Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  HD 5 speed will bolt to any 60* motor (3800 2.8 3.4) (Page 9)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 11 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11 
Previous Page | Next Page
HD 5 speed will bolt to any 60* motor (3800 2.8 3.4) by RULOOKIN
Started on: 12-01-2010 09:20 PM
Replies: 407
Last post by: L67 on 10-19-2011 04:45 AM
Isolde

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2011 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post
Current GM part number and price for the '07 F23, new, with 3.84:1 final, is 12581400, $1324.55
IP: Logged
Trinten

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2011 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenDirect Link to This Post
Nice, that's good to know. I'm guessing that comes with the Ecotec bellhousing?
Isolde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2011 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post
Must be.
lonewolf_305

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2011 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lonewolf_305Send a Private Message to lonewolf_305Direct Link to This Post
just wondering will saturn trans with the ecotech work is that still the f23 i know the bell housing will be different
Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2011 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenDirect Link to This Post
As mentioned earlier in the thread, you'll need to get the correct bellhousing and swap it - that should be the only thing you'd need to do as far as the bolt pattern goes.
lonewolf_305

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2011 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lonewolf_305Send a Private Message to lonewolf_305Direct Link to This Post
ok ive accually been watching this thred since the bigining and scanning back i dont see much on the saturn trans. couple of ?s whats the gear ratios and is the case the same. i now work for a wrecking yard and have been scavinging everything. i now have a riv l67, a new cradle, and im told theres a saturn with an ecotech out in the yard. theres also a couple of fieros out there but i havent gotten to them yet.
Isolde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2011 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post
If it's Ecotec, then it doesn't matter if it's Saturn or not. IDK if Saturn used Ecotec or something different. But an Ecotec F23 is an Ecotec F23. Are there Saturn-specific F23s? Maybe, IDK.
All the USDM car Ecotec F23s used the 0.69:1 fifth with the 3.84:1 final until the XFE came along. I'll bet there are no XFE Saturns.
The Saturn Vue used different gearing in it's F23. But it's a CUV, not a car.
There are pics, print them out. Take them to the yard.
You've done all the research you can usefully do here, maybe try some other forums if you want more.
lonewolf_305

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2011 03:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lonewolf_305Send a Private Message to lonewolf_305Direct Link to This Post
yeah i guess as soon as this snow melts a bit ill have to look at it. ty for the imfo everyone
mptighe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2011 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Isolde:

To use the F40, you need a '96-'02 Camaro flywheel, a Spec clutch ( they already make one just for this specific combo ) a set of Cobalt SS supercharged axles, new or used, then modify aFiero Muncie 4 speed shifter, and change 1 cable. I just found a dozen F40s for $400 each, plus shipping.
To use the F23, I found them for $200 each from www.lkqcorp.com which is a nation-wide chain, and they give a warranty.
Your MPG would eventually pay for the F40. Because 1900 rpm at 65 mph is fine for the 3800 engines, but 2400 is un-necessary.

Hey Isolde, what year Cobalt axles, they are different in different years I've been told. If you don't mind me asking, would you share your source for that info?

[This message has been edited by mptighe (edited 03-04-2011).]

katore8105

Feedback score:    (28)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2011 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katore8105Click Here to visit katore8105's HomePageSend a Private Message to katore8105Direct Link to This Post
I know this is a little off topic but I have been gone for a while. What happened to mera7?
Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2011 01:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by katore8105:

I know this is a little off topic but I have been gone for a while. What happened to mera7?

PM sent to keep the topic from derailing too much.
PFF
System Bot
Isolde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2011 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mptighe:

Hey Isolde, what year Cobalt axles, they are different in different years I've been told. If you don't mind me asking, would you share your source for that info?

I'm not good with sources. Either the source seems credible, so I pay close attention, or the source seems suspect, so I skim and go on.
It was found here, on PFF, that the Supercharged Cobalt SS with F35, has axles that go right into the F40, and right into stock Fiero hubs. Plus, the Cobalt has the same track width as the Fiero.
These axles are somewhat weak, but are a relatively cheap starting point. DriveShaftShop can do stronger axles.
The axles will have to determine the positioning of the F40, and that may not leave room for some engine swaps, but any of the V6s should fit easily.
I never did get around to checking how much extra $ DSS would want for custom axle lengths if the F40 needs to be moved from where the SS axles require it. This is because I sold my F40, which eventually showed up in a Fieroguru thread. I recognized my own handwriting, done with a blue sharpie.
I do know where there are another few F40s at a fair price, but I'm not buying another until I finish my F23 testing in late April.

[This message has been edited by Isolde (edited 04-17-2011).]

mptighe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2011 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Isolde:

I'm not good with sources. Either the source seems credible, so I pay close attention, or the source seems suspect, so I skim and go on.
It was found here, on PFF, that the Supercharged Cobalt SS with F35, has axles that go right into the F40, and right into stock Fiero hubs. Plus, the Cobalt has the same track width as the Fiero.
These axles are somewhat weak, but are a relatively cheap starting point. DriveShaftShop can do stronger axles.
The axles will have to determine the positioning of the F40, and that may not leave room for some engine swaps, but any of the V6s should fit easily.
I never did get around to checking how much extra $ DSS would want for custom axle lengths if the F40 needs to be moved from where the SS axles require it. This is because I sold my F40, which eventually showed up in a Fieroguru thread. I recognized my own handwriting, done with a blue sharpie.
I do know where there are another few F40s at a fair price, but I'm not buying another until I finish my F23 testing in mid April.

I'm only asking because my next phase is having a F40 put in with my 3800, and the guy doing it (everyone will find out who this is when he either starts the build thread or posts in my car's thread I'm sure) asked me to do some of the legwork and get clarification. Being as I'm not a mechanic, I'd like to be able to point him to the info. Can anyone assist with this?

RULOOKIN

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2011 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post
Anyone have a getrag cable/slave bracket i need one for my build i have to cut off the ears that hold the slave but need the rest for my caveiler 282 getrag
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2011 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RULOOKIN:

Anyone have a getrag cable/slave bracket i need one for my build i have to cut off the ears that hold the slave but need the rest for my caveiler 282 getrag

http://rodneydickman.com/ca...th=28&products_id=51
RULOOKIN

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2011 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

http://rodneydickman.com/ca...th=28&products_id=51

Yes this is what i am looking for but i was just needing the slave cable one i have the other pecies all in chrome realy just want something used thta i can cut and paint Thanks
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2011 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaDirect Link to This Post
He gang. Was reading over this thread again.

I found a F23 on a 01 Sunfire in the yard today. Did't pull it, because I was there for a diff part, and didn't bring all my tools. But.... Just so I don't waste my time, the 2001 Pontiac Sunfire with the 2200 motor and 5 speed is the correct trans right? Im 99.99% sure it is, even saw the big F23 on the case, but I want to make sure its the one that will fit, correct bellhousing and all.

Finally, what else do I need to grab from it? Mounts, flywheel, HTB, wires, cables etc.....

THanks agian for this thread

Rob
katore8105

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2011 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katore8105Click Here to visit katore8105's HomePageSend a Private Message to katore8105Direct Link to This Post
I have been buying up the necessary parts to do the swap, however I was curious if anyone has completed and documented the swap yet. Anyone?
Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2011 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenDirect Link to This Post
Jncomutt - at one point - had a complete build thread on this, but after some issues he had trying to convince/show it to others, most of that thread has been deleted.

L67 also knows quite a bit about the swap, but I'm not sure if he ever did one himself, or just assisted/learned from Jncomutt.
lonewolf_305

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2011 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lonewolf_305Send a Private Message to lonewolf_305Direct Link to This Post
i just did a clutch job on a 00 sunfire. saw the trans first hand. hopeing it was a problem with the trans itsself but no luck. but anyway i was wondering if you use the shifter/cables from the f23 you would not have to modify anything right. i know the cables would probibly be too short, but i could probibly fix that easly.
Isolde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2011 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by katore8105:

I have been buying up the necessary parts to do the swap, however I was curious if anyone has completed and documented the swap yet. Anyone?

I'm currently doing one, but I don't do build threads until everything is done. And mine is with a RWD LSx, into an '84 originally built with the Muncie, using the adapter plate I sell. So my thread may not be a lot of help to a lot of people.
PFF
System Bot
Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2011 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenDirect Link to This Post
Hey Isolde,

Though I have a different adapter plate, I'm sure your build thread will be give some good tips for V8 guys, regardless! Looking forward to it!
FieroFiend

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2011 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFiendSend a Private Message to FieroFiendDirect Link to This Post
My F23 3800 has been done since before this thread was started as mentioned earlier in the thread as far as Im aware, me and Jnco still have the only 2 completed.

As for using the stock F23 cables the problem is they are much to short, and in a Fiero would come at the transmission from the wrong side, if you had a custom set made that was long enough to go all the way around the engine and pull the linkage from the trunk side it would probably work, but also probably not because likely the exhaust is in the way there (atleast on the 3800) This doesnt even take into account the absurd method the F23 cables use to mount to the shifter of an F23 vehicle, the fiero shifter would no longer work without significant modifications or using an f23 shifter which would be likely be to large and tall for the fiero.

The easiest way is to use the two factory Getrag select cables as they are long enough to reach, and I already went over the minor modification at the trans linkage to correct the pattern at the shifter.

For what its worth my higher mileage f23 still laughs at my 3800sc attemps to break it and believe me I abuse it every time I drive it.
lonewolf_305

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2011 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lonewolf_305Send a Private Message to lonewolf_305Direct Link to This Post
yeah its hard for me to think backwards. i guess it would bekindof a pita to use the whole system plus i wasent really impressed with the flimsey shifter of the cavi. i was more or less just tossing things around in my head. man i need to get this trans so i can start the swap, its the only thing i lack to get started.
FieroFiend

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2011 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFiendSend a Private Message to FieroFiendDirect Link to This Post
If it was more viable Id have used the Jbody shifter in a heart beat with the B&M shifter its a great shifter much better then the fiero. Just much easier and less costly to use the Fiero shifter.
voodoochikin04

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2011 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for voodoochikin04Send a Private Message to voodoochikin04Direct Link to This Post
wow this hasnt been updated in a while.. just wanted to say ive been on the hunt a few days to find one of these trans.. cheapest i can find is 300$ shippied to my door.. definitely gotta do something and i have the stupid isuzu 5speed and im swapping in a 355sbc. when this goes down, ill be doing a write up with pictures, my own mounts and all. unless someone can get me an f23 faster than a few weeks for cheaper??
JamesCurtis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2011 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JamesCurtisSend a Private Message to JamesCurtisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by americasfuture2k:

Can't wait to hear and see a perfected write up on this.

amen to this!

------------------

katore8105

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2011 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katore8105Click Here to visit katore8105's HomePageSend a Private Message to katore8105Direct Link to This Post
any new progress anyone?

lonewolf_305

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2011 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lonewolf_305Send a Private Message to lonewolf_305Direct Link to This Post
well got the engine and a new cradle just waiting on a cheep trans to start the mock up anyone out there got one for me.
LEEEZARD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2011 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LEEEZARDSend a Private Message to LEEEZARDDirect Link to This Post
i have a 2010 cobalt xfe f23 with the more desireable final ratio. i have a 2002 vin4 f23 to rob the bell housing off of and if i find time later this wk ill tear into it and put up pics. will be mating this to a ls2.
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2011 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by LEEEZARD:

i have a 2010 cobalt xfe f23 with the more desireable final ratio. i have a 2002 vin4 f23 to rob the bell housing off of and if i find time later this wk ill tear into it and put up pics. will be mating this to a ls2.

Damn you!! Those are pretty hard to find, I'd definitely want to find one if I could.
PFF
System Bot
Xyster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2011 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XysterSend a Private Message to XysterDirect Link to This Post

Is it pretty common for Getrag transmissions to have matching bolt patterns for the bellhousing to main body interface?
LEEEZARD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2011 01:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LEEEZARDSend a Private Message to LEEEZARDDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by LEEEZARD (edited 07-20-2011).]

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2011 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xyster:

Is it pretty common for Getrag transmissions to have matching bolt patterns for the bellhousing to main body interface?

Not common at all, but he's talking about swapping the Ecotec bellhousing for the 2.2 pushrod bellhousing on a pair of F23's.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2011 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Will

14226 posts
Member since Jun 2000

does anyone make a fiero getrag 282 standard size flywheel with the LS crank bolt pattern?

SPEC could probably do it for you. They made the aluminum Northstar/Getrag flywheel (after significant effort on the community's part BTW).

http://www.specclutch.com/

Which engine are you expecting to use?
LEEEZARD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2011 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LEEEZARDSend a Private Message to LEEEZARDDirect Link to This Post
im going to use a ls2. i just talked to jeremy at spec. he said he would look into it. he would like to see more than one tho to build it. i imagine several here could benefit from it if we did a group buy or something. anyone running a ls4 could use the flywheel, just minor offset difference. could use a spacer like archie does to get proper stack height and crank height.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2011 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post

does anyone make a fiero getrag 282 standard size flywheel with the LS crank bolt pattern?

Just take a LS1 flywheel and turn it down to accept the 142 tooth ring gear and drill the 6 pressure plate bolts. The LS1 flywheel is already the right thickness, with the right crank pattern and properly balanced, just too large in diameter and needs the pressure plate pattern.

It will look like this one:

However, to use a flywheel this size, you must use an adapter plate that will make the crank flange flush with the face of the adapter plate (transmission side) and you must figure out where you are going to put the starter (like doing something similar to my bolt on starter mount for the F40 transmission).
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2011 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

The LS1 flywheel is already the right thickness,

However, to use a flywheel this size, you must use an adapter plate that will make the crank flange flush with the face of the adapter plate (transmission side) and you must figure out where you are going to put the starter (like doing something similar to my bolt on starter mount for the F40 transmission).

On the LS4, the crank flange is flush with the bellhousing pattern. On other Gen III/IV engines, it is not. The crank flange stands ~0.280" proud of the bellhousing mounting face. If you are going to use an LS2, you will need an adapter plate this thick in order to follow FieroGuru's flywheel advice.

As he mentioned, you will also need to figure out something to do with the starter. The Gen III/IV pan is too wide to fit a starter in the usual FWD location, such that it can still engage the flywheel.
LEEEZARD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2011 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LEEEZARDSend a Private Message to LEEEZARDDirect Link to This Post
i like guru's starter option, i have done almost exactly as he did. made my own adapter plate, and tranny mount starter from the taurus. those issues i have already taken care of. the flywheel i can turn down a ls1 but wanted a more commercially available unit available to the masses so that the next time i need a flywheel i dont have to build another one. time is not always my friend as i am busy with work.

[This message has been edited by LEEEZARD (edited 07-20-2011).]

LEEEZARD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2011 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LEEEZARDSend a Private Message to LEEEZARDDirect Link to This Post

f23 oem gm toolkit

f23 oem gm diff lash toolkit

f23 fixture tool

[This message has been edited by LEEEZARD (edited 07-15-2011).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 11 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave