Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  spring cleaning reminder NEWBIE must read!

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

spring cleaning reminder NEWBIE must read! by BV MotorSports
Started on: 04-13-2004 04:29 PM
Replies: 29
Last post by: BV MotorSports on 04-27-2004 01:11 PM
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2004 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post
Yes its that time of the year. Its getting warm enough for spring cleaning and this is one you can not afford to let slip by. I suggest removing the blower motor and resistor from the spare tire well and clean out all the trash that gets sucked in the HAVC over the fall season.
For those who have never heard of this, you need a 9/32s socket a short extension and a 1/4 inch drive ratchet. Open the hood and look just behind the spare tire on the bulkhead. Toward the pass side under or near the courtesy light or washer fluid filter there will be a grey connector plugged into the HAVC ducting. Unplug the connector and remove the 2 bolts. Now pull the resistor out of the ducting. Stick your finger inside and you will most likely find all kinds of dried leaves and twigs inside there! The coils on the back side of that connector get hot enough to ignite that stuff and nobody wants a Car-B-Q! I usually remove the blower motor and grab my shop vac to help suck all the crap out of there. You will be amazed at how much stuff is in there. Dont end up like this guy!!! I hope this helps. I'll snap off some pics tomorrow and post them to help out those of you that have never done this critical bit of maintenance.

Steven

------------------
'02 Subaru WRX 14.61@91.87mph bone stock
'95 R33 Nissan Skyline GT-R Vspec NISMO stage 1 400bhp
'88 Fiero Formula 5-speed, sunroof, YELLOW! **under restoration**
'87 Fiero GT 4.9/4T60e w/3.33 final drive, ZEX nitrous 65hp shot, 88 cradle w/ 325# coil overs, Poly everything, Upgraded sway bars, KYB's, 16X7 M11's, 11.25 "Zettner" front brakes, Complete MSD ignition w/ 6AL box, Custom 2.5" Flowmaster exhaust, Grand Sport Corvette paint, Carbon fiber interior trim, '98 T/A CD w/ ETR, Reverse Indiglo guages, Pillar mounted AutoMeter O2, Hella H4 conversion.
Follow its built up here:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/027460.html
Sadly... SOLD.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2004 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2004 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post
Hey Minn when you coming across the pond? The weather is turning ummm.... well, better

Steven

MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2004 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BV MotorSports:

Hey Minn when you coming across the pond? The weather is turning ummm.... well, better

Steven

LOL - I'm not exactly sure yet... hopefully sometime this fall (Aug or Sept maybe). I'll be sure to let you know as soon as I do!

MrPBody

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2004 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MrPBodyClick Here to visit MrPBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to MrPBodyDirect Link to This Post
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2004 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
USFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2004 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroDirect Link to This Post

Yes its that time of the year. Its getting warm enough for spring cleaning and this is one you can not afford to let slip by. I suggest removing the blower motor and resistor from the spare tire well and clean out all the trash that gets sucked in the HAVC over the fall season.
For those who have never heard of this, you need a 9/32s socket a short extension and a 1/4 inch drive ratchet. Open the hood and look just behind the spare tire on the bulkhead. Toward the pass side under or near the courtesy light or washer fluid filter there will be a grey connector plugged into the HAVC ducting. Unplug the connector and remove the 2 bolts. Now pull the resistor out of the ducting. Stick your finger inside and you will most likely find all kinds of dried leaves and twigs inside there! The coils on the back side of that connector get hot enough to ignite that stuff and nobody wants a Car-B-Q! I usually remove the blower motor and grab my shop vac to help suck all the crap out of there. You will be amazed at how much stuff is in there. Dont end up like this guy!!! I hope this helps. I'll snap off some pics tomorrow and post them to help out those of you that have never done this critical bit of maintenance.

Steven

wow, you still have that photo! cool, I lost it when my computer crashed. Glad it was saved for Fiero posterity. Cheers, Steve!!!

arte444

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2004 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for arte444Send a Private Message to arte444Direct Link to This Post
This should be good enough persuasion. I found this pic on one of the links.

------------------
-Kyle
Email: arte@sek-c.com
Aim: Littlechugger
1987 Notchback 4cyl. (Busted Tranny)
1992 Corsica 3.1L GT =P

LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2004 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYDirect Link to This Post
hmm wonder if mines dirty makes me want to check

------------------
88 5spd Modified 3800 Series II Supercharged Formula

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2004 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
Yah mine makes a ton of noise... its gotta be lubed up

------------------
1986 Fiero SE

exc911ence

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2004 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exc911enceSend a Private Message to exc911enceDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by arte444:

This should be good enough persuasion. I found this pic on one of the links.

OMG! You sucked in a tribble!

------------------
Still plays with cars!

1986 Fiero GT
1969 Porsche 912

[This message has been edited by exc911ence (edited 04-13-2004).]

PFF
System Bot
lurker

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2004 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post
wetpoop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2004 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wetpoopSend a Private Message to wetpoopDirect Link to This Post
Not a bad idea to check this on most any car. You would be amazed at some of the stuff found on the Cadillacs I work on.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2004 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post
So who's car had the most crap inside there????????? C'mon, I know somene is thanking god they cleaned this area out... step forward with your praise or horror story!

Steven

blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2004 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
BV... thank you for the tip. Big (+) pos for you... and Lurker for posting the good pics in his thread that showed me where to go!
blakeinspace

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2004 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post

blakeinspace

5923 posts
Member since Dec 2001
And I'm no newbie to this either and found it REALLY helpful.... guess what I am doing when I get home tonight?
Soaper

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2004 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SoaperSend a Private Message to SoaperDirect Link to This Post
npot sure... think it might have been you Jnco, but not sure anymore... I just remember someone had there car sitting around for awhile... and when they started it... mice can rolling outta the exhaust pipe along with there lil nest... hmmmm who was that?

Soap

blakeinspace

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2004 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
I did this last night and found a small handfull of VERY dry leaves and particulates. Can we say tinder? I had no idea to do this and am glad I did. I will also pass it on at our next local club meet.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2004 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post
No problem, glad I could help. Sorry I couldnt respond sooner. We just moved to Soham and BT just got our 2nd line added for the DSL but we have to wait 2 weeks for some reason so... back to dial up for now. *sigh*

Steven

87GTBro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2004 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GTBroSend a Private Message to 87GTBroDirect Link to This Post
Did the cleaning today after reading this thread. I found a few leaves in there... probably a whole handful all together. I couldn't believe the poor design Gm did on that system. No wonder so many cars have burnt up. I loosened the whole blower assy cover and tried to get it off, but I gave up after I figured out I had to disconnect the heater core hoses to finish the job. So I just got the water hose and cleaned the A/C coil as best as I could. There was more dirt / mud caked onto the coil than anything else. I was able to clean it off pretty good though.

If anyone else attempts to do this (and I recommend you do) It is easiest if you just remove the blower motor, which is over by the brake booster side. Get someone with a small arm / hand and reach in there and pull as much of the stuff out as you can.

------------------

Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2004 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Just a minor correction. Nearly everything on the Fiero is Metric.

The screws are 7 MM, not 9/32. Even though they are nearly identical in size.

PFF
System Bot
RickN

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2004 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RickNSend a Private Message to RickNDirect Link to This Post
Where does this stuff get into the system? There is a screen at the bottom of the windshield, is this just small stuff that gets through the screen or is there a large open hole somewhere?
lurker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2004 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post
there are several large openings in the screen which lets stuff in over time.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2004 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post
Here are the pics I promised.

I hope this motivates those that have not checked to do so.

MarkJPana

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2004 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkJPanaSend a Private Message to MarkJPanaDirect Link to This Post
i guess i was lucky, i took out the blower motor and found not one leaf. lucky me.
87GTBro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2004 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GTBroSend a Private Message to 87GTBroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MarkJPana:

i guess i was lucky, i took out the blower motor and found not one leaf. lucky me.

Not so fast. There will not actually be any leaves by the blower. They all get blown into the far corner. The air blows through there and the A/C coil is at the far left hand side at an angle. So the air flow blows the leaves/dirt into the corner and gets wedged in there. You'll have to reach in there and feel around. Remove the resistor coils and stick your fingers in there toward the left hand side and feel around. There are not many trees around where I live and park my car and I still had some inside it. You might want to check again.

lurker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2004 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post

Here are the pics I promised

I hope this motivates those that have not checked to do so.

glad to see you're in compliance with the "must photograph coil on sunroof" rule!
Fierokid87

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2004 04:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierokid87Send a Private Message to Fierokid87Direct Link to This Post
Well i dont have any pictures of mine. But I just did exactly what we are talking about in this thread, and It looks like there had been mice in my vents. So I proceeded to remove the blower, and I noticed it didnt turn very well. So as im looking it over i saw three dead baby mice vedged in between the plastic mouse wheel, and the motor itself..........................guess they thought it was an amusement park ride? This also explains why every time I turned on the motor it would not want to blow out the air. Hopfully this cleared up the problem.

Im not going to post pictures of this because I dont want people loosing thier lunch.

Oh I also had to get a new wheel for the blower motor cuzz it had a few of the blades chewed off.

[This message has been edited by Fierokid87 (edited 04-27-2004).]

JKFIERO

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2004 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JKFIEROSend a Private Message to JKFIERODirect Link to This Post
Yeh...This is especiall true for those who have just purchased a car that has sat in a barn or a field for any length of time.
Critters love to nest inthem.
We found out the hard way, but luckly with no damage. Just a big scare.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2004 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post
Wow, baby mice thats crazy!

Well this thread is up to 762 views and I hope it saves some fieros from the fate of the one at the top of this thread.

<plug> if this helped you, dont forget the rating feature! </plug>

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock