Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  BIN LADEN IS DEAD!!! (Page 7)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 14 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14 
Previous Page | Next Page
BIN LADEN IS DEAD!!! by Raydar
Started on: 05-01-2011 10:42 PM
Replies: 550
Last post by: Doni Hagan on 05-13-2011 06:04 PM
Boondawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post05-02-2011 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Fake or not, don't you think that's a bit graphic for a family forum?

Being fake, I didn't think so.
But I will change it.
IP: Logged
Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2011 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosDirect Link to This Post
I have been watching the news and listening to peoples posts on the killing of Osama Bin Laden. Like many of you I was there when EVERYONE watched in amazement and awe stricken grief when those planes full of innocent Americans were hurdled into iconic American buildings filled with INNOCENT Americans killing and serevely injuring too many to even believe. I listened to the reports from the Fire Hall I was stationed at here in Tennessee not sure whether it was an accident or what and remember distinctly all of the people I know in New York and wondering if any of them just HAPPENED to be involved. I also remember distinctly the people who decided to take control of their plane back from the Terrorist Cowards who hijacked it and literally gave their lives to try to ensure that no other American building on the ground would be destroyed along with the people inside. This man they killed was the MASTERMIND of this heinous attack on INNOCENT people. It sickens me that people will take this fact and twist it into whatever political bent they find appropriate for their needs. There are those of you here that have served our country and given of yourselves to protect it. There are those of you who love this country as much as I do. I doubt that anyone here can honestly say that the world is not a better place now that this monster is dead. I do not care if he was on life support in a hospital bed when they got him. What he was capable of took no more than simple words from his mouth and his followers would go to their deaths to make it happen. Will there be another monster right behind him, probably, will we do everything we can to protect our country from him, I hope and pray we will. Our country is not perfect, Our president is not perfect. There was a time when people had love and respect for our country and would defend it at all costs, the people in our military are a BRAVE and HONORABLE testament to this. While I remember the terrible acts of that day what I more remember of it is how it brought our country together in concern and love for those that needed help. I will NEVER forget the Firefighters and policemen who RAN into those buildings in an effort to help as many as they could and lost their lives in the process. All of this happened because of the hatred and evil of this one man. I don't care if we had to scour the earth for fifty years to get him. Just that we get him is all that really matters. If nothing more than a symbol that our country will freakin' fight back and NEVER stop to find and punish those that would take innocents lives. I remember back when my grandfather would speak about the war, I remember my father and his almost inability to speak about Viet Nam and his involvement there. I have close friends and family that either have served or are currently serving our country over there right now. This had to happen.....

I am not so naive to believe that this mans death will fix anything in the world's future. There are FAR too many people like him that HATE us for who we are, what we believe, what we stand for, and even for what we have done over there. It is inevitable.... There will always be those that hate us. There are those that hate people from every country for one reason or another. To me this man was different. He CHOSE to plan and execute a large scale attack on innocents. That is the kind of monster that I am talking about here. He and those like him think that their only way of getting attention is to take the lives of people who do not even know they exist.... There was a comparison of him to Adolf Hitler.... IMHO that is a pretty fair comparison.... Both of them planned and executed LARGE scale attacks on people who could not only not defend themselves but had no idea that they were being targeted. That is the epitome of cowardess...... say what you want.... I am glad this man is dead. Peace

Pete

uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post05-02-2011 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
..Screw political correctness,,the hero,leader of Islam is dead,CELEBRATE this monster is killed,,he killed many many Moslems,children , there are more than the killed ,, the blinded, crippled,wheelchairs,missing limbs,on crutches in 3 world countries because of this monster of a man in Kenya ,Yemen,Turkey .Lebanon ,Iraq,,remember the embassy bombings?/ You pathetic souls who are so Political Correct ,you need a stick of dynamite placed up a critical orifice & the fuse lit,,it would take some of the Pathetic PC out of you,while you watched ,I have fought these monsters,,I have seen the victims how sad and pathetic you are.How hollow your soul,how empty your hearts mind
Hopefully with the head of the snake cut off ,,fewer will join
I do not drink tonite, i will drink one to Richard Marchinko & his legacy at seal team six..
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2011 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wolfhound:

LOL, What a load of bull. Roger ,are you saying that, had the mission gone bad ,you and the other republican lackeys here, wouldn't have given The Commander in Chief 100% blame? Do you think everybody at PFF is stupid. What a bunch of whinners, grow up.
"Carry On"

Nope, it wouldnt have been his fault....he had nothing to do with it. I didnt blame the President when the helicopters crashed in the Iran Rescue attempt either. Also didnt blame the president for the Towers attack. Obama runs the government, he dont make day to day military decisions. He was never even in the miltary. He would be responsible to make a decision to drop nukes on them, but nothing else. He dont sign or authorize even an air sortie or a combat patrol....all is done in theater by people who know what their doing. His military role is Commander in Chief to the generals he puts in charge. I never saw a presidential signature on ANY of my orders. He has no miltary training in anything. He couldnt command a troop in basic training.

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2011 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
The backlash begins. OBL's burial at sea is a violation of Islamic and Sahria law

Osama bin Laden's burial at sea was quickly criticised by Muslim scholars who claimed it had breached sharia law and warned that it may provoke calls for revenge attacks against US targets.

Others used the sea burial question to doubt whether he was, in fact, dead at all, with doubts fuelled by the absence of authentic photographs of his corpse.

Burying the al-Qaida leader on land could have led to his grave becoming a focus of contention and pilgrimage as well as posing tough questions about where he should be laid to rest.

"Finding a country willing to accept the remains of the world's most wanted terrorist would have been difficult," a US official said. "So the US decided to bury him at sea." The burial reportedly took place from the deck of the aircraft carrier USS Carl Vinson in the North Arabian sea.

Senior US officials told news agencies that his body would be disposed of in accordance with Islamic tradition, which involves ritual washing, shrouding and burial within 24 hours.

The 24-hour rule has not always been applied in the past. For example, there was controversy when the bodies of Uday and Qusay Hussein - sons of the Iraqi dictator Saddam - were embalmed and held for 11 days after they were killed by US forces. Their bodies were later shown to media.

Standard Muslim practice involves placing the body in a grave with the head pointed toward the holy city of Mecca. Burial at sea is rare in Islam, though Muslim websites say it is permitted in certain circumstances. One is on a long voyage where the body may decompose and pose a health hazard to a ship's passengers, an exception noted on Monday by the Tunisian scholar Ahmed al-Gharbi. Another is if there is a risk of enemies digging up a land grave and exhuming or mutilating the body.

Dr Saud al-Fanisan, former dean of the faculty of sharia law in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, said that if a body was buried at sea it should be protected from fish. In the words of alislam.org, the body should be lowered into the water "in a vessel of clay or with a weight tied to its feet".

Mohammed al-Qubaisi, Dubai's grand mufti, said of Bin Laden's burial: "They can say they buried him at sea, but they cannot say they did it according to Islam. Sea burials are permissible for Muslims in extraordinary circumstances. This is not one of them."

Abdul-Sattar al-Janabi, who preaches at Baghdad's Abu Hanifa mosque, said: "What was done by the Americans is forbidden by Islam and might provoke some Muslims. It is not acceptable and it is almost a crime to throw the body of a Muslim man into the sea. The body of Bin Laden should have been handed over to his family to look for a country to bury him."

The radical Lebanon-based cleric Omar Bakri Mohammed said: "The Americans want to humiliate Muslims through this burial, and I don't think this is in the interest of the US administration."

The Egyptian analyst and lawyer Montasser el-Zayat said Bin Laden's sea burial was designed to prevent his grave from becoming a shrine. But an option was an unmarked grave. "They don't want to see him become a symbol," he said. "But he is already a symbol in people's hearts."

They should have killed him themselves years ago and buried him however they wished. I will never believe, his movements and wherabouts weren't known by hundreds (if not thousands) of people of one form of the Islamic faith or another, some Islamic leaders, and at least one govt of a nation steeped deeply in Islamic history and culture.

I can't prove it, and they will all deny it, but it is absurd to believe that this standard of evil and his followers spent 10 years with supposedly so few knowing anything--especially in light of where he was found and how he was living.
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2011 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by uhlanstan:

..Screw political correctness

I have to correct your lack of political correctness in one specific case only...

The leader of RADICAL Islam is dead...

I have several friends who are Muslim and were on the phone with me last night cheering along just as much as I was.
Don't group everyone under the same title..

Am I glad Osama is dead? Hell yes! So are my Muslim friends..

After 9/11, they had to become ambassadors for their religion.. Because naturally, being Muslim is evil and automatically makes them allies with terrorists... They were unfairly treated, and in one case, even had a car vandalized.
They are not extremists, they do not practice Sharia. They are normal people holding normal jobs leading normal lives.

When the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, Japanese-American citizens, members of our own country were locked into internment camps...
Get the point? Not everyone can be grouped together...

I am a bad father because I am not married to my ex-wife helping to support the children. According to the State of Minnesota, this automatically makes me a deadbeat dad even though I pay child support and spend time with my children.

Those are just examples....
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-02-2011 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
OBAMA IS DIRECTLY RESPONSIBLE FOR KILLING OSAMA,,IT IS A MAJOR DECISION TO SEND MEN INTO A COMPOUND IN ANOTHER COUNTRY TO KILL THE BIGGEST HERO IN ISLAM
give him his due,,I was not there,but seals have spoken out on a mission 3/4 years ago,,but a decision was made not to go into Pakistan ,, the team was in the Air..

I am FAR FAR right ,a Militarist,,I want IRAN nuked,, but Obama took out the most famous Islamic Muslim of the past 300 years ,,osama ben laden
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2011 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post

OBAMA IS DIRECTLY RESPONSIBLE FOR KILLING OSAMA,,IT IS A MAJOR DECISION TO SEND MEN INTO A COMPOUND IN ANOTHER COUNTRY TO KILL THE BIGGEST HERO IN ISLAM
give him his due,,I was not there,but seals have spoken out on a mission 3/4 years ago,,but a decision was made not to go into Pakistan ,, the team was in the Air..

I am FAR FAR right ,a Militarist,,I want IRAN nuked,, but Obama took out the most famous Islamic Muslim of the past 300 years ,,osama ben laden

Thats all a joke right.........................Obama didnt have to do a damn thing. Were at war in another country, killing enemies. It would be different if they were going in to kill the Pakistani president. They went in to get a terrorist criminal and that was the reason were in the country in the first place. If Obama was in uniform and carrying a rifle with him during the attack, Id give him credit. If the general went in on his own and did the same thing, hed be the one we would be calling hero. Obama is a military joke.

Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2011 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
Obama risked angering a nuclear power with what could be described as an act of war, invading Pakistan and murdering people on their sovereign territory. That took some guts. More than I thought he had. I will give him the benefit of the doubt that it was not motivated by politics.
Now if Bush had done it, some on the left would be calling it reckless, cowboyish, etc.
This nit-picking is only making people move to Obama's side.
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-02-2011 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
Synthesis ,,the most popular name in Islam for new borns was?? do you know,, what did millions of Muslims name thier children the past 9 years ..?? It starts with an O
today on the Radio, I heard a local prominent Muslim cleric say glad he,s dead,, where was this guy the past 9 years ,,you ever hear of Care ??
There are millions of closet Osama sympathezers in America ,,I still remember 9/11 when the muslims would not speak out..How many Muslems support Hamas and Hezbollah with MONEY??find out ,it will suprise you..
Never forget we have CARE now ,,because the old muslim support groups were 95% supporting terrorist,& disolved after 9/11..
..Do you remember all the women who became spokepersons for Islam..all gone now,
how about all the muslems who carried out killings and bombing & it was covered up! over 100,, the most famous the Ft Hood shooter Major..which did recieve publicity..as little mention of his religion as possible

I feel zero for these people who would not speak out against Osama just after americans jump to thier deaths
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2011 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerDirect Link to This Post
Can someone please send a clip to al-Jazeera of Americans chanting and celebrating? I think we owe them one.

Jonathan
PFF
System Bot
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-02-2011 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Thats all a joke right.........................Obama didnt have to do a damn thing.

Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2011 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Synthesis ,,the most popular name in Islam for new borns was?? do you know,, what did millions of Muslims name thier children the past 9 years ..?? It starts with an O
today on the Radio, I heard a local prominent Muslim cleric say glad he,s dead,, where was this guy the past 9 years ,,you ever hear of Care ??
There are millions of closet Osama sympathezers in America ,,I still remember 9/11 when the muslims would not speak out..How many Muslems support Hamas and Hezbollah with MONEY??find out ,it will suprise you..
Never forget we have CARE now ,,because the old muslim support groups were 95% supporting terrorist,& disolved after 9/11..
..Do you remember all the women who became spokepersons for Islam..all gone now,
how about all the muslems who carried out killings and bombing & it was covered up! over 100,, the most famous the Ft Hood shooter Major..which did recieve publicity..as little mention of his religion as possible

I feel zero for these people who would not speak out against Osama just after americans jump to thier deaths

My point is, you can not group everyone under the same title/banner/group...

My Muslim friends do NOT support Osama and were just as outraged about the attacks as everyone else.
Here is a point to fire back at you...

All of the Muslims I know personally are AGAINST terrorism or extremism...

ALL of the Muslims I know personally are happy now that Osama is dead.

ALL of the Muslims I know were afraid to speak out publicly against radical Islam due to people they know who are NOT such nice people.
But I'd trust my Muslim friends with my life, and I know they would do the same.

Sometimes, opening your mouth can move you from the frying pan and into the fire..

And, 93% of all statistics are made up on the spot, so re-evaluate your percentages in your post...

I understand that you hate anyone and everyone who has any ties to Islam, even if they are good people just trying to live their lives.
Don't group everyone together.

[This message has been edited by Synthesis (edited 05-02-2011).]

Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2011 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
While Stan is on one extreme, the other extreme is those that say there are no Muslims in the us who side with the Al Queda cause.
It is a religion that has for decades appealed to some Americans who hate their country for various reasons. I don't really see that history with the other major religions.
That is not the fault of the peace loving Muslims, but it is a fact.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-02-2011 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Synthesis:

I understand that you hate anyone and everyone who has any ties to Islam, even if they are good people just trying to live their lives.

That is just Stans SHORT list!
It would be easier to list the people Stan DON'T hate.
But I can't think of who that might be....
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-02-2011 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Boondawg

38235 posts
Member since Jun 2003
Do we condone killing without a trial? Is assassination ever an ethical act? Was justice served?

At a White House briefing Monday, Homeland Security advisor John Brennan said "we would have taken bin Laden alive if we could," although the team of U.S. Special Forces trained for both eventualities — taking him alive or engaging in a fight.

The American government has been trying to take out this man for a nearly decade. They finally did.

Press reports say that the military team that killed Osama Bin Laden is an elite special forces group unofficially called SEAL Team 6 . Officially, the team's name is classified and not available to the public. Technically there is no team 6. The members of Team 6 are all "black" operatives. They exist outside military protocol, engage in operations that are at the highest level of classification and often outside the boundaries of international law. To maintain plausible deniability in case they are caught, records of black operations are not kept.

So, the President ordered an elite, “off the books” team to kill our most hated enemy. But, doesn’t that order violate international law?

Article 23b of the Hague Regulations, adopted by the U.S. and other nations in 1907, prohibits “assassination, proscription, or outlawry of an enemy, or putting a price upon an enemy’s head, as well as offering a reward for an enemy 'dead or alive'." In 1976, President Gerald Ford signed an executive order banning assassination.

The events of 9/11 changed American policy. In October, 2001 President George W. Bush authorized the CIA to carry out missions to assassinate Osama bin Laden and his supporters. He publicly declared that bin Laden was “wanted, dead or alive.” And President Obama has maintained that policy.

Is the killing of Osama bin Laden an "assassination"? And if it is, is it morally right? Does it "serve justice" to hunt down our enemies and slay them rather than capture them and put them on trial? Do American values permit retribution for horrible crimes without worrying about due process?

What is interesting about the prohibition of assassination in international law is that when it was enacted, long, long ago, it was intended to protect heads of state — not leaders of terrorist movements. Strange as it may seem, it is harder to justify blowing up Moammar Gadhafi in a tent in Libya using a predator drone than it is shooting bin Laden in the head.

One way to see that justice is served by killing bin Laden is to see that he was playing essentially a military role in waging war against America. According to fatwa he issued in 1998, it is the duty of Muslims around the world to wage holy war on the United States, American civilians, and Jews. Muslims who do not heed this call are apostates, people who have forsaken their faith, and thus legitimate targets for death as well. Bin Laden was neither a diplomat nor a politician. Nor was he a civilian. He was essentially a military figure leading a band of combatants in a self-styled religious war. Military leaders are fair game.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id...-death_of_bin_laden/

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 05-02-2011).]

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2011 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
I can not believe it took this long to get him. Thats how far we have sunk. We need our hero's again, we need to not be afraid to do the right thing because it may offend someone elses country.

I'm glad he is dead, I wish there was more proof. He will be around for years to come, conspiracy nut cases will be resurrecting him more often Elvis.
fierobear

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2011 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tigger:

If we cave to fear and are fearful of bringing justice to those who mastermind, perpetrate and fund the attacks on 9/11/2001, terrorism wins. That's like saying don't bring justice to a murderer for fear his family or friends may use him as a martyr and retaliate in some way. Well, I say if they decide that's the path they want to take, well then we'll bring justice to them as well.

Exactly. And that's why terrorists terrorize, to try to control us through fear. Getting Bin Laden was a good move.

theBDub

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2011 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post
I thought it was really cool he said "One nation, under GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all... May GOD bless you, and may GOD bless the United States" at the end of his speech.

Good job Obama...
WhiteDevil88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 497
User Banned

Report this Post05-02-2011 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteDevil88Send a Private Message to WhiteDevil88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

I can not believe it took this long to get him. Thats how far we have sunk. We need our hero's again, we need to not be afraid to do the right thing because it may offend someone elses country.

I'm glad he is dead, I wish there was more proof. He will be around for years to come, conspiracy nut cases will be resurrecting him more often Elvis.

The proof you wish for exists, I am sure. The war room at the White House was following the operation in real time, and I believe that he will milk this achievement all the way into a second term. Give the people a chance, it hasn't even been 24 hours yet, has it?
fierobear

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2011 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2011 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theBDub:

I thought it was really cool he said "One nation, under GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all... May GOD bless you, and may GOD bless the United States" at the end of his speech.

Good job Obama...

I like the part when the President said "A small team of Americans carried out the operation with extraordinary courage and capability. No Americans were harmed. They took care to avoid civilian casualties. After a firefight, they killed Osama bin Laden and took custody of his body."

Flamberge

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2011 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlambergeSend a Private Message to FlambergeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theBDub:

Good job Obama...

I thought so too.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-02-2011 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wichita:

"After a firefight, they killed Osama bin Laden and took custody of his body."

I think I would have worded it, "DURING a firefight, they killed Osama bin Laden and took custody of his body."
The other way sounds like an execution.
Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2011 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

Do we condone killing without a trial? Is assassination ever an ethical act? Was justice is served?

At a White House briefing Monday, Homeland Security advisor John Brennan said "we would have taken bin Laden alive if we could," although the team of U.S. Special Forces trained for both eventualities — taking him alive or engaging in a fight.

The American government has been trying to take out this man for a nearly decade. They finally did.

Press reports say that the military team that killed Osama Bin Laden is an elite special forces group unofficially called SEAL Team 6 . Officially, the team's name is classified and not available to the public. Technically there is no team 6. The members of Team 6 are all "black" operatives. They exist outside military protocol, engage in operations that are at the highest level of classification and often outside the boundaries of international law. To maintain plausible deniability in case they are caught, records of black operations are not kept.

So, the President ordered an elite, “off the books” team to kill our most hated enemy. But, doesn’t that order violate international law?

Article 23b of the Hague Regulations, adopted by the U.S. and other nations in 1907, prohibits “assassination, proscription, or outlawry of an enemy, or putting a price upon an enemy’s head, as well as offering a reward for an enemy 'dead or alive'." In 1976, President Gerald Ford signed an executive order banning assassination.

The events of 9/11 changed American policy. In October, 2001 President George W. Bush authorized the CIA to carry out missions to assassinate Osama bin Laden and his supporters. He publicly declared that bin Laden was “wanted, dead or alive.” And President Obama has maintained that policy.

Is the killing of Osama bin Laden an "assassination"? And if it is, is it morally right? Does it "serve justice" to hunt down our enemies and slay them rather than capture them and put them on trial? Do American values permit retribution for horrible crimes without worrying about due process?

What is interesting about the prohibition of assassination in international law is that when it was enacted, long, long ago, it was intended to protect heads of state — not leaders of terrorist movements. Strange as it may seem, it is harder to justify blowing up Moammar Gadhafi in a tent in Libya using a predator drone than it is shooting bin Laden in the head.

One way to see that justice is served by killing bin Laden is to see that he was playing essentially a military role in waging war against America. According to fatwa he issued in 1998, it is the duty of Muslims around the world to wage holy war on the United States, American civilians, and Jews. Muslims who do not heed this call are apostates, people who have forsaken their faith, and thus legitimate targets for death as well. Bin Laden was neither a diplomat nor a politician. Nor was he a civilian. He was essentially a military figure leading a band of combatants in a self-styled religious war. Military leaders are fair game.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id...-death_of_bin_laden/

Interesting thoughts. I thought about the executive order too. But I thought it specifically said head of state. You know Ford was a lawyer after all. In this case, they killed him in an attempt to apprehend him. But there is no records so we have to take their word for it. I'm sure international laws were violated, unless the Paki gov't gave us permission.

How far have we sunk? We the US Haven't sunk so far. The world is a more complicated place. The Pakis have been harboring him for years. They have nukes. What are ya gonna do.
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2011 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post
Photo too large edit

[This message has been edited by Wichita (edited 05-02-2011).]

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-02-2011 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wichita:

Begs the question, too graphic, eventhough it IS fake?
The only difference between yours and mine is that mine was drawn (photoshopped) better?
The better the worse?

Just an observation, not pointed at you.

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post05-02-2011 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Scottzilla79:

While Stan is on one extreme, the other extreme is those that say there are no Muslims in the us who side with the Al Queda cause.
It is a religion that has for decades appealed to some Americans who hate their country for various reasons. I don't really see that history with the other major religions.
That is not the fault of the peace loving Muslims, but it is a fact.

You should do a little reading about the IRA...
Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2011 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
Which IRA? Oh,
Jazz you obviously didn't read my post carefully and just tried to one up me with the first thing that popped in your precious little head.
I was referring to religions that recruited people unhappy with the US.
The IRA did not recruit protestants to join the catholic church. They recruited existing Catholics to be bomb-throwers.
Also to say the Irish Troubles were/are strictly over religion is a false simplification. It was very much a nationalist anti-colonial movement.
It's like saying the Vietnam war was a war between Buddhism or Confucianism and Christianity.

[This message has been edited by Scottzilla79 (edited 05-02-2011).]

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-02-2011 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Scottzilla79:

Which IRA?

Individual Retirement Account.
Them banks are ruthless!
Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2011 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
LOL I was thinking IRA glass, its all NPR's fault.
PFF
System Bot
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2011 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Never mind I was just trying to be funny

[This message has been edited by Jake_Dragon (edited 05-02-2011).]

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-02-2011 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

Never mind I was just trying to be funny

Snap, indeed!
Unemployment for him tomorrow, for sure.

Hey, I thought it was funny!

Grandaddy84SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2011 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Grandaddy84SESend a Private Message to Grandaddy84SEDirect Link to This Post
Of all the things I could imagine happening, I thought the killing of Osama Ben Laden would be the one thing that everyone on this forum would get behind and applaud with none of the usual petty bickering. Silly me.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2011 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

Begs the question, too graphic, eventhough it IS fake?
The only difference between yours and mine is that mine was drawn (photoshopped) better?
The better the worse?

Just an observation, not pointed at you.

If you can't tell the difference between your picture and a line drawing, maybe its a question best answered by Cliff? I thought your pic might be a bit much on a family forum and mentioned it. There's a lot of material that has been faked that would be inappropriate for display on this forum. The question is where an individual chooses to draw the line.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-02-2011 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

If you can't tell the difference between your picture and a line drawing, maybe its a question best answered by Cliff? I thought your pic might be a bit much on a family forum and mentioned it. There's a lot of material that has been faked that would be inappropriate for display on this forum. The question is where an individual chooses to draw the line.

Well, I did change it, based on your assessment of it.
Offending someone is not my thing.

My judgement may sometimes be seen as bad judgement by others.
I'm not always imediatly aware of when that might happen.
But I am always willing to conciede that when it happens, I will rectify when possable.

Cheever3000

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2011 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
I tell ya one thing... Pakistan can kissmyass. We need to go back there and finish the job,
because they harbored that terrorist and gave him safe haven. They probably kissed his butt,
shined his sandals, and gave him their women as well.

Bin Laden and all his supporters should have been decapitated, the burning bodies hung from
a bridge, and the heads buried under a pig farm with pork chops tied inside their turbans.

And THEN shoot 'em.

Did we make a martyr? Let's make some more.

[This message has been edited by Cheever3000 (edited 05-02-2011).]

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2011 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post

+100
1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2011 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Shyster:

Apparently, your position is: "Oh, we just needed something to celebrate!"

Great assumption, and I'm not being sarcastic.

Heck, I'll celebrate if I have an exceptional bagel for breakfast. I'm all about positive emotions, man. And though the loss of any human life is negative, why not try to make the best out of it?

I guess what I'm saying, is that if people are enjoying themselves, be it watching the news reports on the TV, or starting a parade to celebrate the vindication of the lives taken on 9/11, why should anyone try to take that happiness away?
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post05-02-2011 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

I can't prove it, and they will all deny it, but it is absurd to believe that this standard of evil and his followers spent 10 years with supposedly so few knowing anything--especially in light of where he was found and how he was living.

i have to agree.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 14 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock