Side Pipes by engine man
Started on: 04-18-2010 09:13 AM
Replies: 38
Last post by: Nurb432 on 04-19-2010 05:21 PM
engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
Has any of you put side pipes on a fiero i know that you would need to run the exhaust forward to make them work but i am wondering how it would look on a GT
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofrenzy

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyDirect Link to This Post
Dude.....DON'T DO IT ! With all due respect to you, it will look rediculous....
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
did i say i was going to do it nope not till i see what it would look like need some one to photo shop some on a car
Old Lar

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
Chris Munson ran side pipes on his car. They were loud and they would melt the rocker panels. He removed them. Somewhere I have photos of his set up, if you want them.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post04-18-2010 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Old Lar:

Chris Munson ran side pipes on his car. They were loud and they would melt the rocker panels. He removed them. Somewhere I have photos of his set up, if you want them.

It wouldn't look good to me, but i suppose one could put a set of fake ones on there to avoid the melting plastic problem.
Bump

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BumpSend a Private Message to BumpDirect Link to This Post
I have seen issues with side pipes in the past continuously covering the rear wheels in exhaust soot. (diesel, but if your car brns oil....)
Given the right clearance, shouldnt melt the rockers. They are right under a plastic bumper right now... I would think that two small rectangular tips sitting flush with the rocker panel would look good. I would try to modify the panels so that the tips could be recessed up into the rockers so that the bottom of the tips are flush with the bottom of the panel as well. cover the unseen things with heat tape and then make a nice s. st. trim piece to protect the outter plastic and should look good, IMO.

Would also have to replace rear bumper cover with a custom one too since the exhaust cut outs will look goofy with out tips in them.

I am FAR from a photo chop expert and this is just my quick 5 minute rendering in "paint" while im supposed to be working...
Note the chrome rectangular tips flush mounted in the rocker panels, stainless steel trim panel (with small rivets holding it on), and the shaved rear bumper.

I have another idea that would be easier too, but outta time for now. Put the same thing or similar in the side of the rear bumper.

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
So you think a Fiero has too much ground clearance and needs 20 FEET worth of exhaust pipe hanging under it?

Well, guess what - someone else has already thought of this "new" idea. Basically we think it's not worakable.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...010418-2-005765.html
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...031110-2-038107.html
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...050818-1-049242.html

Here's a photoshop someone cooked up.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 04-18-2010).]

RickN

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RickNSend a Private Message to RickNDirect Link to This Post
I think they have always looked good on various cars when designed into the car (not just hung from the bottom of the car) and would look good on the Fiero. My dislike for them is them is the sound, I don't like the sound due to the outlets being separated by the car. 4 cylinders popping per side is bad enough, 3 cylinders per side would have to be worse.

Originally posted by fierosound:

Well, it would have to be done tastefully, this is not! The pipe would have to be designed into the area where the lower aero trim is now located. ...and a first aide kit would have to be kept handy to treat the frequent leg burns.

------------------
RickN
White 88GT 5spd (<10K miles)
White 85GT (SC3800 Series II w/ AOD)
White 99 F250SD 7.3PSD 6spd
1956 Ford 860 Tractor w/ Freeman Loader
20Ft H&H Tilt Bed Trailer

[This message has been edited by RickN (edited 04-18-2010).]

Bump

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BumpSend a Private Message to BumpDirect Link to This Post
If thats what you were thinking of side pipes, I guess I was off. That picture is really ugly and yes would add quite a bit of extra pipe!

I was thinking side exit of current system. Would only re-route and would add minimal materials. Not like the fiero is running 3" tubes anyway!

[This message has been edited by Bump (edited 04-18-2010).]

Hockaday

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
side pipes would look great but I think it would hurt your performance due to the ram air intakes. Not 100% positive though and with drag it might not matter at all.

------------------
Cliff's 610th Positive Feedback Giver.
#12 NYFOC Membe

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Thats about the only thing you could do and have it look right. To far back and its going to look fake to war forward and its going to look retarded. And also most state DOT regulations state the the exaust of the car must exit from behind the rear wheels for road use and beleave me if your cops are anything like my cops you will get pulled over cited and instructed to remove them.

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RickN:

Well, it would have to be done tastefully, this is not! The pipe would have to be designed into the area where the lower aero trim is now located. ...and a first aide kit would have to be kept handy to treat the frequent leg burns.

Was the OP talking side pipes as in the photoshopped picture I posted or a side EXIT exhaust as in the pic posted by IMSA GT?? I guess it's not clear...

I had side pipes years ago on my Barracuda. No leg burns - they're insulated and/or have a heat shield to prevent burns if you accidentally lean on them.

With the Fiero the engine coolant pipes are behind the aero trim, so tucking the side pipes in tighter would be difficult if not impossible. The BIG problem is bringing the exhaust to the front of the car, and doing a 180 degree turn into the side pipes behind the wheelwell. Basically not very doable. Side pipes are geared for front engines cars like Cobra, Corvette etc. where it makes more sense with the engine layout.

Dumb idea. Everybody would look at the side pipes and say "Hey, wait a minute. Isn't the engine in the BACK of the car????"

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 04-18-2010).]

twofatguys

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofrenzy:

Dude.....DON'T DO IT ! With all due respect to you, it will look rediculous....

That right there makes me want to try it.

Brad
Bump

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BumpSend a Private Message to BumpDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bump:

I can see someone saying the full side pipe looks rediculous, but I cant imagine why anyone wouldn't like this...
Would be easy too, just re-route the piping out of the stock muffler infront of the tires. Its a poor photo chop, but I like the way it looks...
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
I like what Imsa GT and Bump posted just it's exit in front of the rear tire and no long pipe down the side of the car

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 04-18-2010).]

faaaaq

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for faaaaqSend a Private Message to faaaaqDirect Link to This Post

I can see someone saying the full side pipe looks rediculous, but I cant imagine why anyone wouldn't like this...
Would be easy too, just re-route the piping out of the stock muffler infront of the tires. Its a poor photo chop, but I like the way it looks...

even i have seen more than one person with side outlets for the exhaust on a fiero.

and as far as the true side-pipe look, if thats what is desired it is an easy solution... build a fake set of sidepipes, and have the exhaust just come straight out the side lining up with the tip of the fake sidepipe. would look like it was a real sidepipe, but would sound normal and save the trouble of putting all the extra piping in
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
WEST COAST FIERO

------------------

"Friends don't let their friends drive stock."

Fosgatecavy98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post
^ That car is just plain bad ass,

I asked about this before. Im just debating on what to do with the open GT cut outs on the rear bumper
faaaaq

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for faaaaqSend a Private Message to faaaaqDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fosgatecavy98:

^ That car is just plain bad ass,

I asked about this before. Im just debating on what to do with the open GT cut outs on the rear bumper

that IS bada$$. how much that setup cost them tho lol?
Adam1988

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Adam1988Send a Private Message to Adam1988Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

I will be going this route with my 327 build in the near future, but also have the stockish ones out back.
PFF
System Bot
faaaaq

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for faaaaqSend a Private Message to faaaaqDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Adam1988:

I will be going this route with my 327 build in the near future, but also have the stockish ones out back.

will you be doing a straight pipe out the side, with an in-line switcher to flip back to stockish exhaust when desired?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Here's how to run sidepipes on a Fiero...

Bump

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BumpSend a Private Message to BumpDirect Link to This Post
nice! ghetto-fab!
litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2010 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdDirect Link to This Post

Would be easy too, just re-route the piping out of the stock muffler infront of the tires.

No, it wouldn't be that easy. As was stated above, the cooling tubes that run from the radiator up front to the engine are right in that area. I agree, it looks okay, and is doable, but not without a lot of "engineering" to make it work.

ManMadeChickens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2010 02:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ManMadeChickensSend a Private Message to ManMadeChickensDirect Link to This Post
I put a 3 foot Cherrybomb in place of of the cat on a Fiero race car, it came just a couple inches short of the rocker... a 3" exhaust tip, and it was perfect. I got a 45 degree bend 3" pipe to aim it just down and back of straight out. It's insanely loud, but sounds niiiiiice.

Here's a video taken with a cell phone camera. Sound does no justice to the "feel it in the chest" sound this thing makes.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2010 02:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Very similar to the setup above is on the GT owned by club member Capt Fiero. Big difference here though is that it's a nasty 4.9 pumping out noise from the side.

It's a work in progress...

www.captfiero.com/videos/mycar/49testflash.flv
ManMadeChickens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2010 04:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ManMadeChickensSend a Private Message to ManMadeChickensDirect Link to This Post
I drew inspiration from his writeup. In fact, if this cherry bomb is too loud for the series we are going to race in, I think it might get a round muffler like his did.
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2010 04:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
We all agree behind the wheels is only option. However the four outlets on a GT give it the agressive look i am reluctant to ever want to take this away. Besides it has become rather trendy in the year 2010 to have twin exhausts on cars so why not look so dated for once and enjoy the stock location.

[This message has been edited by Australian (edited 04-19-2010).]

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2010 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Very similar to the setup above is on the GT owned by club member Capt Fiero. Big difference here though is that it's a nasty 4.9 pumping out noise from the side.

It's a work in progress...

www.captfiero.com/videos/mycar/49testflash.flv

What program plays a .flv file?

I can't find one on my machine. Thanks,

Arn
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2010 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post

Arns85GT

11159 posts
Member since Jul 2003
I have always liked Laker pipes. In a front engine car they make sense. True duals, less pipe, and nice chrome dressup.

On my GT when designing true duals, I looked at what it would take to do it. From a design point of view there were allot of complications. Ground clearance if I went under floor pan, some creative body work if I went out through the ground effects to the side.

From a noise level point of view, it was probably too loud for my neighbourhood (yeah I'm one of those Fiero guys who likes to have good relations with the neighbours)

If using true duals, it is actually harder to pipe the exhaust forward then rearward, given the geometry of the cradle.

I ended up using the stock exhaust notches.

All that aside, if you are running a crossover down to the stock CAT position, an engine can survive nicely with 1.5" true dual pipes. 1.5" pipes can be tucked in pretty well if you insulate the floor above them. You would not want the big Laker pipes used in Camaros but you could fab up some yourself out of smaller tube and have them plated.

I think it is do-able for somebody. You should bear in mind though, that anything over 6' of pipe will kill your exhaust pulses and the smaller the pipe the higher the pitch of the sound coming out.

Arn
PFF
System Bot
faaaaq

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2010 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for faaaaqSend a Private Message to faaaaqDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

I can't find one on my machine. Thanks,

Arn

you should be able to tell it to open using Firefox/IE. otherwise, Media Player Classic with the klite codec pack installed plays it very nicely
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2010 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
If I did them on a Fiero, Id remove the rocker panel trim completely and set them tucked up in the gap.
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2010 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:
And also most state DOT regulations state the the exaust of the car must exit from behind the rear wheels for road use and beleave me if your cops are anything like my cops you will get pulled over cited and instructed to remove them.

The exhaust must exit to the top, side, or rear of a passenger compartment.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2010 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

If you're having problems, download the VLC media player. It's a great little utility which will play back about everything... and it's free!
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2010 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

36402 posts
Member since Apr 99

Originally posted by Australian:

We all agree behind the wheels is only option.

I don't get that impression at all.

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2010 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post

If you're having problems, download the VLC media player. It's a great little utility which will play back about everything... and it's free!

Thanks for the link. It works great. And..... the Fiero sounds great too!

Arn
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2010 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

And..... the Fiero sounds great too!

Thanks Arn, Dave (Capt Fiero) will be pleased to hear that.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post04-19-2010 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Here's how to run sidepipes on a Fiero...

Heheh...

Tho, cars like that make me change my mind about notchies...

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock