Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  obscure factory features or options (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
obscure factory features or options by av8fiero
Started on: 03-11-2011 01:10 PM
Replies: 83
Last post by: pete 2m4 on 03-18-2011 09:17 PM
Mystik

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MystikSend a Private Message to MystikDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steve25:

GT luggage rack.

I have a GT with a luggage rack. I'd actually be more than willing to trade my decklid for one with the standard spoiler.

I also have the electric rear defog.

odd car.
IP: Logged
av8fiero

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mystik:

I have a GT with a luggage rack. I'd actually be more than willing to trade my decklid for one with the standard spoiler.

odd car.

That is quite rare/obscure on the fastback gt's. Let's see some pics of it. I'd keep that decklid with the car. Get yourself another decklid and store the original.

dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post03-14-2011 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mystik:

The rear window defogger is not rare at all. At least, not unless you're in Texas, Arizona, Southern California, or similar, and the car was originally from there. Of the four Fieros I've ever owned, the only one that didn't have rear defogger is the 85 GT currently sitting in my driveway. Previous 85 GT, 86 GT, and my current 87 GT, all have the defogger. I think you'll find the vast majority of Fieros sold above the Mason-Dixon have rear defoggers, and those below are more likely to not have it. But it's certainly not a rare option or oddity.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-14-2011 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001

Originally posted by av8fiero:
the 88 only rf shielding impregnated decklids

Do you have any pics or more info on this?
av8fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroDirect Link to This Post
The difference is only seen on the underside of the 88 decklids. There is no metal rf shield attached to the underside as in earlier cars. All that is visible of the rf shielding on the 88's is the ground wire attaching to the decklid. The ground wire looks like it's just screwed into the smc[sheet molded compound]. The underside of the decklid is also very smooth over the engine area[at least on the coupes], there are no seams visible around the ribbing/skeleton of the decklid. Sorry I don't have a pic
Mystik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MystikSend a Private Message to MystikDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by av8fiero:

That is quite rare/obscure on the fastback gt's. Let's see some pics of it. I'd keep that decklid with the car. Get yourself another decklid and store the original.

I posted some pictures of my 86GT not long ago. I actually went back as a result of some of the discussion and verified it's an 86 GT by the VIN. and yeah, it's got a luggage rack, I think it looks horrid.

I'll let you judge for yourself

As for the rear defogger, I wasn't aware that any cars came without it. I live in the great white north, so it's pretty much a must-have regardless of what car you own.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by rinselberg:

I read (on this forum) that the electric rear-window defogger option (heater wires embedded in the rear glass) is a rare option to find.

I have an 88 GT with this option.

In New York not rare at all...it's required by law and all Fieros sold in NY had it.

My coupe was a NY car and I found it to be a useful option. The heat from the engine tends to fog the window in a humid climate. Unfortunately I lost the defogger in the chop top conversion. I'm going to figure out how to add it back some day.

pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by americasfuture2k:

doh! i ment had no trunk light. hands were thinking something else when i was typing.
I pulled a dud light out of an 86 once.

fieroguy123

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2011 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Direct Link to This Post
I have a strangely optioned 88' coupe.

It has no A/C, manual locks, crank windows, beachwood, basic radio with not so much as a tape deck. Absolutely zero options except for one thing. T-Tops ;-)
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2011 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by americasfuture2k:

doh! i ment had no trunk light. hands were thinking something else when i was typing.
I pulled a dud light out of an 86 once.
[/QUOTE]

I saw an 88 formula with a trunk light plug before.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2011 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
How about the factory wheel locks?
It might not be rare, but you rarely see them anymore. I still have the unopened wheel lock kit with my Formula. (in my stash of "Fiero stuff" somewhere)
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2011 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post

I read (on this forum) that the electric rear-window defogger option (heater wires embedded in the rear glass) is a rare option to find.

I have an 88 GT with this option.

I read this as not that it had a rear defroster, but that the heating elements were embedded inside the glass rather than on the surface. That would be unusual.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2011 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by motoracer838:

Somewhat??? your kidding, right?

Joe

Well, I'm learing too

So I take it any cars with power steering were add on units? Like by friends 84 4 cyl car he used to have.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2011 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Well, I'm learing too

So I take it any cars with power steering were add on units? Like by friends 84 4 cyl car he used to have.

No, like, completely custom installs. As far as I know there were no aftermarket power steering kits for the Fiero. Except maybe WCF.
lurtz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2011 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurtzSend a Private Message to lurtzDirect Link to This Post
The 84 econo. (non se) base models did not have a trunk light, interior foot well lights or the front under hood light. Though my econo did have the wiring for the front under hood light so I took the bracket from a parts car and hooked it up. I will probably figure out how to wire the interior lamps as well.

------------------
1984 Base Coupe Red Stock MY8
1984 SE Black Stock

2002 Grand Prix GTP 40th Anniv. Stock

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-15-2011 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

How about the factory wheel locks?
It might not be rare, but you rarely see them anymore. I still have the unopened wheel lock kit with my Formula. (in my stash of "Fiero stuff" somewhere)

I think people just tend to get rid of them with aftermarket wheels. They tend to be ugly, the plastic covers don't match up with aftermarket wheels, and a lot of times there just isn't enough room to even use them because the key is kind of big.
batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2011 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Direct Link to This Post
1987- 1988 Pontiac Fiero Mera!!!

pictured above is a 1987 SE version

what?? its an Dealer option......right?

Daniel-
Mera X

[This message has been edited by batousai666 (edited 03-15-2011).]

rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2011 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:
I read this as not that it had a rear defroster, but that the heating elements were embedded inside the glass rather than on the surface. That would be unusual.

It just looks that way (embedded). I wasn't thinking too hard when I posted that .. I just meant the standard factory installed electric rear window defogger/defroster. I thought that I had read that it was a seldomly-selected option, but apparently not from the comments on this thread.

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 03-15-2011).]

Johbby

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2011 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohbbySend a Private Message to JohbbyDirect Link to This Post

It just looks that way (embedded). I wasn't thinking too hard when I posted that .. I just meant the standard factory installed electric rear window defogger/defroster. I thought that I had read that it was a seldomly-selected option, but apparently not from the comments on this thread.

It's somewhat rare in the southeast. I don't think I've seen a Fiero around here with that option.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2011 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
I've owned 2 85GT's, 2 86GT's, and an 87GT, all with rear window defrosters. Only my brother's 86GT which came from Virginia doesn't have it. May be just coincidence, though.

I just remembered that one of the 86GT's had the 3rd light button on the overhead console. I believe they went to a two button console with the 86 model year.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 03-15-2011).]

pete 2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2011 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pete 2m4Send a Private Message to pete 2m4Direct Link to This Post
The 84 econo. (non se) base models did not have a trunk light, interior foot well lights or the front under hood light. Though my econo did have the wiring for the front under hood light so I took the bracket from a parts car and hooked it up. I will probably figure out how to wire the interior lamps as well.
posted by lurtz

take the driver side front speaker out and look for a orange and white wire. it has a harness plug. you will have to find a se or sport model with that option. look under the pass. dash by the door and you will see the same colored wires with a light at the end. same on drivers side it hooks into the fuse box. un plug from up top the dash after removing the speaker and do the reverse in your car. also if you look under the shift plate by the computer plug is the hook up for power mirrors
PFF
System Bot
MTFIERO

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2011 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MTFIEROSend a Private Message to MTFIERODirect Link to This Post
My 88 Formula has a few rare options. CJB Factory T-tops #18, PB4 Wheel lock package, & D34 Visor vanity mirror. It also does not have a trunk light.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2011 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:
No, like, completely custom installs. As far as I know there were no aftermarket power steering kits for the Fiero. Except maybe WCF.

There were one or two vendors who sold an aftermarket add-on kit. It consisted of an engine driven pump, and a Merkur (european Mercury) rack.
I think that IRM might have been one of them, but I could be mistaken. It's been a while.

There were a handful of 88s that were produced with power steering. They may have all been pre-production test cars.
In early 88, when GM decided to cancel the car, they recalled all of the power steering equipped cars (most hadn't even been delivered to the dealers, yet) and removed the power steering units. As the story goes, they didn't want the warranty liability for such a short run of cars. The units were also reported to be noisy, and not really ready for "prime time".
BUT... There were at least two cars (and possibly a third) that escaped the removal.
One was a magazine test loaner that was disassembled. (Someone on here had a bunch of the parts. Not sure about the PS unit.)
At least one of the others (and maybe a second) is owned by a gentleman in Florida. It's a yellow or white GT, IIRC.
He's known to several on here who have seen the car, but is a rather private individual and prefers to stay out of the limelight.

------------------
Raydar
88 4.9 Formula IMSA Fastback

Read Nealz Nuze! Praise the Lowered!

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 03-15-2011).]

Ridgelandbaseball

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2011 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RidgelandbaseballSend a Private Message to RidgelandbaseballDirect Link to This Post
As mattwa said, my 85GT had no air, no power locks or mirrors but did have the rear defog and a block heater. I imagine it must have been special ordered with those options. I came from New York state.
1988holleyformula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2011 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

There were one or two vendors who sold an aftermarket add-on kit.
*snip*

I love interesting Fiero information like this! ^

Like the Zimmer? I think that had power steering. A lot less rare than the few stock Fiero's that came with it.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2011 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

There were one or two vendors who sold an aftermarket add-on kit. It consisted of an engine driven pump, and a Merkur (european Mercury) rack.
I think that IRM might have been one of them, but I could be mistaken. It's been a while.

There were a handful of 88s that were produced with power steering. They may have all been pre-production test cars.
In early 88, when GM decided to cancel the car, they recalled all of the power steering equipped cars (most hadn't even been delivered to the dealers, yet) and removed the power steering units. As the story goes, they didn't want the warranty liability for such a short run of cars. The units were also reported to be noisy, and not really ready for "prime time".
BUT... There were at least two cars (and possibly a third) that escaped the removal.
One was a magazine test loaner that was disassembled. (Someone on here had a bunch of the parts. Not sure about the PS unit.)
At least one of the others (and maybe a second) is owned by a gentleman in Florida. It's a yellow or white GT, IIRC.
He's known to several on here who have seen the car, but is a rather private individual and prefers to stay out of the limelight.

Thanks for clearing this up, I did not know this.
tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2011 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

I have a parts car that is an 86 SE 4 cylinder auto, with the aero nose, side skirts and rear fascia, it has the dual megaphone exhaust (like the V-6 cars) from the factory.

The same as my first fiero.. now scrapped. I tried like hell to find one to match, but had to go with a coupe and change body panels and exhaust to do it.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2011 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by tbone42:

The same as my first fiero.. now scrapped. I tried like hell to find one to match, but had to go with a coupe and change body panels and exhaust to do it.

Thats gotta be rare, maybe he has your car? Saved from the scrapper? (one can only hope)
007DOUG

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2011 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 007DOUGSend a Private Message to 007DOUGDirect Link to This Post
I have an Indy Pace Car build without air conditioning.
bkfly1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2011 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bkfly1Click Here to visit bkfly1's HomePageSend a Private Message to bkfly1Direct Link to This Post
Just thought I'd take this opportunity to plug the NIFE Enthusiasts Guide to the Pontiac Fiero. We spent a lot of time compiling information just like this...vehicle data, production numbers, specifications, etc. The NIFE board reviews our list of open EG items regularly, and constantly enhance the document as new facts can be substantiated.

If you're interested in Fiero history, or in identifying characteristics of certain year/model/options, etc., this is an excellent resource.

Copies available for purchase at http://www.fierofocus.com/store.html

------------------
86 GT 5-speed, 88 Coupe Auto
Webmaster, NIFE
www.fierofocus.com

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2011 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
How about an 88 Mera with the EHPS? I have both and plan to install the EHPS very soon.
PFF
System Bot
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2011 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post
I would say the 88 lumbar seat is one of the rarest actual production options.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2011 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by bkfly1:

Just thought I'd take this opportunity to plug the NIFE Enthusiasts Guide to the Pontiac Fiero. We spent a lot of time compiling information just like this...vehicle data, production numbers, specifications, etc. The NIFE board reviews our list of open EG items regularly, and constantly enhance the document as new facts can be substantiated.

If you're interested in Fiero history, or in identifying characteristics of certain year/model/options, etc., this is an excellent resource.

Copies available for purchase at http://www.fierofocus.com/store.html

I have one of these, picked it up at the Wisconsin Dells show, it is amazing. It has pretty much anything anyone needs to know.

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 199
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2011 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post
Most of the "rare" options that I know of were offered on the 84 Fiero.

In 1984, you could get seats that had a net pocket attached to the rear. So you'd pitch the seat forward, and it had sewn into the seat back, an elastic net pocket like you see in the trunks of a lot of cars. It was on these seats (no picture of the pocket though, sorry...) http://www.pontiacperforman...Fiero/84_Fiero_4.jpg

Of course there's the subwoofer that was offered in some of the cars... but most of the options were pretty common.

I believe there was also a few 88s that were sold with a set of factory fog lamps, and the switch replaced the factory rear defog switch. No idea where the fog lamps went though...

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 206
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2011 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadDirect Link to This Post
85 GT also came standard with the mesh pocket on the backside of the seatback.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2011 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

85 GT also came standard with the mesh pocket on the backside of the seatback.

I'm curious what your seats looked like. Did they have a particular design on them (striping) like the ones in my 84? Or were they the solid colored seats?

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 206
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2011 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadDirect Link to This Post
They are in my boy's truck, I'll check tomorrow.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2011 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

They are in my boy's truck, I'll check tomorrow.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I'm just curious because I wonder if the netting was like a feature that was more or less optional, or if it was just "standard" on all Fieros from 84-85.

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-18-2011 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
Thanks, I appreciate it. I'm just curious because I wonder if the netting was like a feature that was more or less optional, or if it was just "standard" on all Fieros from 84-85.

I think it was standard. Both 85 GTs I've owned had them anyway. I've never had any 84s though.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-18-2011 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
I'm curious what your seats looked like. Did they have a particular design on them (striping) like the ones in my 84? Or were they the solid colored seats?

This is the seat upholstery style in the 85 GTs: http://carphotos.cardomain....8971944005_large.jpg
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock