Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  My $50 Paint Job. (Rustoleum. 56k BEWARE) (Page 7)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 
Previous Page | Next Page
My $50 Paint Job. (Rustoleum. 56k BEWARE) by Dudeus
Started on: 04-02-2008 10:09 PM
Replies: 294
Last post by: Docs87gt on 11-23-2010 01:07 PM
86stealthfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2009 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86stealthfieroSend a Private Message to 86stealthfieroDirect Link to This Post
oh i got bored today and am repainting an old decklid from my 86 so ill post pictures in a few . let me say this much yellow is the hardest paint to perfect 2 coats of the black on the decklid and it looks good. must be something with yellow

------------------

IP: Logged
Fosgatecavy98

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2009 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post
Well I thought I was done with the red, it turned out ok overall but I went to take the tape off and i realized i over taped portions where it should of been red. Then on a few areas where the paint came off with the tape The tape seemed to of glued itself to areas of the trim piece, idk if this is from just so much paint soaking into it or what.

Im going to try and just paint the areas that were messed up and see how that goes, otherwise I might as well buy another quart of paint to repaint 3 panels... grr
86stealthfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2009 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86stealthfieroSend a Private Message to 86stealthfieroDirect Link to This Post
i had the same problem with the tape and trim it sucks donkey kong.
Fosgatecavy98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2009 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86stealthfiero:

i had the same problem with the tape and trim it sucks donkey kong.

what was ur fix?
NickDrivesAFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2009 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NickDrivesAFieroClick Here to visit NickDrivesAFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to NickDrivesAFieroDirect Link to This Post
so when your taping your lines that go down your car, did you have any problems with the lines not being flush with the rest of your paint? did buffing take them out?
Fosgatecavy98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2009 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by NickDrivesAFiero:

so when your taping your lines that go down your car, did you have any problems with the lines not being flush with the rest of your paint? did buffing take them out?

I dont think I understand what you mean.

I had issues taping under the trim that goes aroudn the car, I stuck the tape so well under it, I had a hell of a time getting it out, it was ripping and tearing in 2 and leaving small portions on the car. In a few places it took the rustoleum right off the car, thats my problem so far.
86stealthfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2009 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86stealthfieroSend a Private Message to 86stealthfieroDirect Link to This Post
yeah the previous posted left me scratching my hairy chin chin. its a tedious process but i just used the blad of a razer its about all i could find to really work if it ticks me off too much they just will get repainted. as for lines in your paint thats an indacation your pressing the roller to hard, use the weight of the roller only and just roll the paint on. cover your whhels and trim and your windows etc and go to town.
Fosgatecavy98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2009 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post
What did you do where the tape took your paint off?
86stealthfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2009 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86stealthfieroSend a Private Message to 86stealthfieroDirect Link to This Post
do you mean of of a panel or paint off of the trim

------------------

Fosgatecavy98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2009 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post

do you mean of of a panel or paint off of the trim

Off the panel.
86stealthfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2009 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86stealthfieroSend a Private Message to 86stealthfieroDirect Link to This Post
just use one of the foam brushs and you could touch up s specific area i have alot of coats on my car so dident run into it
PFF
System Bot
Fosgatecavy98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2009 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post
What I did was use the brush to fill it in, and a non 'loaded' roller to get rid of the excess, it filled it in great and I dont think you can even tell I did it!
Fosgatecavy98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2009 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post

Fosgatecavy98

2969 posts
Member since Jul 2005
update,

red is almost completed, one fender needs another set of coats, front bumper still needs to get painted. I waited on it to see if I could get ahold of a different bumper, but never found one I liked. White paint still needs to go on but I still got a lot of sanding to do.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
(I didnt notice that rag in the intake hole until I caught a glimpse of it from the camera flash!)

Shaved the pesky antenna.... PITA with a car cover on it
86stealthfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2009 05:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86stealthfieroSend a Private Message to 86stealthfieroDirect Link to This Post
hey thats looking spiffy i still have work to do on mine been sidetracked with completly redoing the shop.
86stealthfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2009 04:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86stealthfieroSend a Private Message to 86stealthfieroDirect Link to This Post
well ive noticed that with the darker colors the gloss really stands out. good job i did an old lid in black in its looks great yellow must be one of them colors that because its so bright you dont notice the clear lik you do with darker colors.
725franky

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2009 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 725frankySend a Private Message to 725frankyDirect Link to This Post
So, has anyone tried painting a standard automotive clear coat over the rustoleum?

So far the general consensus of things that I've read on the subject say that it's not possible to paint ANY "normal" automotive paint over rustoleum.

I'm curious to know / see what the real world results are though.

It seems like the bigest complaint I've found about rustoleum is that it doesn't have enough UV protection ....a good clear coat would fix that.

-Frank
telefragg3d

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2009 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for telefragg3dSend a Private Message to telefragg3dDirect Link to This Post
just saw this thread! all of it looks awesome! i'm definitely going to do this with my car down the road. after all the fiberglass work of course.
86stealthfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2009 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86stealthfieroSend a Private Message to 86stealthfieroDirect Link to This Post
well i have painte over rustoleum with automotive paint its a pain to sand but its been done my van is an example. as far as the clear i havent tried it yet but im really considering it because it seems with m car (yellow) i don't have the reflection like black or red. as far as uv protection no problems to date and the original person who did this says his cars look the same as they did the day he did them. i don't know how well it would work but i used spar urethane on a spare panel in the garage and it looks good and i guess since the panel is yellow as well even if it yellows who can tell.

------------------

86stealthfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2009 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86stealthfieroSend a Private Message to 86stealthfieroDirect Link to This Post
well todays update. it was almost 60 degrees and i decided to buff and polich the paint. i still think it needs some kind of clear coat im going to try some other methods but im not sure what else i can do to really get the shine. if anyone has any other ideas or hints id like to hear them. other than that any thoughts?

------------------

Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2009 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Direct Link to This Post

well todays update. it was almost 60 degrees and i decided to buff and polich the paint. i still think it needs some kind of clear coat im going to try some other methods but im not sure what else i can do to really get the shine. if anyone has any other ideas or hints id like to hear them. other than that any thoughts?

I've seen clear coat in different kinds of paint - other than true automotive paint - in rattle cans. I've got some in Rustoleum brand (hasn't melted or otherwise reacted bad with regular rust paints) and I saw some acrylic enamel clear coat at Rona (they're like a Canadian Lowes). So yes, there are options that will not destory your new paint job.

Edit for a link:
http://www.rustoleum.com/pr...product_id=548&SBL=5

[This message has been edited by Stubby79 (edited 03-05-2009).]

86stealthfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2009 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86stealthfieroSend a Private Message to 86stealthfieroDirect Link to This Post
yeah im worried about using rattle can stuff if i could get something and thin it out id do that or i can invest in the clear dupli color at autozone or something and spray it.if i would have set up a booth the paint would have been alot better i have a few hairs here and there.
PFF
System Bot
Fosgatecavy98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2009 03:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post
Well just an update on mine, I started with the white, and let me tell you, I messed up! The mix was really thin, more than I thought and that killed it. I had bubbles that never cleared and areas that had ran so there was no coverage in some areas, just a huge mess, luckily it was the first coat so im working on sanding it all off and redoing it.

The red has turned out amazing I must say, I really love it.
86stealthfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2009 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86stealthfieroSend a Private Message to 86stealthfieroDirect Link to This Post
well i tried some spar urethane on a spare panel and wow what a difference that made. so i got a question im thinking of painting my daily driver its a white 96 voyager should i repaint it white or paint it black any ideas. heres a current pic.

------------------

86stealthfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2009 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86stealthfieroSend a Private Message to 86stealthfieroDirect Link to This Post
bumpity bump
joeveto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2009 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joevetoSend a Private Message to joevetoDirect Link to This Post
White.

------------------
Spent my days with a woman unkind Smoked my stuff and drank all my wine...

86stealthfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2009 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86stealthfieroSend a Private Message to 86stealthfieroDirect Link to This Post
yeah i found just repainting the same color was alot less time consuming.
86fierofun

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2009 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunDirect Link to This Post
the paint looks fine on the van.....
86stealthfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2009 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86stealthfieroSend a Private Message to 86stealthfieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86fierofun:

the paint looks fine on the van.....

yeah i repainted last year and i had thought maybe go with another color
86stealthfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2009 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86stealthfieroSend a Private Message to 86stealthfieroDirect Link to This Post

86stealthfiero

667 posts
Member since Aug 2008
todays update with clear! im quite impressed and it looks better than the pic really shows

should i paint the molding or leave it black?

[This message has been edited by 86stealthfiero (edited 03-10-2009).]

joeveto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2009 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joevetoSend a Private Message to joevetoDirect Link to This Post
What clear did you use and how did you apply it?

------------------
Spent my days with a woman unkind Smoked my stuff and drank all my wine...

86stealthfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2009 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86stealthfieroSend a Private Message to 86stealthfieroDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by 86stealthfiero (edited 03-11-2009).]

PFF
System Bot
Fosgatecavy98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2009 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post
I'll throw my update in now,

but I switched my white paint over to the professional series white (same color) and first thing I noticed was it takes much longer to dry. Almost 2x as long, normally it was 20 hours and it was completely dry. Now it would be in the 35-40 hour range.I also found it to be less 'tacky' for longer as well. Only reason I did it was the wal-mart sold it in a gallon can for 26 or 8.xx for a quart.

I'll post some pictures, i will be putting the 2nd coat on tomorrow morning. Looking good and I am pretty happy although I have one issue that I will psot pictures of it up.
Fosgatecavy98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2009 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post

Fosgatecavy98

2969 posts
Member since Jul 2005
Eh here are the update pictures....

heres the problem:

The circle area shows a 'rough spot' I can see these when I am rolling but sometimes they dont go away and creates problems when I wet sand as well. Any suggestions? They are erratic when they come up, Im not sure what causes them or anything.

More pictures:
First coat, no wetsanding or anything done yet.

86stealthfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2009 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86stealthfieroSend a Private Message to 86stealthfieroDirect Link to This Post
looks good so far spots like those i just added a little more coverage or pushed on the roller a little. how much wetsanding did you do? i think white is a good color i found that white an black are the easiest colors to apply whereas yellow and red seemed more difficult mainly because it shows where there is areas that stil need work. next time i do this i will remove the molding i think with the molding removed the job looks better.

------------------

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2009 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
same question

Originally posted by joeveto:

What clear did you use and how did you apply it?

Fosgatecavy98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2009 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post

looks good so far spots like those i just added a little more coverage or pushed on the roller a little. how much wetsanding did you do? i think white is a good color i found that white an black are the easiest colors to apply whereas yellow and red seemed more difficult mainly because it shows where there is areas that stil need work. next time i do this i will remove the molding i think with the molding removed the job looks better.

No wetsanding at that point.
86stealthfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2009 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86stealthfieroSend a Private Message to 86stealthfieroDirect Link to This Post
bump for the day weather was nice enough to cook out and experiment with yet another project im not finished but i think i have figured out how to refinish my tailights and eliminate the delamination or better said cover it up.
davef

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2009 04:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for davefSend a Private Message to davefDirect Link to This Post
anything more to add?
interceptor429

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2009 06:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for interceptor429Send a Private Message to interceptor429Direct Link to This Post
yes updates ,what clear and how did you apply it,and hey davef do you have a dark red and silver gt?..i used to work at gallager station power plant there....and seen a couple of fieros around that area

[This message has been edited by interceptor429 (edited 03-24-2009).]

Fosgatecavy98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2009 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post
Actually I got mine pulled out in the outside. OMG its simply amazing how awesome this paint has came out. Even the areas where I havent wet sanded yet, it looks gorgeous from a foot back.

I'll post some pictures up once we get sun back here in MI
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock