Started on: 01-19-2002 09:05 PM
Replies: 14
Last post by: revin on 01-22-2002 02:10 PM
rockcrawl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2002 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post
Just a reminder to anyone who's car collects leaves during fall, be sure to clean the leaves out of the heater ducts. I just had another heater fire, this time on my V8 coupe. It filled the car with smoke and burned a hole through the plastic heater box under the hood. I opened the hood and saw burning leaves shooting out near the spare tire. This is caused by leaves collecting against the resistor for the fan speed control. I'm not sure how they get down in there, but they should be cleaned out annually if your car sits outside under/near trees.

Anyone have any tips on getting rid of the buning leave smell?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MrPBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2002 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MrPBodyClick Here to visit MrPBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to MrPBodyDirect Link to This Post
Eeeeaaah! Scary. I thought the worst leaf problem was that annoying buzz when one gets caught in the blower fan.
Nashco

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2002 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post
Everybody knows how to get rid of bad smells in cars....pine tree air fresheners!!

Bryce
88 GT

Master_Sushi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2002 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Master_SushiSend a Private Message to Master_SushiDirect Link to This Post
Those d*** Fieros are allways catching on fire !!!!!
Fleabitdog

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2002 07:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FleabitdogSend a Private Message to FleabitdogDirect Link to This Post
Find yourself a nice fresh deposit of doggy poo. Smoosh it around in side a rag then throw the rag under a seat. Guaranteed it will take care of the burnt leaf smell. Also makes a great theft deterrant. Seriously though. Maybe set a box of armor-hammer in the car for a few days. Then some freshner?
Back On Holiday

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2002 07:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rockcrawl:
Just a reminder to anyone who's car collects leaves during fall, be sure to clean the leaves out of the heater ducts. I just had another heater fire, this time on my V8 coupe. It filled the car with smoke and burned a hole through the plastic heater box under the hood. I opened the hood and saw burning leaves shooting out near the spare tire. This is caused by leaves collecting against the resistor for the fan speed control. I'm not sure how they get down in there, but they should be cleaned out annually if your car sits outside under/near trees.

Anyone have any tips on getting rid of the buning leave smell?

Damn, that just happened to me friday 1/18/02. Resister? are you sure, my fire started in that box also, but as soon as I started the car... (fan was on though).
hmmm... heres my thread:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/017471.html

Thanks for the info, maybe I wont have to replace the blower afterall, just vacuum out the mess in the box...mine didn't melt I caught it in time.

------------------
84se Silver 2m4
86se Silver 2m6

rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2002 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post
Hehe, I had the sparks shooting out the defroster too. I started the car and drove to the end of the block when I noticed the smoke. I turned the defroster on high to try to blow it out (dumb). In a matter of seconds I could not see my passenger. We bailed! I reached in and popped the hood. That's when I saw the burning leaves shooting out. I reached down to try to pat them out (dumb) and that's when I burned my hand on molten plastic. I had a fire extiguisher, but didn't want to use it and make a mess unless I had to. I just waited a few seconds and it burned out. I'm pretty sure it's caused by the resistor. It is a wirewound resistor that gets red hot when the heater is on any setting but high. I've had this happen in a few Fieros and in a Ford pickup, the blower motor always continued to work afterwards. This was by far the worst one.
hugh

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2002 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hughSend a Private Message to hughDirect Link to This Post
I think I'm cracking up.I know I posted a reply once to this thread,but it's not here.One more time;try fresh coffee grinds.
GT GT 87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2002 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT GT 87Send a Private Message to GT GT 87Direct Link to This Post
I have this problem also . How do I get access to the resister area ??????????
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2002 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
The resistor is in the front compartment. small board screwed to the front of the heater box with 3-4 wires connected to it. I think it's in roughly the same place for both the AC and Non AC cars.

To prevent this takes a bit of work... Take off the wiper arms and the trim below the winshield.

Find the air inlet and cover it with some screen. make sure the screen is tight to the frame all the way around.

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2002 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Good post & replies. I never gave it much thought; always thought the leaf fire hazard was those that collected in eng compartment. But, we have very few trees here that drop leaves. Thanks
PFF
System Bot
RedGTFieroKCMO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2002 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RedGTFieroKCMOSend a Private Message to RedGTFieroKCMODirect Link to This Post
Darn GM electrical ghosts!!! The other day I turned my car off and took the key out and finally noticed the heater fan was still on and blowing on high.
Howard_Sacks

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
User Banned

Report this Post01-22-2002 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Howard_SacksClick Here to visit Howard_Sacks's HomePageSend a Private Message to Howard_SacksDirect Link to This Post
I can't believe I almost missed this!

Me: Um, Jon is it supposed to smoke like that?
You: Yeah, it's ok.. .

Two seconds later

You: Howard! Get the fire extinguisher!

LOL, the smoke smell isn't <i>that</i> bad.

mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2002 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fleabitdog:
Find yourself a nice fresh deposit of doggy poo. Smoosh it around in side a rag then throw the rag under a seat. Guaranteed it will take care of the burnt leaf smell. Also makes a great theft deterrant. ...?

Too funny...

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2002 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
After the fire ate the whole inside of my car, I rebuilt it,sprayed rustolum paint all over the place....no smoke odor anymore kind of smells new!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock