Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  My $50 Paint Job. (Rustoleum. 56k BEWARE) (Page 4)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 
Previous Page | Next Page
My $50 Paint Job. (Rustoleum. 56k BEWARE) by Dudeus
Started on: 04-02-2008 10:09 PM
Replies: 294
Last post by: Docs87gt on 11-23-2010 01:07 PM
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2008 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dudeus:

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Looks great! (although I see you still haven't learned how to compress your images under 100k )

IP: Logged
UCFieroCharger

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2008 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UCFieroChargerSend a Private Message to UCFieroChargerDirect Link to This Post
well, ill be honest, im not a fan of the color combo on the fiero, perhaps a different car, but I still am impressed with how it looks. How shiny is the paint? If you hold a ruler perpendicular to the paint, what is the furthest number out you can read? I remember somewhere that being a way to measure how good the paint looks. Just curious.

On a different note, I was very close to attempting this myself. some guys on my charger forum were doing this about 2 years ago and I have been mulling it over since. this nearly pushed me to do it. but I put a little elbow grease in and buffed my paint out. You wouldnt imagine the oxidation that the compound ate through and is still shiny.

anyways, sorry to hijack the thread there for a sec. props!
Foxy Fiero13

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2008 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Foxy Fiero13Send a Private Message to Foxy Fiero13Direct Link to This Post

i think he's winkin at me!!!

Dudeus

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2008 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DudeusSend a Private Message to DudeusDirect Link to This Post
I think I'll get it eventually Patrick .

Well, its not very shiny right now because I'm waiting for the paint to cure out another week before I polish it. After I do that, I'll do the ruler test and let you know. Personally, I love the color combo. I was gonna do a deep purple or dark navy, but I think that would contradict too much with my black molding, rims, and vents.

And yea, my headlight motor hates me .
Foxy Fiero13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2008 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Foxy Fiero13Send a Private Message to Foxy Fiero13Direct Link to This Post

And yea, my headlight motor hates me .

i think she likes me thats why shes winkin at me
xP
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2008 06:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post

I can't get over how much I love these things!

now thats looking nice i bet you will get a very good glace after polishing .
how about a layer clearcoat to protect the red stripes and get a flat surface?

------------------
1984 Fiero Sport
1987 Fiero
1984 Fiero SE
1999 Chrysler Grand Voyager 3.3 LX LPG

*** nuclear winter cures global warming ***

Dudeus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2008 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DudeusSend a Private Message to DudeusDirect Link to This Post
That should be done tomorrow; and I certainly hope it shines beautifully...
SLOWnSTEADY

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2008 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SLOWnSTEADYSend a Private Message to SLOWnSTEADYDirect Link to This Post
Anyone know if you can do this with metallics? or if they even sell them in the quarts or anyhting... Or is it even possible?

I used a restoluem spray for my DOHC and i would REALLY like to do teh opper portion of the car the same color if possible. (molding down is going to be black, molding up blue)

this is the rustoleum color i got in a can from Menards i would liek to match

Just hoping i can do it this way instead of spending $400 on paint to do it "right" if not i will probably just do the car black : (

Dudeus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2008 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DudeusSend a Private Message to DudeusDirect Link to This Post
You could probably try gloss royal blue, it looks similar...
nismokidd12

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2008 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nismokidd12Send a Private Message to nismokidd12Direct Link to This Post
do they have a dark purple available?
Dudeus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2008 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DudeusSend a Private Message to DudeusDirect Link to This Post
In spray, yes. Not roll on enamel though...
PFF
System Bot
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2008 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotDirect Link to This Post
First of all I would like to say that your GT turned out very very nice looking!

I did this to my Formula last fall and was only able to get the first two coats on it before it became too cold here in Wisconsin to wetsand. I drove her all winter (yup, I dove in the salt and snow and ice) and the paint stayed on incredibly well. No chips, no cracks no problems.

My intentions were to finish it this spring, but I just sold her last weekend so I won't be able to, but I did give the guy that bought it from me the rest of the paint. He is going to complete the job that I started.

Once again, nice paintjob!!
rail

[This message has been edited by railshot (edited 04-20-2008).]

1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2008 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroDirect Link to This Post

I can't get over how much I love these things!

[]

I think I spy 4X4 Chevy Luv Truck! I had one of those. It was a pretty good little truck. Sure took some abuse and kept on going.

Great post BTW. You have done some good work on this thread.
------------------

[This message has been edited by 1MohrFiero (edited 04-20-2008).]

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2008 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Good job! Looks good enough to me, its a lot better than faded paint and pealing clear coat.
Thanks for sharing.
Dudeus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2008 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DudeusSend a Private Message to DudeusDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1MohrFiero:

I think I spy 4X4 Chevy Luv Truck! I had one of those. It was a pretty good little truck. Sure took some abuse and kept on going.

Great post BTW. You have done some good work on this thread.

Yea, thats my project right now , doesn't exactly run right now...

Thanks for the complements! Polishing is happening on Wednesday, I'm stoked.
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2008 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post
lalalalala

now i need to wait untill i can polish it . how long have you waited dudeus ?

Foxy Fiero13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2008 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Foxy Fiero13Send a Private Message to Foxy Fiero13Direct Link to This Post
looks like you painted your wheels too lol
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2008 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Foxy Fiero13:

looks like you painted your wheels too lol

hmm nope , its from the sanding between each layer its easy to wash away
Dudeus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2008 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DudeusSend a Private Message to DudeusDirect Link to This Post
Lookin good maniac, I've waited two weeks for my paint to cure.
DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2008 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Direct Link to This Post
update?
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2008 03:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post
put the car together , now waiting till i can wetsand and polish it

[This message has been edited by Fieromaniac (edited 04-27-2008).]

PFF
System Bot
Dudeus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2008 03:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DudeusSend a Private Message to DudeusDirect Link to This Post
Why no love for the mirrors?

Pics will be tomorrow night, I've got a Fiero meet tomorrow, and was waiting to polish it .
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2008 04:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post

Why no love for the mirrors?

Pics will be tomorrow night, I've got a Fiero meet tomorrow, and was waiting to polish it .

he wants them black

but i played around with photoshop fo some decals

Dudeus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2008 04:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DudeusSend a Private Message to DudeusDirect Link to This Post
Who is he?
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2008 07:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post
He = the owner of the car ( guy in 2nd photo )
fierofetish

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post04-27-2008 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
I think you guys have done a BRILLIANT job!! I would think you are very pleased with yourselves....and so you should be!!
WELL DONE!!
Nick
Fieroracer87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2008 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fieroracer87Send a Private Message to Fieroracer87Direct Link to This Post
I'm looking forward to doing this also this summer...The cars look great.
bomaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2008 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bomazeSend a Private Message to bomazeDirect Link to This Post
Very nice job on the cars! It shows that if you take your time and use some patience that you can have very good results. Plus the money you save you can use it for other toys on the car.
troyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2008 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieromaniac:

he wants them black

but i played around with photoshop fo some decals

Looks good, love the color. PM sent
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2008 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by troyboy:

Looks good, love the color. PM sent

PM System doesnt work for me
Fieroracer87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2008 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fieroracer87Send a Private Message to Fieroracer87Direct Link to This Post
well i got bored today so i started working on my two-tone $50 paint job....so far i've sanded only the front end with the 80..but i'm taking my time with the sanding cuz i want it to be good...the good thing about it was someone stopped when they saw me sanding and i find out that he has a 84 in really decent condition sitting under a car cover in a backyard a few blocks away from me...looks like a potential purchase
PFF
System Bot
Dudeus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2008 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DudeusSend a Private Message to DudeusDirect Link to This Post
Indy?
Fieroracer87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2008 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fieroracer87Send a Private Message to Fieroracer87Direct Link to This Post
all i know is that he bought it from a lady for a drink and 300dollars....what the odds
heybjorn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2008 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieroracer87:

. . . bought it from a lady for a drink and 300dollars....

Aren't there laws about that sort of thing?

Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2008 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
Just curious if anything was added to the paint to keep it from flashing??

We use Rustoleum/etc fairly extensively at work and the paint always seems to lose it shine after a few months - and this is in an indoor enviroment, never mind an outdoor one where the paint is exposed to UV rays/etc.

Interested in the long term looks...
troyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2008 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieromaniac:

PM System doesnt work for me
copy of PM
I need your help. I need two parts for my car that come from Germany but I can't find it in stock in the USA. the only place I found will not ship outside of Europe

It's two kinds of grill mesh from Kamie 44209 sport grill, and 41110
this place had one of them on eBay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBay...0044554312%26fvi%3D1

I need someone from Germany to ship to the usa

Fieroracer87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2008 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fieroracer87Send a Private Message to Fieroracer87Direct Link to This Post
well bought my air sander home from work so at like 9am today i'll try to knock some more of the initial sanding out of the way....gotta keep up with my july deadline for having it back on the road..by then i should have 100 posts and be worthy of creating a good signature pic
Fierotaz

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2008 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierotazSend a Private Message to FierotazDirect Link to This Post
Dudeus,
Any pic's of the car polished?
86stealthfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2009 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86stealthfieroSend a Private Message to 86stealthfieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierotaz:

Dudeus,
Any pic's of the car polished?

im curious to see as well a friend of mine wants to try this. ive only applied rustoleum to tractors and had ok results but ive never done this.
americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2009 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
it looks good in person

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem
Fiero's are people too. We pay just as much attention to them, if not more than our loved ones
My Fiero Fuel Economy
Videos of My GT
Google Videos of My GT

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay