Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  My $50 Paint Job. (Rustoleum. 56k BEWARE) (Page 8)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 
Previous Page | Next Page
My $50 Paint Job. (Rustoleum. 56k BEWARE) by Dudeus
Started on: 04-02-2008 10:09 PM
Replies: 294
Last post by: Docs87gt on 11-23-2010 01:07 PM
Blue87Fiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2009 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Blue87FieroSend a Private Message to Blue87FieroDirect Link to This Post
This is very impressive I was thinking about doing this to my car now but my major question is if I do it can it be painted over with a normal automotive paint or would you have to strip it down to paint it.
IP: Logged
joeveto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2009 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joevetoSend a Private Message to joevetoDirect Link to This Post
I've heard a lot of detractors say the Rustoleum would have to be sanded down to bare surface, before repainting with automotive grade paint. I don't know that to be the case, as I've never tried.

These same folks have said the Rustoleum is impossible to sand and would only cake up. I have found this to be untrue.

They've also said there are no UV inhibitors, so the paint will fade. This is not true.

They've said the paint will chip and look like crap in a short period of time. I've not found this to be true.

I read the criticism, and I get the feeling the folks who are strongly against the Rustoleum, might be the same folks who dished out $2000 to paint a $3000 car.

What's the old saying? "Beware he who doth protest too much?" I say: To each their own. I have a $700 car. I'm not going to spend even half that to re-paint it. Instead, I paid $70 to have a job that is far, far better than Maaco. And I had a blast doing it.

------------------
Spent my days with a woman unkind Smoked my stuff and drank all my wine...

davef

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2009 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davefSend a Private Message to davefDirect Link to This Post
hey interceptor 429. have you heard of the new fiero club? go to southernindianafieros.com it's based in charlestown, in. no i put all my fieros up years ago, and i'm just now starting to mess with them again, two of them run, the other is waiting for warm weather. i've already got a 95 camero 3.4, and a 4t60 transmission and all the fixin's except for the computer (ecm) and trying to figure the vss. so no i haven't been driving any of them for years. my biggest problem is trying to find out what to do with all this old gas! dave
Fosgatecavy98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2009 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post
Close to final results:

Arizona85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2009 02:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arizona85GTSend a Private Message to Arizona85GTDirect Link to This Post
Wow.

I work for Sherwin Williams and always wondered if an Oil Based Enamel would work on a car. With prestine prep work I see that it can be done. We have excellent Oil Based Enamels and can match paint too. I read a post in this thread about color matching and I can say here in AZ the Big Boxes struggle with color matching. We do have excellent oil based enamels but I am pretty skeptical to tell you guys "Hey try this" just in case somehow it came back to haunt me.

One of my painters used our A-100 Exterior Waterbased 100% Acrylic paint on an old paint van that held up pretty decent but chipped very easily cause W/B products don't dry as hard as an oil.

Excellent work guys.

------------------

When you are driving a Fiero everything else is just a BLURRRRRR!

[This message has been edited by Arizona85GT (edited 04-23-2009).]

86stealthfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2009 06:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86stealthfieroSend a Private Message to 86stealthfieroDirect Link to This Post
glad to see the thread hasent died. fosgate your car looks real good if you use clearcoat id would really shine. sorry folks i havent been posting for sometime due to a death in the family and work has been busy the most ive done with the fiero is push it in and out of the shop. but to give a comparison to this paintjob i will use my Subaru as reference i think with a little more prep i t could have been close.

------------------

Fosgatecavy98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2009 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post
Ive already polish/waxed it. Im going to do another wax job on it and keep going with it. Anyone who tries to find the flaws in the sunlight cant stand to look at the white very long so its bright enough. I may redo some of the red later on. Bumper still needs work which is why its still taped.

Overall the red was MUCH easier to find flaws and work with.
86stealthfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2009 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86stealthfieroSend a Private Message to 86stealthfieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fosgatecavy98:

Ive already polish/waxed it. Im going to do another wax job on it and keep going with it. Anyone who tries to find the flaws in the sunlight cant stand to look at the white very long so its bright enough. I may redo some of the red later on. Bumper still needs work which is why its still taped.

Overall the red was MUCH easier to find flaws and work with.

yep yellow is the same way it blinds you.
joeveto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2009 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joevetoSend a Private Message to joevetoDirect Link to This Post
Fosgate, your car's looking really good.

Since doing my car, I was never pleased with the way the passenger front fender turned out. So two weekends ago, I sanded it. Then, just for shits and giggles, I BRUSHED the paint on. At first, with all the stroke marks, I was thinking "oh man..." But then, as the paint dried, they mostly faded.

I followed up with a light wet sand and then a polish with McGuire's. I'll post a picture later. All I can say is it looks fantastic. And to redo the fender only took about an hour total time (prep, laying three coats, sanding, polishing) spread out over 24 hours.
------------------
Spent my days with a woman unkind Smoked my stuff and drank all my wine...

[This message has been edited by joeveto (edited 04-25-2009).]

Fosgatecavy98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2009 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post
I still have alot of small work to be done, but its good from 1 foot away. Just if you catch it at the right angle it looks like it wasnt prepped good (which very well may be the case as Ive never painted before)

Most the areas around the trim needs to be touched up, which I found doing a 50/50 coat dabbing and bringing it up to the level of the paint around it works good, then sand the area, I went about the area of a penny around the spot. I sanded gently and then polished/waxed it and you cant even tell. That is why I like this paint so much, a ding or scratch doesn't require the entire panel to be redone.
86stealthfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2009 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86stealthfieroSend a Private Message to 86stealthfieroDirect Link to This Post
just something to update redid one of the mirrors on the van thought id drop a pic in here.\

------------------

PFF
System Bot
Dan Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2010 03:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dan RoSend a Private Message to Dan RoDirect Link to This Post
So, we can't get any metallic? My friend needs their Mercury Cougars front bumper painted and it is Silver Frost Metallic. Is there a way to then clear coat?
herkdriver

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2010 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for herkdriverSend a Private Message to herkdriverDirect Link to This Post
Wonder if anyone ever painted over rustoleum with "real" automotive urethane paint. I understand-by controlled experiment, that the solvents, hardeners, et al will bubble up enamel and require COMPLETE stripping and priming before repainting.
$50 is great as long as you don't want to change over to urethane.

Just trying to confirm test results.
Arizona85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 02:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arizona85GTSend a Private Message to Arizona85GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dan Ro:

So, we can't get any metallic? My friend needs their Mercury Cougars front bumper painted and it is Silver Frost Metallic. Is there a way to then clear coat?

Not that I am aware of, Oil Based Enamels from every paint store I have been to just has solid colors. If you wanted to spray it look into Krylon, I sell a bunch of Krylone spray cans at my store and we have some Krylon Metallic Spray paints. Probably going to be your best option. Here ya go, check it out and see if it's the right color http://www.amazon.com/Krylo...namels/dp/B000GKAZW2

[This message has been edited by Arizona85GT (edited 07-30-2010).]

Docs87gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2010 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Docs87gtSend a Private Message to Docs87gtDirect Link to This Post
i was curios about this.... so i went out bought a roller, some mineral spirits and some high gloss red enamel paint..but i was afraid to try it on my car so i tried it on my old lap top ,and it doesnt look too good so far, glad i didnt try it on my car but who knows what sanding will bring out
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock