Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  obscure factory features or options (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
obscure factory features or options by av8fiero
Started on: 03-11-2011 01:10 PM
Replies: 83
Last post by: pete 2m4 on 03-18-2011 09:17 PM
av8fiero

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroDirect Link to This Post
Is there a thread with as installed pics of rare unusual obscure features and options such as the 84 only floor vents, the 88 only rf shielding impregnated decklids, the 87 only single exhaust cut out coupe rear bumper cover, or the pre recall weather strips? What other obscure factory parts or rare options are out there? Do you have pics of these parts and pieces as they're installed on the car? If anyone has any pics of the features I described or any other strange fiero stuff let's see them

[I'm referring to the car and not accessories such as the fiero luggage, there are other threads for that]

------------------
BLACKKER 1988 CHOPTOP V8

Local club http://www.foxvalleyfieros.webs.com/
Facebook club page http://www.facebook.com/gro...?gid=141412865904993
N.I.F.E. member #461 Chris M http://www.fierofocus.com/

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
Power steering maybe somewhat rare.
av8fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroDirect Link to This Post
I'm talking actual production pieces, stuff that was released to the public. the EHPS system already has many threads about it
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
There was a thread about a rally pack or something in 86 models where the map pocket is, some owners have seen an unused connector wired in for it.

About the weatherstrip. As part of the recall it was removed, but owners either put it back or or requested that they did not remove it. Removing it was a really dumb idea, all it does is crack the manifold.
My 86 didn't have the recall done, so it had the weatherstrip and the pre-recall air intake snorkel.

The recall also used a different PCV routing, the factory one uses the large tube in the back that goes to the air canister, after the recall its no longer used but is kept there because the smaller tube its attached to is still being used.
The PCV is then routed to the new air intake snorkel.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 03-11-2011).]

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
-Performance sound system
-Stereo with push button volume controls
-leather shift knobs and steering wheels
-120MPH gauge cluster and aux gauges
-power mirrors
-fleece seats
-leather seats
-lumbar seats

[This message has been edited by RWDPLZ (edited 03-11-2011).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

-Stereo with push button volume controls

I saw one of those in my Friend's GT! That is a cool radio for 1986.

Gold SE's in 86 and 87 got gold colored 14" rims, compared to the standard silver.
Kevin87FieroGT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
How about the engine block heater on the '87. Got one, but afraid to try it due to the slightly dried out wire and plug.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kevin87FieroGT:

How about the engine block heater on the '87. Got one, but afraid to try it due to the slightly dried out wire and plug.

Actually, thanks for reminding me. My dad's first Fiero, an 85 GT, had an engine block heater with a chopped off plug (it leaked so it was removed), and it didn't have A/C.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 03-11-2011).]

tesmith66

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
My black 86 SE came from the factory with gold accent Hi-Tech wheels. Bought it from the original owner.

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

mattman134

Feedback score:    (33)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattman134Send a Private Message to mattman134Direct Link to This Post
Yes definitely the Rally Computer that never made it to production for the 1986 Model Year. On some 86 notchies, there is an unused connector above the heater box, below the passenger side dash speaker that has data inputs from the PCM, power, speed sensor, and the fuel sender wire goes there as well to calculate gas mileage. There was also a compass wire that was to run up the passenger side A-pillar to a compass sensor that mounted above the dome lights. The option RPO code was to be UV4.

Threads:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/111788.html
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...090219-2-084305.html

Has ANYONE ever seen this?

Matt

[This message has been edited by mattman134 (edited 03-11-2011).]

av8fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroDirect Link to This Post
Although the rally computer was never released, yes the plug for the rally computer is an oddity. What other oddities are out there?

Here's an obscure [not rare though] fact about Fieros: The center cooling vent in an 84 decklid was the largest cast magnesium component ever used [at the time anyway, maybe it still is] on a production car.

here's another oddball, there is 1 known factory blue 85 Fiero. I believe it was at Ed Park's place, but I haven't heard anything on this car in a long time. Does anyone know or have any new info on this car?

Anything else? How about some pics? Let's see this stuff

[This message has been edited by av8fiero (edited 03-11-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergDirect Link to This Post
I read (on this forum) that the electric rear-window defogger option (heater wires embedded in the rear glass) is a rare option to find.

I have an 88 GT with this option.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by rinselberg:

I read (on this forum) that the electric rear-window defogger option (heater wires embedded in the rear glass) is a rare option to find.

I wouldent say thats rare. I've only owned 1 Fiero that dosent have that and 6 others that have.
av8fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:
I wouldent say thats rare. I've only owned 1 Fiero that dosent have that and 6 others that have.

Well yes its not rare, but it is odd/useless, seeing how the engine does a great job of keeping the rear glass clear. What else? Let's see some pics of this stuff on our cars
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
My Indy has a factory engine block heater and RPO code for it listed...wonder how many other Indy's had that!
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
I had an oddley optioned car. 87 SE V6 Auto AC PW. No power locks or mirrors, No cruise no tilt steering wheel.
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpDirect Link to This Post
87 blue v6 se's i crunched the numbers and statically there were only 48 built. Now that is doing the statical math on % of blue cars to the total number of card built backed up to the number of SE's built.
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

I saw one of those in my Friend's GT! That is a cool radio for 1986.

Gold SE's in 86 and 87 got gold colored 14" rims, compared to the standard silver.

I've got that radio in my car and I really wish I had knobs for volume control. Its pretty annoying fumbling with the radio trying to adjust the volume while driving, knobs are definitely the way to go. Not to mention the lowest volume of the radio is still pretty high, so you need to shut off the radio if you want quiet.
Steve25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 02:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve25Send a Private Message to Steve25Direct Link to This Post
GT luggage rack.

------------------
Steve AT 88GTP DOT com
88 GT\3800 SC\L67\L26\4T65E-HD
NIC Cam\Comp Cam Hi-Tech 1.8 rockers\Rhoads XL Lifters
eBay Headers\Magnaflow Camaro muffler, 3.4 pulley
DH Tune

Wanna go faster?

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 04:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
My Fiero is a pretty early 86, and it didn't have that connector for the rally computer. Is there any specific info on which 86's had the plug?

Originally posted by nitroheadz28:

I've got that radio in my car and I really wish I had knobs for volume control. Its pretty annoying fumbling with the radio trying to adjust the volume while driving, knobs are definitely the way to go. Not to mention the lowest volume of the radio is still pretty high, so you need to shut off the radio if you want quiet.

Well, ok, you got me. I said it looks cool, doesn't mean it functions well.

Originally posted by Steve25:

GT luggage rack.

Yes! Good one. I do not see many of these.

and rear window defog is not rare. Its use-less. lol.
Four_hundred_86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 04:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Four_hundred_86Send a Private Message to Four_hundred_86Direct Link to This Post
What about the sun roof shade? Or an 87 se 4 cyc five speed
also on a somewhat unrelated note, 88 s were the only year to have lumbar i think. And of course there is the ever illusive cjb t top and ws6 sport suspension. Last what about the " fiero sport" model

------------------
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

PFF
System Bot
tesmith66

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 06:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
I have a set of WS6 springs in my SE that I pulled from an 85 GT. It had the WS6 code on the option tag.

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

pete 2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pete 2m4Send a Private Message to pete 2m4Direct Link to This Post

only on 84 models. my car was missing this spoiler. i didnt think it made a difference but it does. it keeps engine smells and noise out of the cockpit. it also draws air onto the manifold. it was taken off during the weatherstrip recall. so if you have a 84 i recommend you put these two items back on.
motoracer838

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Somewhat??? your kidding, right?

Joe
mtownfiero

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mtownfieroSend a Private Message to mtownfieroDirect Link to This Post
I've seen some pictures in 84' catalogs with some sort of screen over the motor. Theres also fiero luggage that supposedly came with early fieros and early fiero's that were badged with other names.
av8fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2011 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mtownfiero:

I've seen some pictures in 84' catalogs with some sort of screen over the motor. Theres also fiero luggage that supposedly came with early fieros and early fiero's that were badged with other names.

The luggage was an accessory you could purchase seperately from an outside vendor, it wasn't a regular production option. There are other threads on the luggage and other aftermarket accessories..........Do you have any pics of this engine screen? also, I've not heard of any differently badged early production fieros, unless you're maybe talking about some preproduction prototypes

What I am interested in is the regular production oddball parts/options/features. For instance, I just scored the 84 only non a/c footwell vent setup, which I intend to try and fit to my 88 ac equipped choptop. I know the drivers side vent will fit, but the passenger side supposedly won't. I'll see if i can modify the passenger side to work for me. The 84 only black trunk carpet is another example, or the 84 only notched rear edge door panels. Those are the kind of things I'm talking about, factory parts you don't see on most Fieros.

Let's see some pics!!
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2011 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadDirect Link to This Post
I have a parts car that is an 86 SE 4 cylinder auto, with the aero nose, side skirts and rear fascia, it has the dual megaphone exhaust (like the V-6 cars) from the factory.
TONY_C

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2011 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rinselberg:

probably rare in CA, back in NY around 1982, it was mandatory for all cars sold in NY to be equipped with a rear defroster. My current 84 is originally a CA car and was the first Fiero I ever saw in person without a rear defrost option. IT's really not needed due to the engine right behind the window but on really cold days it does help a little to have it.
Jojo22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2011 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jojo22Click Here to visit Jojo22's HomePageSend a Private Message to Jojo22Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by av8fiero:. For instance, I just scored the 84 only non a/c footwell vent setup, which I intend to try and fit to my 88 ac equipped choptop. I know the drivers side vent will fit, but the passenger side supposedly won't. I'll see if i can modify the passenger side to work for me. The 84 only black trunk carpet is another example, or the 84 only notched rear edge door panels. Those are the kind of things I'm talking about, factory parts you don't see on most Fieros.

Let's see some pics!!

I have a good black trunk carpet and the vent system if anyone is interested, also have a defrost rear window but not sure if it is worth pulling out.

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2011 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Rare indeed.

I've read that maybe one or two cars from the entire 1988 run actually left the factory with the power steering.

1988 was a big year for the Fiero. Pontiac engineers had finally gotten the money they needed to design a real suspension for the car and it debuted on the 1988 models. Contrary to rumor, Lotus did not design it. The all-new suspension drastically improved the car's handling and eliminated all of the old suspensions problems, like excessive bump-steer. The '88s were also supposed to get a new electro-hydraulic power steering rack, but GM decided at the last minute it wasn't ready yet and pulled it off the cars. 88 also saw a stripped down Formula model, which was basically a base car with the GT engine and suspension. Also special for the '88s were T-tops, in addition to the sunroof option.

That's from a nice little writeup of the Fiero from concept to end (1988) from Scott Evans that I found about halfway down this web page:
http://forums.motortrend.co...iac-fiero/page3.html

Here's a link to a photograph of the Fiero electro-hydraulic power steering unit that ALMOST made it into production in 1988:
http://www.fiero.net/showroom/steering.html
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2011 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by av8fiero:

Well yes its not rare, but it is odd/useless, seeing how the engine does a great job of keeping the rear glass clear. What else? Let's see some pics of this stuff on our cars

how well does it work with a recall strip?
PFF
System Bot
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2011 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by americasfuture2k:

how well does it work with a recall strip?

It works very well with the recall strip, no need for the de-fog option.
BrewCheese

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2011 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrewCheeseSend a Private Message to BrewCheeseDirect Link to This Post
What about trunk carpet without a light pocket cutout? Ive managed to find a couple but they dont seem to be very common.

Jason
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2011 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
ive heard and noticed, its just been 84's that have no trunk carpet. i like it like that better.

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987 | My Fiero Fuel Economy | MPG Display for OBD I
Youtube Videos of My GT | modernize your fiero with technology!
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem
Fiero's are people too. We pay just as much attention to them, if not more than our loved ones
screw paying those bastards. im not going to become rich by paying for things.....

since i seem to be getting so many PM's about my hitch, ill answer right here
the trailor hitch/bike rack hitch jack, lifting and resting points...

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2011 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by americasfuture2k:

ive heard and noticed, its just been 84's that have no trunk carpet. i like it like that better.

Every single Fiero made had trunk carpet, but a lot of them in 84 was black carpet instead of grey.
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post03-13-2011 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:
It works very well with the recall strip, no need for the de-fog option.

Not to derail the thread, but I've used the rear defogger on my Fieros many times. Not great for dealing with snow, sure; but it is a great thing to have on cool spring or fall mornings, when there is a lot of moisture in the air. Used the one on the MIni Cooper I used to have quite a bit, and already used the one on my brand new Cruze a couple times. ∎
Austrian Import

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2011 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattman134:

Yes definitely the Rally Computer that never made it to production for the 1986 Model Year. On some 86 notchies, there is an unused connector above the heater box, below the passenger side dash speaker that has data inputs from the PCM, power, speed sensor, and the fuel sender wire goes there as well to calculate gas mileage. There was also a compass wire that was to run up the passenger side A-pillar to a compass sensor that mounted above the dome lights. The option RPO code was to be UV4.

Threads:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/111788.html
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...090219-2-084305.html

Has ANYONE ever seen this?

Matt

Cool. That would be a good hookup for a CarPC, or aftermarket sensors. The Fiero ALDL plug will turn of timing advancement when it's plugged into a laptop, so it's not useable for a car when driving.
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
doh! i ment had no trunk light. hands were thinking something else when i was typing.
mattman134

Feedback score:    (33)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattman134Send a Private Message to mattman134Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Austrian Import:

Cool. That would be a good hookup for a CarPC, or aftermarket sensors. The Fiero ALDL plug will turn of timing advancement when it's plugged into a laptop, so it's not useable for a car when driving.

I dont know where you got that info, but when I plug it into my laptop, it works fine and runs fine as well. I have seen timing advance of up to 44 degrees. You have to connect pins A and B with a 10Kohm resistor and NOT a solid wire, as this would tend to cause the car to go to base timing.

Matt
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post
Steel rack bushing in the 88 steering rack. Somewhat rare. Most are plastic.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)