Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  GT Clear Taillights- Progress Pics (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
GT Clear Taillights- Progress Pics by MinnGreenGT
Started on: 09-05-2001 11:56 AM
Replies: 59
Last post by: Nashco on 10-21-2001 07:01 PM
MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2001 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
OK, there has been quite a bit of conversation about clear taillights for Coupes & GTs. Many people have already just removed the colored Lens and replaced their clear blubs- which is fine for them. But this seem unfinished to me- and looks rather cheap. I acquired a damaged GT taillight for experimentation (Don't worry, I wasn't using my "GOOD" ones)

First off, Separating the inner & outer lens is simple. Just pull them apart (there are some clips on the sides). This is pretty much where everyone stops... they just remove the colored inner lens and replace the clear bulbs with colored ones.

The Outer Lens has been removed

The Inner Lens has been removed

The Assembly with no inner lens... OK, but looks naked to me!

I Also plan on changing my "PONTIAC" to appear green by removing the red filter and replacing the white bulbs with green ones- or neon if necessary. I will also add a diffuser lens (see farther down) behind the "PONTIAC" so you don't see just the brigtness of the bulb.

I have decided to mutilate the inner lens to try to make a new style. I have found that the original lens is very similiar in texture to that of an office ceiling tile light-lens (picked up a 2x4 sheet at Home Depot for about $3). -Which I will reference from here on as the "Diffuser Lens"

Diffuser Lens pattern from Home Depot.

I then cut out the colored strips in the lens using a Dremel with a Fiberglass Reinforced cutting wheel. If anyone knows a better/cleaner way to cut this plastic... please let me know, 'cause this tends to melt the plastic before it cuts cleanly.

you can see in this photo how I have cut the inner lens.

I then cut the diffuser lens into strips to fit the openings. I am planning on repainting the cut parts of the lens black, so that the old Amber & Red don't show through all the time. When they are all cut I'll replace the original bulbs with colored ones still, but you won't be staring straight at reflectors- and you'll still have a semi-stock appearance.

The diffuser placed on the cut opening- some heat might be helpful in bending the plastic.

My other thought- after photographing these... is to skip the cutting & gluing part, and to just shape the diffuser to fill the inside of the clear outer lens. This would probably be quicker, cleaner, easier, and look better in the end. I wil also place a piece of the diffuser behind the "PONTIAC" as mentioned above.

This concept could probably be even more easily applied to a coupe to cover the "partial conversion" look... it's just a flat piece cut to shape. BTW... be careful when cutting the diffuser lens- it can be tricky.

So, what do you think?

------------------

Medium Metallic Green 87 GT
3.1L High Output
4 Spd OD Tranny
Open (read: Loud) Exhaust
and More!
-Rob Bartlett

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2001 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post
looks good. i like the idea of the office stuff. i wanted to do something similar for my formula but couldnt think of anything to put in there. i wonder how well that stuff will work for coupes.

by the way will you have them done for fierorama?

------------------
JOEJOE Aol:SSFiero

88FORMULA
SSFiero@Aol.com

"Kids in the backseat cause accidents, accidents in the backseat caused me!!"

lowfierogt

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 247
User Banned

Report this Post09-05-2001 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lowfierogtClick Here to visit lowfierogt's HomePageSend a Private Message to lowfierogtDirect Link to This Post
Sweet looking...

Originally posted by MinnGreenGT:
OK, there has been quite a bit of conversation about clear taillights for Coupes & GTs. Many people have already just removed the colored Lens and replaced their clear blubs- which is fine for them. But this seem unfinished to me- and looks rather cheap. I acquired a damaged GT taillight for experimentation (Don't worry, I wasn't using my "GOOD" ones)

First off, Separating the inner & outer lens is simple. Just pull them apart (there are some clips on the sides). This is pretty much where everyone stops... they just remove the colored inner lens and replace the clear bulbs with colored ones.

The Outer Lens has been removed

The Inner Lens has been removed

The Assembly with no inner lens... OK, but looks naked to me!

I Also plan on changing my "PONTIAC" to appear green by removing the red filter and replacing the white bulbs with green ones- or neon if necessary. I will also add a diffuser lens (see farther down) behind the "PONTIAC" so you don't see just the brigtness of the bulb.

I have decided to mutilate the inner lens to try to make a new style. I have found that the original lens is very similiar in texture to that of an office ceiling tile light-lens (picked up a 2x4 sheet at Home Depot for about $3). -Which I will reference from here on as the "Diffuser Lens"

Diffuser Lens pattern from Home Depot.

I then cut out the colored strips in the lens using a Dremel with a Fiberglass Reinforced cutting wheel. If anyone knows a better/cleaner way to cut this plastic... please let me know, 'cause this tends to melt the plastic before it cuts cleanly.

you can see in this photo how I have cut the inner lens.

I then cut the diffuser lens into strips to fit the openings. I am planning on repainting the cut parts of the lens black, so that the old Amber & Red don't show through all the time. When they are all cut I'll replace the original bulbs with colored ones still, but you won't be staring straight at reflectors- and you'll still have a semi-stock appearance.

The diffuser placed on the cut opening- some heat might be helpful in bending the plastic.

My other thought- after photographing these... is to skip the cutting & gluing part, and to just shape the diffuser to fill the inside of the clear outer lens. This would probably be quicker, cleaner, easier, and look better in the end. I wil also place a piece of the diffuser behind the "PONTIAC" as mentioned above.

This concept could probably be even more easily applied to a coupe to cover the "partial conversion" look... it's just a flat piece cut to shape. BTW... be careful when cutting the diffuser lens- it can be tricky.

So, what do you think?

------------------

FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2001 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
Lookin good! I have an idea for the coupe's tail lights..just dont have the time at the moment to do anything with them. I agree on the "unfinished" look when people just remove the colored lenses. Just doesnt look right.

------------------

James Essar
AOL IM Name: FieroMaster88
88 Coupe With a new V6
5 speed Isuzu trans
AcCel 8mm wires
rapid fire plugs
custom intake with K&N filter.
Soon to be 2" closer to the ground and have a turbo

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2001 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
I might have a sample done for FieroRama... I'll try to bring what I have (or what I can fit in the car). The idea about filling in the entire outer lens didn't hit me until last night, so I might work on it tonight (got to see if I can heat & flex the diffuser to fit easily). I'll certainly try!

If anyone has a coupe lens to donate (damaged is OK for prototype stuff), I'll gladly see if I can work one up for it.

------------------

3.1L High Output
4 Spd OD Tranny
and More!
-Rob Bartlett

Simple Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2001 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Simple FieroSend a Private Message to Simple FieroDirect Link to This Post
okay one thing you mentioned is that you had a problem with the dremel melting the plastic, just slow it down man. take your time, man. i had the same problem with making mine.
One other thing too about it why even cut out the strips, just cut the piece that you got from Home Depot and that should do it, you wouldn't have to worry about cutting and melting and you could still use clear lights cause the colors would still shine through to the clear, umm you would probably want to use the japanese LED lights though. If you have already mention all this sorry dude!
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2001 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Simple... the reason I was going to remove the old colored strips, is that they show through the clear diffuser lens if just placed directly over the top- good suggestion though. And yes, I am planning on using japanese-style colored Bulbs or LEDs.

------------------

3.1L High Output
4 Spd OD Tranny
and More!
-Rob Bartlett

Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2001 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaDirect Link to This Post
That's awesome...can't wait to see your finished pics!

------------------

Did you get your car in my book yet????
http://www.animatedconcepts.com/fierobook.htm

mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2001 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post

If anyone knows a better/cleaner way to cut this plastic... please let me know, 'cause this tends to melt the plastic before it cuts cleanly.

Rather than try and cut it all out with a dremel, try making a hole then use a variable speed sabersaw and a fine tooth metal cutting blade.

------------------
Roy :D
Just another stock Blue 87 GT

artherd

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2001 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artherdClick Here to visit artherd's HomePageSend a Private Message to artherdDirect Link to This Post
Well, it's basically a huge dremel, but I use an air wheel cut-off-tool.

It's just like the dremel, but with a 3" abrasive disc and lots of torque from the compressed air, it can cut just about everything (I just used it on my tranny case to fit it to a northstar's starter for example...)

Works better on plastic, but not perfect.

------------------

Ben Cannon
88 Formula, T-top Metalic Red
88 Formula, Silver
87 Coupe, Metalic Red
"Every Man Dies, not every man really Lives"
-Mel Gibson, "Braveheart"

Spektrum-87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2001 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Spektrum-87GTSend a Private Message to Spektrum-87GTDirect Link to This Post
looks great, the led idea sounds cool too, do you plan on doing anything to the 3rd brake light?
PFF
System Bot
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2001 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Tonights work was a success I think! I used a single piece of my "diffuser lens" to fill the space- much easier than cut & paste! A little patience when trimming (the stuff shatters if you're not careful) and a little time with a 400degree heat gun (and a pair of leather gloves)- and it looks cool. Of course I don't have a set of lights yet, but I'll post pics in the morning of what it currently looks like. And I'll definitely be bringing the sample to Fierorama for everyone to check out!

------------------

3.1L High Output
4 Spd OD Tranny
and More!
-Rob Bartlett

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2001 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Ok, here's what I came up with:

I first cut a pattern using a large piece of paper. I then cut a rectangle the baisc size of the piece- and trimmed the arc (that's the tough part). You can see that the piece is still flat- it will fit into the opening, but not very well.

I then used a 400 degree heat gun and bent bent/flexed the plastic to match the curve of the outer lens and the bend around the corner. Take your time on this- if you go too fast the plastic will break or warp too much (did both to one piece).

Once shaped correctly, dry-fit the pieces together to make sure the assemlbly closes correctly. I plan to use a clear silicon to attach the pieces when complete.

Here is the "final" product. You get the clear-effect (which will look better on a good, clean outer lens). And you can't actually see the reflectors & Bulbs!

------------------

3.1L High Output
4 Spd OD Tranny
and More!
-Rob Bartlett

[This message has been edited by MinnGreenGT (edited 09-06-2001).]

Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2001 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
Dude, that actually works! Nice job! Not bad.
btoth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2001 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for btothSend a Private Message to btothDirect Link to This Post
Looks great! I think it would be even cooler if you could keep the black dividers (?) going across the length of the lens. That's my favorite part.
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2001 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
btoth-
I was originally going to keep those- cause I like them too... but on a short-term easy-to-do project, this was easier. I may still try to do it the other way (cut & paste) just to see how well that turns out. But that will be a ways down the road.

Cheever-
you sound so surprised!

------------------

3.1L High Output
4 Spd OD Tranny
and More!
-Rob Bartlett

sqoach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2001 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachDirect Link to This Post
Hey looks pretty neat. Eventhough they're fastback tail lights. My 86 SE has a clear tail light mod. You can't see the bulbs through it either. Just a little bit of color. I kinda like them. But they just took some regular bulbs and painted them (with some high-degree paint I'm guessing). The paint is fading and now they have a red-orange color. I would like to get some real red bulbs but Wal-mart doesn't carry them that I know of.

------------------
-Adam
sqoach@yahoo.com

^^^^^^new project^^^^^^

• 84 SE (FOR SALE)*sale pending*
  • 85 Coupe (parts car)($50)*sale pending*
  • 86 SC (FOR SALE)
  • IP: Logged
    Tigger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
    Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2001 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TiggerSend a Private Message to TiggerDirect Link to This Post
    MinnGreenGT, I like the effect of the diffuser. I seen something similar on a notchback once but the diffuser was just sandwiched between the outer cover and inner molded red panels.

I wonder what it would look like if you'd remove all of the red and amber portion of the reflectors, leaving only the black lines and then put the diffuser behind it? Wait, no, maybe better yet, carefully lay out black striping tape or even mask & paint horizontal lines on the backside of the clear cover. It would break up the reflectors some more and still keep a stock appearance. I think that was the look you were going for and would make it possible without the hassle of cutting the out the red and amber lens. What do you think? Worth a try?

[This message has been edited by Tigger (edited 09-06-2001).]

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2001 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
    Squoach- About the bulbs... yeah, the painted ones are OK for a little while. But you really need the ones with colored glass instead. (a few more $$ too).

Tigger- Love your car BTW. Makes me want to restore my old 84 SE! Anyway, I may try the striping to see how convincing it looks- I do really like the stock "lines" in the plastic too.

------------------

3.1L High Output
    4 Spd OD Tranny
    and More!
    -Rob Bartlett

kempo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2001 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kempoSend a Private Message to kempoDirect Link to This Post
    You should put them on ebay and make lots of $$!!
    ChopTop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2001 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChopTopSend a Private Message to ChopTopDirect Link to This Post
    Looking good. I would like to see what the lines look like on it also, might give it a more finished appearance, and (no flame intended) less ricerish. Or how about incorporating the Firebird Trans Am honeycomb taillight look into it. Way cool.
    PFF
    System Bot
    MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2001 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ChopTop:
    Looking good. I would like to see what the lines look like on it also, might give it a more finished appearance, and (no flame intended) less ricerish. Or how about incorporating the Firebird Trans Am honeycomb taillight look into it. Way cool.

No flame taken... it's an American Sportscar, not an import racer (not that there's anything wrong with that)! I do like the idea of a honeycomb look- might have to see what I can find to fit behind the lens...any suggestions?

------------------

3.1L High Output
    4 Spd OD Tranny
    and More!
    -Rob Bartlett

Loki

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
    Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2001 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LokiSend a Private Message to LokiDirect Link to This Post
    Im working on some clear lenses for my notchback but I had planned on the simple rout of using the clear between the red and the outter lens.. Cops around here will harass you cause your supposed to have so much reflective material so thats one reason why I plan on keeping the red in it.... But who knows..Maybe I can get away with it ehhe

BTW!! Good job..looks schweet

------------------

ICQ# 16477998
    http://members.home.net/loki-mg

Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
    Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
    Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2001 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
    MinnGreenGT--You want a honeycomb pattern? What about finding the bottom part of an '85 engine/decklid grille? That's got the honeycomb pattern. You could lay that on a piece of poster board and spray the pattern onto that. Then (very carefully) cut out the shapes on the poster board. Before you heat and shape the diffuser lense, lay the poster board on the diffuser lense and spray with black paint. VOILA!! Honeycomb pattern. If I remember (generally my memory is about as short as my...well, you know), I'll bring an '85 bottom panel thing to Fierorama. Also, (if I remember) I'll try to fit a notchback tail light in the car. Not sure if I'll have enough room for that and the tail light won't be in great shape, but it might be something you can work on. Email me and let me know if any of this will help.

------------------
    'Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.'

MM

cadaver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2001 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cadaverSend a Private Message to cadaverDirect Link to This Post
    Loki There is no reflective material in the red lenses. Its in the bumper on those little red reflector things.
    Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
    Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2001 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post

[B]Cheever - you sound so surprised!
    Frankly, yes, because I have never liked any clear taillights I've seen. Would like to see those in person someday. I myself won't do it because I'm a stock afficionado (for myself; I don't mind what mods others wish to do).

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2001 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cheever3000:
    Frankly, yes, because I have never liked any clear taillights I've seen. Would like to see those in person someday. I myself won't do it because I'm a stock afficionado (for myself; I don't mind what mods others wish to do).
    [/B]

Cheever- I know what you mean... my Dad has an immaculate Silver 88GT w/T-Tops and I keep trying to convince him to keep it stock, but I'm pretty sure he's planning on sticking a N* in it! And I do Love stock Fieros... it takes more to keep a stock vehicle with 100+k miles in top condition than to 'glass and paint over the problems. My car was quite a wreck when I first got it... so it just seems like the way to go! Maybe someday I'll get a bone-stock GT and keep it that way.

------------------

3.1L High Output
    4 Spd OD Tranny
    and More!
    -Rob Bartlett

Nashco

Feedback score:    (8)
    Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
    Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2001 02:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post
    Rob,

Looks like you've got a great idea on your hands! I'd really love to see what they look like installed/lit up with day/night pics. Is anybody going to try it with the black parts still showing soon? I think I would like it more that way, but would have to see it first. I don't have access to any "spare" buckets to work with, and I'm just not at a point in life when I can afford to put my car out of commission.

Bryce
    88 GT

qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
    Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
    Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2001 07:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaDirect Link to This Post
    Sorry if this has been said, I am not reading the whole thread, got to get to work, but when you replace your bulbs use the led replacements ones, they are VERY bright and I think would really displace the light through the plastic. Great Idea, Im going to do this to my "unfinished or Cheap" looking coupe.

Rob

------------------
    qwikgta@yahoo.com
    88 T-Top coupe, 65K, Header no Cat, 16" GTZ rims, short shifter, swaybar, open element air cleaner, hood vents.
    http://www.homestead.com/robsfieroproject
    http://www.vafieros.com

Wolfhound

Feedback score: (2)
    Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2001 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WolfhoundClick Here to visit Wolfhound's HomePageSend a Private Message to WolfhoundDirect Link to This Post
    Minngreen, It might be possible to add the black divisions between the defusing lens and the exterior lens. If you have the textured side inward a striping tape may work to simulate the division.
    Coy
    mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2001 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post
    Green,

That looks pretty good. I'm not a big fan of clear lenses but I am a big fan of doing something different. I don't think I've seen a GT with clear lenses so you could be the first.

Something else for you to consider: If you move the back-up lights down to the reflector holes (like DXR-DAD) you could use that area as another tail light. Group the light pairs in the middle and the light pairs on the end and you could install sequential turn signals. I always thought that sequentials would look so cool on the GT taillights.

Just an added dimsion,

------------------
    Roy :D
    Just another stock Blue 87 GT

PFF
    System Bot
    MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2001 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
    Thanks everyone for your responses... I'm glad to see that not everyone thinks that this is the greatest thing in existance

Nashco- As soon as I can get two sets made, and pick up the blubs, I'll take some day/night photos to show everyone.

qwikgta- The LED replacements were mentioned somewhere before... don't even recall if it was this thread!? Do you know of any good sources? I stopped by a NAPA auto yesterday and they certainly didn't have any. I'm sorry if I offended by calling other's conversions "Unfinished or Cheap"... not my intention to offend- just my opinion

Wolfhound- I just recieved an email from my brother (who works as an R&D developer/designer for Winona Lighting) and he pointed out that the manufacturer of the lens states that having the texture face the light source allows for an increase of light transmission of more than 30%... so that'll be a must.

mrfixit58- I like the idea of the sequential signal lights... I was reading a thread just the other day about someone who makes a kit specifically for that. This is the part manufacturer: http://members.nccw.net/webe/products/products.htm

------------------

3.1L High Output
    4 Spd OD Tranny
    and More!
    -Rob Bartlett

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2001 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

MinnGreenGT

11545 posts
    Member since Jul 2001
    I've been digging around for repacement bulbs on the 'net. I've found 1157-styel replacement LEDs for $19ea. available in pretty much any color (search for APC Super Bright LED)... whereas I can get colored-glass bulbs for about $7-$10 ea. I know it'll cost more, but I think it'll be worth it to get the LEDs.

Colored Glass Bulbs: http://shop.store.yahoo.com/rodi/apccolglasbu.html

LEDs: http://nextcollection.com/html/ORD-Light~bulbs-Signal,Corner,Tail~and~accessories~bulbs-No-4660-none.cfm

Anyone have any better/cheaper suppliers?

------------------

3.1L High Output
    4 Spd OD Tranny
    and More!
    -Rob Bartlett

Boomtastic

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
    Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2001 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoomtasticClick Here to visit Boomtastic's HomePageSend a Private Message to BoomtasticDirect Link to This Post
    MinnGreenGT - Kick a$$! Let's see those bad Larry's lit up. I've been experimenting with both LED and/or neon versions for the coupes, so I give you props on the difficulty level. (Just for the record, none of my tail lamps are ready, nor will they probably ever be. It's just something I'm screwing around with at this point for my own personal satisfaction ..)

------------------
    Boomtastic

Loki

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
    Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2001 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LokiSend a Private Message to LokiDirect Link to This Post
    We sell the APC LED bulbs at pep-Boys for like 7.99 each

------------------

ICQ# 16477998
    http://members.home.net/loki-mg

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2001 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Loki:
    We sell the APC LED bulbs at pep-Boys for like 7.99 each

$8! These are the acutal LED sets...not just the colored-glass bulbs (which usually sell for $7-$10)?? everywhere else I've checked lists them at $25 retail...

I don't mean to be sceptical, but that's quite a difference. Can you double check part numbers?

The top of the light is made up of 12 little LEDs, and it doesn't look at all like a normal 1157 bulb. Does this look/sound right?

------------------

3.1L High Output
    4 Spd OD Tranny
    and More!
    -Rob Bartlett

[This message has been edited by MinnGreenGT (edited 09-07-2001).]

Simple Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2001 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Simple FieroSend a Private Message to Simple FieroDirect Link to This Post
    I think they look friggin cool. and that has given me an idea with the clear transparent stuff you bought, but keeping my round red lenses in the same place. I don't care if it looks ricerish, it looks good to me. umm do they sell that stuff in other colors like maybe a white, or green for my back ups?
    Again I like I like I like.

PS, I saw your little comment about cheap looking

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2001 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Simple Fiero:
    do they sell that stuff in other colors like maybe a white, or green for my back ups?
    Again I like I like I like.

PS, I saw your little comment about cheap looking

Simple... thanks. The lens I've only found in the white/clear- but the places listed above with the bulbs, have them in Green, Amber, Red, Blue, Purple, and some more... that might be the way to go. I'll probably get the green ones for my "PONTIAC" in the back!

------------------

3.1L High Output
    4 Spd OD Tranny
    and More!
    -Rob Bartlett

Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
    Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
    Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2001 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
    MinnGreen--The sequential turn signal link you posted is a PFF member. Lawrence somebody (I hate it when I can't think of someone's name!). He seems like a real brain when it comes to that electronic stuff. Probably a "can't miss" purchase.
    Fiero_24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2001 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_24Send a Private Message to Fiero_24Direct Link to This Post
    Those do look really good!

------------------
    http://www.geocities.com/fiero_24
    1987 GT

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
    PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave