Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  HD 5 speed will bolt to any 60* motor (3800 2.8 3.4) (Page 10)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 11 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11 
Previous Page | Next Page
HD 5 speed will bolt to any 60* motor (3800 2.8 3.4) by RULOOKIN
Started on: 12-01-2010 09:20 PM
Replies: 407
Last post by: L67 on 10-19-2011 04:45 AM
Trinten

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2011 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenDirect Link to This Post
Those are nice! I had gotten the same things... did you get yours on eBay? They can be snagged pretty inexpensively with a little hunting (and careful reading! I almost bought one kit that was used and missing two critical parts).

IP: Logged
LEEEZARD

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2011 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LEEEZARDSend a Private Message to LEEEZARDDirect Link to This Post

f23 vin4 2002 cav for the bellhousing

f23 2010 cobalt xfe fy1 3.63 final drive

taurus starter mounted like guru's on the trans.
for time and simplicity reasons will be buying a ls1 modded flywheel from guru
made my own f23 to ls2/ls3/ls7/ls9 adapter

[This message has been edited by LEEEZARD (edited 07-21-2011).]

LEEEZARD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2011 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LEEEZARDSend a Private Message to LEEEZARDDirect Link to This Post

LEEEZARD

610 posts
Member since May 2011
also purchased a obx limited slip differential but dont have pics of it, will post them tomorrow or early next wk when i get time. changing all hardware to arp fasteners as i have a sick addiction to arp fasteners lol
Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2011 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenDirect Link to This Post
I've read so much about OBX being hit or miss (multiple threads on guys taking them apart to show where stuff wasn't assembled right), I just bit the bullet and picked up a Quaife. I am jealous though - your trans looks much nicer on the outside than mine did, and the gearing you have, that's the "favored" gearing for highway driving, isn't it?
LEEEZARD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2011 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LEEEZARDSend a Private Message to LEEEZARDDirect Link to This Post
Yes its the favored gearing. since i am running a fairly strong ls v8 the f23 was the only way to go in my opinion

[This message has been edited by LEEEZARD (edited 07-20-2011).]

LEEEZARD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2011 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LEEEZARDSend a Private Message to LEEEZARDDirect Link to This Post

discoloration on last photo is packing cosmolene
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2011 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LEEEZARD:

Yes its the favored gearing. since i am running a fairly strong ls v8 the f23 was the only way to go in my opinion

ok, it about time someone tried this combo.

So where's the build thread.
L67

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 219
User Banned

Report this Post07-21-2011 01:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by nosrac:

A lot more than that is coming.
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2011 02:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by L67:

A lot more than that is coming.

Now I'm scared!!
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2011 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaDirect Link to This Post

ok, it about time someone tried this combo.

YES, so I can copy it next spring.

Rob
katore8105

Feedback score:    (28)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2011 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katore8105Click Here to visit katore8105's HomePageSend a Private Message to katore8105Direct Link to This Post
updates?
PFF
System Bot
Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2011 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenDirect Link to This Post
We ran into what (in hindsight) were small hiccups for doing this swap on an SBC. I don't want to get into details until things are finalized and we're sure the kinks/hiccups are worked out - nor do I want to post anything inaccurate, since I'm not the one doing the work, I'm just the part-time tool gopher.

EMC is planning on doing a very detailed swap thread for it though once it's done and everything is working.
katore8105

Feedback score:    (28)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2011 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katore8105Click Here to visit katore8105's HomePageSend a Private Message to katore8105Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Trinten:

We ran into what (in hindsight) were small hiccups for doing this swap on an SBC. I don't want to get into details until things are finalized and we're sure the kinks/hiccups are worked out - nor do I want to post anything inaccurate, since I'm not the one doing the work, I'm just the part-time tool gopher.

EMC is planning on doing a very detailed swap thread for it though once it's done and everything is working.

That would be nice. I have been picking up the parts to do the swap myself and though I know I can figure it out, it's still nice to see one completed and customize it myself.
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2011 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Trinten:

F23 on a SBC?
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2011 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracDirect Link to This Post

nosrac

3520 posts
Member since Jan 2005

Originally posted by FieroFiend:

My F23 3800 has been done since before this thread was started as mentioned earlier in the thread as far as Im aware, me and Jnco still have the only 2 completed.

As for using the stock F23 cables the problem is they are much to short, and in a Fiero would come at the transmission from the wrong side, if you had a custom set made that was long enough to go all the way around the engine and pull the linkage from the trunk side it would probably work, but also probably not because likely the exhaust is in the way there (atleast on the 3800) This doesnt even take into account the absurd method the F23 cables use to mount to the shifter of an F23 vehicle, the fiero shifter would no longer work without significant modifications or using an f23 shifter which would be likely be to large and tall for the fiero.

The easiest way is to use the two factory Getrag select cables as they are long enough to reach, and I already went over the minor modification at the trans linkage to correct the pattern at the shifter.

For what its worth my higher mileage f23 still laughs at my 3800sc attemps to break it and believe me I abuse it every time I drive it.

What is the 1st 2nd shift like? 282 Getrag or shorter?
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2011 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

What is the 1st 2nd shift like? 282 Getrag or shorter?

I haven't driven in a F23 car, but I do know that a 282 first and second gear drive ratio's are 12.635 and 7.4005 respectively, and the 287 (F23) is 13.7472 and 7.7568 respectively.
L67

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-16-2011 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post

F23 on a SBC?

+ LSD.

-Emc
85sliverGT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2011 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTDirect Link to This Post
Just read through this whole thread and still a bit confused...what clutch/flywheel setup would you need behind a 3800? (with the f23)

[This message has been edited by 85sliverGT (edited 08-16-2011).]

L67

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-16-2011 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post
There is limited clearance inside the bellhousing for the pressure plate. All of the clutches that are used with the old Fiero Getrag (282) will work, but you have to be conscious about how tall the pressure plate is. Different clutch suppliers use different height pressure plates. The smartest thing to do would be to pick out several clutches you like and will meet your needs, and then choose according to which has the shortest pressure plate. Someone here had luck using a standard clutch without paying attention to the height of the pressure plate. Another ordered a specialty pressure plate which turned out to be slim profile, and of course never had a problem. Keep the height of the plate to a minimum and there shouldn't be any problems.

With this SBC swap, the adapter gave us an additional .20" to work with, so I ordered a .29" throwout spacer from SPEC and don't anticipate problems with pressure plate contact.

The day I hand the keys back to Trinten, I'm planning to sit down and submit a very detailed write up. Everything mentioned in this thread and more will be condensed down to a full overview and step by step tutorial.
85sliverGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2011 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTDirect Link to This Post

The day I hand the keys back to Trinten, I'm planning to sit down and submit a very detailed write up. Everything mentioned in this thread and more will be condensed down to a full overview and step by step tutorial.

That would great. Thanks for the info. So would the same machined flywheel that would normally be used on a 282 getrag to 3800 would work? Do you know the thickness of a pressure plate that clears? I have a couple different ones here to check

[This message has been edited by 85sliverGT (edited 08-16-2011).]

L67

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-16-2011 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post
Yes, you would use the Camaro flywheel turned down to .840". I don't know the thicknesses of either pressure plate I mentioned above. I'll tell you that the specialty pressure plate was a SPEC "super clamp" pressure plate on top of a Spec 3+ clutch. You could always call SPEC and ask how tall that pressure plate is.
PFF
System Bot
lonewolf_305

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lonewolf_305Send a Private Message to lonewolf_305Direct Link to This Post
the step by step would be great ty l67
85sliverGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTDirect Link to This Post
Spec tells me the Super-Clamp plate is the same thickness as there other pressure plates for the fiero, so assuming everyones info is accurate, you can use the same clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel as you would with a normal fiero getrag to 3800 conversion.
Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenDirect Link to This Post
I'd strongly suggest you get a measurement from them.

For example:

Clutchnet makes multiple pressure plates for the Fiero. CaptFiero did a rebuild on a duke some months back, and the PP he got from them was too tall and was rubbing the bellhousing (he had taken measurements and gave details on the height/collision issue). He contacted Clutchnet, who sent him a different pressure plate, and it was the proper height.

So there can be pressure plates that will bolt on, but will have clearance issues, even in stock engines! Now from reading L67s post, if you're going to get the superclamp from SPEC, then you should be fine. If not... definitely push for measurements.

[This message has been edited by Trinten (edited 08-17-2011).]

L67

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-29-2011 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post
Still planning to deliver guys. I've been chasing my tail with small engine quirks. Tutorial will come soon.

I was on the road going through the gears a lot last week - what a sweet transmission.
Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2011 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosDirect Link to This Post
That is really looking pretty sweet L67, you say you had it running in the car and jammin gears? I look forward to your full disclosure of the build and what you did and would do again or not. Nice work man. BTW, My wife and I have been REALLY enjoying the Hearts of Space Disks. We listen to them daily now... Hope you are doing well and peace

Pete

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2011 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
Wow, that looks so awesome Paul. I would love to do something like that myself, but I'm more interested in details of getting the F23 to work with the shifter cables, mounting brackets, and clutch(es) with say a 2.8 or 3800.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 08-30-2011).]

Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2011 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenDirect Link to This Post
To my knowledge, the shifter cable and bracket setup will be the same on the 3800 swap.

All of the complications involved with putting it on the V8 dealt with mating/starting issues. So the tutorial should still apply.

Obviously, take this with a grain of salt, L67 will definitely correct it, but it was my understanding based on some of the questions/things he and I talked about.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2011 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
I agree, you're right, but I didn't mean that I didn't want to read about the SBC part, as I certainly do.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 08-30-2011).]

L67

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-30-2011 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pete Matos:BTW, My wife and I have been REALLY enjoying the Hearts of Space Disks. We listen to them daily now... Hope you are doing well and peace

Pete

Thanks Pete. Glad you're both enjoying them, they took a little while to put together. I expect we'll meet at a TN show or RFTH this year. I wasn't "jammin'" gears, but certainly putting it through its paces. It's unbelievably smooth and fun to downshift.. Several times I had to lift off the clutch to be sure I was in reverse, even though I distinctly put it into the right gate. The new clutch pedal feel is worlds ahead of the old because of the self adjusting hydraulic throwout. I'll go into detail soon.

Originally posted by mattwa:
I'm more interested in details of getting the F23 to work with the shifter cables, mounting brackets, and clutch(es) with say a 2.8 or 3800.

It's going to be a no brainer installing it onto either of those engines, or 4.9 etc. I've already taken care of the cable, clutch, and bracket work. More on that later.

[This message has been edited by L67 (edited 08-30-2011).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2011 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

It's a no brainer installing it onto either of those engines. Look up user schmoken, he's using an F23 behind his 2.8. I've already taken care of the cable, clutch, and bracket work. More on that later.

I'm having trouble actually finding an F23 around here, unless I'm freaking blind. But yea I was just curious on the bracket work.
PFF
System Bot
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2011 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Direct Link to This Post
I really wish more of the XFE variants of these transmission were available. I've been actively searching the last few months and they are pretty scarce- I know someone recently acquired one a month or 2 ago here.

XFE F23-
First:
Second:
Third:
Fourth:
Fifth:
Reverse:
Final drive ratio:
3.63:1 (15-in tires)

Stolen from a current thread for comparison:

code:
Early F40              F23                    282(MG2)
1-3.77 1-3.58 1-3.50
2-2.04 2-2.02 2-2.05
3-1.32 3-1.35 3-1.38
4-.95 4-.98 4-0.94
5-.76 5-.69 5-0.72
6-.62
Final Drive 3.55 Final Drive 3.94 Final drive 3.61

[This message has been edited by nitroheadz28 (edited 08-30-2011).]

L67

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-30-2011 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

But yea I was just curious on the bracket work.

To add to what Trinten said, the tutorial will be universal. Any of the engines with the 60* pattern will be a piece of cake. Each chaptered section of the tutorial will be appended to include additional work needed to install the transmission onto engines using a SBC adapter, Archie flywheel, and custom starter/oil routing. Don't buy anything if you're planning to swap soon (like shifter cables), wait for the tutorial, I've got some cool stuff up my sleeve.
JamesCurtis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2011 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JamesCurtisSend a Private Message to JamesCurtisDirect Link to This Post
This is really exciting, I can't wait to put a manual transmission behind my sc3800 and not have to baby it worrying that I will grenade the transmission. I understand the f23 isn't bulletproof, but having a little more room to play will make it A LOT more fun .
rcp builders

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2011 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rcp buildersSend a Private Message to rcp buildersDirect Link to This Post
Nice work, looks great!!!! I think it's time I start looking for one of these. Ray
Axdrenalin

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2011 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AxdrenalinClick Here to visit Axdrenalin's HomePageSend a Private Message to AxdrenalinDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like there's going to be a lot of valuable information in this write up! Looking forward to checking this out!

Robert

To add to what Trinten said, the tutorial will be universal. Any of the engines with the 60* pattern will be a piece of cake. Each chaptered section of the tutorial will be appended to include additional work needed to install the transmission onto engines using a SBC adapter, Archie flywheel, and custom starter/oil routing. Don't buy anything if you're planning to swap soon (like shifter cables), wait for the tutorial, I've got some cool stuff up my sleeve.

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2011 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Direct Link to This Post

Any update for us?

I'd love to see this tutorial, I've got my engine and trans hovering over the cradle, and I'm running into a clearance issue between the rear of the trans case, and the cradle...
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2011 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
I agree, I'm curious about what you did in that build. Any updates?
L67

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-21-2011 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post
The F23 SBC car's been returned and on the road for several weeks now, and I have all of the information in front of me, I've just been too busy to compile it - I stripped a Fiero to the space frame the day after it was picked up, and I'm finishing one of two engine swaps in the past two weeks. I swear I'll get a minute soon. I expect it'll take me 4-6 hours to sit down and write a formal article that's clairvoyant. I just haven't had that time yet. After I finish this swap, I'm putting down the tools permanently, so I'll have lots of free time to do whatever I choose, and the tutorial is the first thing on my list.
Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2011 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenDirect Link to This Post
Yup, it's been great, and I've been gradually increasing how aggressive I get with it. There was one small hiccup that was discovered during the RFTH meet that was last weekend, but I don't think it'll be a major issue to permanently fix - and it is SBC specific, so shouldn't be a concern for the 3800 crowd.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 11 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock