Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Japan's nuke problems--what's happening?--conflicting reports. (Page 14)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 64 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64 
Previous Page | Next Page
Japan's nuke problems--what's happening?--conflicting reports. by maryjane
Started on: 03-12-2011 09:14 AM
Replies: 2526
Last post by: 8Ball on 10-25-2013 05:04 PM
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post05-05-2011 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
At the risk of having to read all thirteen pages of this, I figured I'll just ask outright...

Do you support Nuclear energy? I think you said a few pages down you supported something similar but that it just never took on?

I used to, very much so. I grew up on SF and authors of the day almost always mentioned nuclear fission and fusion as the key source of power underlying the utopian societies (and even dystopian, for the most part) portrayed in their stories. Golden age of energy would be about the best way to sum the look and feel of it. I was still a kid when TMI happened. I remember it being in the news, but didn't think much of it because it was so far away and I wasn't being forced to evacuate. Then Chernobyl happened. I was an adult by then and starting to really think about the picture that was bigger than just me, becoming aware of how things interrelate on more than just the simple levels that I'd experienced as a child. Chernobyl really did the heavy lifting in my paradigm shift. Nuclear power seemed so enticing, lots of power in a small footprint, no pollution (I was thinking of pollution in terms of smokestacks and stinky air back then), but the hidden (and not so hidden) costs and issues started to become apparent to me.

Then they built Comanche Peak not too far from here. It took a decade. Because of running changes driven by newfound safety problems that occurred while it was being built, it wound up costing $13,000,000,000.00 to build rather than the original projected price of 1,000,000,000.00. A thirteen hudred percent cost over-run. The first thing that happened when the plant went on line was that our electricity rates went up over 10%, with more increases to follow. Back then we had a strong public utilities commission that regulated rates of regulated monopolies. The utility had to request a rate increase and, more importantly, open their books to prove why the increase was justified. As a regulated monopoly they were allowed a fair profit but no more. It wasn't uncommon for a requested increase to result in a rate decrease when it turned out the figures the company provided didn't add up after all.

Along about that time a burger chain, Burger Street, switched from paper food packaging to polystyrene. It made the news, and since I had sympathies toward environmental causes stemming from my Boy Scout days and because many activist environmentalists were decrying this change for various reasons including biodegradability and fossil fuel feedstock sources I wrote an angry letter to the president of Burger Street complaining about the change. He wrote me back a partly hand-written letter with many supporting documents explaining why they made the change, and boy was that an eye opener. I was at a park not too far from the Post Office when I opened the letter. I wanted to read it right away. I remember that day well, the weather was cool and pleasant, a calm spring morning. What the letter described was that the reason they changed was to reduce their end to end environmental impact. The attachments showed their figures on pollution produced during the entire life cycle of the packaging, from energy used to cut down trees or produce the natural gas, from making paper, making styrofoam, shipping, etc, It talked about what happens in landfills, how virtually all landfills are designed to prevent biodegradation because of various effluent reasons, etc. It was probably 25 pages of information altogether, and it radically altered how I view things, from just the part right in front of me to all parts of it, end to end. I changed my views that morning, and learned a very important lesson. If I was going to be concerned with the environment, I have to look at the full lifecycle of whatever it is I'm going to form an opinion on, and I'd have to think long-term, beyond my lifetime (that part came from reading SF which often is centered around timelines longer than an individual lifetime).

After Chernobyl I really had doubts about the ability of engineers to design a completely safe and fool-proof system, and began to understand that unlike any other technology that exists in this world, nuclear had the potential to mess things up on really, really monstrous scales both physically and chronologically. It was a few years later when it become known to me that Chernobyl wasn't even the first giant-scale nuclear disaster the Soviets had had. Kyshtym, also referred to as Mayak, had happened in the 1950's and though our government knew about it almost from day one, had kept it classified. It wasn't until '76 when it became widely known, and the Soviets declassified it in 1990.

During the Comanche Peak permitting and construction process the subject of waste came up. When I was a kid all the cartoons about nuclear power showed a little atom or bit of material producing massing amount of energy. I had no mental scale of size, volume, or mass of much of anything outside my treehouse and bicycle. As an adult I still didn't realize not only the dangerousness of spent fuel, but the sheer amount of it. I also didn't realize the technical difficulties of handling and storing it long-term, didn't know about corrosiveness and radiation embrittlement, all those issues that make handling it so difficult, and expensive. Since then I've learned a lot.

It was the waste issue that was the last big nail in the coffin for me, that turned me away from nuclear as a viable long or even short term option. Comanche Peak's rates did not, and currently do not, factor in costs for long-term storage and handling of the high-level waste produced there. They also do not factor in the estimated (as of 1990 or so) $30,000,000,000 in 1985 dollars it will take to decommission that plant when the reactor structures are too embrittled to be safe to operate anymore, sometime in the next few decades.

Two other nails:

1. Nuclear waste is so common, and so effective in a "dirty bomb", that I don't see any way to prevent it's eventual acquisition and use by terrorists.
2. We are not economically self-sufficient in uranium supplies and have to import half what we use today, and even more as we build more reactors.

To sum it up, to me nuclear as we do it now is far too expensive when you factor in the full end to end dollar costs of waste storage and decommissioning, and becomes even more so when you factor in the costs of incidents such as Fukushima, TMI, Chernobyl, etc. There is even a law that exempts the American nuclear industry from most liability stemming from accidents, further exacerbating the issue. Then there's the terrorist with waste problem, and the potential giant-scale physical and chronological problems from accidents like Fukushima, and engineering mistakes like Chernobyl.

Recently I experienced a change WRT my views on nuclear. I now am for nuclear using Thorium. According to the information I've read, we are easily self-sufficient in that element, it is nearly as power-dense as pure Uranium, it cannot be used to make any kind of fissile weapon, it's a fraction of the cost for fuel than Uranium is, and it's inherently safe. In other words, if Fukushima had been a Thorium-based nuclear power plant we wouldn't be having this discussion because there'd be nothing to talk about. The worst-case scenario with Thorium is, well, nothing really important.

You wanted my views, there they are. It took me a lifetime to arrive at this point, with some sharp turns and revelations along the way. I didn't arrive at this point willy-nilly, blindly, or in ignorance. It took a lot of hard thought and research.

I support whatever is the most cost effective and environmentally friendly form of energy based on location. So for example, places that have geo-thermal energy that's readily available... then steam power is what we should be using (I think there's only a couple of places, one in Las Vegas???).

Wind power helps, I know... but doesn't do all that much in the grand scheme of things. Solar of course... I'd like to see more homes come with a series of panels when built new... I would even potentially support a bill that mandated new homes have a certain level of solar panels on them. At the very least, it would reduce the amount of power used.

I support whatever form of energy production that frees us from dependence on tin-pot dictatorships and countries that want to pull our strings and make us do their dirty work. I'm for energy that's relatively pollution free (I say relatively, because all man's industrial activities produce pollution) and whose pollution is relatively benign. I fully believe that there is no single-point solution, no silver bullet, no magic wand. We had a huge energy trust fund in the form of fossil fuels, which like any adolescent culturally speaking we've squandered quite thoroughly without giving much thought to the future.

And, since energy consumption and production is a mathematical formula, very simple: P=C, anything you do to reduce the C side is exactly the same as increasing the P side. So, mandating that homes be more energy efficient (green standards, LEEDS, etc) or mandating more efficient appliances, etc, etc, is the same as building new power. Same result as mandating solar cells.

[This message has been edited by JazzMan (edited 05-05-2011).]

IP: Logged
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2011 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:

I support whatever form of energy production that frees us from dependence on tin-pot dictatorships and countries that want to pull our strings and make us do their dirty work. I'm for energy that's relatively pollution free (I say relatively, because all man's industrial activities produce pollution) and whose pollution is relatively benign. I fully believe that there is no single-point solution, no silver bullet, no magic wand. We had a huge energy trust fund in the form of fossil fuels, which like any adolescent culturally speaking we've squandered quite thoroughly without giving much thought to the future.

And, since energy consumption and production is a mathematical formula, very simple: P=C, anything you do to reduce the C side is exactly the same as increasing the P side. So, mandating that homes be more energy efficient (green standards, LEEDS, etc) or mandating more efficient appliances, etc, etc, is the same as building new power. Same result as mandating solar cells.

Yeah, I understand what you're saying about the life-cycle... so as in, having people use solar cells on new construction could have a bad side in the effect that the materials and energy needed to produce those panels may not off-set the benefits of having them to begin with.

So if Thorium is so beneficial, and is essentially like uranium with only half of the draw-backs, why then aren't we using it? What is the major purpose that we having switched to that?

I did read everything, I just don't have a whole lot to add to it because you explained a lot of what I would have questioned anyway...
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 115
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2011 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post
We aren't using thorium, due to the fact thorium does not produce weapon grade materials for us to use in nuclear weapons. Thats probably not an issue today, as they recycle, but when the plants were built, it was the reason.
They were playing with thorium reactors in the 50's, but we needed weapons grade material to build nuclear bombs.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2011 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
1 - We have been converting nuclear bomb fuel into reactor fuel. That flies in the face of any idea that curently we are using uranium to produce nuclear bomb fuel

2 - Since CARTER which is when the cold war was still on, we have not reprocessed spent civil reactor fuel. All of it is kept on site at the reactors.

So for 30 years there has been an easier/better way to do things but we just don't because of ????

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 05-05-2011).]

dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2011 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

1 - We have been converting nuclear bomb fuel into reactor fuel. That flies in the face of any idea that curently we are using uranium to produce nuclear bomb fuel

2 - Since CARTER which is when the cold war was still on, we have not reprocessed spent civil reactor fuel. All of it is kept on site at the reactors.

I did say it didn't apply today, I also said when the plants were first built, of course if its not broke you don't fix it, so why would they switch to thorium after the 1st gen reactors were retired. When they decided to use Uranium based reactors, it was an issue to have that material available.
Why isn't Iran interested in Thorium based reactors? Because its useless for nuclear weapons.
Its been a lot longer than 30 years that Thorium based reactors were around, I believe the first test reactors based on Thorium were in operation in 1952.

[This message has been edited by dennis_6 (edited 05-05-2011).]

JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-05-2011 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

So if Thorium is so beneficial, and is essentially like uranium with only half of the draw-backs, why then aren't we using it? What is the major purpose that we having switched to that?

Simple answer, really. Thorium and Uranium were both being investigated in the 40's and 50's. The federal government needed material to make bombs with and it's easy to make that with Uranium reactors and impossible to make with Thorium reactors, so R&D/subsidies were used to grow the Uranium nuclear industry in order to have a ready source of bomb-making material. Currently the Uranium reactor industry is monstrously huge and has a good deal going, and no interest in changing over to Thorium since that would cost money from profits. They also spend many millions in lobbying to keep it that way, as any multi-billion dollar international industry is required to do in order to maintain fiduciary responsibility to their shareholders.

Even though we essentially invented the technology before abandoning it, currently India and China are developing it for their own use. It's quite likely that we may be buying their reactors at some point in the future, much like we bought cars from Japan when the automotive technology shift happened a few decades ago.

Here's a good article on it from Wired Magazine, it was this article that got me rethinking nuclear: http://www.wired.com/magazi...009/12/ff_new_nukes/

[This message has been edited by JazzMan (edited 05-05-2011).]

phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2011 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
So with a heat engine of any type, you need a heat source and a heat sink. The power can be obtained by using these two. The cooling towers of a nuclear power plant are not to cool the reactor. They are to dissipate the 2/3s of the heat energy that can't be converted into mechanical energy.

Considering the thorium reactor is just an alternative heat source, the need for cooling to provide a heat sink to generate power with is still needed.

Overall the article seems to make sense, but it seems to fail on that point.

You also must realize that the issues at Fukushima weren't issues with an operating reactor. All the reactors had shut down at the first waves of the earthquake. The thing they are saying about the thorium reaction is that it is self regulating while operating But in Fukushima the issue wasn't/isn't regulation during operation. It's the decay heat during shutdown. In a shut down thorium reactor the decay heat would most likely still be an issue.

Finally there is no way they would convert an existing nuclear plant. Remember once built they are some of the lowest cost of energy. There is no way they are going to shut that down until they are forced to or it's no longer economically feasible.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 05-05-2011).]

carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2011 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post

They still aren't letting people back into the exclusion zone correct?

Correct, and they haven't proven that those just outside of the zone are safe. Correct?
carnut122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2011 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post

carnut122

9122 posts
Member since Jan 2004

Originally posted by RandomTask:

I'll post this here. I sat through a presentation the other week on this; [wrote this after I attended]

. . . Just sat through a two hour meeting with Howard Sobel (PE), a leading expert in nuclear plant design and crisis management. Meeting was aimed at specifically talking about this incident. Some notes I jotted down -

The workers had their dosage limits raised to 250mSv. Their operational limits are the same as our standards in the U.S. During times of crisis, we raise our "Oh **** " limit to 500mSv. Japan raised theirs to half (250mSv) and no-one has exceeded that yet.

The people that we're exposed to the radioactive water were idiots and not working under guidelines. They were specifically told to wear protective boots in the water they were in.

The NRC mandates the following criteria that a plant must survive;
Loss of Recirculating water. (They had both low pressure and high pressure shower core injectors)
Loss of Feedwater (They had plenty backup)
Loss of Power (They had both EDG's and 8 hour battery backup).

Restoring power wasn't easy. They couldn't just run a line to other districts to get power. Japan has a funny thing we're they run 50hz and 60hz. The generators they eventually shipped in were hooked up but unfortunately the employee's almost foolishly assumed all the electrical equipment would still work. As a note, the plant has 19' sea wall. They were hit by a 46' tsunami - so near 3 stories of salt water wrecked all the electrical equipment.

These were MK-1 BWR reactors. The upside down bulb (wet well) was essentially the primary containment. The reactor vessels have NOT been breached, it hasn't even left the 6" steel. They predict it to be identical to what happened on TMI but just 3X since 3 reactors. Given time to let everything cool down they will go open up the vessels.

Reactors 5 and 6 were having the same issues but due to location, they could get the EDG's (emergency diesel generators) powered up on unit 6 which in turn they used to power unit 5 as well and get them under control.

Pumping in seawater was a last ditch effort but the only option they had. They had to get rid of the low radioactivity water (pumped into the ocean) so they could make room for the highly radioactive stuff that they needed to store.

The problem in the storage pools was mainly unit 4. It was just shut down two weeks prior and the fuel was taken out and put into the storage pool. This stuff had a lot of residual heat in it (compared to fuel that's been sitting longer - it cools in an inverse fashion). Immediately after scram, the units pump out about 7% of their normal power which in thermal is 2450MWth (~170MWth). So they had fuel with a lot of residual heat next to the brand new fuel (lots of potential) right next to it. U.S. plants operate differently. Where as Fukashimi had all 400+ rods out, we cycle just the ones we're replacing to get back to desired thermal density (usually around 20 or so) They are currently at about .02%. Due to having pumped in sea water, on reactor 2, they're afraid they plugged a lot of the cooling area's with salt. They're pumping the **** out of it and have very inefficient cooling but still cooling it down. They also flooded the wet well area to about have the height of the reactor vessel.

There was an 8" crack on one of the Taurus's due to an explosion. I believe he said they got that plugged up.

They chose to vent to atmosphere due to the pressure. The pressure was due to the Zyrconium shells reacting with the water which creates heat(which perpetuates the reaction) + Zirconium oxide and lots of hydrogen gas. They first vent to the wet well (as designed) they then vented to the taurus which it did. The steam was meant to condensate there which it did. Eventually once that reached around 60psi, they had to vent to the dry well. This eventually reach its limits for pressure so it was either "let it blow up or vent some of" which they had to. They vented it into the secondary containment area (above the vessel) once it reach >8%, it exploded causing damage. U.S. reactors had to be updated circa 2001 with whats called 'hard lines'. These allow the venting of the gas through combustors = less of an explosive risk.

They HAVE found neutron emitting contamination OUTSIDE the plant but they think this is more likely due to old weapons testing as otherwise it would indicate that the reactor vessels exploded.

All media has been sensationalizing the crap out of this. 9 times out of 10 of 'experts' you see aren't experts in the field and are picked by the news outlets to say something as to generate ratings. Also, most of the information they give is wrong.

Also Germany is stupid for shutting down their program. They get billions in tax revenue a year from nuclear taxes and get a large portion of their energy from Nuclear. Now they'll have to pay france for energy (who makes almost 80% of their power from nuclear).

Random, I'm not trying to discount your guy, but he seems to know more than the people in Japan??? Although I'm sure he's extremely qualified, unless he's there, he's another arm-chair quarterback. Has he been to the Fukushima since the tsunami?
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2011 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carnut122:

Correct, and they haven't proven that those just outside of the zone are safe. Correct?

idk. What are they measuring at?
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2011 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post

phonedawgz

17091 posts
Member since Dec 2009

Random, I'm not trying to discount your guy, but he seems to know more than the people in Japan??? Although I'm sure he's extremely qualified, unless he's there, he's another arm-chair quarterback. Has he been to the Fukushima since the tsunami?

Yeah I suppose we should go back to getting our information from one of the Fukushima 50 (they didn't even get that one close) mothers.
PFF
System Bot
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2011 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post
Another article and Thorium reactors...
http://www.dailyglobal.com/...he-way-with-thorium/
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2011 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
The two articles are proposing different types of reactors. One is a critical mass moderated/self moderated reactor. The other is a less than critical mass reactor that is excited by an external source.
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2011 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post
Hawaii Connection Helps Fukushima Group Escape Radiation
So-Called Fukushima 15 Make Desperate Call For Help

POSTED: 4:41 pm HST May 5, 2011
UPDATED: 5:00 pm HST May 5, 2011
[EMAIL: Hawaii Connection Helps Fukushima Group Escape Radiation] Email [PRINT: Hawaii Connection Helps Fukushima Group Escape Radiation] Print
[COMMENTS: Hawaii Connection Helps Fukushima Group Escape Radiation] Comments
(0)
Bookmark and Share

Embed this Video
x

o Email
o Facebook
o Digg
o Twitter
o Yahoo Buzz
o Reddit
o Delicious

Link

FUKUSHIMA CITY, Japan -- The Japanese government recently increased what it considers "allowable levels" of radiation exposure for school children - which sparked an outcry by parents.

And fears of radiation are stronger than ever – especially in places such as Fukushima City - less than 40 miles from the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant.

Radiation levels read higher there than in closer cities because of wind patterns.

Luckily for one group, an old connection from Hawaii has become their kind of miracle.

KITV4 Reporter Lara Yamada and Photographer Rex Von Arnswaldt visited them in Japan at a Fukushima neighborhood Kindergarten.

“Hi! Good morning, good to see you,” said Nobuko Kobuko outside the school. She is a teacher at the Kohitsuji Kindergarten.

More than a month after the earthquake and tsunami in Japan, she's quick to mention something else: radiation. Listen to how she describes it:

“We could feel, something was fuzzy with the faces and the skin and everybody knew something was strange, even inside the building,” she said.

A week after the explosions at the Fukushima Daiichi Power Plant, she was so worried, she gathered 15 people, children and adults, and decided to leave.

“People in this Pearl City Baptist call them ‘Fukushima 15,’” said Former Reverend Tatsuya Ban. Yamada met him at Ala Moana Park shortly before she left for Japan.

Nobuko knew of Ban through a friend and she decided to call him in desperation.

“I felt like this was part of our family and especially those evacuees from Fukushima area,” said Ban.

By late March, the Fukushima 15 made it to Honolulu. They were quickly welcomed into Hawaii homes.

“We had such a wonderful experience,” said Nobuko. “They were all were so kind and warm, everywhere, everywhere. They're like a friend.”

It was their first trip to Hawaii, and despite the children's excitement, the reality of what they've been through, soon hit home.

“We cannot go to the beach because of a strong wave coming and we're going to have trouble!” she said explaining the children’s first reaction when they went to the beach.

“But it looks like they got over it,” said Yamada, the two of them looking at pictures of the kids and adults playing in the water along the shore.

“We are very honored to take them in and spend 11 days with them,” said Ban.

“It was like family so much like a family and we all changed,” said Nobuko. “We really like Hawaii now we want to go back,” she laughed.

“People were crying when they were leaving,” said Ban.

11 days after they landed in Hawaii, the so-called Fukushima 15 are back in Japan, but not because they wanted to return.

The group was traveling with young children without their parents.

When school started, as scheduled, the group had no choice but to return.

“Are you worried about the children?” Yamada asked Nobuko in her Fukushima City kindergarten class.

“Yes. A lot of them already want to go out so bad,” said Nobuko.

The children are masked, covered up and cooped up.

The playground outside, sprinkled with cherry blossoms, stands untouched.

Nobuko said she has no idea when they'll feel it's safe to play outside.

Inside, 3 year old Tsukasa, and 5 year old Ryoma remember well their Hawaii getaway.

“Beachie!” said Ryoma, when Nobuko asked him what he liked the most.

As for Tsukasa: “He wants to go to Hawaii again to pick up some shells and crumbs I mean crabs!” laughed Nobuko. “He said he liked it all, everything!”

They are memories no tragedy can erase, from island friends, who knew, the help they needed comes from the heart.

“They thought about their friends in Hawaii!” smiled Ban, “because what they needed more than anything else was hope and encouragement.”

Read more: http://www.kitv.com/news/27...l.html#ixzz1LXjDCQSQ
http://www.kitv.com/r/27795841/detail.html
JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-06-2011 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

Remember once built they (uranium nuclear power plants) are some of the lowest cost of energy.

I agree, once the plant is actually running the fuel costs per unit of usable energy delivered is one of the lowest around. However, there are far more costs associated with nuclear than just the fuel, just as the operating cost of owning a car is far more than just the cost of the gasoline put into the tank.

For instance, the cost of constructing and forever maintaining a permanent storage facility for spent fuel and associated waste materials is not factored into the cost of producing electricity from this source. How can it be, it's not even designed or built yet. AFAIK, ratepayers also aren't paying for anticipated decommissioning costs, nor are they paying for the amount of insurance needed to cover a Fukushima-level cleanup. In fact, the only insurance they're require to pay for by law would cover only about 12.2 billion, the rest is borne by others not related to the industry (namely, us taxpayers). Other hidden costs include loan guarantees, various tax abatements won by lobbying, capital cost writeoffs from bankruptcies, etc.

Here's a bit from the wiki on nuclear power that sums up my thoughts fairly well:

Analysis of the economics of nuclear power must take into account who bears the risks of future uncertainties. To date all operating nuclear power plants were developed by state-owned or regulated utility monopolies[105] where many of the risks associated with construction costs, operating performance, fuel price, accident liability and other factors were borne by consumers rather than suppliers. In addition, because the potential liability from a nuclear accident is so great, the full cost of liability insurance is generally limited/capped by the government, which the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission concluded constituted a significant subsidy.[106] Many countries have now liberalized the electricity market where these risks, and the risk of cheaper competitors emerging before capital costs are recovered, are borne by plant suppliers and operators rather than consumers, which leads to a significantly different evaluation of the economics of new nuclear power plants.[107]

From an interview of Doug Koplow here: http://www.globalsubsidies....money-fuels-industry

DK: All operating nuclear power plants in the U.S. were built with substantial public subsidies. These included large subsidies to research and development, plant construction, uranium enrichment, and waste management. Since its inception, the industry has also benefitted from government programs to shift key risks of the nuclear fuel cycle away from investors and onto taxpayers.

A handful of studies have quantified subsidies to the nuclear-power industry over the decades, indicating aggregate subsidization at well over US$ 150 billion, and a subsidy intensity (government support per kWh output) normally exceeding 30% of the market value of the energy produced.

These subsidies have enabled our existing commercial reactors to remain viable power providers, but only with additional capital write-offs. These write-offs have occurred not only through bankruptcies, but in the form of compensation for "stranded costs" as well. Basically, a cost was considered stranded if it made a plant uncompetitive at the time the electricity industry was being deregulated. Nuclear generation accounted for large share of total stranded costs in the United States, with nearly US$ 100 billion (2007$) of nuclear-related infrastructure deemed uncompetitive transferred as a liability to be bailed out by ratepayers. Although the industry frequently points to its low operating costs as evidence of its market competitiveness, this economic structure is an artifact of large subsidies to capital, historical write-offs of capital, and ongoing subsidies to operating costs.

Subsidies to the nuclear power industry have gone through cycles. During the early 1980s the industry benefitted from very high subsidies to capital formation. Today the United States is going through another surge in subsidies to nuclear plants, with a slew of new policies to guarantee plant construction capital, insure against cost overruns, reduce the latitude of public oversight on new plant construction, and to provide output-related tax credits for nuclear energy. The industry may also benefit from large windfall profits on carbon credits under some of the proposed credit allocation rules. Risk transfer on liability insurance and waste management continue.

Yes, the relative cheapness of the fuel is a definite advantage to the plants because it's extremely profitable, and because of that low cost it's even more profitable when the nuclear generators raise their rates to match the much higher costs of natural gas, which is what they do here in Texas. Thankfully I won't e alive when the Comanche Peak decommissioning and waste disposal bill comes home to roost.

[This message has been edited by JazzMan (edited 05-06-2011).]

phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2011 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post

Doug Koplow, subsidies researcher and founder of Earth Track, answers questions:

With what environmental organization are you affiliated?

I'm the founder of Earth Track in Cambridge, Mass., which focuses on increasing visibility of environmentally harmful subsidies. This visibility comes through direct analysis, consolidation of research from around the world, and descriptive materials understandable by general audiences.

Subsidies transfer value from the public sector to private interests, sometimes in cash, but more often via complex and hard-to-track methods. A good general observation is the quicker your eyes glaze over reading eligibility requirements, the bigger the subsidy is likely to be. At an estimated trillion dollars per year globally, these subsidies degrade and destroy our natural environment. They contribute to many of the most challenging environmental problems we face today, including climate change, fisheries loss, deforestation, water depletion, and declines in biodiversity.

http://www.grist.org/article/koplow

----

Sounds like this guy doesn't have a job unless he can come up with a story of subsidies are going to kill us all.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 05-06-2011).]

phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2011 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post

phonedawgz

17091 posts
Member since Dec 2009
Decommissioning

Summary of Decommissioning Fund Status Reports

All power reactor licensees submitted the reports for their units by March 31, 1999. The NRC received reports for 122 reactor units, consisting of 104 operating units and 18 that have been permanently shut down. The staff has reviewed these reports and has developed the following summary information:

As of December 31, 1998, power reactor licensees have on deposit approximately $22.5 billion in external decommissioning trust fund accounts. The total minimum amount needed to decommission the radiological portion of power plants, based on the generic formulas in 10 CFR 50.75(c), is approximately $31.9 billion. The aggregate estimate by licensees, based in some cases on site-specific estimates that exceed the minimum formula amounts, is approximately $38.7 billion. Licensee estimates often include costs of spent fuel management, demolition of non-radiological structures, and site restoration, all of which the NRC specifically excludes in its definition of decommissioning in 10 CFR 50.2.

In the aggregate, licensees have collected about 70 percent of the funds currently estimated to be needed for decommissioning using the NRC's generic formulas and about 58 percent using the licensees' own estimates, when available. Individual licensees have, of course, collected higher or lower percentages than these aggregate percentages.

On the basis of the minimum amounts contained in the generic formulas, 15 operating units have fully funded decommissioning accounts. That is, if these units were permanently shut down today, they would have sufficient funds, based on the NRC formulas, to complete radiological decommissioning. Another 46 units have from 50 percent to almost 100 percent of decommissioning funds collected. Finally, licensees of 43 units have collected less than half of the current estimate of what they will eventually need for decommissioning, although, as discussed below, this does not necessarily indicate non-compliance.(1)

The staff also evaluated collections on a straight-line basis. That is, the staff compared the funds collected, expressed as a percentage of the total estimated minimum amounts using the generic formulas, to expended reactor life, expressed as a percentage of a 40-year license term. When measured this way, 64 units exceed a straight-line collection rate and 40 units are collecting at less than a straight-line rate. (The staff notes that NRC's regulations do not require a straight-line collection schedule. The NRC has explicitly deferred to a licensee's rate regulator, or the licensee itself if self-regulated, to determine the decommissioning funds collection rate. Consequently, all licensees appear to be in compliance with the provisions of 10 CFR 50.75.)

The reports included aggregate projections of future trust fund deposits of an additional $9.4 billion. In addition, licensees project that future interest earned on funds already collected and on future collections will be approximately $12.1 billion. The total of current deposits and future estimated deposits and earnings is approximately $44 billion. This amount exceeds both NRC and licensee estimates (as described in item 1, above) of current decommissioning costs, but in some cases reflects future decommissioning cost escalation. The staff notes that the NRC's regulations do not require licensees to estimate future cost escalation, but do require licensees to recalculate annually their decommissioning cost estimates to account for escalation that has occurred in the previous year.

On the basis of the staff's review of the status reports and the foregoing findings, all power reactor licensees appear to be on track to fund decommissioning by the time that they permanently shut down their units. Pursuant to 10 CFR 50.82(c), a few licensees that have already permanently shut down their units prematurely are collecting funding shortfalls into the decommissioning period. In addition, although they appear to be on track, a few licensees have ambiguities in the information reported or otherwise rely on future funding methods that the NRC does not allow. For example, one licensee is relying on future tax deductions for some of its remaining decommissioning funds. It is not clear from this licensee's report whether such future tax deductions are meant to apply to non-radiological decommissioning costs, in which case they would be allowed, or whether future tax deductions would apply to radiological decommissioning costs, in which case they would not be allowed. In another case, a minority owner municipal licensee that sets its own rates has a small percentage of its decommissioning funds in an internal reserve. The NRC's regulations prohibit internal reserves. However, this licensee appears to be on track with its external funds and may intend to convert the internal funds to external as part of its future collections. The staff has been working with the project managers of these and the other plants where questions exist to obtain additional information from the licensees and, where appropriate, require corrective action.

http://www.nrc.gov/reading-...170/1999-170scy.html
JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-06-2011 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

http://www.grist.org/article/koplow

----

Sounds like this guy doesn't have a job unless he can come up with a story of subsidies are going to kill us all.

That's the problem with trying to find authoritative cites, the pro-nuclear lobby won't address the points and when the anti-nuclear folks do they get decried as lunatic fringe. The points themselves are real, though. got any hard info addressing all of the points raised by me and by the Koplow interview?

WRT decommissioning costs, only 15 of the 122 units the 1998 report describes are fully funded, and 43 had less than half of the funds needed? At least in 1998 they all seem to be on track to be fully funded by shutdown, aside from some reporting ambiguities and premature shutdowns. Got any info that's more current than 13 years old? Also, though they say fully funded, I'm having a hard time figuring out how they can even know this since there's no place for them to dump and store the high-level waste yet. I suspect the decommissioning costs exclude actual waste disposal of the high-level waste bits. And, part of the disposal costs will be permanent extreme-security protection of millions, perhaps billions, of pounds of this very hazardous waste. This can't be cheap, and it will get more expensive as time goes by, so it's an open-ended high-dollar expense that can only be guessed at.
carnut122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2011 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post

idk. What are they measuring at?

That's my point. It's impossible to know what's the "tipping point" of what is "safe."

[This message has been edited by carnut122 (edited 05-06-2011).]

carnut122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2011 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post

carnut122

9122 posts
Member since Jan 2004

Yeah I suppose we should go back to getting our information from one of the Fukushima 50 (they didn't even get that one close) mothers.

So, can we agree that the "truth" is somewhere in the middle?
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2011 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post

That's my point. It's impossible to know what's the "tipping point" of what is "safe."

I do believe that you believe that. However the scientific world has a pretty good general consensus of what can be considered safe. Radiation has been studied for over 100 years.

So, can we agree that the "truth" is somewhere in the middle?

No, the truth isn't necessarily somewhere in the middle. The truth is the truth. This sounds like the I'll start at $1.00, you start at a million and we settle at 500 thousand.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 05-06-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2011 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post
The truth is usually in the middle, especially when you have to polarized extremes both distorting the truth for their causes.
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2011 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

dennis_6

7196 posts
Member since Aug 2001
EPA ratchets down radiation samples in milk, water

(AP) – 6 hours ago

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — The Environmental Protection Agency has ratcheted down the nation's radiation monitoring program for rain, drinking water and milk in response to a consistent drop in the levels of fallout detected in the wake of the Japanese nuclear crisis.

Extremely low amounts of radioactive iodine tied to the crippled Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant showed up in milk samples taken in California, Colorado, Connecticut and Massachusetts over the last two weeks, but agency officials said Friday the levels were so miniscule they were not harmful to public health.

Numerous radioactive particles have been detected in milk, water and air tests nationwide since the magnitude-9.0 earthquake and tsunami struck the power plant on March 11.

After seeing the levels drop in recent weeks, EPA has resumed sampling water and milk once every three months, a move some critics felt was premature given that the world's second-worst nuclear accident is still unfolding.

"Throughout this and other radiation accidents it has always turned out that more radiation was involved than we initially thought," said Ira Helfand, a co-founder of Physicians for Social Responsibility and a physician who practices internal medicine in Springfield, Mass. "The U.S. should continue to monitor milk and rainwater until we can be sure that the plant is under control and there are no further emissions."

The nuclear plant lost its power and cooling systems in the earthquake and tsunami, triggering fires, explosions and radiation leaks. Radiation leaking from the Fukushima plant has forced 80,000 people living within a 12-mile radius to leave their homes, and many still are living in gymnasiums and community centers.

Federal officials use the EPA's RadNet monitoring system to validate the impact of nuclear incidents, then alert local governments and the public. Launched after the Cold War and upgraded following the Sept. 11 attacks, it also measures radiation levels through dozens of air monitors that periodically suck in air samples and pump out real-time readings about radioactive isotopes.

Some of the nation's air monitors were out of service as the public braced for possible exposure to the fallout from Japan in mid-March. EPA said at the time that the malfunctioning monitors weren't a problem because the system had more than enough units to safeguard the country against a threat that did not materialize.

This week, EPA officials also announced they were weighing whether to keep operating additional air monitors that were sent out in March to increase the network's geographic coverage. There are currently two each in Alaska and Hawaii, and one in Guam, Saipan and Idaho.

"No decisions have been made. Those monitors are still deployed and continue to transmit data to EPA scientists," said agency spokesman Brendan Gilfillan. "We would likely see signs of elevated radiation levels in the air before seeing it in precipitation, drinking water or milk."

People typically are exposed to natural sources of radiation every day — most of it from radon in the air and, to a lesser extent, from cosmic rays. Foods we eat also contain low levels of naturally occurring radioactivity, including bananas, carrots and red meat.

The type of radioactive iodine found in the milk samples is short-lived and decays fairly quickly, becoming harmless. Cows could have ingested the particles through the air, or from eating tainted feed or drinking puddles of rainwater containing it, but that does not pose any threat to the milk supply, said Mike Payne, a veterinarian and food safety specialist at the University of California, Davis.

"Those levels are really inconsequential to human health, and I think probably (the EPA's) resources in terms of radiation monitoring are best spent elsewhere right now," Payne said.

Copyright © 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
http://www.google.com/hoste...473587b8fff0781ae840
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2011 07:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dennis_6:

The truth is usually in the middle, especially when you have to polarized extremes both distorting the truth for their causes.

This type of weak thinking, if one or both of the parties involved knows or thinks you are using it, will tend to move one or both of the polar opposites to an even more extreme position. The wacko woman who I posted surely seems to be operating under this kind of belief. So in her mind she can rationalize exaggerating her 'facts' to try to get more people to believe what she believes.

I'd rather just know the true facts.
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2011 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

This type of weak thinking, if one or both of the parties involved knows or thinks you are using it, will tend to move one or both of the polar opposites to an even more extreme position. The wacko woman who I posted surely seems to be operating under this kind of belief. So in her mind she can rationalize exaggerating her 'facts' to try to get more people to believe what she believes.

I'd rather just know the true facts.

Weak thinking is buying into either party line... They are both lying, you have the pro-nuclear industry telling you this isn't even a concern for the people in Fukushima, and you have the anti-nuclear crowd screaming, its the end of the world. Lies, both directions. Where is the truth? Somewhere in between those two extremes. By staying informed, one can obtain an educated guess at where between those extremes the truth really is.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2011 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
The way I see it, this isn't an issue of buying into a party line. This is an issue of searching out the truth, wherever it may be.
JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-09-2011 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Yes, but your truth isn't my truth, so who gets to decide what truth to use?

For instance, it's the truth that there are millions of pounds of high-level waste that will need to be somehow transported and stored for longer than human civilization has existed, secure from very determined people with bad intent as well as secure from all known and all possible anticipated malfunctions both geologically and mechanically.

My truth is that it's not possible to be perfect, what is your truth?

There are significant downsides to nuclear power, and what frustrates me is that proponents simply wave those downsides away and pretty much ignore the real problems with the technology. Sure, it has great advantages, but it has extreme disadvantages as well. I, for once, would just like to hear the proponents acknowledge that fact in real and meaningful terms.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2011 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
It's not possible to be perfect.

Not with cars burning gas, not with hydroelectric, not with natural gas, not with coal, not with non-Russian* nuclear. I can state which of those energy sources has produced the least amount of deaths. I do realize that fact doesn't matter to your thinking.

It does matter to my thinking however.

I agree, YOU will never be able to accept nuclear. That is because you expect it to be perfect and of course that can't happen. I however don't expect anything to be perfect. I am however looking for the best possible realistic source of power, both short term and long term.

* or any non-containment nuclear

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 05-09-2011).]

JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-09-2011 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

It's not possible to be perfect.

Not with cars burning gas, not with hydroelectric, not with natural gas, not with coal, not with non-Russian* nuclear. I can state which of those energy sources has produced the least amount of deaths. I do realize that fact doesn't matter to your thinking.

It does matter to my thinking however.

I agree, YOU will never be able to accept nuclear. That is because you expect it to be perfect and of course that can't happen. I however don't expect anything to be perfect. I am however looking for the best possible realistic source of power, both short term and long term.

* or any non-containment nuclear

So actually directly-attributable death rates are the most important factor to you?

Do appreciate the derogatory and sarcastic tone, wonder why I don't give what you say much credence?
carnut122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2011 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post

No, the truth isn't necessarily somewhere in the middle. The truth is the truth. This sounds like the I'll start at $1.00, you start at a million and we settle at 500 thousand.

So, the "truth" is absolute?

As for the quote, " However the scientific world has a pretty good general consensus of what can be considered safe. Radiation has been studied for over 100 years." Didn't Madam Currie die from the radiation she studied-not to mention hundreds of unwitting witnesses to the, "Hey soldier, how would you like to see a nuclear explosion?" So, yes, nuclear radiation has been studied, and people died in those studies. As for Fukushima, I'm sure GE did all kinds of studies (or maybe not as it wouldn't help their bottom line) as to the results of 4 cores having no functional cooling systems. All I keep hearing is how safe it is for others to live nearby, but I won't be a believer until TEPCO's administrators and investors are willing to put themselves and their families into the "safe zone" for an extended period of time. So, if the cores in the Clinton, IL plant were melting and possibly breaching their containment, that wouldn't bother you in the least?
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2011 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
James,
Thanks for taking the time to explain your viewpoint.

While I still support the use of nuclear energy (and plan to research the Thorium idea a bit more) I can appreciate your views.
My reason for my continuing support is that I believe we learn from our mistakes. I don't believe that Fukushima will happen again. Certainly not Chernobyl.
New reactor designs eliminate the failure points of the Fukushima design. (The newer Westinghouse design has been the preferred design, AFAIK, since the 70s - 80s, at least in my neck of the woods.)

One final comment:

You said...

...and engineering mistakes like Chernobyl.

From what I've been able to gather, Chernobyl was not an "engineering mistake". There was a long line of screwups that led to that disaster.
It was a willful disregard of basic safety devices, done in order to cut corners. There was no containment. Period. The reactor design was inherently unstable, on top of that.
It was not designed for any sort of perceived "worst case". It was designed with the idea that nothing unusual was going to happen. Ever.
The technicians/operators who initiated the test that caused the explosion were not trained for the task at hand.
(There was a link posted earlier that explored this whole scenario in great detail. I think it was in this thread.)
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2011 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Chernobyl was typical Russian junk engineering.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2011 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post

phonedawgz

17091 posts
Member since Dec 2009

So actually directly-attributable death rates are the most important factor to you?

Not the most important, but it is a clearly measurable metric. You seem to do well at ignoring it. It doesn't seem to matter to you.

phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2011 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post

phonedawgz

17091 posts
Member since Dec 2009

So, the "truth" is absolute?

As for the quote, " However the scientific world has a pretty good general consensus of what can be considered safe. Radiation has been studied for over 100 years." Didn't Madam Currie die from the radiation she studied-not to mention hundreds of unwitting witnesses to the, "Hey soldier, how would you like to see a nuclear explosion?" So, yes, nuclear radiation has been studied, and people died in those studies. As for Fukushima, I'm sure GE did all kinds of studies (or maybe not as it wouldn't help their bottom line) as to the results of 4 cores having no functional cooling systems. All I keep hearing is how safe it is for others to live nearby, but I won't be a believer until TEPCO's administrators and investors are willing to put themselves and their families into the "safe zone" for an extended period of time. So, if the cores in the Clinton, IL plant were melting and possibly breaching their containment, that wouldn't bother you in the least?

Is the truth absolute? - Deep down, bottom line I'm not totally sure. But that is on a much different level than this discussion. I do believe for practical purposes the truth is quite absolute at Fukushima.

So, yes, nuclear radiation has been studied, and people died in those studies.

Yes. People have been exposed to radiation levels high enough to have killed them. We do know what acute radiation poising is.

but I won't be a believer until TEPCO's administrators and investors are willing to put themselves and their families into the "safe zone" for an extended period of time.

I would think radiation meters would be much more accurate.

But even deeper looking at this who do you think the 821,841 investor/shareholders of TEPCO are? Basically people like you and me who have retirement money invested in the company. I hardly think they are deserving of being used as human guinea pigs. Even if I considered them as my enemy this guy 2000 years ago told me that I am not to hate them. From what I see of your posts I can not believe you would seriously consider using them as such or hating them. I

So, if the cores in the Clinton, IL plant were melting and possibly breaching their containment, that wouldn't bother you in the least?

I'm not sure where that came from. First there are two nuclear plants much closer to Green Bay than Clinton, Il. Kewaunee Nuclear, and Point Beach are about 30 miles from my house. Do I take the situation at Fukushima seriously? Yes. Should we expose anyone to dangerous radiation levels? No. Should we be callous about it? No. If we measure the radiation levels and find them to be well within the acknowledged safe limits should people be advised that the area is safe? Yes. Would I put my life in the hands of generally accepted science to determine safe standards? I do that every day.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 05-10-2011).]

phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2011 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post

phonedawgz

17091 posts
Member since Dec 2009
Some very interesting reading

Military Nuclear accidents

http://en.wikipedia.org/wik...ry_nuclear_accidents

I don't see solders radiated at test sites listed. I had heard the story of solders 'storming' the test sites after the explosion also. I didn't find anything credible about it in my just now limited search.

Civilian Nuclear Accidents
http://en.wikipedia.org/wik...an_nuclear_accidents

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goi%C3%A2nia_accident
JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-10-2011 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

James,
Thanks for taking the time to explain your viewpoint.

I appreciate the fact that you read it rather than just dismissed it out of hand.

Originally posted by Raydar:
From what I've been able to gather, Chernobyl was not an "engineering mistake". There was a long line of screwups that led to that disaster.
It was a willful disregard of basic safety devices, done in order to cut corners. There was no containment. Period. The reactor design was inherently unstable, on top of that.
It was not designed for any sort of perceived "worst case". It was designed with the idea that nothing unusual was going to happen. Ever.
The technicians/operators who initiated the test that caused the explosion were not trained for the task at hand.

Everything you mentioned was an engineering mistake. No containment, no safety systems to prevent the operators from doing what they did, no systems in place to deal with any unanticipated worst case scenarios (itself root to my objections simply because I finally realized that it is literally impossible for even the smartest humans to anticipate all possible worst-case scenarios), a reactor core design that was not inherently safe (and even today there are no reactor designs that are inherently safe except maybe pebble bed, but those only get about 10% efficiency, terrible uranium mileage as it were), etc. Fukushima was due to engineering mistakes as well, because the placement of the diesel backup generators was most definitely an engineering function. Any other technology we can afford OJT because no matter how bad the screwups by the engineers the worst case scenarios only result in short-term local damage that is cheap and easy to deal with (relatively speaking), especially compared to nuclear.

About the only other technology of any kind that comes to mind that has nuclear's capability of wide-spread long-term damage and contamination limiting human use is biological weapons. Anthrax Island

And, if one wants to say that the engineers got it right but the project managers writing the checks to the contractors are to blame, one is in effect still saying that it's impossible to engineer a perfect system because management limitations on engineering aren't really functionally different than materials limitations and environment limitations. I would be ok with a nuclear power system that was engineered 100% by engineers with no consideration to cost. I would feel assured that such a system would be very, very safe. However, I suspect such a reactor would probably cost a good fraction of a trillion dollars and produce power that, when factoring in all end to end costs including construction, decommissioning, and waste storage, would be far more expensive than any known source in production or being contemplated.

As a parting thought: What's the contamination radius of a worst-case failure scenarios for wind, solar, geothermal, natural gas, or even coal (though I despise coal as the absolute worst non-nuclear source) for that matter?
JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-10-2011 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

JazzMan

18612 posts
Member since Mar 2003

Not the most important, but it is a clearly measurable metric. You seem to do well at ignoring it. It doesn't seem to matter to you.

It matters to me a lot. I'm not ignoring it at all, I just don't use it as a debate tactic.

Still not appreciating the condescension and derogatory comments.
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2011 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post
* News/Features
* Business
* Views
* Cool Japan
* Environment
* Fun Spots
* Sports
* What's on
* Biz Info/Press Release

Reactor in Fukui Prefecture shut down after radiation levels spike

BY KOSAKU ADACHI STAFF WRITER

2011/05/08

Printopen the story for print

Share Article このエントリをはてなブックマークに追加 Yahoo!ブックマークに登録 このエントリをdel.icio.usに登録 このエントリをlivedoorクリップに登録 このエントリをBuzzurlに登録

photoThe No. 1 reactor, front, and No. 2 reactor at the Tsuruga nuclear power plant in Tsuruga, Fukui Prefecture. (Asahi Shimbun file photo)

TSURUGA, Fukui Prefecture--A reactor at the Tsuruga nuclear power plant in Fukui Prefecture has been shut down May 7 for an emergency check following a jump in radioactive readings.

Japan Atomic Power Co., the plant operator, said May 6 the irregular readings at the No. 2 reactor could indicate damage to fuel assemblies in its core.

During scheduled maintenance May 2, radioactive noble gas was measured at 3,900 becquerels per cubic centimeter, 750 times normal, while iodine was two to four times normal.

However, the readings were still within safe levels, Japan Atomic Power said.

This is the first reactor unaffected by the March 11 Great East Japan Earthquake and tsunami to be shut down since the accident, according to regulator Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency.

The shutdown will bring the number of reactors offline in Fukui Prefecture, including reactors undergoing repair and regular inspections, to five. There are 13 commercial reactors in the prefecture.

Japan Atomic Power said it will check the emergency core cooling systems (ECCS) and examine fuel assemblies in the core while the No. 2 reactor is down.

The check of the ECCS is a reaction to Fukui Governor Issei Nishikawa's call for the plant operator to develop extra safety measures against quakes and tsunami while reactors are offline.
http://www.asahi.com/english/TKY201105070140.html

This is a different plant than the daiichi plant normally talked about.
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2011 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

dennis_6

7196 posts
Member since Aug 2001
Possible fire at Fukushima, May 8th
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2011 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post

Do appreciate the derogatory and sarcastic tone, wonder why I don't give what you say much credence?

So which statement do you consider derogatory? That your arguments ignore the actual safety records involved?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 64 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock