Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  The offical Mythbuster "Car Skip" Thread (Page 4)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
The offical Mythbuster "Car Skip" Thread by BMTFIERO
Started on: 12-16-2009 09:16 PM
Replies: 161
Last post by: Tiny on 12-21-2009 09:28 PM
Mike Gonzalez

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2009 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by revin:

And what was up with the "back to the future" drier vent hose over the roof ?

They had the side intake covered up, drier hos was the new intake so it didnt suck in water.
IP: Logged
Jason88Notchie

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2009 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieDirect Link to This Post
Long live the NOTCHIE!!!!! I can help but to reply to this one!!
TM_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2009 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TM_FieroSend a Private Message to TM_FieroDirect Link to This Post
Well atleast on a good note they used the Fiero because it was similar to a Lambo. So maybe when people see a Fiero on the road now they might have a bit more respect for it. If the Fiero can get a better reputation I think that's worth sacrificing a couple cars. Since they already have the cars maybe they can do some Fiero myths like 'if the car catches fire the doors melt shut not letting the occupants out'.
PhantomMs1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2009 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhantomMs1Click Here to visit PhantomMs1's HomePageSend a Private Message to PhantomMs1Direct Link to This Post
Can it be watched anywhere online yet?
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2009 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTDirect Link to This Post
you can download the full episode on I-tunes i believe.
AWDimprezaL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2009 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AWDimprezaLSend a Private Message to AWDimprezaLDirect Link to This Post
I enjoyed it, it just makes my fiero more rare. Although if they were going to destroy it, it would have taken that GT bumper, as they are super hard to find here.

------------------
2008 Kawasaki Z1000.
2006 Subaru B9 Tribeca.
1996 Subaru Impreza L-T -201 awhp 213 awtq- 200+k miles. Stock internals.
1984 Pontiac Fiero 2M4.
1981 Oldsmobile Cutlass. 307
1980 Oldsmobile Cutlass. 455

signtist2004

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2009 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for signtist2004Send a Private Message to signtist2004Direct Link to This Post
I missed it!! I tried to get home in time but didnt. Does anyone know where I can view the full episode? Thanks in advance..... Lorin
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2009 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
At least they called them "sports cars".
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2009 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerDirect Link to This Post
I'm sure they didn't try to jump a real Lamborghini in the movie. Did anyone confirm what kind of car it really was?

Jonathan
BMTFIERO

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2009 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BMTFIEROSend a Private Message to BMTFIERODirect Link to This Post
What I like the most about it was that after all that punishment they were still able run and drive off into the sunset. After the show I had a couple people call me and tell me that They did not know that the fiero was so tough. New found respect for the fiero, priceless.
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2009 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by yellowstone:

Excuse me, but judging from your comment you are not really one of them (us). What you said is way more upsetting than crashing 2 Fieros!

I don't understand, I'm not one of what?
PFF
System Bot
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2009 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
Human, with human emotions.

Originally posted by mattwa:

I don't understand, I'm not one of what?

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2009 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
There are links in the other thread on this. Im sure It repeats again during the weekend. And in the end they still drove both of the cars off set.
mrjohnishome

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2009 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrjohnishomeSend a Private Message to mrjohnishomeDirect Link to This Post
Did no one notice the seats in the GT? they were grey/black leather seats, that looked like mr. mikes! Wish they would have given them to me.
GS Jon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2009 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GS JonClick Here to visit GS Jon's HomePageSend a Private Message to GS JonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrjohnishome:

Did no one notice the seats in the GT? they were grey/black leather seats, that looked like mr. mikes! Wish they would have given them to me.

Did you read this thread? Mentioned at least 3 times.
Fiero Johnny

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2009 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero JohnnyClick Here to visit Fiero Johnny's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero JohnnyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by N3M3S1S:

Damn us and our Fiaras.

I cant believe these idiots! Fiara, Feire, Front engine... I never knew there were so many varients of Fiero's lol. Some people really need lives...
Fiero1K

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2009 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1KSend a Private Message to Fiero1KDirect Link to This Post
This made me happy. I literally cheered, with the rest of my family, when the gold one made it across. Glad it wasnt a legit yellow 88 (looked cool though). From the paint chips i could see, it looked like an '86 i saw that was spraybombed into an '88 paint scheme body color rockers). Granted they ruined the yellow one, but thats one heck of a way for a car to end.

------------------
1988 Metallic Red Pontiac Fiero CJB T-Top Coupe, # 784 of 1252
Modifications:
-"Custom" oxidized paint
-Cat delete
-Shiny freebie shift knob
-Gasoline
-Nice 15" Jetta 5-Spokes
IT'S RARE!!!!

Fosgatecavy98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2009 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by P Mag V8:

Score one for us Notchie's!!!!!

x2!

I think im going to go put a hundred shot of NOS into my 15 year old car and see what happens brb...
BtotheB

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2009 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BtotheBClick Here to visit BtotheB's HomePageSend a Private Message to BtotheBDirect Link to This Post
Hmm, I can't find a torrent yet.
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2009 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fosgatecavy98:

x2!

I think im going to go put a hundred shot of NOS into my 15 year old car and see what happens brb...

You'll make it rare!

Jonathan
N3M3S1S

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2009 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fosgatecavy98:

x2!

brb, soup.
PFF
System Bot
Fiero_Adam

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2009 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_AdamSend a Private Message to Fiero_AdamDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ohioindy:

http://community.discovery....76/m/39319566301/p/1

Wow... there are some really stupid people posting there. Not just stupid about the placement of the engine in a Fiero, but many other things as well.

I did notice that they covered up anything saying Pontiac or Fiero on the cars. I don't think they mentioned what kind of car it was. And it didn't seem like they put much effort into this one. They just half-assed it.

------------------

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2009 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by Jake_Dragon (edited 12-18-2009).]

sspeedstreet

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2009 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetDirect Link to This Post
Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2009 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sspeedstreet:

My favorite view.

Did you notice the owners manual fly up infront of the camera and land on the passenger floorboard?
Dan_Seattle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2009 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dan_SeattleSend a Private Message to Dan_SeattleDirect Link to This Post
It was cool that both cars could drive away.

I can't stand it when they get stupid with adding flames and NOS. All they needed on the notch was a couple of foldgers cans for exhaust tips to complete the package. Nice.

That first jump was a joke, as stated before the ramp was way to short and steep. You could see the front of the first Fiero stay level (Suspension take up the ramp) and the back springs extend like crazy making the front stay low while the back was being flung into the air.

Anyway, cool to watch both cars still start up and drive away in the end.
Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2009 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post
Check out the High Speed http://dsc.discovery.com/vi...skip-high-speed.html

I didn't notice it during the show but they put the donut spare in the trunk and you can see it bouncing around in there.
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2009 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PhantomMs1:

Can it be watched anywhere online yet?

I recorded the entire episode on my computer. When I have time, I'm going to edit out the non-Fiero parts of the show and make a DVD. Maybe I'll upload it to U-Tube also.
sspeedstreet

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2009 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jefrysuko:

Did you notice the owners manual fly up infront of the camera and land on the passenger floorboard?

Yeah, I'd have thought they'd clean out the interior before filming.
CogFieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2009 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CogFieroGTSend a Private Message to CogFieroGTDirect Link to This Post
FYI:

air's again on Dec 28, 8:00 pm
fieroboy_gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2009 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboy_gtSend a Private Message to fieroboy_gtDirect Link to This Post
I was just disapointed that the car was pretty much almost showcased on the show. They could have gave some info to the public on the car. they didnt even give the name. They pretty much treated the car like it was a POS. this thing is old an can barley move on its own power so lets give it nitro. were going to need alot of run way to get this thing going. the old motor cant take too much abuse. Fieros are tanks. my first fiero was totaled 3 times the motor was wicked strong too as long as you have oil in it. hell 180,000 an it would hit 120 with out much of a problem on the high way but to get to 90 was no problem. they degraded the cars the whole time. I dont care that they destroyed the cars but I have never meet someone who didnt like my fiero's. It might have taken getting them to sit in it an go for a drive but after that they were hooked.All the negative preconsived thoughts about fieros turn people off, they could have gave the cars some positive press. As for the one less fiero thing. you guys should move to maine there are fieros everywhere. almost everyday I see a new fiero in an around town. there very common here. motor swaps an modding not so much.
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2009 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by TopNotch:

I recorded the entire episode on my computer.

I have it on my DVR too, but I don't think it would last too long on Youtube, they are pretty anal about uploading TV show clips.

BTW - Nice Avatar
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2009 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
Download Capt Fiero's edited video here: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/078835.html
Terry_w

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2009 01:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Terry_wSend a Private Message to Terry_wDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DLCLK87GT:

i remember seeing somewhere several months ago (can't find with search) that somebody was looking for 2 running Fieros delivered to someplace in Northern California, all for free. I just remember it because i thought 2 cars, running & delivered all for free, good luck with that. I want to say it was in the mall section but again, can't find it. Anyway they asked and somebody delivered so you can't hate them for it. Hate the person who gave them up. Plus it gave our little car some good TV time. Way better than a 2 second flash on a movie. They were the stars of this one! And like somebody else said, they will be back too.

Actually they offered to buy them. I don't remember how much they offered but they did say that they had to be delivered to them for the price.
Fiero2m8

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2009 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Terry_w:

Actually they offered to buy them. I don't remember how much they offered but they did say that they had to be delivered to them for the price.

It was up to $600 and they had to be automatics.
If the ramp was constructed properly (long enough to preload the suspension evenly) the Gt would have skipped across too.
I don't expect people to know how to spell "Fiero" or know that it's Mid engine but if you watch the clip they show the engine several times!
I would guess that the movie clip used a Fiero based kit as the wheelbase looks short - non stretched.
I was also impressed on how well the space frames held up but the GT didn't drive away as they suggest - it had no right front wheel or suspension after the crash!

------------------

Indy Northstar-Stretch ~ LT1-NOS Roadster

fierobear

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2009 04:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero2m8:

It was $1300 for each.

That was disappointing. They told me it was going to be some kind of "james bond supercar/spycar" thing with all kinds of gadgets and tricks. OK, so they did the skip thing. Not too bad, especially considering that they drove both of them away after CRASHING them!

No, the worst part is...they didn't say the Fiero name once. If I would have known that, I would have told them "no thanks, can't help you." Damn.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2009 06:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero2m8:

If the ramp was constructed properly (long enough to preload the suspension evenly) the Gt would have skipped across too.
I don't expect people to know how to spell "Fiero" or know that it's Mid engine but if you watch the clip they show the engine several times!
I would guess that the movie clip used a Fiero based kit as the wheelbase looks short - non stretched.
I was also impressed on how well the space frames held up but the GT didn't drive away as they suggest - it had no right front wheel or suspension after the crash!

The GT didnt loose its wheels.

They put up a comparison

Mythbusters are now in the same category as the movie producers that wreck old hotrods. They misrepresented the little car heck they wouldn't even say who made it.
Will I stop watching the show? Well I haven't paid much attention to it lately so I doubt this will make me go out of my way to find it when its on.
gem1138

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2009 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gem1138Send a Private Message to gem1138Direct Link to This Post
I finally got to watch it and Myth Busters blew it on this one as far as I’m concerned.

In the movie, the road dips down just before the ramp so that when the front wheels leave the ramp the rear wheels are headed down. The result is that the car lands with its tail first. This is the result of ramp geometry not weight distribution.

Years ago, my brother and I were driving through New Mexico on a cross country trip. It had rained heavily the night before but it was the next beautiful clear day that I was driving my brother’s new 1969 Pontiac Lemans about 130 mph on a two lane highway.

We topped a small hill, suddenly revealing that the road ahead was under water of unknown depth and there was no time to do anything. I did nothing but hold the steering wheel still and back off the gas while all hell broke loose. Water shot into the air beyond our field of view and the roar beneath us was tremendous.

Fortunately, the road was perfectly straight and in seconds we were back on the pavement. I think the speedometer read about 90 mph at that point. We looked at each other for a few seconds and I pushed the accelerator back to the floor climbing back to 130 mph.

I was 17, fearless and immortal. My brother was 21 but deeply religious and believed that god had a purpose for him other than dying on that highway that day.

I’ll never know, but I feel pretty sure that the tires of that Pontiac were not in touch with the highway and we skipped like a rock on a pond.

I don’t know how they determined that the car in the movie was going 50 mph. You can’t go by measuring the distance covered in a frame because frame rate can be altered in post production. I bet they were going much faster.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2009 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
@Jake_Dragon, I lost my faith in Mythbusters when they did the "faster than a speed camera" myth. They took a Lamborghini up to Infineon Raceway in California and got it up to 100mph, and didn't beat it. If they would have researched it a bit further, they would have discovered that Top Gear did that exact same test years ago and concluded that IT IS indeed POSSIBLE to to escape a speed camera. One has to be going 187mph to successfully do that though.*

That's when I lost faith in the accuracy of Mythbusters. That, and I'm so tired of the constant "summarys". It's like the show assumes I have severe ADD, or some other memory problem where I can't remember what I just watched 3 minutes ago.

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2009 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Austrian Import:

@Jake_Dragon

Yep, its just another show now. Hollywood fluff and nothing else. May as well just watch wrestling.

[This message has been edited by Jake_Dragon (edited 12-21-2009).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock