Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  I need a set of GT lenses for some. . .experiments. . . (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
I need a set of GT lenses for some. . .experiments. . . by Racingman24
Started on: 02-09-2004 12:31 AM
Replies: 160
Last post by: Silicoan86 on 07-17-2005 11:50 PM
Racingman24

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2004 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Racingman24Click Here to visit Racingman24's HomePageSend a Private Message to Racingman24Direct Link to This Post
Hey guys, I am looking for someone to send me a set of their De-laminated GT lenses. I would prefer med. to bad delaming, as I am going to try and refinish them. I will be straight forward here, I am going to try to paint the outside of the lenses, with very specific masks made by Mr. Mckiben [sp?] to lay over the "PONTIAC" so that doesn't get painted over.

All I need is the set of lenses, 40 bucks [30 to cover the clearing of the lights, as I pay to have this done, and 10 to cover return shipping] and a little bit of faith in me.

A lot of you have seen the pics of my refinished taillight lenses, every part minus clearing was done by me. One added bonus, is that the lenses that are sent to me can be tinted as well if you would like them to be.

Here are some refresher pics of my lenses:

This is what I hope to have the GT lenses looking like when they are done. For this one person, my labor will be free. I doubt that anything will go wrong, but if anything does, I will refund the money and send the lenses back if wanted, but like I said, I highly doubt that they will not come out properly

Anyone that would like to help me out, post or PM me asap.

Thanks
Eric

------------------

Used is such a harsh term. . . I perfer "Previously obsessed over" ;)

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FieroMonkey

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2004 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMonkeySend a Private Message to FieroMonkeyDirect Link to This Post
i am intrigued and possibly interested in sending you a set to try this on. are you planning on painting the outside of GT lenses, or the inside? if you plan on doing the inside, how do you plan on getting the clear lense to separate from the black graphite housing? i cant imagine them not cracking if you plan on separating them.

------------------
-Monkey

[This message has been edited by FieroMonkey (edited 02-09-2004).]

Racingman24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2004 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Racingman24Click Here to visit Racingman24's HomePageSend a Private Message to Racingman24Direct Link to This Post
I am going to try and shoot the outside with paint and clearcoat. That way, one will never had to worry about de-laming or sunfading again.

Eric

jelly2m8

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2004 03:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Direct Link to This Post
Yep, gonna hafta paint the outside. Ski, Aus and I played with a delaminated lens once, but we gave up after trying several methods.

It could be done from the inside, but it would require using some sort of vaccuum to pull the paint between the lens and the inner section.

I may have a busted and delaminated lens somewhere if you want it to experiment on. It won't be useable though, because on edge of the clear section is busted out.

Racingman24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2004 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Racingman24Click Here to visit Racingman24's HomePageSend a Private Message to Racingman24Direct Link to This Post
Things that go BUMP in the daytime

Racingman24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2004 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racingman24Click Here to visit Racingman24's HomePageSend a Private Message to Racingman24Direct Link to This Post

Racingman24

2304 posts
Member since Apr 2003
Not a single person wants to take a chance for "better than new" taillights, wow, I am impressed, I thought at least one person would jump at it seeing the pics of my lights. O well, I will bump this one or two more times, otherwise I will just let it die.

Eric

Scythe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2004 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ScytheSend a Private Message to ScytheDirect Link to This Post
My only concern is that I get the tail lights back and all I see is horrible scratches, peeling clearcoat, etc...lol

You should actually try practicing on some plexiglass or something similar, lol

Racingman24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2004 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racingman24Click Here to visit Racingman24's HomePageSend a Private Message to Racingman24Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Scythe:

My only concern is that I get the tail lights back and all I see is horrible scratches, peeling clearcoat, etc...lol

You should actually try practicing on some plexiglass or something similar, lol

I have, my taillights, and anyone who has seen them [MinnGreen, Purple Reign, KEV, gtgeff, and more] will tell you about them. They are number one quality. Also, for what it's worth, the guy that I have clear and tint them paints Benz's and BMW's, so he obviously has to be damn near perfect, and he has the same standards with my lenses as he has for his reg. paint jobs.

Also, If anything does go wrong, how is this. I will send the lights back, refund the 30 [no shipping refund] AND throw 100 bucks at you, but that is only if they get messed up.

Any takers now?

Eric

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2004 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
I'll send you my notchie ones for that deal

------------------
1986 Fiero SE

Fastback 86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2004 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
Eric, I would love to, but I would have to find out first if I can drive the car without them on it, since its a daily driver. I very much doubt it, so I'll see if I can find someone I can borrow a car from.
tjfennel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2004 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tjfennelClick Here to visit tjfennel's HomePageSend a Private Message to tjfennelDirect Link to This Post
Damn, this sounds like a great deal, but my right lens has a major crack in it by the lights (not the Pontiac), so this wouldn't work for me... *sniffle*... Tj needs new lenses.
PFF
System Bot
MRJ

Feedback score:    (36)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 115
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2004 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MRJClick Here to visit MRJ's HomePageSend a Private Message to MRJDirect Link to This Post
I'd send you a pair for that deal. Let me know and I'll do it! Do I get a deal on the notchie ones too if I send them both?
Matt Jackson

------------------
MRJ
MY 86GT For Sale
My Black 87GT For Sale

Scythe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2004 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ScytheSend a Private Message to ScytheDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like a deal to me, lol
sqoach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2004 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachDirect Link to This Post
I'm sending you a PM.
Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2004 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
Looks like you got some people Eric. But I'll be waiting to see how they come out, cause I'd like to have mine done sometime too!
Racingman24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2004 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racingman24Click Here to visit Racingman24's HomePageSend a Private Message to Racingman24Direct Link to This Post
MRJ, I will send you a PM in just a sec.

For the rest of you, I will get prices worked out when I get it completed, as I am 99% sure that this will work.

And for the others with Notchie cars, I had some prices set aside in another thread, but I will lay them out here again:

Basic buff and clear [satin is in good condition yet] $60.00
Redo top and bottom satin with buff and clear: $100.00
Redo Satin, buff, clear and install P.Vargus PONTIAC on the inside: $200.00 [that includes price of Vargus' kit.]

All prices include return shipping.

If they are any other questions, please feel free to let me know.

Eric

EDIT::: Also, Three shades of tint are available with these, light, med., and dark. However, I would not recommend dark unless you are running LED's or the equivilant. I will caution about high wattage bulbs, as I did that, and I melted a set of my taillights.

[This message has been edited by Racingman24 (edited 02-09-2004).]

rynelson85

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2004 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rynelson85Send a Private Message to rynelson85Direct Link to This Post
sorry, can't be of any help with the fastback tail-lights... but I am probably interested in the notchback deal. Will be a month or so though.
linenoise

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2004 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for linenoiseClick Here to visit linenoise's HomePageSend a Private Message to linenoiseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jelly2m8:

Ski, Aus and I played with a delaminated lens once, but we gave up after trying several methods.

This seems to be story for everything I start working on for my car. Every project I start researching someone else has already tried/solved. Thats why Pennocks rocks!

------------------

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2004 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
I just want to jump in here and say that Eric's taillights are the most beautiful set of notchie lenses I've ever seen... I told him he can't put 'em on his car until the rest of the car looks a bit better

If I had a spare set (of GT lenses) that were restorable (all my spares are in too poor of condition to bother spending any time on), I'd have jumped on this long before this post ever started. I even looked into buying a restorable set from another PFF member, but didn't quite have the funds for them at the time. But if I do run across a set - I'll definitely be do this no hesitations!

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

Racingman24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2004 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racingman24Click Here to visit Racingman24's HomePageSend a Private Message to Racingman24Direct Link to This Post
Thanks Rob, I appriciate that. And they will be going on the car when my 17's go on, paint or no paint, new bumpers or no new bumpers

Right now it looks like I have things squared away to take a shot with GT lenses. I really hope this goes as well as I think it will. I will keep everyone posted on the progress right here in the thread.

Hopefully I can get some pics up in a weed or so, but the biggest time obstacle is making sure the overlay masks from Paul are perfect, this might take some time, but like I said, I will keep you posted.

Eric

MRJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2004 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MRJClick Here to visit MRJ's HomePageSend a Private Message to MRJDirect Link to This Post
I sent them out yesterday and have sent you an email and also a PM let me know when you recieve them! THanks again
Matt Jackson

------------------
MRJ
MY 86GT For Sale
My Black 87GT For Sale

PFF
System Bot
Racingman24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2004 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Racingman24Click Here to visit Racingman24's HomePageSend a Private Message to Racingman24Direct Link to This Post
OK, I just got my first set of expirimental lenses. Here is what they look like. Not real good shape, but the perfect canvas for me to start on.

Here is the delam on one of the sides

This pic shows one big scratch, and multiple little ones

There are quite a few small stress cracks in it, but I think when I am done, they should be 90% less visible

And more delammin'

More scratches and examples of the age of these lenses really showing.

And one last one showing just the general lense. This will be used for a before and after pic.

I got them today, took them apart and made my "pencil tracing" of the PONTIAC to send off to McKiben. That should get sent out tomorrow. Then when I get the mask back, that's really when the fun begins. I will keep you guys updated.

Eric

MRJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2004 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MRJClick Here to visit MRJ's HomePageSend a Private Message to MRJDirect Link to This Post
Hey Eric any update? I guess I'm just curiuos how they are coming along!
Matt Jackson
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2004 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Do you have any pics of the other ocver off (separate) from the light area? I would like to see what it looks like minus the lens cover?
Thanks
Madcurl

------------------

linenoise

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2004 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for linenoiseClick Here to visit linenoise's HomePageSend a Private Message to linenoiseDirect Link to This Post
Un-Patiently awaiting more details.

------------------

Racingman24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2004 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Racingman24Click Here to visit Racingman24's HomePageSend a Private Message to Racingman24Direct Link to This Post
Sorry I haven't responded to this thread and some of my PM's. I have had a bunch of nasty viruses hit me at home and render my comp. at home almost useless for the past couple of days. I hope that I will have the problem fixed by tonight so I can give a more detailed update, but at this time, the tracing's are either in route to or at Paul's. I don't have the tracking number on me here at work, but again, I will let you guys know tonight, provided my comp is functioning properly.

Again, sorry for the delays guys. Hopefully I can get this cleared up as soon as possible.

Originally posted by madcurl:

Do you have any pics of the other ocver off (separate) from the light area? I would like to see what it looks like minus the lens cover?
Thanks
Madcurl

Hey Curly, what are you asking. I'm afraid I am a little confused as to what you want to see. Let me know and I will be more than willing to take pics and post them.

Eric

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2004 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

No outer lens with colored inserts still in place:

Then without the colored inserts:

(from: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000002/HTML/20020319-1-010073.html )

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2004 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Thanks MinnGreen for the pics.
Question: has anyone tried to modify or use the lens w/o the outer lens cover? IMO with a little creativity, the part could look or better than the original with lens. Hmmm........?
How had is it to separate the (2) parts?
------------------

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 02-26-2004).]

Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2004 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
As I recall from the last time I pulled them, the colored inserts just sit behind the covers and are sandwiched in placed. There are also 4 different parts. There are the outer, multi color lenses, and the red inner lenses that make the PONTIAC glow red (otherwise it would be white). You'd have to find a way to secure the 4 lense parts to the car without the covers and figure out something to do wtih the red middle, cause it'll just be a glowing red rectangle without the PONTIAC covers over it.
Racingman24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2004 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racingman24Click Here to visit Racingman24's HomePageSend a Private Message to Racingman24Direct Link to This Post
Ok, here's the update, now that I have my comp fixed, or at least I hope so.

The tracing's that I made were only sent out a few days ago. I got wrapped up in a few other things and did not get them out when I wanted to. The tracking number says it should get there on Monday. Once he gets them, hopefully he can nail it the first time, but only time will tell.

So that is the update for now, I know it is small, but the first few steps are going to be slow, just like I said earlier. . More will come when I get the masks back, and that's when the pics will really start to show up.

Eric

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2004 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
I really would send you my notchie lenses but unfortunately I cant afford that. I guess I'd have to do them myself but Im not too sure of my sanding skills... is there any procedure to improve the lenses without sanding? Any sort of product to remove or fill in scratches or something that I can use thats cheaper? I obviously wont get my lenses as perfect as yours, but I would still like to improve them a little... any help would be appreciated.

------------------
1986 Fiero SE

PFF
System Bot
mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2004 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

I really would send you my notchie lenses but unfortunately I cant afford that. I guess I'd have to do them myself but Im not too sure of my sanding skills... is there any procedure to improve the lenses without sanding? Any sort of product to remove or fill in scratches or something that I can use thats cheaper?...

If lamination isn't a problem, 3M makes a product called "Plastic Cleaner" that will make your tired lenses look like new. I had a GT lens that looked like it was slid across a rough concrete floor. I sanded it using 1000 grit then 1200 grit and applied the 3M cleaner. They looked like new when finished. I topped them off with 3M "Plastic Polish" to make them sparkle. The stuff is about $9 a bottle at NAPA.

Hope this helps,
Roy

tjfennel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2004 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tjfennelClick Here to visit tjfennel's HomePageSend a Private Message to tjfennelDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fastback 86:

As I recall from the last time I pulled them, the colored inserts just sit behind the covers and are sandwiched in placed. There are also 4 different parts. There are the outer, multi color lenses, and the red inner lenses that make the PONTIAC glow red (otherwise it would be white). You'd have to find a way to secure the 4 lense parts to the car without the covers and figure out something to do wtih the red middle, cause it'll just be a glowing red rectangle without the PONTIAC covers over it.

Don't forget about the black goo that holds the lot of them together. Dunno what it is... not exactly the goop that comes out of the steering wheel stitching, but not quite nice to touch, either... kinda like tar.

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2004 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tjfennel:

Don't forget about the black goo that holds the lot of them together. Dunno what it is... not exactly the goop that comes out of the steering wheel stitching, but not quite nice to touch, either... kinda like tar.

I believe that's Butyl...

Phantom-Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2004 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Phantom-FieroSend a Private Message to Phantom-FieroDirect Link to This Post
I'm waiting on the pics but I know they will turn out great. This is good timing because I was getting ready to buy the corvette tail light panel. I love the stock look better and if I can restore them with you, count me in.

John

Racingman24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2004 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racingman24Click Here to visit Racingman24's HomePageSend a Private Message to Racingman24Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Phantom-Fiero:

I'm waiting on the pics but I know they will turn out great. This is good timing because I was getting ready to buy the corvette tail light panel. I love the stock look better and if I can restore them with you, count me in.

John

That is exactly why I am trying to do this. The corvette taillight panel looks cool, just not my cup of tea. I much prefer the stock look, as [IMHO] it goes with the car much better. Updates to come.

Eric

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2004 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfixit58:

If lamination isn't a problem, 3M makes a product called "Plastic Cleaner" that will make your tired lenses look like new. I had a GT lens that looked like it was slid across a rough concrete floor. I sanded it using 1000 grit then 1200 grit and applied the 3M cleaner. They looked like new when finished. I topped them off with 3M "Plastic Polish" to make them sparkle. The stuff is about $9 a bottle at NAPA.

Hope this helps,
Roy

Sounds perfect, thanks for the help

Racingman24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2004 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Racingman24Click Here to visit Racingman24's HomePageSend a Private Message to Racingman24Direct Link to This Post
Mini update, and of course a little bump.

Paul got the tracings yesterday, and went right to work on them. He has not given me an official timeframe yet, but he thinks it shouldn't take too long. I do want to thank you guys for your patience during this slow moving part of the expiriment, especially Matt [MRJ] Unfortunatley there is no way to speed this part of the process up.

So, more updates to come, as soon as I get the mask back. Then it's on the fast track to finish-ville.

Eric

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2004 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post

Thanks MinnGreen for the pics.
Question: has anyone tried to modify or use the lens w/o the outer lens cover? IMO with a little creativity, the part could look or better than the original with lens. Hmmm........?
How had is it to separate the (2) parts?

I cut the outer lenses about 5 years ago. I first (and only) saw this mod on Kolja's car (Yellowstone). I also used some dark/tranparant paint. It is not too hard to seperate the lenses and I used some silicone sealant when reassembling. It is a quite easy and rewarding mod....

they are covered with dust now because I have other toys

------------------

1987 Pontiac Fiero GTR in progress
1969 Chevy Suburban

MRJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2004 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MRJClick Here to visit MRJ's HomePageSend a Private Message to MRJDirect Link to This Post
Hey it's cool I'm in no hurry here! That's my extra set
Matt J

------------------
MRJ
MY 86GT For Sale
My Black 87GT For Sale

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page