials Failed to Hand Out Radiation Pills in Quake's Aftermath

BY YUKA HAYASHI

TOKYO—Government officials failed to distribute to thousands of people pills that could have minimized radiation risks from the March nuclear accident, government documents show.

The disclosure is the latest evidence of government neglect of emergency procedures in the chaotic days after the disaster, in which an earthquake and tsunami damaged the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant.

The Fukushima area and some municipalities surrounding the stricken plant had ample stocks of potassium iodide, like most local communities near nuclear reactors around the world. That is a relatively safe compound that can prevent thyroid cancer, the most common serious outcome of a major ...

http://online.wsj.com/artic...596321581004368.html
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2011 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

dennis_6

7196 posts
Member since Aug 2001
Strong quake rocks northeast Japan, no immediate reports of damage

By Associated Press, Updated: Thursday, September 29, 5:38 AM

TOKYO — A strong earthquake has rocked northeastern Japan, which is still recovering from the devastating tsunami six months ago.

The quake Thursday had a preliminary magnitude of 5.6. There were no immediate reports of damage and no tsunami warning was issued.

The earthquake was centered off Fukushima, which was severely hit by the quake and tsunami in March that left more than 21,000 people dead or missing. Fukushima is about 150 miles (240 kilometers) northeast of Tokyo.

The March disaster touched off the worst nuclear crisis since Chernobyl, generating meltdowns, fires and explosions at the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear facility.

The plant’s operator said there were no signs of abnormalities at the plant from the quake on Thursday.

http://www.washingtonpost.c...IQAtqnl6K_story.html

[This message has been edited by dennis_6 (edited 09-29-2011).]

dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2011 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

dennis_6

7196 posts
Member since Aug 2001
September 28, 2011, 5:11 pm
Fukushima’s Contamination Produces Some Surprises at Sea
By DAVID JOLLY
Ken Buesseler on his boat.Ken Kostel, Woods Hole Oceanographic InstitutionKen Buesseler on his boat.

Six months after the accident at Fukushima Daiichi, the news flow from the stricken nuclear power plant has slowed, but scientific studies of radioactive material in the ocean are just beginning to bear fruit.

The word from the land is bad enough. As my colleague Hiroko Tabuchi reported on Saturday, Japanese officials have detected elevated radiation levels in rice near the crippled reactors. Worrying radiation levels had already been detected in beef, milk, spinach and tea leaves, leading to recalls and bans on shipments.

Off the coast, the early results indicate that very large amounts of radioactive materials were released, and may still be leaking, and that rather than being spread through the whole ocean, currents are keeping a lot of the material concentrated.

Most of that contamination came from attempts to cool the reactors and spent fuel pools, which flushed material from the plant into the ocean, and from direct leaks from the damaged facilities.

Japanese government and utility industry scientists estimated this month that 3,500 terabecquerels of cesium 137 was released directly into the sea from March 11, the date of the earthquake and tsunami, to late May. Another 10,000 terabecquerels of cesium 137 made it into the ocean after escaping from the plant as steam.
Ken Buesseler, a marine chemist, paid his respects at Namiwake Shrine outside the city of Sendai, Japan, before departing on a cruise to study radiation releases into the ocean from the Fukushima power plant.Ken Kostel, Woods Hole Oceanographic InstitutionKen Buesseler, a marine chemist, paid his respects at Namiwake Shrine outside Sendai, Japan, before departing on a cruise to study radiation releases into the ocean from the Fukushima power plant.

The leakage very likely isn’t over, either. The Tokyo Electric Power Company, the operator of the plant, said Sept. 20 that it believed that something on the order of 200 to 500 tons a day of groundwater might still be pouring into the damaged reactor and turbine buildings.

Ken Buesseler, a scientist at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, who in 1986 studied the effects of the Chernobyl disaster on the Black Sea, said the Fukushima disaster appeared to be by far the largest accidental release of radioactive material into the sea.

Chernobyl-induced radiation in the Black Sea peaked in 1986 at about 1,000 becquerels per cubic meter, he said in an interview at his office in Woods Hole, Mass. By contrast, the radiation level off the coast near the Fukushima Daiichi plant peaked at more than 100,000 becquerels per cubic meter in early April.

Before Fukushima, in 2010, the Japanese coast measured about 1.5 becquerel per cubic meter, he said.

‘‘Chernobyl might have been five times bigger, over all, but the ocean impact was much smaller,’’ Mr. Buesseler said.

Working with a team of scientists from other institutions, including the University of Tokyo and Columbia University, Mr. Buesseler’s Woods Hole group in June spent 15 days in the waters off northeast Japan, studying the levels and dispersion of radioactive substances there and the effect on marine life.

The project, financed primarily by the Moore Foundation after governments declined to participate, continued to receive samples from Japanese cruises into July.

While Mr. Buesseler declined to provide details of the findings before analysis is complete and published, he said the broad results were sobering.

“When we saw the numbers — hundreds of millions of becquerels — we knew this was the largest delivery of radiation into the ocean ever seen,’’ he said. ‘‘We still don’t know how much was released.’’

Mr. Buesseler took samples of about five gallons, filtered out the naturally occurring materials and the materials from nuclear weapon explosions, and measured what was left.

The scientists had expected to find ocean radiation levels falling off sharply after a few months, as radioactive substances were dispersed by the currents, because, he said, “The ocean’s solution to pollution is dilution.’’

The good news is that researchers found the entire region 20 to 400 miles offshore had radiation levels too low to be an immediate threat to humans.

But there was also an unpleasant surprise. “Rather than leveling off toward zero, it remained elevated in late July,’’ he said, up to about 10,000 becquerel per cubic meter. ‘‘That suggests the release problem has not been solved yet.â€

The working hypothesis is that contaminated sediments and groundwater near the coast are continuing to contaminate the seas, he said.

The international team also collected plankton samples and small fish for study. Mr. Buesseler said there were grounds for concern about bioaccumulation of radioactive isotopes in the food chain, particularly in seaweed and some shellfish close to the plants. A fuller understanding of the effect on fish that are commercially harvested will probably take several years of data following several feeding cycles, he said.

‘‘We also don’t know concentrations in sediments, so benthic biota may be getting higher doses and if consumed (shellfish), could be of concern,’’ he wrote later in an e-mail, referring to organisms that dwell on the sea floor.

The study also found that the highest cesium values were not necessarily from the samples collected closest to Fukushima, he said, because eddies in the ocean currents keep the material from being diluted in some spots farther offshore.

The overall results were consistent with those previously found by Japanese scientists, Mr. Buesseler said.

He said more research was urgently needed to answer several questions, including why the level of contamination offshore near the plant was so high.

“Japan is leading the studies, but more work is needed than any one country, or any one lab, can possibly carry out,†he said.

http://green.blogs.nytimes....me-surprises-at-sea/

dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2011 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

dennis_6

7196 posts
Member since Aug 2001
Lets see you downplay the previous article, phonedawgz.
JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-29-2011 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
(original post sentence order rearranged for easier answering, content not changed)

btw Jazzman, the link behind both maps go to the same (brown) large map.

Sorry about that, got it fixed now

So based on those two maps, what color(s) are considered unsafe? Please specify what map when answering.

That I can't answer. I conjecture that they're mainly concerned with "unsafe" levels as those affect the local folks the most. Based on what's been reported previously, I'd say most any area they bothered mapping would be something to be concerned about.

Anyone have a translation of the legend? All I know in Japanese is how to say yes and hello. I have no idea what anything looks like in writing.

I can count to ten in Japanese, and say thank you, that's about it. You might send an email to the author of the blog the maps were posted at; one of the posters referred to one of the maps as "microseivert", I think referring to the 1 meter air radiation map.
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2011 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post
Top map states micro sv/h, bottom bq/m squared. None of that needs translated, The legend also has the amount range color coded. Bottom map also states Cs-134 and Cs-137 in english. I will also say this map is missing data.
Why? The man made boundaries are where the radiation magically stops, which means they did not survey those prefectures. Do I think they are hiding high radiation? No. I simply think they haven't surveyed it, surely the fallout didn't decide to stop at some imaginary line.

phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2011 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:

That I can't answer. I conjecture that they're mainly concerned with "unsafe" levels as those affect the local folks the most. Based on what's been reported previously, I'd say most any area they bothered mapping would be something to be concerned about..

Top map states micro sv/h, bottom bq/m squared. None of that needs translated, The legend also has the amount range color coded. Bottom map also states Cs-134 and Cs-137 in english. I will also say this map is missing data.
Why? The man made boundaries are where the radiation magically stops, which means they did not survey those prefectures. Do I think they are hiding high radiation? No. I simply think they haven't surveyed it, surely the fallout didn't decide to stop at some imaginary line.

Oh come on guys, you can't be serious!

The lowest level on the legend on both maps is a < some value! That means areas with zero increased radiation level are shown as dark blue or tan areas of the map. Clearly I can see why you guys are wacko about this kind of stuff. You need to think about things before you blindly assume the worst.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 09-29-2011).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 64 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock