Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Want to Ecotec Your Fiero? Look here... (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
Want to Ecotec Your Fiero? Look here... by Fosgatecavy98
Started on: 02-02-2009 05:09 PM
Replies: 179
Last post by: wftb on 01-02-2013 05:47 PM
kevin

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2009 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinDirect Link to This Post
Fosgate,
As you get closer to a final product, and any dirivative, we are just as excited to see all the details. Is there a picture, perhaps, that one can see all items you listed, above, with a price? We are waiting.....

Cordially,
Kevin

[This message has been edited by kevin (edited 02-09-2009).]

IP: Logged
Fosgatecavy98

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2009 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post
Well because most of the stuff I have to order day-of receiving your guys' orders I dont most of the goodies.... BUT Id be more than happy to post up some detailed pictures of my setup which will be close to the setups I am doing for you guys, just the ignition is slightly different. I will post them up by the end of the day.
Fosgatecavy98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2009 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post
Well I go and all ready to take pictures and go figure the camera dies. I got one picture, but I will get some better ones after 5pm tomorrow for you guys.

Sorry for the delay, Ive been working with an assortment of suppliers for various parts and services on this, along with other personal issues. But dont worry nothing is going to stop me (unless I croak or something like that...)

In this picture you can kind of see the wiring and what is involved. I used red and blue wire loom to help identify circuits, completely preference tho, and can obviously be black if you prefer.

I also use only 3 grounding areas, all easy to get too. The ICM/MS unit are the only ones that need to be grounded at the same location, I like seeing all the grounding points as soon as I open the decklid, as if I am having an issue I can easily tell if it is a grounding issue.

Any other questions please post!
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2009 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroDirect Link to This Post
I'm also interested. I would mainly want the things that I cannot get myself.....harness, mounts, etc. I do have a question though......I am assuming that the Ecotec will be mated to the 5-speed tranny that comes with that engine. What do you do for axles? Stock Fiero? I'm not clear on that.

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2009 02:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfiero:

I'm also interested. I would mainly want the things that I cannot get myself.....harness, mounts, etc. I do have a question though......I am assuming that the Ecotec will be mated to the 5-speed tranny that comes with that engine. What do you do for axles? Stock Fiero? I'm not clear on that.

A hybrid. According to C350 (sorry, forgot the exact screenname) the Ecotec axles fit into the Fiero hubs. Look up "LSJ Ecotec engine swap" It's towards the beginning of that built thread.
Macs86GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2009 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTDirect Link to This Post
Definitely lookin promising. Do you have any more pics of the engine installed? or the parts. Just curiosity.
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2009 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbDirect Link to This Post
if you are using the cavalier ecotec 5 speed that comes with the 2.2L (F23 getrag) , the fiero manual tranny axles fit perfectly .if you are using the F35 tranny from the 2.0L super or turbo charged motors , then you need to use the axles from a cobalt ss superchaged model .an F35 5 speed has a three piece axle system and the fiero axles dont fit in to the F35 .the cobalt axles fit in to the fiero hubs though and are close enough in length to work well .the cavalier auto tranny/2.2L axles do not fit according to member Rodo who has a running automatic car (a beautiful car) .he said he just hunted through a pile at a wreckers until he found a set that worked .there was no ID on them so he does not know what they are out of . keep at it fosgate , wiring like this along with Roger Thelins clutch and tranny linkage adapters would make things cheaper and easier .bare 2.2's with the wiring stripped off can be had for 350.00 at most ontario wreckers
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2009 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
Here is the thread showing the axles fit right in: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/082860.html

Fosgatecavy98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2009 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post
Thanks for posting the axle stuff up guys.

Later on, I hope to have a kit so if people want to use the fiero transmissions they can. This is what I have done on my personal ecotecfiero, but it takes a bit of machining, and Id like to get the ECM stuff rock-solid first before getting that. I have 2, lets say, independent contractors that will be assisting me with setting them up, allowing me to do some R&D on parts I've wanted to do, but haven't had time.

It looks like I finally have a supplier for the majority of the stuff. I talked with him for an hour today. And am waiting for him to fax my pricing stuff for me So hopefully I will have it set tomorrow, feb 11th.
Macs86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2009 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTDirect Link to This Post
Take your time getting it all together, find the best prices, and do what you need to do to make it a quality kit.
Fosgatecavy98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2009 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post
Everything is pretty much set now, I am now working on a few different packages for everything.

I will have a more formal post on the link I have on my first post, I will notify everyone when I do.

Base package will run right around $500, this will include your harness, prepped for an Ecotec, with the wires setup in groups cut to length (within a few inches to allow for different areas of mounting things.) and a MS unit that has pre-installed maps to help get you going. They will still NEED to be tuned for your engine tho . And with all the wiring diagrams and information on the parts that is still needed. This is for someone who is not afraid to get there hands dirty going to a junkyard, doing a bit more wiring/soldering and has some knowledge of relays, electricity, and well if your doing an engine swap you probably can do this lol.

I will have a more formal post on the link I have on my first post. Along with a few options that go with the basic package. These are a few of the options I am working on:

Ignition Package (will include performance oriented stuff). This will include everything that deals with ignition, spark plugs to the wires going to Megasquirt.

Tuning Package Will include a Wideband 02, (possibly a gauge if I can get cheap enough prices on them) a external knock sensor. Larger Injectors, which are 32lb. injectors and are from the Supercharged Engine.

Wiring Package Complete wiring, kind of a 'catch-all.' It will include extra sensors, vaccum lines, connectors and wiring for some of the misc. things, that come up with the swap.

Now most of this comes from putting 2 different ecotecs into my fiero. Some of you will be doing it different than how I have, so there will be some variances and little things that might not be exactly as mine, which is completely OK. I can work with you on it!

If there is anyone interested right now please PM me, the first 2 people that are looking to purchase now I will give a small discount to them, as they are kind of the guinea pigs I am only doing 2 right now to help keep everything inline and on schedule. They will be the first ones to get the final price and at that time they can choose to buy or I can move on the list. I expect about 3 weeks from time of payment to the day I ship, this is only to make sure everything is exactly how I want it.

PFF
System Bot
Fosgatecavy98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2009 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post
Dont everyone post at once now lol.
Macs86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2009 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTDirect Link to This Post
Lol, i am still interested, im just not going to be doing the swap or at least gathering the parts till mid spring/summer when i have the car painted and interior cleaned up. Are motor/ trans mounts included or do i need to fab ones for the swap?
Fosgatecavy98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2009 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Macs86GT:

Lol, i am still interested, im just not going to be doing the swap or at least gathering the parts till mid spring/summer when i have the car painted and interior cleaned up. Are motor/ trans mounts included or do i need to fab ones for the swap?

I dont have mounts designed yet, need some more 'resources' to start on those.

:::cricket sounds:::
Fosgatecavy98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2009 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post
I guess my last post didnt go thru....

Here is a pic of my laptop running a tuning program for it...

No where else are you gonna find a spark advanced gauge! lol
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2009 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fosgatecavy98:

Thanks for posting the axle stuff up guys.

Later on, I hope to have a kit so if people want to use the fiero transmissions they can. This is what I have done on my personal ecotecfiero, but it takes a bit of machining, and Id like to get the ECM stuff rock-solid first before getting that. I have 2, lets say, independent contractors that will be assisting me with setting them up, allowing me to do some R&D on parts I've wanted to do, but haven't had time.

It looks like I finally have a supplier for the majority of the stuff. I talked with him for an hour today. And am waiting for him to fax my pricing stuff for me So hopefully I will have it set tomorrow, feb 11th.

I would prefer if you would offer a kit to use the Ecotec trannies as well. I would like to be able to use the F-35, or F-40 tranny that comes standard with many of the Ecotec's I drool over. Not to mention, this would help keep the car Calif. SMOG legal.

By kit I'm thinking: Tranny mounts, some adapters for the clutch, some adapters for the shift linkage (engine side), some adapters/replacement for the shift linkage cabin side, everything that's needed to make this work.

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2009 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

Austrian Import

3919 posts
Member since Feb 2007
Side question: *gets the creative mind rolling*

What kind of processing power does that program need? Does it need to run Windows? Are the gauges real time?

*Is thinking of turning a cheap laptop, or eeePC into a "dashboard" with a matte overlay (to enable daylight readability) for custom gauges and pop-up information (i.e. gauge doesn't appear until it's near a set parameter (i.e.: near critical levels) )

Fosgatecavy98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2009 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post
Austrian Import,

Id really like to have all the 'mechanics' of the swap set and stuff. I've just got a full plate right now, but down the road its very feasible to expect me to be producing mounts/linkage/etc. to complete the swap.

The program I have up on there runs real time and isn't too resource consuming, only problem is you have to click something within the program after it boots to get it to show the gauges, working on that tho

Fosgatecavy98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2009 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post

Fosgatecavy98

2969 posts
Member since Jul 2005
Would anyone be interested in this:

I can install my wiring package/ecm into this fiero I may be getting..

1984, 119k miles, sunroof, manual, i believe paint/interior is good. I would pull the motor/trans (leave axles), so basically all you would need is an ecotec/trans combo and your wiring would be there ready for you!

Anyone interested in something like that?
madbrad01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2009 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madbrad01Send a Private Message to madbrad01Direct Link to This Post
I Like the idea of the ecotec in the fiero,But i'd would want a one stop shop for my next swap.
ccfiero350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2009 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ccfiero350Send a Private Message to ccfiero350Direct Link to This Post
With the welding envolved with the sub-frame, what do you think about a sub-frame exchange with a deposit?

------------------
yellow 88 GT, not stock
white 88 notchie, 4 banger

PFF
System Bot
Fosgatecavy98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2009 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by ccfiero350:

With the welding envolved with the sub-frame, what do you think about a sub-frame exchange with a deposit?

You could get away with just notching a portion of it, its only a small area that hits the pan of the ecotec. I cut away alot more than needed and just welded a right angle bar acrossed it just incase. But I also have nothing on that part of the cradle besides the transmission mount on the other side, the stock bar just now keeps everything straight for the most part.
Fosgatecavy98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2009 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post
Vrrooom goes the thread to the top!
Fosgatecavy98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2009 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post
nudge!
Edaw 0

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2009 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Edaw 0Send a Private Message to Edaw 0Direct Link to This Post
Kinda late to the party, I'm interested. I have a motor/trans mounts and cradle modified by Mr. Thelin and I'm planning on hunting down a 2.2 and 5 speed this spring. Problem is I've since transfed to a different post and the garage I have now is tiny and post housing isn't too whoop de doo about stuff being worked on in the driveway, so the more plug and play for me the better.
sadie goad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2009 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sadie goadSend a Private Message to sadie goadDirect Link to This Post
I am definitely interested. I favorited this thread and will definitely keep an eye on it!

I'm going to be purchasing a 2.2 eco, and hopefully the 5 speed that goes along with it. It's what I have in my Sunfire and I just love the setup. I'm not entirely certain which of your packages I would want, I need to get a hold of my dad and ask him how much time he wants to spend on the wiring before I let you know :P

Thank you for getting this together!

------------------

I'm a poor college student because I modify my cars!

Fosgatecavy98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2009 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post
Sorry about the delay,

threads seem to move quick on here, and I missed it. I believe I got back to both of you. Let me know if you have any more questions
Macs86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2009 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTDirect Link to This Post
edaw where di you get the mounts for the ecotec? thats the one thing keeping me from going froward wioth getting an ecotec.
Edaw 0

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2009 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Edaw 0Send a Private Message to Edaw 0Direct Link to This Post
Got 'em from Roger Thelin, give him a call, great guy. I went by his place and picked the stuff up, big help snagging that extra cradle he had, not sure how much shipping would run you.
Macs86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2009 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTDirect Link to This Post
Thanks man, i just lack the tools to fab up stuff like that. how was the install of the mounts, is there alot of welding or do they bolt to the stock locations. This would be a get the parts then more parts kind of swap till i have all of the stuff necessary. I do want to get another cradle so i don't have to take the car offline until its all ready to go in.

[This message has been edited by Macs86GT (edited 02-21-2009).]

Fosgatecavy98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2009 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Macs86GT:

Thanks man, i just lack the tools to fab up stuff like that. how was the install of the mounts, is there alot of welding or do they bolt to the stock locations. This would be a get the parts then more parts kind of swap till i have all of the stuff necessary. I do want to get another cradle so i don't have to take the car offline until its all ready to go in.

If that doesnt work out for you, I can make your mounts if you would like.
PFF
System Bot
Macs86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2009 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Fosgatecavy98, I'm looking into getting things moving, It will be my first swap attempt so I'm trying get all the info and parts i need. Hopefully this inst insainely over complicated, or maybe i should leave it to someone who has the tools and proper shop.

[This message has been edited by Macs86GT (edited 02-22-2009).]

Fosgatecavy98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2009 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post
Well while I work with a few of you. Im taking some time to look into making motor mounts for the swap as well.
Fosgatecavy98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2009 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post
Bump for the new guys
Fosgatecavy98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2009 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post
Also,

I can have your setup to run on E85 as well. It cannot however be a typical 'flexfuel' as GM charges 2 fingers and a toe for the flexfuel sensor. But if your really close to empty (ie less than a gallon) you can switch between the 2 if you fill up.

Mine will be running full time on E85 this year, I have it RUNNING at this point on it, just needs to be tuned.
Fosgatecavy98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2009 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post
Bump for the interested!
pHoOl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2009 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlDirect Link to This Post
Fosgate,

I don't know when I'd have the money to do it, but I've thought a turboed 2.2 swap would be awesome

what's the weight savings like going 2.8 stock to the 2.2? weight balance?
oddballracing

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2009 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for oddballracingClick Here to visit oddballracing's HomePageSend a Private Message to oddballracingDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fosgatecavy98:

Bump for the interested!

I am the original owner of an 1984 Fiero SE. It has been sitting quite sadly in my brothers back yard for the last 10yrs waiting for

A) someone to perfect the EcoTec swap
B) me to restore it.

It is an automatic and I would like to keep it this way as I hope to one day fully restore it, motor and all. What are my options for an EcoTec swap with my stock auto tranny? I'm VERY interested in this but want to be as unintrusive as possible with my baby!

Thanks!

Karl

------------------
Project Mazda TT (Turbo Truck)

Fosgatecavy98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2009 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post
I would estimate the weight of my 85 Sports Coupe with the isuzi 5 speed to be around 2550. It will be weighed asap once its registered and insured this year tho.

oddballracing,

I believe I could do a STOCK auto, but idk if you would like it with the ecotec, I never liked 3 speeds, but would be simple to do, and just a typical setup for the electronics. You can PM or Email me at DICE033@aol.com if you would like to go into more details.
Fosgatecavy98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2009 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post
Here are 2 vids of the Ecotec Hybrid,

LE5/L61 + E85. Its completely untuned for E85 as you can tell.

http://s275.photobucket.com...current=SMOV0058.flv

http://s275.photobucket.com...current=SMOV0057.flv

For the first base tune it runs remarkably well, E85 is turning out to be amazing.

Hopefully this will inspire a few of you!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock