Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Japan's nuke problems--what's happening?--conflicting reports. (Page 20)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 64 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64 
Previous Page | Next Page
Japan's nuke problems--what's happening?--conflicting reports. by maryjane
Started on: 03-12-2011 09:14 AM
Replies: 2526
Last post by: 8Ball on 10-25-2013 05:04 PM
dennis_6

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 115
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2011 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

A rabbet with no ears eh? And you want people to think it is caused by the power plant eh?

So why are you posting this garbage?

Yeah, because radiation is good for you, right? BTW, there was a lot more to the video, than that. Maybe you should watch it and then try to attack me, oh wait, thats not conductive to your down playing fukushima to less than 3 mile island standards, when in reality it may have equaled or passed Chernobyl.

[This message has been edited by dennis_6 (edited 06-22-2011).]

IP: Logged
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2011 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

dennis_6

7196 posts
Member since Aug 2001
Japan Soil Measurements Surprisingly High
by Jocelyn Kaiser on 25 March 2011, 6:14 PM | Permanent Link | 12 Comments
Email Print | More
Previous Article Next Article

Concerns about radiation in Japan have now spread to the soil surrounding the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear reactor. One level that was reported this week was high enough to suggest people in that area should be evacuated, an expert says. But he cautions that it's hard to draw conclusions about these spot measurements without more data.

Today, Japanese officials told the population living up to 30 kilometers from the plant that they should consider leaving the area, expanding the previous 20-kilometer radius evacuation zone. But according to news reports, the advice stems from difficulties in supplying the region with food and water, not radiation levels.

Meanwhile, on Wednesday the Japanese science ministry began to report measurements of cesium-137 in upland soil around the plant. The levels are highest from two points northeast of the plant, ranging from 8690 becquerels/kilogram to a high of 163,000 Bq/kg measured on 20 March from a point in Iitate about 40 kilometers northwest of the Fukushima plant.

The soil measurements are more significant for evacuation purposes than radioactivity in the air, says nuclear engineer Shih-Yew Chen of Argonne National Laboratory in Illinois, because cesium dust stays underfoot while air is transient. Levels of cesium-137 are also more important than soil readings of iodine-131, which is short-lived and more of a concern in milk and vegetables. "It's the cesium that would prompt an evacuation," says Chen.

Based on a rough estimate, a person standing on soil with 163,000 Bq/kg of cesium-137 would receive about 150 millisieverts per year of radiation, says Chen. This is well above the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency standard of 50 millisieverts per year for an evacuation. (Per day, it's 0.41 millisieverts, which is equivalent to four chest x-rays.) But Chen adds, "one point [of data] doesn't mean that much."

The hot spot is similar to levels found in some areas affected by the 1986 Chernobyl nuclear reactor accident in the former Soviet Union. Assuming the radiation is no more than 2 centimeters deep, Chen calculates that 163,000 Bq/kg is roughly equivalent to 8 million Bq/m2. The highest cesium-137 levels in some villages near Chernobyl were 5 million Bq/m2.

For our complete coverage of the crisis in Japan, see our Japan Earthquake page. For Science's answers to reader questions about the crisis, see our Quake Questions page.
http://news.sciencemag.org/...d&utm_medium=twitter
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2011 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

dennis_6

7196 posts
Member since Aug 2001
Re cap so far...
Melt through of pressure vessels
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/...Fukushima-plant.html
Unit 2 containment Vessel leaking
http://news.xinhuanet.com/e...04/18/c_13834199.htm
Worse than thought
http://www.salem-news.com/a...ushima-worse-dj2.php
Government doubles estimate on radiation leaked at Fukushima
http://www.tokyotimes.jp/po...ed+at+Fukushima.html
Dozens of workers from Fukushima nuclear plant 'cannot be found'
http://www.theaustralian.co...frg6so-1226080166533

Down play this. lol
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2011 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dennis_6:

Yeah, because radiation is good for you, right? BTW, there was a lot more to the video, than that. Maybe you should watch it and then try to attack me, oh wait, thats not conductive to your down playing fukushima to less than 3 mile island standards, when in reality it may have equaled or passed Chernobyl.

I already read the headline and can deduce it lacks basic scientific and journalistic standards. I have never said high levels or any levels of radiation are good for anyone. I am not surprised you are trying to promote lies about what I have said.

Clearly Fukushima is far worse than 3 Mile Island. Can you find a single example where I have made some statement that it was not worse, after it became worse that TMI? Or is it that again you have no problem with totally distorting the truth to fit your alarmist storyline?

Many people died at Chernobyl. There has yet to be a single death attributable to radiation at Fukushima. Seems to me to be quite easy to judge which one is worse. But then I am not a fear monger poster.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2011 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post

phonedawgz

17091 posts
Member since Dec 2009
Your "worse than thought is a rehash of the same story you posted twice so far" It quote the same fault laden "study" from the same people who are getting weak minded people to believe things that aren't true. Do you believe if you post a version of it a forth time it will become more truthful?

Your "Melt through of pressure vessels" story talks about a leaking pressure vessel but then has a picture of something totally different. More misleading journalism.

Re cap so far...
Melt through of pressure vessels
Unit 2 containment Vessel leaking
http://news.xinhuanet.com/e...04/18/c_13834199.htm
Worse than thought
http://www.salem-news.com/a...ushima-worse-dj2.php
Government doubles estimate on radiation leaked at Fukushima
http://www.tokyotimes.jp/po...ed+at+Fukushima.html
Dozens of workers from Fukushima nuclear plant 'cannot be found'
http://www.theaustralian.co...frg6so-1226080166533

Down play this. lol

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 06-22-2011).]

dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2011 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

Your "worse than thought is a rehash of the same story you posted twice so far" It quote the same fault laden "study" from the same people who are getting weak minded people to believe things that aren't true. Do you believe if you post a version of it a forth time it will become more truthful?

Your "Melt through of pressure vessels" story talks about a leaking pressure vessel but then has a picture of something totally different. More misleading journalism.

So the pressure vessel is intact, yet the containment vessel of #2 is leaking, that doesn't even make sense. Besides TEPCO has already said full meltdowns. Are you getting a check from TEPCO or something?

dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2011 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

dennis_6

7196 posts
Member since Aug 2001
By Julian Ryall, Tokyo

1:06AM BST 09 Jun 2011

The findings of the report, which has been given to the International Atomic Energy Agency, were revealed by the Yomiuri newspaper, which described a "melt-through" as being "far worse than a core meltdown" and "the worst possibility in a nuclear accident."

A spokesman for Tokyo Electric Power Co. said the company is presently revising the road-map for bringing the plant under control, including the time required to achieve cold shutdown of the reactors.

In a best-case scenario, the company says it will be able to achieve that by October, although that may have to be revised in light of the report.

Water that was pumped into the pressure vessels to cool the fuel rods, becoming highly radioactive in the process, has been confirmed to have leaked out of the containment vessels and outside the buildings that house the reactors.

Tepco said it is trying to contain the contaminated water and prevent it from leaking into the sea, but elevated levels of radiation have been confirmed in the ocean off the plant.
Related Articles

The radiation will also have contaminated the soil and plant and animal life around the facility, making the task of cleaning up more difficult and expensive, as well as taking longer.

The experts have also yet to come up with a plan for decommissioning the ruined plant. Studies have estimated that the cost of the accident at Fukushima may rise as high as $250 billion over the next 10 years.

The pressure vessel of the No. 1 reactor is now believed to have suffered damage just five hours after the March 11 earthquake and tsunami, contrary to an estimation released by Tepco, which estimated the failure at 15 hours later.

Melt-downs of the fuel in the No. 2 and No. 3 reactors followed over the following days with the molten fuel collecting at the bottom of the pressure vessels before burning through and into the external steel containment vessels.

The fuel appears to be stable at present as it is being cooled by water pumped into the vessels, although it will complicate the emergency recovery plan put forward by the government.

The report comes after Japan's Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency doubled its initial estimate of the amount of radioactivity that was released from the plant in the days immediately after it was destroyed by the tsunami.

In early April, the agency said some 370,000 terabecquerels escaped from the facility. It now believes that figure was 770,000 terabecquerels. One terabecquerel is a trillion becquerels, the standard measure of radiation, while the permissible level of iodine-131 for vegetables and fish is 2,000 becquerels per kilogram.

Combined, the two announcements will raise further questions about the true scale of the problem at the plant and the measures being taken to get the situation under control.

"The recovery effort at the plant is likely to be more difficult as they will not be able to use their previous plan to contain the fuel," Yoshiaki Oka, a professor of nuclear science at Tokyo's Waseda University told The Daily Telegraph.

"So it may take longer and be more difficult, but it is something they have to do.

"But we now know that this happened at the very beginning of the accident, so I see no particular additional effects on human health," he said.

Another article that states the pressure vessels were melted through and the excuse that an article is invalid because it has a random picture of the plant in it, is BS. Thats like saying the Joplin Tornado didn't happen because there was an aerial pic of Joplin before the tornado in the article.

[This message has been edited by dennis_6 (edited 06-23-2011).]

dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2011 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

dennis_6

7196 posts
Member since Aug 2001

I already read the headline and can deduce it lacks basic scientific and journalistic standards. I have never said high levels or any levels of radiation are good for anyone. I am not surprised you are trying to promote lies about what I have said.

Clearly Fukushima is far worse than 3 Mile Island. Can you find a single example where I have made some statement that it was not worse, after it became worse that TMI? Or is it that again you have no problem with totally distorting the truth to fit your alarmist storyline?

Many people died at Chernobyl. There has yet to be a single death attributable to radiation at Fukushima. Seems to me to be quite easy to judge which one is worse. But then I am not a fear monger poster.

So you know more than the Physicist that CNN was interviewing? Seriously?
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post06-23-2011 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
You edited your post, but I'm replying to the original post:

Just curious, are directly-attributable deaths the only criteria you use to develop a personal understanding of how bad a reactor accident is?

Assuming that's the case, on a scale of 1-10, with deaths a 10, how would you rate:

Loss of habitable land

Loss of farmland/pasture

Loss of family homes and communities

Economic costs-taxpayer money spent cleaning up the mess and bailing out the utility/reactor owner

Economic costs of resettlement and restitution for loss of businesses, homes, farms, income, jobs, ranches, etc.

Medical costs associated with long-term treatment of illnesses caused directly and indirectly by the accident, including PTSD, cancer, etc. (Note, because Japan has a top-notch national health care service, these costs will be borne by the taxpayer anyway.)

You keep repeating the fact that nobody's died (yet) as a direct result of Fukushima, and your intent in doing so seems to be to say that nuclear power is safe. Yes, it's true nobody's died (yet), but I gotta say I'm disappointed that you can't seem to acknowledge the fact that the living have suffered greatly from Fukushima, that the needs of the living matter too. One person dies and it's a tragedy, but over 60,000 (and maybe more if the exclusion zone is bumped to 30km as is now being talked about) people are driven off their land, out of their homes, and you don't even blink an eye. Do you even care about the Fukushima refugees? Or is nuclear power so important to you that their lives, their suffering, is trivial by comparison?

phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2011 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post

It would appear so. I don't actually believe that I know more. I just think I have much less of an agenda to sell than that Physicist. I also don't have a book to sell about how horrible nuclear power is.

Anyone who actually believes that the birth mortality rate in the Pacific Northwest has actually jumped by 35% and the CDC and the government hasn't sounded the alarm is a non-thinker or a lier. The data was clearly cherry picked indicating the "Physicist" isn't a non-thinker.

Do you actually believe that the infant mortality rate in the Pacific Northwest has jumped by 35% after Fukushima?

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 06-23-2011).]

phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2011 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post

phonedawgz

17091 posts
Member since Dec 2009
Nope. I am not trying to minimize this catastrophe. The number of immediate fatalities is a number that can be easily measured and is without dispute. I know you like to quote pie in the sky numbers of fatalities that can't be actually measured or proven and you know I will dismiss them so why go there?

What do we know for sure:

No exploding core

No cloud of radioactive gas that drifted over populated areas

No deaths of emergency workers from acute radiation poisoning.

So seriously do you think this disaster is as equal to or worse than Chernobyl?

Seriously?

And btw, the wacko story that tries to put TMI close to this disaster or Chernobyl is a joke. The most humorous line is ""With Three Mile Island... ... you can pinpoint the exact day and time they started," he said, "But they never end.

I take it that the wacko states that TMI has not ended because the building is still standing there.

Originally posted by JazzMan:

Just curious, are directly-attributable deaths the only criteria you use to develop a personal understanding of how bad a reactor accident is?

Assuming that's the case, on a scale of 1-10, with deaths a 10, how would you rate:

Loss of habitable land

Loss of farmland/pasture

Economic costs-taxpayer money spent cleaning up the mess and bailing out the utility/reactor owner

Economic costs of resettlement and restitution for loss of businesses, homes, farms, income, jobs, ranches, etc.

Medical costs associated with long-term treatment of illnesses caused directly and indirectly by the accident, including PTSD, cancer, etc. (Note, because Japan has a top-notch national health care service, these costs will be borne by the taxpayer anyway.)

You keep repeating the fact that nobody's died (yet) as a direct result of Fukushima, and your intent in doing so seems to be to say that nuclear power is safe. Yes, it's true nobody's died (yet), but I gotta say I'm disappointed that you can't seem to acknowledge the fact that the living have suffered greatly from Fukushima, that the needs of the living matter too. One person dies and it's a tragedy, but over 60,000 (and maybe more if the exclusion zone is bumped to 30km as is now being talked about) people are driven off their land, out of their homes, and you don't even blink an eye. Do you even care about the Fukushima refugees? Or is nuclear power so important to you that their lives, their suffering, is trivial by comparison?

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 06-23-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2011 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post

phonedawgz

17091 posts
Member since Dec 2009
To specifically answer your question.

NONE of them comes close to the cost of a human life.

So let me ask you. What would be your equation as to the the the quantity of each of the things you stated to equal a human life?

Loss of habitable land

Loss of farmland/pasture

dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2011 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dennis_6:

It would appear so. I don't actually believe that I know more. I just think I have much less of an agenda to sell than that Physicist. I also don't have a book to sell about how horrible nuclear power is.

Anyone who actually believes that the birth mortality rate in the Pacific Northwest has actually jumped by 35% and the CDC and the government hasn't sounded the alarm is a non-thinker or a lier. The data was clearly cherry picked indicating the "Physicist" isn't a non-thinker.

Do you actually believe that the infant mortality rate in the Pacific Northwest has jumped by 35% after Fukushima?

[/QUOTE]

The 35% increase only equated to 2-3 infants a week. Thats not entirely far fetched.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
So if 3 infants per week equals about 1/3 of the Pacific Northwest's infant mortality rate? So the infant mortality rate of the Pacific Northwest was/is 10 infants a week?

You think that is a realistic number for the Pacific Northwest?
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

So if 3 infants per week equals about 1/3 of the Pacific Northwest's infant mortality rate? So the infant mortality rate of the Pacific Northwest was/is 10 infants a week?

You think that is a realistic number for the Pacific Northwest?

You have any reason to think it isn't?
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 01:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
They do seem to have their own special brand of problems over there.
http://www.reuters.com/arti...dUSTRE75N0H320110624

3.3 ton "device" falls into reactor vessel and got stuck. I guess that "device" doesn't have a normal name.

(Is that where my flying car went? )
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post
Hey Phonedawgz, are you still as confident about nuclear power in light of the fact that two US nuclear power plants are on the verge of being flooded out? If I'm not mistaken, those two plants would be upwind from you.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Pacific Northwest = Washington, Oregon, and Northern California.

Births per state

90,321 Washington

49,105 Oregon

551,779 - California

Let's use 100,000 for Northern California

Infant Mortality Rate per state (Deaths per 1,000)

WA - 5.1

OR - 5.6

CA - 5.2

Infant Mortality per state using the above

WA - 461

OR - 275

CA - 502

Totaled

1,238/year

24 deaths per week expected in the Pacific Northwest.

---
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0763849.html

http://www.statehealthfacts...ble.jsp?ind=47&cat=2
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post

phonedawgz

17091 posts
Member since Dec 2009

Originally posted by carnut122:

Hey Phonedawgz, are you still as confident about nuclear power in light of the fact that two US nuclear power plants are on the verge of being flooded out? If I'm not mistaken, those two plants would be upwind from you.

It's more likely that I would die by getting hit by a car, on my birthday while checking my mail box, than I would suffer any ill effects from non-comunist industrial nuclear power.

I am more likely to win the lottery twice than suffer any ill effects of the two power plants that you are referring to.

It's more likely that I would die from the stress of reading wacko nuclear posts than die from one of the power plants that you posted about.

So am I worried? Nope.
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

Pacific Northwest = Washington, Oregon, and Northern California.

Births per state

90,321 Washington

49,105 Oregon

551,779 - California

Let's use 100,000 for Northern California

Infant Mortality Rate per state (Deaths per 1,000)

WA - 5.1

OR - 5.6

CA - 5.2

Infant Mortality per state using the above

WA - 461

OR - 275

CA - 502

Totaled

1,238/year

24 deaths per week expected in the Pacific Northwest.

---
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0763849.html

http://www.statehealthfacts...ble.jsp?ind=47&cat=2

The article stated something like 8 pacific northwest cities were used not the entire pacific northwest, so their base normal seems reasonable.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
So I take it that you now agree that this headline is either a totally misleading overstate or just a plain outright lie. I take it that you realize that the supposed 'spike' in the mortality rate is not a spike at all.

Normal variation in a small sample is not a 'spike'

I also take it that you do realize your article is indeed a wacko article.

Another "whacko" article...
http://www.q13fox.com/news/...0617,0,5968165.story
Northwest sees 35% infant mortality spike post-Fukushima
Medical professionals publish report highlighting post-Fukushima mortality spike.

Northwest sees 35% infant mortality spike post-Fukushima

Berit Anderson Q13 FOX News Web Reporter

8:44 p.m. PDT, June 17, 2011

Physician Janette Sherman, M.D. and epidemiologist Joseph Mangano published a report Monday highlighting a 35% spike in northwest infant mortality after Japan's nuclear meltdown.

The report spotlighted data from the CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report on infant mortality rates in eight northwest cities, including Seattle, in the 10 weeks after Fukushima's nuclear meltdown.

The average number of infant deaths for the region moved from an average of 9.25 in the four weeks before Fukushima' nuclear meltdown, to an average of 12.5 per week in the 10 weeks after. The change represents a 35% increase in the northwest's infant mortality rates.

In comparison, the average rates for the entire U.S. rose only 2.3%

PFF
System Bot
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

So I take it that you now agree that this headline is either a totally misleading overstate or just a plain outright lie. I take it that you realize that the supposed 'spike' in the mortality rate is not a spike at all.

Normal variation in a small sample is not a 'spike'

I also take it that you do realize your article is indeed a wacko article.

No, I just see you trying to discredit anything that states nuclear energy has or will ever harm anyone in the United States or Japan for that matter.

JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-24-2011 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

I know you like to quote pie in the sky numbers of fatalities that can't be actually measured or proven and you know I will dismiss them so why go there?

Really? Mind providing links to threads where I've posted "pie in the sky" numbers of fatalities? Or any numbers of fatalities, for that matter? Please, if it's something I "like to quote", you should have no problem proving it with numerous links...
JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-24-2011 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

JazzMan

18612 posts
Member since Mar 2003

To specifically answer your question.

NONE of them comes close to the cost of a human life.

So let me ask you. What would be your equation as to the the the quantity of each of the things you stated to equal a human life?

I've never said they equal a human life, and you know it. What I have said, repeatedly, and what you have ignored, repeatedly, is the fact that all the factors are also important when making the decision if nuclear fission is a good decision or bad. You want to make it either or, a super-simplistic way of looking at things (but pretty standard for your ideology) that ignores so many other factors that it's essentially meaningless.

The fact of the matter is, that once you start factoring in costs of cleaning up nuclear disasters, the full costs, not just the cost in lives, nuclear fission is just not an economically viable means of producing electricity.

That one reactor complex in Fukushima will likely cost the Japanese economy nearly as much as all the other damage from the earthquake and tsunami combined. One little plant, just a few acres in size, will end up putting a dent in the Japanese economy that they will likely not be able to recover from in all the years left to you, me, and your children, their children, probably even their grandchildren.

Is that equal to a human life? Of course not! But only a true moron would ignore all the other costs just to push a personal ideological agenda. I know you're not a moron, your posts in technical are proof of that, so what are you when you ignore or downplay all the rest?

BTW, if there was no radioactive cloud released over the rest of Japan, how do you explain all the radiation contamination in the dozens of square miles around the plant? Maybe the radiation took a cab? LOL.
JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-24-2011 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

JazzMan

18612 posts
Member since Mar 2003

Originally posted by maryjane:

They do seem to have their own special brand of problems over there.
http://www.reuters.com/arti...dUSTRE75N0H320110624

3.3 ton "device" falls into reactor vessel and got stuck. I guess that "device" doesn't have a normal name.

(Is that where my flying car went? )

Maybe it's a blowout preventer from BP's well in the Gulf? Gotta be something useful to do with one of those...
JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-24-2011 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

JazzMan

18612 posts
Member since Mar 2003

It's more likely that I would die by getting hit by a car, on my birthday while checking my mail box, than I would suffer any ill effects from non-comunist industrial nuclear power.

I am more likely to win the lottery twice than suffer any ill effects of the two power plants that you are referring to.

It's more likely that I would die from the stress of reading wacko nuclear posts than die from one of the power plants that you posted about.

So am I worried? Nope.

So if government agents showed up at your door and told you to get out and leave all your stuff behind, that maybe you'd be able to go back someday, maybe even by next year, you'd have no problem with obeying? With living in a refugee evacuation center for a few months, maybe a year or two? With waiting a year or two ( or maybe never) to be compensated for the loss of your home, your land, your farm?

Credulity: Stretched to the point of breaking...
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post

That one reactor complex in Fukushima will likely cost the Japanese economy nearly as much as all the other damage from the earthquake and tsunami combined. One little plant, just a few acres in size, will end up putting a dent in the Japanese economy that they will likely not be able to recover from in all the years left to you, me, and your children, their children, probably even their grandchildren.
(

You don't actually believe that do you?
JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-25-2011 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

I used the word "likely", and honestly believe it to be true, probably. But, I know you're sitting on a hoard of real information what with your knowledge of these things and all, so you know that it isn't true, though for some reason other than saying it's not true you offer no other information. I've seen numbers in the hundreds of billions of dollars to not only clean up the reactors over the next decades but also to compensate all people who have suffered losses due to the nuclear disaster. Things like buying farms, paying for relocation, paying for lost property, farm animals and crops, lost farm income, lost jobs due to the forced evacuation, compensation for intangible losses such as being forced to live in refugee centers for months, if not years, the list goes on and on. Wave your Jedi mind trick hand around all you want, you can't hide the costs of this nuclear disaster from anyone, least of all the suckers in Japan who are beginning to realize just how badly they've been taken.

And the shame is, it could all have been prevented by anticipating that an earthquake and tsunami could happen on the shore of an island in one of the most active seismic zones on the planet, with a history of tsunamis.

So yeah, bleat out all the false indignation you want, you have exactly zero meaning in, and nothing to contribute to, the lives of all the folks in Japan who will have suffered so greatly because a nuclear power plant cut corners on their backup generator strategy. You have nothing to lose by being a proponent of nuclear power in this country, and evidently no concern whatsoever for the survivors there or the future here. You are plainly glad that nobody died (yet), and rightfully so, but to your way of thinking, that's it for you. Anybody dead? Nope? Ok, move along, nothing important here...

Whatever...

I know I can't change your mind, you have absolutely zero interest in knowing anything that doesn't support your particular view on this subject. I mainly am replying for the audience, within which maybe some who are willing to learn something different than industry supporting canon on the subject.

carnut122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2011 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post

So am I worried? Nope.

I gotta hand it to you. You never waver.
carnut122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2011 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post

carnut122

9122 posts
Member since Jan 2004

Actually, I do.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2011 01:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carnut122:

I am, and still would be if they were located right outside my bedroom window. Ain't skeered.

Let 'er rip Tater chip!!
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2011 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
The ongoing problems of Fukushima pales in comparison to the collateral damage of the tsunami that killed tens of thousands of people and totally destroyed coastal cities in whole.

You could fence around the exclusion area of Fukushima and do nothing to mediate the conditions and it would still be minor issue as compared to the tsunami.

Except in the minds of those who are overly concerned with nuclear power and it's effects.
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post
Radioactive water leaks from Japan's damaged plant

* inShare20
* Share this
* Email
* Print

Related News

* Japan utility gets to keep nuclear reactors despite
8:02am EDT

Analysis & Opinion

* Transcript of Carlos Ghosn interview
* Having fun in the office