Started on: 07-14-2007 01:30 PM
Replies: 12
Last post by: ARKaiser on 07-23-2007 11:47 AM
ARKaiser

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2007 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ARKaiserSend a Private Message to ARKaiserDirect Link to This Post
Two questions...

1. What other cars use the same VSS as an 86 SE auto? I think mine might be bad but don't want to spend $100 for a new one.

2. What is a "Rally Computer" that is stock to a Fiero? Where can I get one? Where dose it mount? My 86 service manual has the wiring guide for it.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierohoho

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2007 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohohoSend a Private Message to fierohohoDirect Link to This Post
If you haven't pulled the speed sender yet a problem they have is the plastic gear falls off the shaft of the sensor and drops into the tranny.

Pull the sender and check that the gear is still attached.

The Rally Computer sound like it could be the Rally Gages that sit over the radio/heater controls/vents.

I've never heard of a Rally Computer before.

Steve

------------------

Where will the road take you today?

Some helpful links I've done
How to remove inner door panels, with pics.
How to remove outer door panels, with pics.
How to make rear coil-overs using factory struts, with pics.
How to remove rear bearing hubs, with pics.
How to modify the stock Fiero radio for MP3 players, with pics.
How to come up with the right coolant hoses for that engine swap...With Pics.
Basic Fiero electrical testing "How To" and equipment...with pics.

[This message has been edited by fierohoho (edited 07-14-2007).]

ARKaiser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2007 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ARKaiserSend a Private Message to ARKaiserDirect Link to This Post
Thanks - the gear is still attached but the speedo only works when it wants to and will flip on and off at will.

The "Rally Computer" shows input from the ECM, VSS, Ignition Switch, Lights, Battery, and Fuel Gage. The ECM connection is labled "for MPG". It sounds like it's some type of fuel economy thing.
fierohoho

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2007 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohohoSend a Private Message to fierohohoDirect Link to This Post
If the wires look good at the sender I would maybe wiggle or un-plug and plug in the main connecter at the instrument cluster a couple times which requires removing the bottom and top trim pieces, sounds like a loose or poor connection.

Steve

[This message has been edited by fierohoho (edited 07-14-2007).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2007 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by ARKaiser:

2. What is a "Rally Computer" that is stock to a Fiero? Where can I get one? Where dose it mount? My 86 service manual has the wiring guide for it.

I have never heard of such a thing.... Do you have access to a scanner to show the wiring guide for the rally computer? I would be interested to see what it is.
ARKaiser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2007 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ARKaiserSend a Private Message to ARKaiserDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

I have never heard of such a thing.... Do you have access to a scanner to show the wiring guide for the rally computer? I would be interested to see what it is.

ARKaiser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2007 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ARKaiserSend a Private Message to ARKaiserDirect Link to This Post

ARKaiser

1305 posts
Member since Feb 2003

Originally posted by fierohoho:

If the wires look good at the sender I would maybe wiggle or un-plug and plug in the main connecter at the instrument cluster a couple times which requires removing the bottom and top trim pieces, sounds like a loose or poor connection.

Steve

I even put in a new speedo pack and no change.

After the engine warms up it acts better then when cold but still it will cut in and out without any cause that I can detect.

I have a spare tranny but they snapped the top off the VSS when they removed the engine. I was hoping I could find one at the junk yard off another car. Most of the time they will let me have things like that for a buck or two.
Cooter

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2007 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

I am thinking that somewhere along the way, the Fiero was supposed to have one of those trip computers that told instant mileage, average mileage, distance to empty and stuff like that like the same era Corvette. That is probably what they are considering the 'rally computer'.
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2007 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cooter:

I am thinking that somewhere along the way, the Fiero was supposed to have one of those trip computers that told instant mileage, average mileage, distance to empty and stuff like that like the same era Corvette. That is probably what they are considering the 'rally computer'.

Maybe it never made it to production, kinda like how the 88 Fiero Helm manual has power steering info in it.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2007 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by KurtAKX:

Maybe it never made it to production, kinda like how the 88 Fiero Helm manual has power steering info in it.

That must be it... I've never heard of a Fiero actually having a Rally computer, and having never looked in the 86 book I didn't know it was there. If someone out there actually has a rally computer it would be worth a lot seeing how rare it would be.
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2007 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ARKaiser:

cool, I just looked in my 85 FSM and it doesn't even have that page - mine just goes from the cluster page (8A-80-11) to the wiper/washer page (8A-90-0). You must have one of the earlier printing of the manual.

Any chance of getting a hi-res copy of them? You have peaked my interest.

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 07-15-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2007 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Does anyone know of an aftermarket device that performs the function of the rally computer? I know they used to sell such devices, but I imagine now it would be OBDII or otherwise difficult to install. But I would like to have something like that in my Fiero.
ARKaiser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2007 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ARKaiserSend a Private Message to ARKaiserDirect Link to This Post
I am still needing an answer to my question on the VSS. I hope to go to the junk yard soon and would like to pick one up there so that I can test mine.

Also I talked with an engineer this last weekend that worked on the Rally Computer. It was going to be a true Rally Computer and not just a trip computer. The ECMs for 87 are equipped with the needed software but GM decided not to go on with the project. Thery were doing it for a California company that was going to supply the computers. GM was worried about the future need to supply airbags and since the computer was to be mounted in front of the passenger on the dash that left no place for the airbag. He doubted that any of the computers made it past a proto type and that none would be around today. He did say that if he came across the name of the company he would get it to me.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock