Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Bought a 38 mile Fiero. Is it destine for parts? (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
Bought a 38 mile Fiero. Is it destine for parts? by chester
Started on: 07-01-2003 07:36 PM
Replies: 133
Last post by: jscott1 on 10-13-2003 02:33 PM
chester
From: State of insanity...moved in and comfortably numb...

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2003 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post
Hi all,

I came across a 38 mile 86 Gold SE in the bone yard. Still has the window sticker. Has all options but cruise control. Since some idiot put it out on the yard people started picking thru it. The seats and wing are missing. The deck lid lock was punched out to get access to the wing bolts. The driver fender has a crack (from the boneheads at the yard) other then that the car is in pretty mint shape. It had to be stored indoors all it's life because the Gold paint is in excellent shape except for some scratches here and there, again, doings of the bone yard.

Anyway, here is my dilemma. I bought he car as parts because the VIN plate on the dash is gone. The vin is also scratched off the door. The vin, however, is listed on the original window sticker. I'd hate to part a "new" Fiero, hence, is there any way to replace the vin tag legally?? Is this baby destine to be parted? Here are some pics...

Rob D.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
yashmack

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2003 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yashmackClick Here to visit yashmack's HomePageSend a Private Message to yashmackDirect Link to This Post
wow, im gonna be nohelp here, but here is a bump. Also, why was it in the yard? any ideas?
wiccantoy

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2003 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wiccantoySend a Private Message to wiccantoyDirect Link to This Post
im sure you can do a salvage title to it , but it will take alota work . id love to find that car in a yard near me . id buy it in a heartbeat . very nice find ! and if nothing else works use a vin from a different car .

oh have you tryed to start it? is there any sign's of why it was brought there?

------------------

Kento

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2003 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoDirect Link to This Post
WHY CANT I FIND something like that!!!!!!!

Nice find hope you can re tag it.

------------------
86 "PoSE" Needs every thing but 4 NEW Tires!!! They ride better when new, not like after they sit for 3 years!

$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2003 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
WOW thats amazing, wonder why it was at the yard??

mind me asking how much $$ ??

------------------
Rich AIM: OneFast 2M8
* '86 se: , 2" drop, coil overs, KYB's., ported manifolds
* '86se: ,350 bored .030 over,World Products s/r Torquers - ported, Manley valves, edelbrock 750cfm, carb sanderson cc90's,4:10,Spec stage 3copper puck clutch, MSD-6AL, adj.Koni's, Eibach's,polly. and lots more!!
*'92 BMW 325i : borla exhaust, ST brace, cold air intake

Cadillac Jack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2003 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cadillac JackSend a Private Message to Cadillac JackDirect Link to This Post
Good Lord! Wonder what the history books will turn up here! Seems scary! Wonder if it was ever titled. Perhaps stolen from a new lot and never recovered! Be careful! You could have diamond in the rough... or a rabid white elephant!
mcaanda

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2003 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mcaandaSend a Private Message to mcaandaDirect Link to This Post
If you part that....YOU WILL BURN!!

Nice Fiero....Im sure that it's going to be worth the hassle that the DMV is going to make you run through...

BTW: Being that the car was never reg, Im sure that you can show that it is the orig. VIN that came w/ the car.
If they have their heads on straight, and Im sure that this is going to a stretch, you shouldnt have TOO much hassle.

What you get it for if I may be so bold as to ask?

$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2003 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
you should run the VIN. id bet its never been registered, arround here what they do alot is, if its like a theft recovery from a car lot, the ins. co. will cover it, then if its ever recovered they "Strip it down, and cut it in half, thats what they do at the big junk yard here anyways, its real sad, ive seen too many Good NEW cars thrown away because of somthing stupid like a wiring problem or somthing that prevents a dealer from selling a car, so off to the bone yard it goes

just a thought,

you should do some research and see where it came from any why it ended up where it did, that would be intresting

linenoise

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2003 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for linenoiseClick Here to visit linenoise's HomePageSend a Private Message to linenoiseDirect Link to This Post
Wow what a find, I wish I knew what to say.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2003 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
What a great find! One thing confuses me, though. I thought all Fiero V6's had red spark plug wires, but this one doesn't. They've obvioulsy been removed at some time, since they're not neatly routed. Over the course of the car's life, just about anything could have happened, I guess. Send the VIN off to Pontiac Historic Services and see what history they can dig up on it.

Here's hoping you can title it!!

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 07-01-2003).]

AusFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2003 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post
OMG
How did that end up at a salvage yard. Cant you just like make a new plate for the vin and then worry about retitling from there. It isn't exactly rocket science to make a plate. Surely there is some way to get that baby titled.
Send it to Australia with a new plate. It will have a clean title then

------------------

White 86 GT 4 Speed Manual - Black 86 GT Auto
The Fiero Shop International - Jade Web Design
If you appreciate my contribution please give me a rating

PFF
System Bot
chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2003 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

What a great find! One thing confuses me, though. I thought all Fiero V6's had red spark plug wires, but this one doesn't. They've obvioulsy been removed at some time, since they're not neatly routed. Over the course of the car's life, just about anything could have happened, I guess. Send the VIN off to Pontiac Historic Services and see what history they can dig up on it.

Here's hoping you can title it!!

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 07-01-2003).]

Someone scarfed on the original plug wires. Those were put on for a test fire. The car supposedly runs. Don't have any keys, but bought a new cylinder today.

------------------

383 V8 Finally Running!
2.5" Drop
11" Brakes
17" Revolutions
RCC Coilover Suspension
Updated June 29 '03 www.dirtyratracing.org

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2003 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
What a find. Do you have any pictures of the interior?
chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2003 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post
Ran a preliminary carfax on the VIN on the window sticker. The VIN is authentic and carfax has 0 records. I don't think this vehicle was ever titled or registered. I got a regular bill of sale. I'm going to DMV in the AM to see if I can get tags, then I'll worry about the vin tag.

Rob D.

chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2003 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post

chester

4063 posts
Member since Jun 2001

Originally posted by avengador1:

What a find. Do you have any pictures of the interior?

Patience please...

Cheever3000

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2003 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
Since the VIN plates can't be used on another car, I see no reason why they won't let you "re-plate" it. But then again, reason has nothing to do with the average DMV.

That's an incredible find.

I know where there is an 88GT in a dealership showroom, still new and unsold. They wouldn't even let me get it professionally hauled in an enclosed trailer to the 20th anniversary.

jubjub2m6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
User Banned

Report this Post07-01-2003 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jubjub2m6Click Here to visit jubjub2m6's HomePageSend a Private Message to jubjub2m6Direct Link to This Post
what would possess someone to put a 38mile fiero in a junkyard..heck! 38mile any car i wouldnt mind a 38mile honda even!!! well not really but a good beater car....

oh ya if you part that...i hope you burn!
------------------

If you find my signature offensive, simply dont look at it or call 1-800-WAA-AAAH.
zr-2 hoodscoop, 6"wingstands, ARchie rocker scoops, CRX INtake..MORE

[This message has been edited by jubjub2m6 (edited 07-01-2003).]

smartaxel

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2003 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelDirect Link to This Post
Any chance some yahoo took those tags to toss on his 200,000 mile beater, and sell it as NEW on E-bay? Hence the scratched off door tags?

Oh.. yeah, in case you decide to part it out, I need everything. How's $20 shipped sound?

[This message has been edited by smartaxel (edited 07-01-2003).]

Howard_Sacks

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
User Banned

Report this Post07-01-2003 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Howard_SacksClick Here to visit Howard_Sacks's HomePageSend a Private Message to Howard_SacksDirect Link to This Post
How did that end up in a yard??!!
chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2003 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by smartaxel:

Oh.. yeah, in case you decide to part it out, I need everything. How's $20 shipped sound?

I'll be sure to put you at the BOTTOM of the list!

Rob D.

------------------

383 V8 Finally Running!
2.5" Drop
11" Brakes
17" Revolutions
RCC Coilover Suspension
Updated June 29 '03 www.dirtyratracing.org

[This message has been edited by chester (edited 07-01-2003).]

1985FieroGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 296
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2003 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985FieroGTSend a Private Message to 1985FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
I told my mom and dad, they both say it was probably stolen, watch out....
PFF
System Bot
fiero norm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2003 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero normSend a Private Message to fiero normDirect Link to This Post
What a find. If you remove the left front speaker there will be another vin tag riveted to the space frame. To get it out you would need to remove the winshield. Good luck
MarkJPana

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2003 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkJPanaSend a Private Message to MarkJPanaDirect Link to This Post
mind if i pay ya a visit on my way back when i get my new fiero? dont worry, ill bring a towel haha
~Mark
tstroud

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2003 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tstroudSend a Private Message to tstroudDirect Link to This Post
When I went to mechanic's school in '83 there was a '76 Trans Am that GM donated to the school for test purposes.
It had about 50 miles on it, all from the parking lot.
When the school closed they hads to crush it in the presence of a Gm representative who took pictures for proof.
Too bad, that car was beautiful.
Maybe yours has a similar past but got an easy disposal.
blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2003 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
some guys have all the luck! Well, barring that little stint with the semi...

Nice find, I know she's in good hands. BTW regarding your v8 videos... I felt your confusion in the 1st movie and your joy in the 2nd... The Francis Ford Copolla of Fiero's!

fierobear

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2003 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post
Why not ask your DMV how to deal with the VIN plate problem? There has to be a way. Some states have historic vehicle designations, show car/low mileage, etc. Ask them, maybe there is something they can do.

Nice find. It would be a shame to part it out.

Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 310
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2003 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post
TOTALLY SPEECHLESS!!

------------------
~~Steve~~
~~SmoothGT~~

SmoothFieroGT@Yahoo.com

[This message has been edited by Smoooooth GT (edited 07-01-2003).]

PURPLE REIGN

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 303
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2003 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PURPLE REIGNSend a Private Message to PURPLE REIGNDirect Link to This Post
Well you definatly have all the luck with the finds, but here's how I pull titles on salvage yard cars or impounds..............you will needs to be buddy's with a local auto repair facility or better yet a towing yard that impounds cars, here I can get an impound sheet that is provided by the towing yard that says it has been impounded for X amount of days ( usually 90 ) and under a certain statute the vehicle is now legal for sale and all previous owners were contacted and nobody has made claim to it. Then I can fill out and turn in to the DMV that shows it was sold to me for X amount of dollars. Then they apply for the title right there & give me plates. Let me know you can always bring it here and I can title it
neverendingproject

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2003 03:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for neverendingprojectSend a Private Message to neverendingprojectDirect Link to This Post
Poor car, I hope you don't part it. How in the heck did that happen anyway? At least you have it now and not the junkyard!

------------------
Alan Frazier
'86 GT-'92 3.4 TDC under construction
'84 2m4 daily driver

RossT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2003 03:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RossTClick Here to visit RossT's HomePageSend a Private Message to RossTDirect Link to This Post
Could it be one of those cars that GM donated to the tech schools to play with?

There was one here back in 86. A friend of mine took the seats before the car went to the yard after the tech school played with it.

BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2003 04:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post
WOW is all I can say. You are one lucky you know what!

There has to be one hell of a story how a 38 mile fiero ended up in a j-yard. Thats what I want to hear... well that and how much you picked it up for. Either way.. you did the right thing no matter what by taking that car out of the j-yard. + for you.

Steven

------------------
'02 Subaru WRX 14.61@91.87mph bone stock
'87 Fiero GT 4.9/4T60e, ZEX nitrous 65hp shot, 88 cradle w/ coil overs, Poly everything, Upgraded sway bars, 16X7 M11's, 11.25 "Zettner" front brakes, Complete MSD ignition w/ 6AL box, Custom 3" SLP exhaust, Grand Sport Corvette paint, Carbon fiber interior trim, '98 T/A CD w/ ETR, Reverse Indiglo guages, Pillar mounted AutoMeter O2, Hella H4 conversion and maybe someday it will be done!

Always have engines, fiero parts and accessories for sale. Custom engine swaps and chassis modifications are available.

PFF
System Bot
furious_fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 232
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2003 04:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for furious_fieroSend a Private Message to furious_fieroDirect Link to This Post
Restore that baby to new condition, then enter into some low milage Fiero shows!

------------------
FURIOUS FIERO

'86 2M4-Sold :( ...Looking for V6 Manual

fieroparts.com

Feedback score:    (57)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 185
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2003 06:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroparts.comClick Here to visit fieroparts.com's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroparts.comDirect Link to This Post
This car was never stolen or is it a salvage.
The story goes like this.... about 10-12
years ago this guy called wanting to sell this car to me, the asking price was 13k
I made him an offer of 7k he would not accept.
Three weeks later it was for sale in The Auto Hunter for ? 10k the ad ran 4-5 times
then about 3-4 years later I got a second call (Have his info somewhere pack away) he just wanted to unload this but, was not going to give it away, now it ends up in the junk yard? This guy was from NH, Keen I think and the car was on an MSO back 13 years ago.

[This message has been edited by fieroparts.com (edited 07-02-2003).]

Gordo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2003 06:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GordoSend a Private Message to GordoDirect Link to This Post
Rob, that's another incredible find! In New York State, I believe that you can apply for a new vin if you can not prove the old one however, proof of ownership may be a problem. If they discover that it was stolen, it will be impounded & returned to the original owner.

I just happen to have the vin plate from a gold 87 SE if you need it.

Gordo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2003 06:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GordoSend a Private Message to GordoDirect Link to This Post

Gordo

2981 posts
Member since Mar 2002
By the way, if you do decide that you have to part it, I could really use the front facia assembly.
chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2003 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroparts.com:

This car was never stolen or is it a salvage.
The story goes like this.... about 10-12
years ago this guy called wanting to sell this car to me, the asking price was 13k
I made him an offer of 7k he would not accept.
Three weeks later it was for sale in The Auto Hunter for ? 10k the ad ran 4-5 times
then about 3-4 years later I got a second call (Have his info somewhere pack away) he just wanted to unload this but, was not going to give it away, now it ends up in the junk yard? This guy was from NH, Keen I think and the car was on an MSO back 13 years ago.

[This message has been edited by fieroparts.com (edited 07-02-2003).]

Then why would he remove the VIN tag in the window? I don't think this is the same car Tim.

Rob D.

[This message has been edited by chester (edited 07-02-2003).]

Boomtastic

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2003 08:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoomtasticClick Here to visit Boomtastic's HomePageSend a Private Message to BoomtasticDirect Link to This Post
Looks nicer than you had described! What a bargain!!

------------------
Boomtastic

mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2003 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post
WOW! What a find. A couple of courious observations...

- How was the VIN removed without removing the windshield or busting up the dash?

- Notice... no recall. The front water seal is still in place.

- Pre-87 Fieros didn't have any VIN stickers on the body panels so you can easily replace any damaged panel with a good one tha is painted to match and still be authentic.

- If you can't get a title, you can always turn it into a "trailer queen" for show purposes only . Who needs a title if you only drive it on and off a trailer?

- Lastly, years from now the story of your "find" will be told again but it will be treated as an urban legend. You know, kind of like the guy who buys a practiacly brand new Corvette for $100 from some old lady who said that it was an old car that used belong to he son before he was shipped off and killed in Vietnam. That makes you kind of immortal!

WAY COOL!

------------------
Roy

double-click on this link to follow my interior build-up
[URL=//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/023174.html]
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/031255.html
*** UPDATED 1/24/03 ***

Blue 87 GT w/ 4th generation Firebird interior.
Suncoast Fieros

CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2003 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post
Not to put a damper on this, but why is the sticker on the drivers side ?

All mine were on the passenger side.

I'd look into this really close, the sticker on the wrong side is really strange.

Hope it turns out to be real.

RacinRob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2003 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RacinRobClick Here to visit RacinRob's HomePageSend a Private Message to RacinRobDirect Link to This Post
WOW
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock