Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Want to Ecotec Your Fiero? Look here... (Page 5)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
Want to Ecotec Your Fiero? Look here... by Fosgatecavy98
Started on: 02-02-2009 05:09 PM
Replies: 179
Last post by: wftb on 01-02-2013 05:47 PM
benjamin.long

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2011 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for benjamin.longClick Here to visit benjamin.long's HomePageSend a Private Message to benjamin.longDirect Link to This Post
It looks like diyautotune has a kit for the vvt on miata's. It's yet another box though, and I'm not sure it could be adapted.
IP: Logged
benjamin.long

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2011 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for benjamin.longClick Here to visit benjamin.long's HomePageSend a Private Message to benjamin.longDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fosgatecavy98:

Hey Ben, I just got your email through the site. I am going to answer your questions here, but I am going to send you an email. For some reason I think my emails are all going directly to the spam folder. If you could let me know if my email made it back to your inbox and not spam it would be very helpful

Unfortunately no standalone can successfully control the VVT of the LE5 (yet) but you can do what I did and use a LE5 bottom end with a L61 head. This is 100% bolt-on. However, the L61 cams are way to tiny for the LE5 displacement and stroke. With the stock L61 cams, it drives normal around town but it runs out of air over 4,000 rpms and I mean it just stops revving and going any faster, it is that bad.

I will be publishing a .pdf file for the swap soon on my website. It will be a few pages long but will outline the various ways of swapping an ecotec.

IMO if you are looking for a gas-mileage vehicle and no power upgrades (besides the necessary ones for the swap), the L61 is a better pick. Like I have stated before with the stock MT2 fiero transmission, I got 47mpg with it and I believe with less than $300 bucks in modifications it can run low 15s in the quarter mile, maybe even high 14s if massaged enough, which is quite quicker than a v6 fiero.

About the L61 heads on the LE5... I guess that means that the setup would need custom cams to work well? I don't think the cams can be swapped between the heads.
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2011 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MadDanceSkillz:

As you know, I will be interested in one of these setups at some point, and with the way gas prices are going up I bet you'll sell more of these than people will sell SBC kits.

I've said it before, and I truly believe, that the Ecotec is the next SBC. Not that GM won't make some other motor in the future, but I believe that in 15 years or so, people will be driving their Fiero's around with new motors, and this may be the way to go. Not everyone wants to run the 1/4 mile in 10 seconds. Not everyone needs to go 150mph. Some people just want to get in the car, start it up, and drive 300 miles without any issues. And getting 30+ mpg at the same time is a bonus.

Rob
benjamin.long

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2011 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for benjamin.longClick Here to visit benjamin.long's HomePageSend a Private Message to benjamin.longDirect Link to This Post

[B] Not everyone wants to run the 1/4 mile in 10 seconds.

Rob

I'll settle for 12's
Fosgatecavy98

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2011 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post
I had someone else ask me about that specific vvt setup for the mazda, this is what I was told.

The vvtuner was designed for the Mazda Miata vvt which is a oil pressure type system as well. How the Mazda system works on the intake cam is the only vvt setup. On the intake cam sits the Variable Timing Actuator. It is a simple vane style unit. The housing of the unit is fixed to the pulley and the vane is fixed to the cam. The unit is sealed to protect it and maintains its precision. Right behind the actuator is the OCV, Oil Control Valve. This is nothing more than an electrically controlled oil spool valve. The only thing i have gotten from diyautotune from their support system is that it isn't approved. I am having trouble finding any details about any of it.
benjamin.long

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2011 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for benjamin.longClick Here to visit benjamin.long's HomePageSend a Private Message to benjamin.longDirect Link to This Post
I'm buying a low mileage 2.2 head off of craigslist tomorrow. It just kind of fell in my lap I guess.
So I guess I'll be looking for a donor with a 2.4 and F23 trans then.
Fosgatecavy98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2011 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by benjamin.long:

I'm buying a low mileage 2.2 head off of craigslist tomorrow. It just kind of fell in my lap I guess.
So I guess I'll be looking for a donor with a 2.4 and F23 trans then.

Sounds good, you can run the L61 head on the LE5, just don't expect very much power from it.
benjamin.long

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2011 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for benjamin.longClick Here to visit benjamin.long's HomePageSend a Private Message to benjamin.longDirect Link to This Post

Sounds good, you can run the L61 head on the LE5, just don't expect very much power from it.

Doesn't it just need a set of cams to wake it up? Or is there something else I'm missing?
Fosgatecavy98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2011 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by benjamin.long:

Doesn't it just need a set of cams to wake it up? Or is there something else I'm missing?

Nope just cams, obviously porting does a lot as well, for maximum power a LSJ to a LE5 would be the best setup. The L61 2.2 cams are very very mild from the factory, going to the larger bore/stroke of the LE5 makes them even more mild. More duration is what is needed for the LE5
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2011 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
Fosgate you and me are going to be doing business on one of these in a couple months....
Fosgatecavy98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2011 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

Fosgate you and me are going to be doing business on one of these in a couple months....

Well get your ass in gear bud!
PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2011 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Well get your ass in gear bud!

lol i know... i'm gona have to find an ecotech without canalizing my solstice
Fosgatecavy98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2011 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post
Come on guys, I'd like to see someone with one of the new kits

I am still looking for my pictures, too many harddrives, flashdrives, memory cards, computers!
Fosgatecavy98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2011 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post
Here are a few more products that I am looking at coming up with in the next few weeks and the estimated cost

Adapter/Spacer to connect the Ecotec to the standard GM FWD bellhousing to use with the Fiero transmissions..... ~$400
.PDF E-book on Ecotec Swap: Choices, How-To, Part Sources, Management Choices, Transmissions, etc. ~$15
Gen 2 Direct Ignition Control Plugs (used for the newer Ecotec ignitions) ~$15
External 7x Front Crank Trigger Wheel ~$100

I have a few more ideas well, these are just a few that are leading the group in "development"

Another option I could come up with is a 6-puck Ceramic Clutch setup would work with the fiero trans/ecotec combo, no cheap autostore stuff.
edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2012 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroDirect Link to This Post
Bumping an old thread.
Looking for a soup to nuts kit which will provide plug and play installation of an Ecotec into an 84 SE. Can someone shoot me a link?
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2012 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post
I'd like to swap a LNF (like the one in my Sky Turbo) into me Fiero, or even my 94 S10 should it ever bite the bullet. I hope somebody gets it figured out by then.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2012 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
You can already buy stand alone Ecotec harnesses that use the original PCM and control all features on the engine. I won't hijack the post and state the source but they are based in California.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2012 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbDirect Link to This Post
what is a 2004 ecotec powered cavalier/sunbird worth these days ? that gives you everything you need .i keep saying , it is not that hard .the problem with most people that work on fieros is that if they cant buy a ready made part or kit , they just give up and say it is impossible .use your imagination and learn how to fab things .no wonder we are getting taken over by the chinese .and fosgatecavvy makes a good product that is proven to work quite well .
edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2013 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroDirect Link to This Post
wftb, its not 'giving up' or saying its impossible. Its called, working 45+hours every week and having 3 kids. The hours to work on my car are limited. I can turn a wrench and swap some parts, but I don't have time to figure out how to fab up wire harness or engine mounts. That is why I am looking for a kit. V8 Archie managed to come up with a kit to do a V8 swap. I was hoping someone had done the same for the EcoTec.

wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2013 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbDirect Link to This Post
Roger Thelin makes a kit that gives you engine and tranny mounts and a shifter adapter kit .he uses a method that changes out the front cradle cross member for his own design cross member so some people make their own for that side .the shifter kit is a nice set , but you do have to get one longer cable .Roger's web site is called "Thelin sells" .not much detail but give him a call , very informative .stock fiero manual tranny axles fit right in to the F23 .as for wiring , this thread is about megasquirt control so that is available .i used the wiring harness ,ECM , BCM ,fuel pump and wiring and instrument pod from a 2004 cavalier .disabled the VATS with HP tuners .the ecotec swap is the same as most swaps that are done on this forum - all the stuff is available , but unfortunately not from one source .the next ecotec swap i do (if and when i buy my old 85 2m4 back from my friend Al ) will be based on an early cobalt .and this time i am not going to cut down the wiring harness .i cut so many things off the harness that i wish i had kept . i tell people that are short on time but determined to do their own swap to go with a 3800 sc .it has the most support as far as ready made parts go .for various reasons , i like the ecotec better .to each their own .
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock