Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Choptops, widebodies, and wings ? (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 10 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10 
Previous Page | Next Page
Choptops, widebodies, and wings ? by exoticse
Started on: 03-27-2005 06:11 PM
Replies: 396
Last post by: Australian on 09-12-2012 07:22 AM
exoticse

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2005 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post
Need some input on this one.

After seeing curly's silver chop top, i knew i had to have one. The problem is now that he has begun work on #15 i like aspects of that one too.

My dilemma is that i love wings, and the silver chop tops wing on the 5" wing stands, moved back to the edge of the decklid, and with the wing tips extended 2" at an angle is perfect in my opinion for the fiero.

(I already have the custom 5" wing stands made by sage)

What i like about Madcurl's choptop #15 is the semi-widebody effect he created by adding a front fender to the rear fender area:

What i would like to do is combine the two, the widebody and the wing, question is though is it going to look right ? If push comes to shove the fender flaring would likely lose out.

Here are some cars that i think have a wider rear and spoiler

First the Lotus sport exige

Rear shot

Also a ferrari modena 360

Basically do u think the wing is going to look right on a widebody ?

I have also thought about widening the fiero wing (side to side/tip to tip) by cutting it in half and adding material or using an aftermarket wing,... but i would prefer to stay with the factory wing.

Thanks for the input.

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 03-27-2005).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2005 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Well here is my opinion...

What I didn't realize when I raised my wing and moved it back is that it essentially becomes wider because the car is narrower at the back. I would suggeest leaving the wing at stock width after you raise it and you will get the wide effect to match the wide body look.

If it's not enough then I would split the wing in the middle and make it a bit wider. Or you can do like Curley and have multiple cars and not try to do every mod on the same car.

datacop

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2005 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for datacopClick Here to visit datacop's HomePageSend a Private Message to datacopDirect Link to This Post
hack the wing and go for it!

have to remember though, the wing on the silver choptop looks so good, in part because he had the tips extended out a little bit /nod

yosemitefieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2005 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yosemitefierosSend a Private Message to yosemitefierosDirect Link to This Post
Absolutely put a wide wing on a wide body. Functionally, it is more efficient, and it has an all business/supercar look to it.

Gary

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2005 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Well here is my opinion...

What I didn't realize when I raised my wing and moved it back is that it essentially becomes wider because the car is narrower at the back. I would suggeest leaving the wing at stock width after you raise it and you will get the wide effect to match the wide body look.

If it's not enough then I would split the wing in the middle and make it a bit wider. Or you can do like Curley and have multiple cars and not try to do every mod on the same car.

IMO I would follow JScott's thoughts. Pontiac really in the begining went "all-out" in creating a really non-after market looking wing for the Fiero. making it wider or longer from end-to-end would be a little over kill. Why? If you add material to one part, you may have to or will need to add material at the end tips to balance the look of the wing. That's extra weight which in turn may lead to breakage or saging in the middle?

The Silver choptop isn't truly balanced in the rear IMO. The rear end needs a minor rear front fender flaring. Maybe not as extreme as #15 but just a little less like the Redux. One of the truely "good" ideas about adding the front fender to the back is that you can limit the flaring as little as 1" to 6" if needed. I'm starting to think GM had this in mind when creating the front fender. It is just to easy for "this" to be added by accident? For those with extra fenders laying around.....go to your fiero and see for yourself. I'm truly shocked!

------------------

Archie's Choptop conversion #11, #15, & Redux

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2005 02:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

I am thinking with the extended wing tips and pushed back to the edge of the decklid it may look ok with the fender flares.

What i may do in order to get a better perspective is bring my wing and stands with me when i meet up with Madcurl when he comes to pick up #15.

Curly do u mind if i hold it in position and you snap a couple pictures or vise versa ?

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2005 02:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
No problem. No doubt you will be pleased even with #15 extreme fender flaring and that the stock wing with tips is just right. However, it will be hard visualizing it w/o the wing extentions or tips.

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2005 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

No problem. No doubt you will be pleased even with #15 extreme fender flaring and that the stock wing with tips is just right. However, it will be hard visualizing it w/o the wing extentions or tips.

I could always whip up some cardboard wing tip mockups to simulate the extensions.

Black-Azz-GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2005 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Black-Azz-GTSend a Private Message to Black-Azz-GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

Damn that is just great looking! Very impressive madcurl!

------------------
-Chris -
Custom Gun Metal 86 GT 4.9 V8 5spd

Build up tread or MODS w/ Pics

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2005 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
yeah is latest flared rear is bad azz
just down right beautiful lines
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2005 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

My dilemma is that i love wings, and the silver chop tops wing on the 5" wing stands, moved back to the edge of the decklid, and with the wing tips extended 2" at an angle is perfect in my opinion for the fiero.

Hmmm.....so many mods with only one car? Tony, just like JScott suggested, you can always get two cars and do both?

PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2005 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Tony, just like JScott suggested, you can always get two cars and do both?

So true, I love chop tops and I love T-tops , so I have both. Now if you could incorporate both those mods in the same Car...

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 04-01-2005).]

shawnkfl

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2005 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shawnkflSend a Private Message to shawnkflDirect Link to This Post
i was up close and personal with madcurls car this week. those pics don't do it justice. it's simply amazing to me what he's done to that thing. little things even. look at how the door handles are. they're not shaved, they're there. hidden. it's awesome. i hope he's going to shave the antennae hole out though. i'm sure the front isn't finished yet anyway.
Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2005 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

So true, I love chop tops and I love T-tops , so I have both. Now if you could incorporate both those mods in the same Car...

same with me. i might be able to come up with a decent fiero if i concentrated on one, but it's not as interesting to me as playing with several. it may take longer (if i accomplish it at all), but i'll have a somewhat affordable custom "stable" when i'm done.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2005 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by shawnkfl:

i was up close and personal with madcurls car this week. those pics don't do it justice. it's simply amazing to me what he's done to that thing. little things even. look at how the door handles are. they're not shaved, they're there. hidden. it's awesome. i hope he's going to shave the antennae hole out though. i'm sure the front isn't finished yet anyway.

Why did I not shave the handles? Using the VDC kit, you'll need a something to raise the door. From what I have seen with those who have the VDC kit with shaved handles is, "there is no place to actually place your hand." Since my car caused minor bumps on members foreheads at Daytona.....it might be best to take it slow while getting in and out of the car. Having shaved handles might cause someones fingers snapping off while closing the door, hehehe.

Oh yeah, the front end isn't finished yet. I don't really need the antenna because, I have XM.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 04-02-2005).]

MDFierolvr

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2005 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MDFierolvrSend a Private Message to MDFierolvrDirect Link to This Post

That is so crazy good looking. It looks stock, but aftermarket. I just can't really explain it. Now I want to see the fiero come back just so you could be on the design team

Master Tuner Akimoto

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 271
User Banned

Report this Post04-02-2005 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Master Tuner AkimotoClick Here to visit Master Tuner Akimoto's HomePageSend a Private Message to Master Tuner AkimotoDirect Link to This Post
Curly I have the wide body kit installed on my car only the gas door is left to be done (props to you for your vision) I went to check out some rims on Thursday but had difficulty finding a wide rim with a 5x 100 pattern,I want to use a 305/315 x45x19 for the rears what size are you using space is not an issue as I have coilovers?.
87FieroGTx

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2005 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroGTxClick Here to visit 87FieroGTx's HomePageSend a Private Message to 87FieroGTxDirect Link to This Post
No wing at all...

------------------

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2005 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Master Tuner Akimoto:

Curly I have the wide body kit installed on my car only the gas door is left to be done (props to you for your vision) I went to check out some rims on Thursday but had difficulty finding a wide rim with a 5x 100 pattern,I want to use a 305/315 x45x19 for the rears what size are you using space is not an issue as I have coilovers?.

305/25/20 = a 26.3 diameter. My other set is 345/25/20 @ 26.6

5x100 issue's? Yes, a wide rim for a 5x100 is going to be hard, especially anything over 9". Try the FOOSE's.

Philphine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
has anyone happened to eyeball this wide body idea on a coupe? i don't have any extra front fenders and am wondering if it flows as well.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Philphine:

has anyone happened to eyeball this wide body idea on a coupe? i don't have any extra front fenders and am wondering if it flows as well.

A notchback with a front-to-rear fender should look slick and would be a welcome change! So far, no one has gone outside with a front fender to see? I would but, I don't have any notchbacks. I think the Stinger would look nice with it?

PFF
System Bot
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
ehh.. I can hold one up to my white car... Don't know if the pic will give any 'correct' idea of how it would look though...

------------------

--1986 SE V6, Wild Custom Notchback --For Sale Click Me!
--1984 SE Modified Notchback

THE BEAST

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for THE BEASTSend a Private Message to THE BEASTDirect Link to This Post
I'm all about Wide-body cars; I think that’s just about the only way to make a car look meaner, faster and attractive. (In my book at least)

I saw Madcurl's car at the Daytona show. BTW Madcurl is a very nice guy he took the time to show me his car before the banquet started and give me a mini tour of what he had done and how he approach the different difficulties on the making.

I also talk to norms fiberglass and he is in the making of a rear clip that will incorporate a Wide-body looks to it, along with an F40 Ferrari gate opening style. (This will probably take few months before it makes any appearances)

The ideal way for widening the Fiero will be to install the GT racing Fiero kit (like the one at the Daytona show). But those are not made anymore, I know that Pisa or some other place sales some kind of wide-body kit, but I don't like way they make the wheel openings so small it changes the looks of the car way too much. (Not attractive).

That is why I like Madcurl's idea, since it doesn't require the purchase of a kit, and this actually allows a lot more freedom on what you want your final product to look like!

THUMBS UP! for Madcurl's idea!

BTW Exoticse with the wing looks just as good as if without it. (You can't go wrong is a Wide-body thing!)

Take care!
JG.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

ehh.. I can hold one up to my white car... Don't know if the pic will give any 'correct' idea of how it would look though...

ahhhh......it will be close enough.

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Well I forgot my cam at a friends house, these PHONE pics will have to do for now...

I couldn't figure out how the heck you got it to line up so well???

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post

Jncomutt

8899 posts
Member since Apr 2001
Well I just noticed how low you had yours placed (in relation to the fuel door).. I tried that initially, but it stuck out way to far since the bottom front section of the fender needs to be below the 'belt' line. With the Archie scoops, it pushes the fender like 8" away from the body.. Heres what I could do..

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post

Jncomutt

8899 posts
Member since Apr 2001
Took a few more, This time with it mounted lower like madcurl...

[This message has been edited by Jncomutt (edited 04-04-2005).]

Philphine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
thanks much. one thing i thought could be a problem might work out for me since mine has a bit of wierdness to it. i still need to pick amoung my wheels and try to see if what i choose sticks out to really need it, but if that happens this looks like good option, and will give me some variety bettween cars since two of them have irms and another has an irm copy.

another question. seems like all the threads are sharing the same couple of pics. are there more anywhere else? some web site or something?

Master Tuner Akimoto

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 271
User Banned

Report this Post04-04-2005 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Master Tuner AkimotoClick Here to visit Master Tuner Akimoto's HomePageSend a Private Message to Master Tuner AkimotoDirect Link to This Post
The only hard part I had about this mod is getting the fuel door aligned and mounted and working it takes a little tweaking to have it right mine came out alright after a cutting and modifying the inner fender panel.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
I think this is better vs. the GT FB look. Since part of the rear appears too "stick-out".... that make the modification simple. Why? on the FB, this modification only reaches part way or 3-4" shy of reaching the end where the rear GT tail-light begain.

Also, it looks rather "crude' due to the extra area where the bolts are attached. Once the bolt openings or edge are removed it should give you a better look.

example of "removed" lip or bolted area:

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 04-04-2005).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2005 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

I couldn't figure out how the heck you got it to line up so well???

Any progress?

PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2005 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Master Tuner Akimoto:

Curly I have the wide body kit installed on my car only the gas door is left to be done .

Got any progress pics to share? Thanks.

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2005 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

How about if some of you Photoshop experts, photoshop a widebody onto teh silver chop top for me to give me a better idea. Thanks ahead of time.

Go for it !

Pluses for all who give it a try.

ryan.hess

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2005 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
Since I don't have anything better to do... well... besides hours of work that's due monday (heh)

How's that?

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2005 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Cool a + for you. Anyone else care to try ??

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2005 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Any updates on this:

Thanks.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2005 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003
Do to the angle this pic might be better to alter or widen with photoshop skills? Plus it's a nice rear pic.

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2005 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post
Is it me or does that just look like it was cut off and screwed on..??

------------------

Choptytopped WideBody GT 1 of 1
4.9L-V8-Auto---almost finished

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2005 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by NotAFieroAnyLonger:

Is it me or does that just look like it was cut off and screwed on..??

Well if you look at my buildup thread you will see that I cut off the bottom of a GT "like" rear fascia, flipped it upside down and screwed it on. There is a little bit more to it than that though. It has to be trimmed such that the sides are level, and I have support brackets in the center to hold it up. I can adjust the angle that it makes and I'm still deciding which angle looks better. And of course I will eventually smoooooth it in.

RACE

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2005 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RACEClick Here to visit RACE's HomePageSend a Private Message to RACEDirect Link to This Post

This thing is animalistic and predatory. I can't wait to see it finished.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 10 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock