Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Glass windows for 3" chop top Fieros (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
Glass windows for 3" chop top Fieros by F355spider
Started on: 09-28-2005 10:38 AM
Replies: 138
Last post by: F355spider on 08-28-2006 12:07 PM
F355spider

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2005 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post
OK I decided to start a thread on this separate from my chop top one so any one that needs windows will see it.
I talked to the glass manufacture this morning and they are going to make me a sample set of windows for the Mutt I might have them in time for the Austin show but it will be close. I will have to pay $1200.00 for tooling and they will send me the first pair for a test fit. If it works I can get a group buy for about 100 to 200 bucks a window if I can get 15 sets I paid more than that for crap lexan. I am having the samples made with a factory smoke tint to mach my back window but the group buy can be clear. If there is an interest in this let me know and we can start a list for the order. It does not matter to me I will have mine I'm just trying to help out the other choppers out there.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2005 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Well, if your windows fit the Archie chop tops then I'm sure there will be great interest in tagging onto your order. If this is a custom one-off then it might be of interest to someone that wants to chop their car the same way you did. Either way I'm interested to see the fit and finish of your windows.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 09-28-2005).]

F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2005 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Well, if your windows fit the Archie chop tops then I'm sure there will be great interest in tagging onto your order. If this is a custom one-off then it might be of interest to someone that wants to chop their car the same way you did. Either way I'm interested to see the fit and finish of your windows.

I think it will be close; I laid my windshield back so I would think it might work. If some one has a template of their window they can send it to me and we can see.

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2005 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
I don't have easy access to my chop top right now. Maybe Curly or Chester can send you a template??
joshua riedl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2005 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlDirect Link to This Post
can you pm me your address? i'm going to try and bend my lexan windows this weekend so i can mail you the aluminum template i have after that. i'm not so worried about the general shape so much because their is about an inch of adjustment in the doors and it looks easy to allow for more. i am more currious about the lower bend by the dew wipe. is it a gradual bend? what i'm worried will happen with mine is i won't have to roll up the window as much as everyone else and it will leave a gap at the top.
gusshotrod

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2005 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
I would like a set.
F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2005 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by joshua riedl:

can you pm me your address? i'm going to try and bend my lexan windows this weekend so i can mail you the aluminum template i have after that. i'm not so worried about the general shape so much because their is about an inch of adjustment in the doors and it looks easy to allow for more. i am more currious about the lower bend by the dew wipe. is it a gradual bend? what i'm worried will happen with mine is i won't have to roll up the window as much as everyone else and it will leave a gap at the top.

PM sent, I over nighted the Money today So they should start on my windows in a day or two. When I get them in I will lay them up against your template and send you a picture. I don’t know about others but I'm exited and keeping my fingers crossed.
Jscott are you going to Austin? I’m hopping I can show off my Chop top but it will be close and in the hands of the glass gods.

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2005 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by F355spider:

Jscott are you going to Austin? I’m hopping I can show off my Chop top....

I'm planning to be in Austin. I won't be there in my chopper though, it's still in the paint shop. I am very interested in your side windows. Even if your template doesn't fit my car I plan to have glass windows made eventually. But I have to get first things first, like paint.

ShueGlue737

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2005 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ShueGlue737Send a Private Message to ShueGlue737Direct Link to This Post
ill fix my car to fit your windows for 200 bux, no joke tell me when to send the cash...
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2005 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by ShueGlue737:

ill fix my car to fit your windows for 200 bux, no joke tell me when to send the cash...

This is what every glass guy I talked to said is the way to do it. Start with the glass and build the car around it. Sounds like a plan.

F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2005 07:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post

This is what every glass guy I talked to said is the way to do it. Start with the glass and build the car around it. Sounds like a plan.

I wish I had done that.

PFF
System Bot
F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2005 07:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post

F355spider

1870 posts
Member since Jul 2004
We have five sets at the moment with myself getting an extra set. I will ship UPS ground and have to make a wood crate to ship them in so if paying to have them shipped is a problem let me know if you are near me we can arrange a pickup.

F355spider
Jscott1
Joshuariedl
Qusshotrod
Shueglue737

joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2005 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlDirect Link to This Post
will these be able to be made again in the future or should we get doubles now in case they get broken?
joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2005 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlDirect Link to This Post
i was looking at my door again today. i'm sure most people already know this but their is adjustment to move the glass away or towards the seal. obviously it can also be adjusted up and down, plus shimming the seal is not out of the question. i guess the point is without much creativity fitting these shouldn't be a problem for anyone. any idea when the first set will be done?
F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2005 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post

will these be able to be made again in the future or should we get doubles now in case they get broken?

Not likely They are a one time deal, I just need the windows for my car and since I’m paying for the tooling I thought I would help out the other chops at this time if mine work. After that you are on your own, sorry.

joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2005 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlDirect Link to This Post
i guess i'll take two then.
Automoda

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2005 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AutomodaSend a Private Message to AutomodaDirect Link to This Post
I'm starting to become interested! What I'd like to see first though is a solid "here's what youll pay not including shipping for a set of two"

I havent chopped my car yet but its no big deal for me to do.

Hey, you know whats interesting is this: If you can get window glass made, why not GT sail windows? Eh? Anyone else thinking the same thing? Not necessarily choptop shaped ones, but....

------------------

87 Quad 4 HO convertible

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2005 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

I really hope this works out for you guys, but I am at a loss as to how one set of windows will fit all these varying chops that were made differently.

Is there that much room for adjustment and play ? I thought it had to be rather precise ?

Am i wrong ?

joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2005 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlDirect Link to This Post
there are 2 slots to adjust the stops for the up and down movement. these slots could also be elongated if need be, and then the limiting factor would be a gap at the dew wipe if the window was raised too far. there are also 2 sliders with pads on them to push the glass against the outer dew wipe. i'm guessing that moving these in will allow the glass to tilt in more, and moving them out will push the glass out. maybe it's opposite because it's below the pivot point. either way i'm pretty sure there is adjustment. for the angle of the windshield, supposing mine isn't pushed down as far as everyone elses, i'll just put some washers behind the seal frame to put the seal at a more extreme angle. assuming it isn't something rediculous like one inch it should look fine. maybe a little black sylicone to fill the gap. if the length removed from the horizontal part of the roof on archies chops is more that 355spiders that would make the top of the window too long. the seal is pretty wide so a lot depends on where the windows end on the virtical part of the seal. there could be as much as a half inch of play here, or you might have to get creative and lower the top seal to make the top of the window longer and adjust the stops lower so it won't roll up as far. personally, i think these are going to be a really good starting point as far as windows are concerned and i'm willing to buy 2 sets, assuming the price stays as estimated, because i think i can make them fit. you should get in now exoticse, we need a few more buyers.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2005 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Well if there is as much adjustability as Joshua states I may be in for two or more pairs.
joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2005 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlDirect Link to This Post
i don't want it to sound infinite either. i'm talking within 3/4 inch difference in chop height. if i removed 1/2 inch from the roof and 355spider removed 1 inch, i think i can make it work. i guess the question is how much does archie remove? if it's somewhere around 1.5 inches, i think it would also be close enough to work.
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2005 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

i guess the question is how much does archie remove? if it's somewhere around 1.5 inches, i think it would also be close enough to work.

Are you talking in height? I don't have any way to measure it right now but I would say it's closer to thrree inches. If you are talking lenght, he removes about two inches.

F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2005 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post
I don’t want any one to worry I will make sure it is a done deal and the windows look good and fit good before I would ask for any money. I could have every one buy them from my friend’s glass shop but it will cost more because he will have to tack on a few bucks. Any one that knows me can tell you if I knew or thought it would not work I would not sell them to you I'm just trying to get a spare set for myself cheap and let others take advantage of my first off tooling cost. This is why they are sending me the first set first to make sure they will work. I was hoping to have them at the Austin show next weekend and Jscott would be there with his chop but I will have to work next weekend so I know I want make it to Austin. I’m supposed to have the windows by then. I plan on calling them tomorrow and check on their progress.

If you will send me a template of your window I will post a picture of it against the new window

[This message has been edited by F355spider (edited 10-01-2005).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2005 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by F355spider:

I was hoping to have them at the Austin show next weekend and Jscott would be there with his chop but I will have to work next weekend

Not a problem...actually I am coming in my T-top as the chop top is still in the body shop. As soon as I can I will get a template to you. I have access to the chop t-top which I think is probably closer to yours anyway. I know you are not trying to get rich off of this. I appreciate any effort to help us out to get glass windows made.

F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2005 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post

Not a problem...actually I am coming in my T-top as the chop top is still in the body shop. As soon as I can I will get a template to you. I have access to the chop t-top which I think is probably closer to yours anyway. I know you are not trying to get rich off of this. I appreciate any effort to help us out to get glass windows made.

Yea I have this vision of two Texas Chop tops meeting half way that would be a nice sight. I was showing my realtor my 355 two days ago and she walked over to the Chop top and wanted to know what car it was when I told her a Fiero she said no they were not like this I had to explain to her it had been altered but it was funny that the chop top took her eyes away from the 355

F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2005 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post
I gave them a call today and they are working on the cad design this week and will email the diagram when finished as the Question about making more later they said that is up to me. I own the tolling and if I let them keep it they can make more by just placing an order but if I have them send it to me then there will be no more. I might be wrong but I think I own a Patton on the windows buy the way they were talking I'm kind of confused on all that. I was thinking would my name be were GM and other manufactures put theirs?
F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2005 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post
Ho Woo WEEEE; I got a call on my windows today and they are made they will drill them tonight for the hardware holes and they go in the oven tomorrow and should ship out Thursday. I just did a Toyota jump o what a feeling. Just for the ones that did not see the other post.
joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2005 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlDirect Link to This Post
good news, were all as anxious as you are.
F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2005 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post
I never got any templates but I will take a picture of what I have
joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2005 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlDirect Link to This Post
bending the lexan didn't really work out for me so i think i'll just chance it.
joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2005 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlDirect Link to This Post

joshua riedl

1426 posts
Member since Jan 2004
i was looking at your other thread again and i'm currious if you tested your windows with the dew wipes installed?
PFF
System Bot
F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2005 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post

i was looking at your other thread again and i'm currious if you tested your windows with the dew wipes installed?

This is what I did everything new inner and outer wipes and new felt adjusters. I do not want to scratch the first and only glass chop top windows.

joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2005 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlDirect Link to This Post
any news?
F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2005 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post
Yep: tonight will be a sleepless one the test windows are suppose to arrive tomorrow. They called and told me so. They told me that these windows were a bi$h to make with the funky shapes and curves but they looked good.
joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2005 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlDirect Link to This Post
awsome, do you still plan on getting a group buy together?
F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2005 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post

awsome, do you still plan on getting a group buy together?

Yes, I want to wait till I make for sure they are perfect.

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2005 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
I still owe you a templete... I'm on the edge of my seat to see your windows.
GKDINC

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2005 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GKDINCSend a Private Message to GKDINCDirect Link to This Post
Have any new pic's?
Thanks Gary
Bump
Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2005 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post
I don't even own a chop, and I can't wait to see the pics!!
F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2005 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post

I'm still waiting on the delivery. They said they would be here Thursday but it is Friday and they are not here yet.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock