Started on: 07-05-2003 11:34 PM
Replies: 27
Last post by: fierogsmith on 07-09-2003 03:20 PM
scrabblegod

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2003 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for scrabblegodSend a Private Message to scrabblegodDirect Link to This Post
Seriously, has anyone ever put or seen sidepipes on a Fiero? I know they are not subtle, but have always liked them.

If installed, do you think it would be a problem running pipe form the engine to the pipes?

I think they would make the 4.9 sound good.

Gene

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2003 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

I've often wondered the same thing. I saw a sweet L88 corvette on dream car garage last week, that had side pipes and that got me wondering again.

Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2003 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
My guess would be exhaust routing, Plastic aero skirts, coolant tubes that run under the car, and anything else routed under a Fiero. (Brake lines, fuel lines A/C lines, etc)
rroberts

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2003 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rrobertsSend a Private Message to rrobertsDirect Link to This Post
If you do this please post a picture. I would think clearance would be yur biggest problem. Every one else is lowering and you will be lifting. LMAO
fierce_gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2003 01:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierce_gtSend a Private Message to fierce_gtDirect Link to This Post
i don't think running side pipes along the whole side of the car would make sense. but maybe side exiting tips would be cool, just behind or just infront of the rear tires

------------------

My 85 Fiero GT

fierogt3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2003 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt3Send a Private Message to fierogt3Direct Link to This Post
That would be soo cool...i thought about that alot when thinking about putting a new exhaust on. sorry to steal this thread but would a muffler place install straight pipes for you?
cancerkazoo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2003 02:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cancerkazooClick Here to visit cancerkazoo's HomePageSend a Private Message to cancerkazooDirect Link to This Post
If they had a plastic skirt/cover similar to the svo mustangs it wouldn't look too bad. Then just have the exhaust run right to the side where they end
Arizona85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2003 03:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arizona85GTSend a Private Message to Arizona85GTDirect Link to This Post
With the engine being in the back, it would be way to hard to try and reroute them to the quarter sides of the car Come on guys use your heads, The Fiero has a nice Stock Exhaust, why would you wanna change it?

Good Luck Trying,
Adam

88GTNeverfinished

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 110
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2003 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTNeverfinishedSend a Private Message to 88GTNeverfinishedDirect Link to This Post
Sidepipes on a rear engine car. Where would the outlets be, by the front wheels?

alrighty then...

DRA

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2003 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DRAClick Here to visit DRA's HomePageSend a Private Message to DRADirect Link to This Post
There was a pic posted in general chat quite a while back that was of a fiero with side pipes, they were obviously for looks only (non functional), looked like the car had every bolt on part available in the JC Whitney catalog!
Different strokes for different folks.

------------------

http://www.geocities.com/fierorulz/fieropage.html

cancerkazoo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2003 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cancerkazooClick Here to visit cancerkazoo's HomePageSend a Private Message to cancerkazooDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arizona85GT:

With the engine being in the back, it would be way to hard to try and reroute them to the quarter sides of the car Come on guys use your heads, The Fiero has a nice Stock Exhaust, why would you wanna change it?

Good Luck Trying,
Adam

I personally wouldn't change it, I was just throwing out ideas on how you could go about it.

PFF
System Bot
Kento

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2003 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DRA:

There was a pic posted in general chat quite a while back that was of a fiero with side pipes, they were obviously for looks only (non functional), looked like the car had every bolt on part available in the JC Whitney catalog!
Different strokes for different folks.

Man anyone have a link or know what thread?? I would like to see that if for nothing else then to know what not to do

------------------
86 "PoSE" Needs every thing but 4 NEW Tires!!! They ride better when new, not like after they sit for 3 years!
http://home.cfl.rr.com/fierose

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2003 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
This could be a bad idea for a few reasons....

Fiero uses a plastic rocker panel that could be damaged by the heat from a side pipe. I wouldn't recomend this idea.

You can't attatch anything to the rocker. It's not structural. You'd have to make something to attach to the frame behind it.

To run the exhaust pipes to the front to feed the mufflers would eat several inches of ground clearance and put allot of heat in areas under the car that aren't intended to have heat...

------------------
Nobody loves me. Everybody hates me. Guess I'll just go eat worms.

Roger That

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2003 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Roger ThatSend a Private Message to Roger ThatDirect Link to This Post
Terrific idea !

Then, what to do with those two gaping areas in the rear facia?

I'm thinkin' parachutes or wheelie castors.

It would really screw up peoples heads if the exhuast were routed to exit near the front tires..that way you could always smell the carbon dioxide.

Then, you'd have to paint reverse flames. And have your back-up lights come on while only going in forward gears.

Heh. People would think you're backing up at 80 mph.

They wouldn't know if you're coming or going.

What would be the coolest is to put a front-facing camera hidden somewhere in the front end with a monitor mounted on the passenger-side engine vent. That way you could be driving forward while looking out the back window, visually enforcing the fact that this thread is going nowhere in a big hurry.

Hmmn,,,suicide doors just came to mind.

How about wheelie castors for the front?

Kento

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2003 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Roger That:
Hmmn,,,suicide doors just came to mind.

Umm Been Done, someone got the tee shirt already!

Roger That

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2003 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Roger ThatSend a Private Message to Roger ThatDirect Link to This Post
So you get snow in Orlando?

Bradbitz11

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2003 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Bradbitz11Send a Private Message to Bradbitz11Direct Link to This Post
LOL This thread is hilarious!

------------------

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2003 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
LOL

Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2003 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

LOL

OUCH!!!!! Man that hurts!!!!

I've been watching this thread and was going to tell you how I was going to do side pipes on the Stinger this Winter. But now you've hurt my feelings.

Archie

FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2003 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
hmmmm...actually that's a nice look for the Stinger....if you made those pipes some sort of machine guns or missle launchers ala Spy Hunter...

(The "Stinger" would be an appropriate name for an all new reason!)

Maybe we finally found a way to make SUVS move out of our way on the road?!?

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2003 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Im sorry

Originally posted by Archie:

OUCH!!!!! Man that hurts!!!!

I've been watching this thread and was going to tell you how I was going to do side pipes on the Stinger this Winter. But now you've hurt my feelings.

Archie

PFF
System Bot
Kento

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2003 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Roger That:

So you get snow in Orlando?

Yes we do but the snow here will get you 15-25 not frost bit :-)

Roger That

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2003 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Roger ThatSend a Private Message to Roger ThatDirect Link to This Post
gargoyle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2003 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gargoyleSend a Private Message to gargoyleDirect Link to This Post
Well this wouldn't be side pipes but it could be considered a side pipe. I've often thought if you replace the cat with a muffler and then run the exit out the side infront of the passenger wheel like they do on the Trans Am cars. It would be different. If you wanted to keep the cat you could use a Supertrapp style muffler then you could tune the sound.

------------------

Ken Wittlief

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 142
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2003 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ken WittliefSend a Private Message to Ken WittliefDirect Link to This Post
if you do this then you have to anchor the tie rods on the front wheels, and connect the tie rods on the back wheels to a steering box, so you can steer the car backwards

and move the wing! :c)

GTFiero1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2003 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post
it would be fairly easy to just have the exhaust run back (well frontwards) and just exit out in front of the rear wheels (not full pipes like on that stinger photoshop, lol) Theres questions bout the plastic rockers.... but the rear bumper is plastic too. Anyway some aluminum heat sheilds could be very easily made up to stick between the body and the tips

------------------

--Adam--
1987 Blue GT 5-speed
IM AOL: FieroGT5speed

Ken Wittlief

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 142
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2003 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ken WittliefSend a Private Message to Ken WittliefDirect Link to This Post
wait, I know how we can pull this idea out of the mud - put the pipes straight up, like a Semi

with the flaps over the exhaust tips, to keep the rain water out when the car is not running!

fierogsmith

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2003 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogsmithSend a Private Message to fierogsmithDirect Link to This Post
Like what the Dodge Boys did with their " Lil Red Express " pick up truck . Where the exhaust came up behind the cab of the truck on both sides and extended over the roof .

Galen Smith
Red '85 Sport Coupe
Founder of Suncoast Fiero Club
Florida Fiero Council

Originally posted by Ken Wittlief:

wait, I know how we can pull this idea out of the mud - put the pipes straight up, like a Semi

with the flaps over the exhaust tips, to keep the rain water out when the car is not running!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock