Side pipes by ur2biteme
Started on: 09-17-2000 12:16 AM
Replies: 13
Last post by: Monkeyman on 09-19-2000 06:15 PM
ur2biteme

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2000 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ur2bitemeClick Here to visit ur2biteme's HomePageSend a Private Message to ur2bitemeDirect Link to This Post
has anyone tried this? thinkin ahead to a future 3800 project......

------------------
UR2BITEME
'87 econo coupe
169k and a bad fender :(

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2000 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
You'd have to run the exhaust pipe from the motor all the way up to the front of the car, then out to the pipes, just to have them run back down the car. And you'd have to have one heck of a bend at the forward end. Besides, there isn't any place under the car to run them. Look under the car sometime to see what I'm talking about.
terryk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2000 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for terrykSend a Private Message to terrykDirect Link to This Post
You know what would be really cool?

Diesel stacks!

ur2biteme

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2000 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ur2bitemeClick Here to visit ur2biteme's HomePageSend a Private Message to ur2bitemeDirect Link to This Post
that's it, i'm running out and doing it right now......... i'm getting the diesel stacks. so, how much of a h.p. increase is that? anything like the christmas tree air freshener? where do i get the 2 into 1 headers for the duke?

more serious though. i'm looking at options for shortening the exhaust leingth and running true dual exhaust when i do a 3800 swap later down the line. good one though terryk! :P

------------------
UR2BITEME
'87 econo coupe

terryk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2000 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for terrykSend a Private Message to terrykDirect Link to This Post
I'm fighting the exhaust pipe battle right now on this 3800SC swap. Looks like the stock Fiero exhaust routing can be used by modifying some 88 LeSabre manifolds. Then the stock Fiero Y-pipe routing will work. The cat and down remains.
Pontiaddict

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2000 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PontiaddictSend a Private Message to PontiaddictDirect Link to This Post
If you use C-5 Corvette mufflers, you might be able to do a Cobra R style exhaust exit out the sides.
Xtreme Fiero's

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2000 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Xtreme Fiero'sClick Here to visit Xtreme Fiero's's HomePageSend a Private Message to Xtreme Fiero'sDirect Link to This Post
to run a single Right side out is easy on a 4-cyl, You just pull off the exhaust and stuff a long glass pack (available from Weapon R) and a exhaust hanger to suport it. GT guys might melt thier ground F/X though. I don't know about duals.

ur2biteme

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2000 01:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ur2bitemeClick Here to visit ur2biteme's HomePageSend a Private Message to ur2bitemeDirect Link to This Post
the reason i'm asking is that i'm planning on doing a 3800 swap in about a year, and i'm gathering information. for more info, i'm running an 87 base coupe, and the only body mod i'm gonna do (other than fixing body damage) is a spoiler. i wanted to run an oval shaped outlet in front of both rear wheel wells. other than those two things, i'm keeping it relatively stock looking (a pseudo-formula look). the only thing i really see being a problem is where to run the pipe under the car so i don't have to run wierd angles and long leingths of pipe.

thought it'd look kinda cool if it were possible....

------------------
UR2BITEME
'87 econo coupe

Phil

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2000 07:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilDirect Link to This Post
Remember that the 3800 exhaust exits the block on the trunk side.
Songman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2000 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
If you wanted the look of side pipes you could just have some bolt on pipes but just have your exhaust go straight to the exit opening. They wouldn't have to go all the way to the front of the car.
StuGood

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2000 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for StuGoodSend a Private Message to StuGoodDirect Link to This Post
You're pretty much playing my tune, Songman. I was about to suggest almost the same thing - except just hang a set of side pipes on there and don't plumb the exhaust to them at all. They're just there for looks, anyhow.

Depending on how picky you are, you might have to make some sort of "stealth" exhaust outlets for the real exhaust in the rear.

But now that I think about it, Songman's idea sounds the best. Would you want to replace the little plastic panels (forward of the rear wheels) on each side with metal -then maybe plumb the exhaust through those?
Just a thought...don't know how to make that look good.

But if you left the side air intake as-is, presto! - you'd have EGR

[This message has been edited by StuGood (edited 09-19-2000).]

PFF
System Bot
286SE'S

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2000 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 286SE'SSend a Private Message to 286SE'SDirect Link to This Post
Why didn't anyone say that it was a dumb idea because it would probably melt everything within 4 inches of it. This is PLASTIC car, remember?
Terry
HugGRRRFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2000 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HugGRRRFieroClick Here to visit HugGRRRFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to HugGRRRFieroDirect Link to This Post
I'd go with the traditional dual flame throwers idea. I think there's an old thread on the subject. Just run the engine a bit rich, rev it up real good, let off, and hit the switch.......

If anyone has a spare rear GT Bumper cover they want to sell, let me know j/k

------------------

HugGRRRFiero@hotmail.com

Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2000 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
Since the motor's in the rear of the car, you're going to have to direct the exhaust forward 1st, which means that you'll have quite a bend in order for it to exit rearward. I wouldn't think that an exhaust exiting facing forward would do much good. Maybe I'm wrong (it happens ) but I think it would be sort of a ram air/exhaust conflict.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock