Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  HD 5 speed will bolt to any 60* motor (3800 2.8 3.4) (Page 8)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 11 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11 
Previous Page | Next Page
HD 5 speed will bolt to any 60* motor (3800 2.8 3.4) by RULOOKIN
Started on: 12-01-2010 09:20 PM
Replies: 407
Last post by: L67 on 10-19-2011 04:45 AM
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2010 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GeMs:

So if you get the 09-10 XFE trans and swap the bellhousing on it, could you use the Thelin 5 speed shift adapter and mounts? Or does the ecotec use a different tranny.

I'll say this again. Yes, you can use the trunk side mount with some minor modifications, you can use his shift adapter if you make your own cable mounts. I think you're better off making them similar to what rodney offers for the 90s getrags, however.
IP: Logged
mera7

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-21-2010 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mera7Send a Private Message to mera7Direct Link to This Post
pics of 2002 vin 4 cavalier f23 and another 2010 cobalt f23

wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2010 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbDirect Link to This Post
here is roger thelins kit if any one is interested.found the invoice , all this was 275.00 .i have decided to leave my setup the way it is so i am going to put this for sale in the mall for 200.00 .pics:

this stuff is really well made and has detailed instructions .as far as mounts go on my swap i used the stock cavalier rubber mounts and welded some 1/8" flat bar pieces to my cradle .considering most factory mounts are just made of sheet metal , you dont need to be too elaborate .just make sure you double shear mount and if you are not a good welder have a friend do it .
Trinten

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2010 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenDirect Link to This Post
Clutch question -

Earlier in the thread FieroFiend said:
"The jbody guys are using the 2200 SFI clutch and pressure plate kits with the f23 attached to a 3800 in those. Which should give the trans the stack height it wants to have, since the 2200 flywheel is also the standard .840ish from what Ive gathered after having done mine already using fiero hardware. Which should in theory apply to the stock v6 as well, its worked for multiple people out of the box but should be checked regardless."

Now I thought someplace else in this thread it said that the stock Fiero clutch and pressure plates would work? Or no?

Last concern, with me running Archies adapter plate for my 350 - any measurements that I might need to make that would be different from if this was bolted up to a 3800, in order for everything to mate/engage? (Besides one already mentioned, like with the HTOB and clutch pedal travel) I'm just concerned that my input shaft (jeez i hope that's the right name for what I'm thinking of) is going to be long enough.

Thanks guys!
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2010 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Trinten:

stock Fiero clutch and pressure plates would work? Or no?

I'm prob the only one that has explored this issue. Some brands/styles work, some don't. The clearance needed is very small. You can easily get the needed room with a grinder to either the PP or the trans case if you're daring. Or you could just use a PP known to not rub.
Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2010 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenDirect Link to This Post
So given that my adapter plate gave me enough room to use a Clutchnet Pressure plate that does not work in a completely stock Fiero... then it's likely that both my clutch and PP would drop in without an issue?

Thanks John!
mera7

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-23-2010 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mera7Send a Private Message to mera7Direct Link to This Post
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL OF MY FIERO FRIENDS.... MIKE IN OKLAH0MA
FieroFiend

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2010 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFiendSend a Private Message to FieroFiendDirect Link to This Post
Thelins shift reverse kit is completely unnecessary when using the 2200 f23, its much much easier and cheaper to make your own cable mounts (one of his ecotec ones wont work anyways) and reversing the up down motion at the transmission can be done with one simple cut and re-weld of the steel bracket the ball is attached to. My method simple as it is keeps the stock shift shaft of the f23 oriented the way it was ment to be.
Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2010 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroFiend:

Thelins shift reverse kit is completely unnecessary when using the 2200 f23, its much much easier and cheaper to make your own cable mounts (one of his ecotec ones wont work anyways) and reversing the up down motion at the transmission can be done with one simple cut and re-weld of the steel bracket the ball is attached to. My method simple as it is keeps the stock shift shaft of the f23 oriented the way it was ment to be.

Can we see (or have you posted) your method? Or is it a secret too? -Jason

katore8105

Feedback score:    (28)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2010 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katore8105Click Here to visit katore8105's HomePageSend a Private Message to katore8105Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierofreak00:

Can we see (or have you posted) your method? Or is it a secret too? -Jason

FieroFiend

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2010 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFiendSend a Private Message to FieroFiendDirect Link to This Post
All you do it lop the end of the steel ball bracket off and switch the side it pulls and pushes from and weld it back on pretty simple and was mentioned earlier in the thread and more or less in the post qouted. Theres nothing secret about the swap from anyone its all here in this thread and others. There isnt a single way to do the swap its like a 3800 theres about 1000 ways it can be done and they generally all work out in the end just preference.

Theres nothing overly difficult about the swap.

Ill see if I can scrounge up a pic of mine when I first did it, ugly but it worked fine still does its just less ugly now.

[This message has been edited by FieroFiend (edited 12-24-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracDirect Link to This Post
Bump !
RULOOKIN

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post
trani related question, i am running a 5 speed getrag but i too a speck 3 clutch from a 4 speed was brand new so i would like to use it, is there any diifferance ?
BtotheB

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BtotheBClick Here to visit BtotheB's HomePageSend a Private Message to BtotheBDirect Link to This Post
A 4 speed clutch will interfere with the Getrag housing. I had a 4-speed Spec stage III clutch in my car with the Getrag very briefly, it was too thick and gouged the tranny in a couple spots.

------------------

1987 Fiero GT - 3800 Series III, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Magnaflow

katore8105

Feedback score:    (28)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katore8105Click Here to visit katore8105's HomePageSend a Private Message to katore8105Direct Link to This Post
bump for a good thread.
RULOOKIN

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2011 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post
talked to Jeremy at spec, and the word is there are specific presure plates for 4 and 5 speed , and 5 speed getrag all diifferent,i have read lots on this and see that guys have gotten away with swaping clutches from different model tranis, but in my situation i am running a 5 speed getrag i tryed to get away with useing a spec 3 clutch from a 4 speed apparently the PP is larger than PP on the 5 speed so there may be interferance inside the trani case,
lucky i got this info before i put my motor in last thing i need is trani issues, I am presently looking at a few different clutch set ups, i have seen prices range from 350, to 800 my car is not a daily driver or drag car but i still want smooth engagement, i have driven a few 3800sc 5 and 6 speeds that had agresive clutches and i didnt like it at all, would rather go through a clutch every 2 years then have a car shift like a wild beast,
Curlys wide body v8 fastback with 6 speed shifts like butter with smooth engagement A++ on clutch selection i think Archie did his car so he will know what clutch he used.
Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2011 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenDirect Link to This Post
I picked up my F23 today. It's got a little rust on it, but the car it came out of only had 1000 miles on the Odometer. The input shaft has some surface rust in addition to the boot/seal at the base of the input shaft being torn.

I tried searching for rebuild kits (to see if I could replace the various rusty pieces on the transmission as well as that torn boot/seal) but haven't found any! Or even just that boot/seal by itself! Is there another "proper" name for it I should be using?

Advance auto was the most odd, their website, even after putting in the vehicle, just gave me stuff for the HM282 and the Isuzu 5 speed. All the other ones I've checked (Napa, Autozone, and O'Reillys) only had stuff for the auto-transmission, and some gaskets for the manual. Suggestions/part numbers would be great!!

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2011 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
That boot you're referring to is probably the hydraulic throw out bearing.
Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2011 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenDirect Link to This Post
Nuts! I'll take a picture of it tomorrow and gert it put up on my webshots for verification, along with some of the other pieces I'd like to replace with rust-free ones.

Thanks man!
mera7

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2011 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mera7Send a Private Message to mera7Direct Link to This Post

Nuts! I'll take a picture of it tomorrow and gert it put up on my webshots for verification, along with some of the other pieces I'd like to replace with rust-free ones.

Thanks man!

the trans itself is an aluminum case, wont rust. maybe your referring to some bolt on pieces/brackets? im with jnco its likely your htob
Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2011 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenDirect Link to This Post
You are correct! It's just little things bolted to it that are rusted, and a cover that's on the opposite side of the transmission from the input shaft. I'll have pictures up tomorrow morning before I go into work.
PFF
System Bot
Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2011 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenDirect Link to This Post
I have more, but here's a few pics of the transmission, namely the input shaft and that rusty plate. So that green thing with the tear is definitely the HTOB? And what is that rusty plate called so I can replace it?

The other pics of the transmission (and other ones related to my Fiero) can be found here:
http://community.webshots.c...36699ZNVhrk?start=12
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2011 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, thats the HTOB thats ripped. The other piece is just an end plate. It can be cleaned/painted.
Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2011 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for the verification and information.
L67

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 219
User Banned

Report this Post01-16-2011 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post
I don't know what to suggest you do about the input shaft. It looks 'a little worse for oxidation'.
Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2011 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenDirect Link to This Post
Hopefully once I clean it up it'll look okay. Hopefully.
L67

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-16-2011 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post
Best of luck getting that done. The transmission does look pretty rough, oxidation on the case is pretty normal, but the input shaft being in such shape, I wonder what the "enclosed" portion of that shaft and the gears look like. It might be worthwhile to crack the case on a "rainy day".
Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2011 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenDirect Link to This Post
Well, I have tomorrow off from work... no idea where to start with opening a transmission properly. ... got any plans tomorrow L67? lol
L67

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-17-2011 02:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post
Not a chance.

Here's something I put together for the visual learners out there. Trinten, skip steps 21-25, you won't need to remove the shafts.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2011 02:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenDirect Link to This Post
Holy smokes that's awesome! Where did you get/find that documentation??

Thank you very much! At a glance it all looks pretty straight forward. Hopefully no curve balls.
L67

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-17-2011 02:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post
It's information I scavenged from an old version of AllData and assembled in photoshop.
PFF
System Bot
Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2011 02:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenDirect Link to This Post
Still very handy! Thank you.

It talks about need an input shaft anti-rotation tool... these things look to be about a hundred bucks. I'm guessing it's pretty critical to have one of those? Also in Step 10 it says to turn the transmission over (after taking out the bolts... guess it's not at the 'fall apart stage' yet) and puncture a seal with anything handy. So literally, I'll see a seal, and I need to cut it with a knife or something or else I'll damage the transmission in the rest of the disassembly?

And two last questions (for now). There's alot of seals and such - like the "oil guides" from step 12 - being taken out and tossed, any ideas on who carries replacements?
And how do I know when it's in neutral (one of the steps says to put it in neutral before continuing).

[This message has been edited by Trinten (edited 01-17-2011).]

L67

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-17-2011 03:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post
The tools are automakers proprietary method of generating additional revenue. A special tool is supposed to be used to press the shafts out of the idler bearings. The guys on the jbody forums are using crowbars and hammers to dislodge the shafts - literally (to give you an idea). Use what you have to get by, although I by no means endorse or encourage using a crowbar and/or hammer. The Getrag M282 disassemble manual also calls for a slue specific tools. Short of removing the shafts, I got by with the normal and a few tools I built in the garage.

Step 10 - The directions are to puncture the middle of the seal in order to prevent scarring of the walls the seal seals against. If the walls are scarred, the seal will no longer prevent fluid from leaking past the cover onto your clutch and you will have caused "damage to the transmission". Not removing the seal will not cause independent damage to the transmission during the rest of the disassemble process, you won't be able to get behind it to the bolt that's holding the two halves together at the intermediate shaft. Essentially, you'll just be stuck at step 10. Re read the directions, they'll make sense this time around.

The seals are designed to be disposable. It's very likely that the newest 287's are still using the same diameter seals and should be available at the very least at your local dealership. In the case of the m282, replacement seals are extremely hard to come by, and aren't available from the dealership anymore. This shouldn't be the case with the 287, although I haven't made an effort to find one.
Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2011 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenDirect Link to This Post
Well, I got started on it today and lost my nerve. Thankfully I had one of those "friend of a friend" things that fell into place. The guy works at AAMCO during the day and does business on the side, and builds up racing things for himself. Very impressive home shop and collection of his own cars. So he said he'd do the tear down and inspection and reassembly for me for a hundred, and advise me on anything that needs to be changed/replaced/upgraded and the costs. He said that he knew guys in modified ecotecs that were putting out huge amounts of power and not breaking the F23. Keeping my fingers crossed that it's all okay.
Kento

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2011 07:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoDirect Link to This Post

Well, I got started on it today and lost my nerve. Thankfully I had one of those "friend of a friend" things that fell into place. The guy works at AAMCO during the day and does business on the side, and builds up racing things for himself. Very impressive home shop and collection of his own cars. So he said he'd do the tear down and inspection and reassembly for me for a hundred, and advise me on anything that needs to be changed/replaced/upgraded and the costs. He said that he knew guys in modified ecotecs that were putting out huge amounts of power and not breaking the F23. Keeping my fingers crossed that it's all okay.

That is good to hear. Both the fact you found a trust worthy person and the fact the power levels it can withstand.
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2011 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
Can't wait to hear and see a perfected write up on this.
mptighe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2011 05:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post
So, who is going to sell a kit for this?
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2011 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbDirect Link to This Post
bump
mera7

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-02-2011 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mera7Send a Private Message to mera7Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by mptighe:

So, who is going to sell a kit for this?

i dont have time to build a commercial kit. maybe someone else here could.
Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2011 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenDirect Link to This Post
I'm still waiting to get my transmission back from the guy doing the tear down. There's no rush on it so I'm not on his case about it. Some Fiero enthusiasts who have a fair amount of experience with 3800 swaps said they'd help me with my swap - but they live about 3 hours away, so if we did get any wrenches thrown in the works, it wouldn't be finished in a weekend, leading to logistics issues.

When I talk to the guy who has my transmission, I'll see if he has any interest in doing the fabrication/mockup/installation. Regardless of who ultimately does it, I'll try to make sure it's as documented as possible and put it all up when it's finished. It's not quite a kit, but it'll be a step in the right direction for the DIY group that doesn't like trial and error.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 11 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock