Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  My $50 Paint Job. (Rustoleum. 56k BEWARE) (Page 3)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 
Previous Page | Next Page
My $50 Paint Job. (Rustoleum. 56k BEWARE) by Dudeus
Started on: 04-02-2008 10:09 PM
Replies: 294
Last post by: Docs87gt on 11-23-2010 01:07 PM
kyp

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kypSend a Private Message to kypDirect Link to This Post
its a cf hood that i had left over from my 1st crx. lol you have no idea how much crap my dad's friends give me for driving a jap peice of crap as they put it. but i sit back knowing that once my little lotus is done that i can blow that doors off them.

edit i own pg 3

[This message has been edited by kyp (edited 04-09-2008).]

IP: Logged
Dudeus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DudeusSend a Private Message to DudeusDirect Link to This Post
Lotus? Pics.
Btw, I own this thread
Miach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MiachClick Here to visit Miach's HomePageSend a Private Message to MiachDirect Link to This Post
Yes Yes Lotus Pix NOW! Wow I seem to be getting bossy.
heybjorn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornDirect Link to This Post
Foxy Fiero13

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Foxy Fiero13Send a Private Message to Foxy Fiero13Direct Link to This Post
started painting my spoiler and wing stands today! yay!!!

here is the FIRST COAT!!!

NOTE: ITS ONLY THE FIRST COAT SO DONT TALK CRAP!

[This message has been edited by Foxy Fiero13 (edited 04-09-2008).]

kyp

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kypSend a Private Message to kypDirect Link to This Post
lol well it aint much to look at right now but ill post the pics that i have i havent started working on it since the weather hasnt been nice and school/work has taken up to much time. it was my birthday present.

there it is in all its glory the frame is lying next to it. i cant wait. it is going to be 3800sc powered ive been stocking up on parts for the swap
Miach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MiachClick Here to visit Miach's HomePageSend a Private Message to MiachDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by heybjorn:

Was that agree for the pix or me being bossy? LoL I'm just messing with ya.

Originally posted by Foxy Fiero13:

NOTE: ITS ONLY THE FIRST COAT SO DONT TALK CRAP!

LoL the first coat always looks like crap. We are here to learn and see what others are doing. Your first coat looks as good as it should. Good work!

Originally posted by kyp:

there it is in all its glory the frame is lying next to it. i cant wait. it is going to be 3800sc powered ive been stocking up on parts for the swap

I think I can image it, just kinda hard when its all boxed up LoL, keep us posted please. I'm a huge Lotus fan!
Dudeus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DudeusSend a Private Message to DudeusDirect Link to This Post
Here she is pre-buff and pre-stripe but post-8th coat. (sorry I'm in the way )

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Now heres the test-stripe on the bottom of the spoiler...

And the cheap stuff I used...

Dudeus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DudeusSend a Private Message to DudeusDirect Link to This Post

Dudeus

265 posts
Member since Sep 2007
And my calipers are now yellow!!!
86_fiero_gt_92

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86_fiero_gt_92Send a Private Message to 86_fiero_gt_92Direct Link to This Post
wow that looks good, cant wait to see the stripe
Curlrup

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dudeus:

What year/kind of stang? Is that your dd or is your Fiero?

8th coat pics will be uploaded momentarily. Btw, that Honda looks pretty good.

2003 3.8 V6 Green. It is my other weekend fun car and my wife's daily driver. My Fiero is my primary weekend fun car, and my daily driver. From all of the paint chips onmy nose from driving 169 lately it shows that it's a daily driver.

PFF
System Bot
Dudeus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DudeusSend a Private Message to DudeusDirect Link to This Post
I take 169 to the Creek daily out to Riverside (school). I'll look for you day to day, I must say, my cars pretty easy to spot . We just got a house at 71st and Yale (in the background). Its huge, I'm stoked.

Uhh, I learned something today... I forgot to wetsand the spoiler, so whenever I peeled off the tape sheets of paint came off with it... Nonetheless, these pics kinda give you an idea of how it'll look.

CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2008 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootDirect Link to This Post
Dudeus....that is really lookin good. I have to admit I was a skeptic as well at first, but I had the common courtesy to keep my mouth shut until final results were in.....and then if it didn't turn out I would have had the courtesy to let the results speak for me. I give you lots of credit not so much for attempting this....but for having the balls to post about it before you knew the final results...knowing you would get some comments like GT Quick's.

The photos make it look just as good as any professionally painted yellow Fiero....I do hope it looks that good in real life as well. I also hope you will be at the 25th so I can see this in person. With all the work you have put into this, you deserve the opportunity to say "I told ya so" to all the skeptics.

I still worry about how well it will hold up, especially considering the flexible body panels on the Fiero. Until I hear otherwise, I assume it will crack the first time someone leans against a front fender. I hope I am wrong.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2008 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
It's looking great! If it had two back wheels on one side, I'd swear it was an 88.

I was skeptical too at first, until I found some pics of an AE86 a guy did in red, with some high-quality close-up shots. I've done enough model cars now I'm pretty confident in my polishing skills. If it EVER warms up around here, I'm going to start with my front bumper, since it can't look any worse, it had a car bra when I bought it and the whole nose it a couple shades off the rest of the car.

Be sure to post the post-polishing pics!

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

Dudeus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2008 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DudeusSend a Private Message to DudeusDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CowsPatoot:

Dudeus....that is really lookin good. I have to admit I was a skeptic as well at first, but I had the common courtesy to keep my mouth shut until final results were in.....and then if it didn't turn out I would have had the courtesy to let the results speak for me. I give you lots of credit not so much for attempting this....but for having the balls to post about it before you knew the final results...knowing you would get some comments like GT Quick's.

The photos make it look just as good as any professionally painted yellow Fiero....I do hope it looks that good in real life as well. I also hope you will be at the 25th so I can see this in person. With all the work you have put into this, you deserve the opportunity to say "I told ya so" to all the skeptics.

I still worry about how well it will hold up, especially considering the flexible body panels on the Fiero. Until I hear otherwise, I assume it will crack the first time someone leans against a front fender. I hope I am wrong.

The reason it won't crack is because its layed on in many thin thin layers, thus allowing the paint to "flex" with the body panel. Everyone whos seen it in person swears its a "real" paintjob. I love it .

Btw, the 25th?

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

It's looking great! If it had two back wheels on one side, I'd swear it was an 88.

I was skeptical too at first, until I found some pics of an AE86 a guy did in red, with some high-quality close-up shots. I've done enough model cars now I'm pretty confident in my polishing skills. If it EVER warms up around here, I'm going to start with my front bumper, since it can't look any worse, it had a car bra when I bought it and the whole nose it a couple shades off the rest of the car.

Be sure to post the post-polishing pics!

I'll be sure to. Glad to hear you're givin it a shot.
Fiero 25 - Mark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2008 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero 25 - MarkClick Here to visit Fiero 25 - Mark's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero 25 - MarkDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dudeus:
Btw, the 25th?

www.michiganfieroclub.com/25th

------------------
Are You Going to the 25th Anniversary Show?

Official 25th Web Page

25th Registration Form

Fiero 25 - Mark (AKA: Wingnut - MD)

Dudeus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2008 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DudeusSend a Private Message to DudeusDirect Link to This Post
I'll see what I can do...
UCFieroCharger

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2008 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UCFieroChargerSend a Private Message to UCFieroChargerDirect Link to This Post
a tip for when you mask off to put stripes/two tones, etc on:

If you spray a light coat of clear over top of the tape, it will seal everything up and keep paint from bleeding under the masked areas.
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post04-11-2008 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by JazzMan (edited 04-21-2009).]

fiero67

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 107
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2008 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero67Send a Private Message to fiero67Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by UCFieroCharger:

a tip for when you mask off to put stripes/two tones, etc on:

If you spray a light coat of clear over top of the tape, it will seal everything up and keep paint from bleeding under the masked areas.

That is great advice..a "+" for you.

Dudeus: I think your paint came out alright !!
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2008 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:

For body supplies I prefer to go to http://www.autobodytoolmart.com as their prices and service are pretty much the best I've found.

I didn't look over the site vary well, this hammer and dolly set is exactly what I've bought locally for $20 http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/p-11665-14367.aspx
But I did find a good price on this http://www.autobodytoolmart...d-removing-tool.aspx
PFF
System Bot
MordacP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2008 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MordacPSend a Private Message to MordacPDirect Link to This Post
bump
Dudeus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2008 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DudeusSend a Private Message to DudeusDirect Link to This Post
No real updates, just that I've been driving it for the past week and the paint looks great still (no chipping, as I was afraid of because the paint may still be soft)
Foxy Fiero13

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2008 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Foxy Fiero13Send a Private Message to Foxy Fiero13Direct Link to This Post
just applied the 2nd coat to my spoiler and the 4th to the wing stands gonna take pics in the morning
Curlrup

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2008 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupDirect Link to This Post
I miss GT Quick on this thread.....................just kidding hehehehehehehe. Dudeus how are the stripes coming???
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2008 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post
got the 3rd layer onto the front of the car . ( Doors , Quarterpanels ,bumpers and rear decklid are already painted and need to be mounted )

btw my PM system isnt working so i answer here

Color is Signal Orange ( RAL2010 ) , High Glossy .
Brand is , dont laugh "Schöner Wohnen" = "nicer living" for outdoor applications
its DurAcryl ,resistant to mechanical influences and UV stable

------------------
1984 Fiero Sport
1987 Fiero
1984 Fiero SE
1999 Chrysler Grand Voyager 3.3 LX LPG

*** nuclear winter cures global warming ***

86fierofun

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2008 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunDirect Link to This Post
That color looks nice!

heybjorn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2008 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornDirect Link to This Post
Fieromaniac, good looking work.
MordacP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2008 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MordacPSend a Private Message to MordacPDirect Link to This Post
That is a nice color, fieromaniac.

i was looking over my own fiero the other day and I was wondering how you guys get the paint out of the PONTIAC on the driver side headlight cover. Can you fold the sand paper enough to get it in there?

------------------

Dudeus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2008 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DudeusSend a Private Message to DudeusDirect Link to This Post
Truthfully, I couldn't. I just paint over it, and my detail brush gets it in there. You can paint the car over your paint without sanding. It sticks, just doesn't look as good... And the Pontiac letters aren't exactly where everyones gonna be looking .

Btw, I get a lot of compliments from the ladies now .
And maniac, lookin good!

[This message has been edited by Dudeus (edited 04-15-2008).]

Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2008 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post
just clean the "PONTIAC" Letters carefully with silicon remover like i cleaned every part with it before painting.

btw. the paint i used stays flexible i tried with an 2 month old dryed piece of that paint ant it wont crack so its not bad for the flexing cars
I guess that the paint will stay soft compared to a modern 2k spray paint but it doesnt matter because Fieros only get handcare!!!! (at least by me )
handwash and handpolish

------------------
1984 Fiero Sport
1987 Fiero
1984 Fiero SE
1999 Chrysler Grand Voyager 3.3 LX LPG

*** nuclear winter cures global warming ***

PFF
System Bot
BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2008 05:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post
Leafy- gorgeous CRX, one of my fav cars (i got a thing for 2 seaters..) not riced out.. just nice, clean, and quick.

everyone else.. glad to see this picking up steam again.. i guess it was kinda our lil duke that killed the last thread..

dudeus.. lemme see the striping already!
Dudeus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2008 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DudeusSend a Private Message to DudeusDirect Link to This Post
Well, after a long day the stripes are on, but sadly I didn't have my camera at the garage (different house) and its too dark outside, but they'll be up about 3 tomorrow. It looks GREAT!
hurricanefloyd41

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2008 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hurricanefloyd41Send a Private Message to hurricanefloyd41Direct Link to This Post
Hey its looking real good guys I love the orange, I want to paint mine hugger orange...too bad Rustoleum doesn't have that color...cant wait to see those stripes. keep up the good work
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2008 05:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieromaniac:

What's this trend of painting Fieros orange?
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2008 07:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:

dont ask me , its not my Car and in my opinion orange looks like the city waste cars or traffic department cars they have the same color here
but any color is an improvement compared to the "paint" it had before

heybjorn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2008 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:

Homage to Tony Stewart?

Easier to see and , we hope, avoid?

Orange is on sale because because the ricers won't use it?
Dudeus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2008 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DudeusSend a Private Message to DudeusDirect Link to This Post
I can't get over how much I love these things!

BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2008 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post
WOW! that turned out REALLY nice! i normally dont like GT's without a wing, but the stripe adds the perfect touch.. good job!
Loops87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2008 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Loops87GTSend a Private Message to Loops87GTDirect Link to This Post
I wish i could see the work in person! from the pics it looks like any other paint job...you make me want to attempt it, about how many cans of paint have you used so far?

------------------
-------------------------------------------------------
"what can i do to my car next?"

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay