Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Choptops, widebodies, and wings ? (Page 4)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 10 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10 
Previous Page | Next Page
Choptops, widebodies, and wings ? by exoticse
Started on: 03-27-2005 06:11 PM
Replies: 396
Last post by: Australian on 09-12-2012 07:22 AM
Will-Martin

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2006 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Will-MartinClick Here to visit Will-Martin's HomePageSend a Private Message to Will-MartinDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

<awesome axes>

Man JScott, that is one nice comparison. I love both of your cars!
IP: Logged
engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2006 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
My car is not done as you can see but it has a 3 inch chop archies rockers 8 inch wingstand are on there way spacecoastfieros tail lights front spoiler pisa quater window scoops i am not sure what color to paint it but i think red , yellow or black metalic
exoticse

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2006 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Color me next !

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2006 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Yeah, both cars could pass as "Twins."

Phil86SE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2006 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Phil86SESend a Private Message to Phil86SEDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by engine man:

My car is not done as you can see but it has a 3 inch chop archies rockers 8 inch wingstand are on there way spacecoastfieros tail lights front spoiler pisa quater window scoops i am not sure what color to paint it but i think red , yellow or black metalic

i vote electric green

- Phil
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2006 02:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

A few ideas.

What do you think of this hood scoop ? Not sure i like it, but it is different.

It is sort of similair to this one.

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2006 02:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

exoticse

8649 posts
Member since Jun 2003
More ponderings.

What if one incorporated a Carrera GT like widebody (side only) into one's chopper like so.

It might look similair to this.

It could be done, combining madcurl's widebody method using the Archie IRM rockers, rear fender flaring, and fieroGTwideboby's front quarter panel treatment.

Hmmmmmmmmm,......

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 05-19-2006).]

88White3.4GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2006 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88White3.4GTSend a Private Message to 88White3.4GTDirect Link to This Post
that would be different, and different in this case is GREAT! i'd do it

------------------

Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2006 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

More ponderings.

What if one incorporated a Carrera GT like widebody (side only) into one's chopper like so.
It might look similair to this.

It could be done, combining madcurl's widebody method using the Archie IRM rockers, rear fender flaring, and fieroGTwideboby's front quarter panel treatment.

Have you not been following my build? lol. Tony tony tony... Its been started and its in my garage. A long time ago. The rest of the body kit gets delivered in 2 days! WOOT!
dmancheno

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2006 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dmanchenoSend a Private Message to dmanchenoDirect Link to This Post
Still looks like a Fiero, which is the idea. Very nice. I love it. Now I wonder how would it look with these headlights frozen round popups.... and

Single wiper arm.

Bello!

[This message has been edited by dmancheno (edited 05-19-2006).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2006 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
[Continued] Borrowed pics from tech world

PFF
System Bot
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2006 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
well i see some pics of part of my car so i took a few more to show how it is coming

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2006 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

well i see some pics of part of my car so i took a few more to show how it is coming

What size rears are you going to use?

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2006 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
I am open to suggestions on color and wheels and tire's the flars added about 3 inches on each side so i am thinking like 305 in the back on a 17 inch wheel
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2006 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

I am open to suggestions on color and wheels and tire's the flars added about 3 inches on each side so i am thinking like 305 in the back on a 17 inch wheel

I added 3" per side and used 305's.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2006 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
305 it looks like then now what wheel and what color if some one could photshop some color on it with a few wheels that would be great

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 05-21-2006).]

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2006 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
well i havw decided to paint the car chrome yellow nice and bright so the cops will be able to pick me out LOL
Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2006 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Direct Link to This Post

Widebody eh.... Do I count? This would be my second. haha. Build up seen....

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/058546-4.html

There.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2006 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

** Custom Widebody 101 **

New edict from the widebody master himself (madcurl)

Rule A - If at all possible, get your wide wheels that you plan to put on the car first before you start adding the widebody.

Results in a cleaner and more accurate look as to where the body and the wheel will line up.

WIll save you a lot of headaches and redos.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2006 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Rule A - If at all possible, get your wide wheels that you plan to put on the car first before you start adding the widebody.

Results in a cleaner and more accurate look as to where the body and the wheel will line up.

Ya' can't get any better than this.

compare
Homebrew'd

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 06-25-2006).]

dmancheno

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2006 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dmanchenoSend a Private Message to dmanchenoDirect Link to This Post

Ok exoticse & MC...... please explain this. I'm getting ready to do my wide body using the front fenders (MC widebody technology ). Why Rims first then widebody and not after widebody just drive Fiero to "Wheels R' Us"? Did "FieroGTwideboby" follow this rule too? I have an '88 GT and trying to understand rim size and offset is not easy...

D

EDIT:
I can understand for HRE's which are custom made (which I have been looking into).

[This message has been edited by dmancheno (edited 06-24-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2006 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Direct Link to This Post
I think he was more or less talking about mine.. haha. Doing the widebody before the rims. But I'll get it to primer, get rims, and add spacers, or a little lip on the fenders. Not really a big deal if its going to be custom anyways.

Best of luck.
Chase.

------------------

MclarenF1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2006 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MclarenF1Click Here to visit MclarenF1's HomePageSend a Private Message to MclarenF1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:
Ya' can't get any better than this.

Smokin'

Please tell me there is gonna be some big brake action?

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2006 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dmancheno:

Ok exoticse & MC...... please explain this. I'm getting ready to do my wide body using the front fenders (MC widebody technology ). Why Rims first then widebody and not after widebody just drive Fiero to "Wheels R' Us"? Did "FieroGTwideboby" follow this rule too? I have an '88 GT and trying to understand rim size and offset is not easy...

D

EDIT:
I can understand for HRE's which are custom made (which I have been looking into).

Several reason why to go, "Rims first" and wide body last vs. Wide body first and "rim selection" last.

Uncharted territory----as in "rims." As for the Fiero's 5x100 bolt pattern------ that isn't the "best" pattern that major wheel companies make their selection from. The wheel companies are looking for the "cash cow" bolt patterns and 5x100 isn't a big slice of the pie. For homebrew fender flares (me included) or the "real deal" IRM wide body you'll need at least a 11-12" rim for the "full effect" and the selection of rims is mininum. What you'll find is most rims are offered in 20-35mm off-sets which are found on hot roddish rear wheel cars or modern American cars like Corvette's, Camero, Firebirds, and Mustangs using a different bolt pattern (positive off-sets) 5x120 something?.

If you've started a homebrew flarring or IRM wide body you may find yourself searching far and wide for a rim that fits or is "flush" with your custom fender flarring. If the rim is too far in.....it won't look good. If it's too far out...you'll need to add more flarring. Worst case...you'll find some rims offered but, the Wheel company "WILL NOT SEPARATE A COMPLETE SET" and you will either have to get someone to buy the other set and do a switch. If you go with a custom wheel company, you'll need to know what the specs are and just how much you want the rim to "stick-out" or stick-in. If you get the specs wrong.....the rims are your's.

Formula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2006 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaDirect Link to This Post
edit: wallpaper is not up anymore

[This message has been edited by Formula (edited 01-28-2007).]

troyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2006 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MclarenF1:

Smokin'

Please tell me there is gonna be some big brake action?

13" brakes are on the to-do list, still have a lot of work to do on the car. The chop, V8 swap, 6spd trans, custom imsa body, custom HRE's, all done but it's just the beginning.
FieroGTRwideboby

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2006 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTRwidebobyClick Here to visit FieroGTRwideboby's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTRwidebobyDirect Link to This Post
Things have gotten very interesting in this thread. I see many new developments and projects nearing the next step to completion. I wanted to comment and put forth my experience with the whole: which came first the rim or the widebody? Madcurl is right about the process and as I see it would ensure a correct and tight fit with the perfect stance. Another thing that having the rims would ensure is the correct width on both sides, you never know sometimes measurements get mis-measured. We unlike curly did not have the rims in place at the beginning or middle of the project, they were one of the last steps. I do have to admit that I know which rims I would use and how much space would have to be made up later. Maybe I'm too picky but I didn't want a set of rims that cost as much as most fieros do on the car with the styrofoam, bondo, drywall mud, fiberglass, resins, etc. I have to say it would have garnished the same result, with the likely hood of accidently damaging the wheels. You never know. The widebody can be done both ways, just matters how well you measure, and wether you are building a one-off or a one-off with molds. But like Madcurl said not many know or are very knowledgeable on the rim sizes/offsets so that’s were the rims would matter and should be on first. With our project we did not want to be limited by the size of our rims..hehe.. the body is 8 inches wider in the back and 4 in the front, I just wanted the room to sculpt freely.

Anyway I just wanted to express my opinion on the which came first the rim or the widebody? lol

Here is how it started:

Finally the rims are on.

After paint. The stance was complete with the adjustable coilovers.

[

Thanks and happy building!
Alex
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2006 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula:

Get your choptop wallpaper here...

http://www.motirol.com/wallpaper/wallpaper.jpg

(Ive been looking for one like this for awhile, but just broke down and made it myself) its 1280x800 so it will work with you widescreen people out there.

edit: if people want it at different resolutions then let me know, if you display it at center on anything less then 1280x800 it will look fine

COOL. How in the heck did I over look this??? I need to blow this pic up and place it inside the garage.

Thanks for making it.

curley

dmancheno

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2006 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dmanchenoSend a Private Message to dmanchenoDirect Link to This Post
Thx for the explination MC & FieroGTRwideboby. I will have a chat with Tony (exoticse), he did mention something to me, and your explination makes alot of sense.

Custom2M4 have not heard good things about adding spacers. Wheel bearings will wear and tear much faster.

[This message has been edited by dmancheno (edited 06-25-2006).]

Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2006 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by dmancheno:
Custom2M4 have not heard good things about adding spacers. Wheel bearings will wear and tear much faster.

depends on the size of spacers. 1-2 inch and it won't be as much wear on the bearings. Obviously more then normal, but not to a huge degree. My car will be a sunday driver so if I do spacers, the amount of money saved on not purchasing my 8200$ 20" custom rims / tires will be enough to cover any loss of bearings :P.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2006 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Custom2M4:

depends on the size of spacers. 1-2 inch and it won't be as much wear on the bearings. Obviously more then normal, but not to a huge degree. My car will be a sunday driver so if I do spacers, the amount of money saved on not purchasing my 8200$ 20" custom rims / tires will be enough to cover any loss of bearings :P.

Hmm. In 2005 at the Daytona show, a lady named Bydgita (mispelled) who owns a 87 grey GT had a set of rear spacer on her Fiero. Her boy friend no doubt place them on the car securely but, while she was on her way to Daytona, the darn wheel spacer nearly came. On their way back from the show things got worse. Keep in mind, her car is somewhat "custom" but isn't a trailer queen however, I was under the impression that it's not a daily driver. My point is....regardless of what the miles or how it's being used....we don't want to loose any of our Fieros and most importantly our friends over something like a spacer.
PFF
System Bot
Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2006 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
my lack of pic ablility hinders me again, but i have a combo sort of like this on one car that i like.

the hood vent is similar to this...

http://www.astonmartinracing.com/content/allsites/images/DBR9_03_96f35ddd-f953-461f-b1b2-5a85ff34ba14.jpg

i tell ya those aston martin guys are spying in my backyard. my hood looks almost exactly like the front row of vents on this hood.

the front facia is the open mouth chin spoiler combined with a gt facia like the blue bigmouth facia in the mods section of the gallery. the width of the hood vent is close to the width of the front facia opening. this old thread has a pic of it...

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000002/HTML/20030204-1-020947.html

i had them on two different cars but they go together so well that i swapped hoods to have them on the same car (the hood in the pic is now on my convertible).
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2006 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
Wow i think this is great every one building some sort of cool fiero short fat with a tall wing with a set of steam roller tires and every one has there own idea onhow fat how tall and how to get there and i think they all look great
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2006 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Alternative flarring for rockers?

Combination of a homebrew vent with Pisa rocker. Notice the difference

Before:

after:
pics of the modified Pisa side rockers as they were installed and smoothed in.

painted:

The adding of the Pisa rocker beef'd up the area near the tires. Pisa sold me just the area I needed.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 07-08-2006).]

Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2006 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Direct Link to This Post

Hmm. In 2005 at the Daytona show, a lady named Bydgita (mispelled) who owns a 87 grey GT had a set of rear spacer on her Fiero. Her boy friend no doubt place them on the car securely but, while she was on her way to Daytona, the darn wheel spacer nearly came. On their way back from the show things got worse. Keep in mind, her car is somewhat "custom" but isn't a trailer queen however, I was under the impression that it's not a daily driver. My point is....regardless of what the miles or how it's being used....we don't want to loose any of our Fieros and most importantly our friends over something like a spacer.

I can't see how a spacer would "give", causing any kind of trouble that a low offset rim wouldn't. I'm not critizing who ever put them on, but obviously this isn't the whole story...

Never the less, you can order custom control arms in any extention needed, if spacers aren't wanted.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2006 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
well i thought i would show you all how mine is going to look as far as the style i still need to do som finishing body work on it befor paint witch is screaming yellow the wheels arnt doing anything for it

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2006 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post

engine man

5298 posts
Member since Mar 2006
well i thought i would show you all how mine is going to look as far as the style i still need to do som finishing body work on it befor paint witch is screaming yellow the wheels arnt doing anything for it

fierogt3800

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2006 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt3800Click Here to visit fierogt3800's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierogt3800Direct Link to This Post
umm.... i guess this counts as a widebody.. right?

This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.

This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2006 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
It looks wide too me. What size rims are you going to use in the rears? Oh, I like the hood.
fierogt3800

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2006 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt3800Click Here to visit fierogt3800's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierogt3800Direct Link to This Post

It looks wide too me. What size rims are you going to use in the rears? Oh, I like the hood.

Well Pisa recomends zero offset 10 inch wide rims. But my inner "what if" is thinking that i can bring the offset in a little and hang 12"s back there. I want to have at least 315/35's back there. for the front i think im staying with the usual 35mm set. i hung one of my 40mm offset 18"s up there and its way too far in. these fenders are wider then factory. i think i can bring the wheels out a bit more if i want wider tires up front.

[This message has been edited by fierogt3800 (edited 07-15-2006).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 10 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock