Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Bought a 38 mile Fiero. Is it destine for parts? (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
Bought a 38 mile Fiero. Is it destine for parts? by chester
Started on: 07-01-2003 07:36 PM
Replies: 133
Last post by: jscott1 on 10-13-2003 02:33 PM
Slammed Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 206
User Banned

Report this Post07-02-2003 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Slammed FieroSend a Private Message to Slammed FieroDirect Link to This Post
thats unreal..

Hwere did the wrecking yard ever get the car??

Sounds like GM had some sort of hand in it

JM

IP: Logged
KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2003 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CoolBlue87GT:

Not to put a damper on this, but why is the sticker on the drivers side ?

All mine were on the passenger side.

I'd look into this really close, the sticker on the wrong side is really strange.

Hope it turns out to be real.

If I'm not mistaken, thats put on at the dealer. There are a few things that need to be done to a car before selling. Depending on the car, you can do things such as filling it with gas(do that first) drive the car(usually about 7 miles). Remove protective covering from the vehicle. Stuff like plastic wrap on hoods, carpets, etc. You would be suprised at some of the stuff that needs to be done to a NEW car. I used to take delivery on new cars when I was a mechanic. I've had cars where I fill it with gas and clean it up, to cars where I replaced tires that went flat, bumpers from getting "bumped" around, replaced injectors for misfires, batteries, etc. Lots of litte things.

------------------
SSFiero@Aol.com Support Mental Health, or I'll Kill Ya!!
Yellow Formula Signature

• 88 Yellow FORMULA-undergoing ZZ3 350 with Accel 1000CFM Street Ram TPI and Gen VI DFI=345HP/390TQ
  • chevy S10 Parts Fetcher-getting a new engine to haul my fieros(and others)
  • 87SE V6 auto-L4 to V6 done, Daily Driver
  • My Shower Cam
Indy-2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2003 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Indy-2M4Click Here to visit Indy-2M4's HomePageSend a Private Message to Indy-2M4Direct Link to This Post
OMG! What an absolutely incredible find!

I sure hope you can somehow get a title for it. Here in Ohio, if you get a car from a scrapyard with no title, you can do a "Self Assembled" vehicle and apply for a new VIN through the State. It will be a unique number and not look even remotelyn like a GM VIN.

Good luck and PLEASE keep us posted!

------------------
Kathy
Southwestern Ohio Fiero Association
http://sofa8488.netfirms.com

fieroparts.com

Feedback score:    (57)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 185
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2003 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroparts.comClick Here to visit fieroparts.com's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroparts.comDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by chester:

Then why would he remove the VIN tag in the window? I don't think this is the same car Tim.

Rob D.

[This message has been edited by chester (edited 07-02-2003).]

I just know it is the same car! same miles same are of NH same color in one of the photos he mailed me it shows it up on jack stands that is how he stored it. you might see signs of that?

chester
From: State of insanity...moved in and comfortably numb...

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2003 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post
Well we took the speaker out of the dash and guess what I found - a VIN plate! And the numbers match the sticker! I also had a poke at finding the cut codes for the original keys. I had them cut. The ignition key works!! The door key doesn’t but we'll try that one again!

Rob D

------------------

383 V8 Finally Running!
2.5" Drop
11" Brakes
17" Revolutions
RCC Coilover Suspension
Updated June 29 '03 www.dirtyratracing.org

yashmack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2003 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yashmackClick Here to visit yashmack's HomePageSend a Private Message to yashmackDirect Link to This Post
woot! sounds like you may get it all taken care of best of luck to you, thats an AWESOME find!!
fieromadman

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2003 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanDirect Link to This Post
wowzers!!

Get the story behind this one please!!

onfire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2003 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for onfireSend a Private Message to onfireDirect Link to This Post
Simply amazing!

------------------

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2003 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
This story just keeps getting better and better.
Cadillac Jack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2003 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cadillac JackSend a Private Message to Cadillac JackDirect Link to This Post
Wow, I hope your able to get a clear title for this somehow and restore it. The next time you go junk yarding let me know! I want to tag along! Incredible!
Proud88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2003 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Proud88GTClick Here to visit Proud88GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Proud88GTDirect Link to This Post
I believe Coolblue is right about the window sticker. Look at the sticker below the total amount were it says " This label has been aff...etc. Mine came on the right side of the car too. I would really look into how that car got there.
PFF
System Bot
Fiero5

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 367
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2003 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Direct Link to This Post
In NH, any car older than 10 years I believe that does not have a registration and or a title and or is missing a VIN (you have to have at least one original VIN tage/plate on the car somewhere for them to actually see), and then all you have to do is go to your local DMV and get a VIN verification form. Once you have that form (usually the police carry a few with them too) you then contact your local police and have them swing by and do a VIN check on it. You will need your bill of sale from whoever you purchased it from at that time. The police look at the bill of sale, and then do the VIN check and if nothing bad comes up on the VIN check, they then fill out your VIN verification form and hand it back to you and drive away. You then take that back to the local DMV with your bill of sale and then it;s just like any registration at that point. You pay the registration fee and they give you a fresh registration.
We have done this more times now than I can remember
It's really pretty painless and then you are good to go!

Good luck.

Steve

------------------

Almost 400 pics of our 18 Fieros: http://www.cardomain.com/id/fiero5

[This message has been edited by Fiero5 (edited 07-02-2003).]

RacinRob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2003 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RacinRobClick Here to visit RacinRob's HomePageSend a Private Message to RacinRobDirect Link to This Post
someday I will be lucky...
GTFiero1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2003 01:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post
i hate you! i hate you!i hate you! i hate you!i hate you! i hate you!i hate you! i hate you!!! Your a bad man! the only way you can win back your reputation is to donate the car to the Adam Botley fund for kids with 145,000 mile Fieros

Your not even gonna tell us how much you picked it up for?

------------------

--Adam--
1987 Blue GT 5-speed
IM AOL: FieroGT5speed

Lambykin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2003 05:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LambykinSend a Private Message to LambykinDirect Link to This Post
Ok, I think I can offer some assistance here.

First of all, ALL VIN plates were on the left hand side of the windshield. It's not a "sticker" either.

Either you guys haven't totally stripped a Fiero, or you have forgotten one very important piece of information.

There is ANOTHER VIN TAG rivetted to the vehicle, in a hidden location.

Guess where she be? Unfortunately, you have to remove the dash. Once removed, you should have clear access to the top part of the metal frame that the steering column bolts to. There may be other items covering the plate (it's big - a much bigger tag than the one in the windshield), but this TAG should help you with matching the vehicle to the paperwork. Maybe if you're lucky, this second hidden tag (purposely hidden so that the windshield tag can be verified) will be enough to satisfy your DOT.

Good luck. Wish I could show you a picture of what I'm yaking about, but I didn't take photos of the second VIN tag from the Fiero I stripped. The yard thought the VIN had been replaced, but I was able to verify that the numbers matched.

If you remove the dash, and find no large metal tag on the top of that steering column frame, then someone has gone through a LOT of trouble to conseal the identity of the vehicle.

RossT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2003 05:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RossTClick Here to visit RossT's HomePageSend a Private Message to RossTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lambykin:

First of all, ALL VIN plates were on the left hand side of the windshield. It's not a "sticker" either.

I think they were talking about which side the window sticker (the price sheet on new cars) goes on (left or right window) and not the vin tag.

Lambykin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2003 05:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LambykinSend a Private Message to LambykinDirect Link to This Post
Ok, I lied - I DO have a photo of the second tag.

Click on this link, you'll get a fairly hi-res picture of an 85GT on it's side (driver's side closest to the ground).
http://www.assuredcs.com/fiero/wreck.jpg

In the photo, you'll see the rusted VIN tag that you normally would see through the windshield. Just to the right of that, you'll see another plate that is rivetted to the frame (it's just beneath on of those white plastic wiring harness clips). That's the plate I'm talking about that also has the VIN #.

Sorry it's not a close-up, but you CAN see the tags, and get an idea of where it'll be located.

Lambykin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2003 05:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LambykinSend a Private Message to LambykinDirect Link to This Post

Lambykin

619 posts
Member since May 2003
RossT - Thanks - I misread the original post. Sorry, don't mean to get anyone upset.
RossT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2003 06:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RossTClick Here to visit RossT's HomePageSend a Private Message to RossTDirect Link to This Post
I don't think anyone is upset, they are just having a good time with this once in a lifetime find.
Lambykin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2003 06:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LambykinSend a Private Message to LambykinDirect Link to This Post
I apologize for the multiple posts - looks like you already found the VIN tag I was yaking about. Just trying to be helpful.

For reference, if anyone wants to check out the link I posted to get an idea of where the second VIN tag is located, go ahead. I'll leave that pic there for a little while...

chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2003 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post
GREAT NEWS!!!!! I just got off the phone with the local law enforcement agency (for once on a good note ) and the car is salvageable even with the missing VIN!!! I have to take the car to a State police inspection station for them to verify the vin number on the chassis (to make sure its not stolen) and then, for a fee of $30 they will issue me a replacement VIN number issued by the state of New Hampshire. Then the car will be 100% legal!!! I'm stoked!

I washed her last night. All I have to say is WOW!!! The engine compartment and front compartment are immaculate. I even have a set of original Packard wires to go back on her! I'll post some more pics of the car when I get done waxing it. She turns over nicely so a little gas, and plug wires and she should fire right up!

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

Rob D.

------------------

383 V8 Finally Running!
2.5" Drop
11" Brakes
17" Revolutions
RCC Coilover Suspension

PFF
System Bot
chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2003 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post
Coincidently, this car will be up for sale once all the paperwork is straight. If anyone’s interested, please email me. Don't PM - EMAIL ONLY! And please don't send me ridiculous offers.

Rob D.

montage

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2003 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for montageSend a Private Message to montageDirect Link to This Post
Chester, if you give me the VIN I'll run a carfax for you. Just be curious if anything comes up on the VIN you have.
chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2003 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post
Already ran it. Comes up with the right description of the car with NO RECORDS FOUND which I'm assuming means - never been titled.

Rob D.

yashmack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2003 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yashmackClick Here to visit yashmack's HomePageSend a Private Message to yashmackDirect Link to This Post
Great to hear Chester glad youre getting it all straightened out keep us posted on what the law has to say on it.
GTFiero1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2003 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by chester:

She turns over nicely so a little gas, and plug wires and she should fire right up!

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

Rob D.

i would do a complete fluid change before you run it long, i mean, its been sitting for 17 years

SLAMMED87GT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2003 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SLAMMED87GTSend a Private Message to SLAMMED87GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GTFiero1:

i would do a complete fluid change before you run it long, i mean, its been sitting for 17 years

Although Chester had prolly already thought of this, good thing to mention. Fresh Fluids for a "fairly fresh" Fiero!

------------------
'87GT 5" Drop on 17's, Can you say "Bagged"? -on air- (Custom paint, interior, stereo, exhaust, intake, spoiler)

'95 Eclipse GSX, Black, T-25 Turbo, Autometer Pro gauge, Razo shift knob, Intake, MBC

fieros only

Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2003 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post
Chester, you still haven't stated how much you picked it up for. I don't think that if you reveal this "secret" it will devalue what you are estimating you might get out of it. After all you are the one doing all of the legwork to get it street legal and you are the one who found it and are currently verifying it's running condition. I mean that has to be worth something also. This question was asked numerous times and was never answered and I myself am very interested in finding out your purchase price. I am not even interested in buying it just curious to find out.

------------------
A coward dies a thousand deaths..................A soldier dies but once.
Red 86 SE
Yellow 87 GT
Gold 86 SE (wrecked)

1985FieroGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 296
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2003 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985FieroGTSend a Private Message to 1985FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
Probably $100.
Roylmohr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2003 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RoylmohrSend a Private Message to RoylmohrDirect Link to This Post
WHY CAN"T I FIND THESE!!!!!!! 2M4 Dale had to tell me this was not a joke. I didn't even look at this thread yesterday.
summerjim

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2003 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for summerjimClick Here to visit summerjim's HomePageSend a Private Message to summerjimDirect Link to This Post
I've seen the car and can say it's no joke!!

It's amazing the "new car smell" is still there after so many years.

PFF
System Bot
chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2003 06:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1985FieroGT:

Probably $100.

Not that cheap. It does have 38 miles on it you know.

Rob D.

[This message has been edited by chester (edited 07-04-2003).]

chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2003 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post

chester

4063 posts
Member since Jun 2001
Well all I have to say is SHAWEEETTT!!!

Got her to fire up today. Sounds sooooo good! All power options work (as expected of a 38 mile car) Boy does she run nice!

Here are some pics of her nice and clean.

She still has that new car smell to her!

Hopefully will take her for a little cruise around the storage complex this evening. (freaking hot out already!)

Rob D.

------------------

383 V8 Finally Running!
2.5" Drop
11" Brakes
17" Revolutions
RCC Coilover Suspension

[This message has been edited by chester (edited 07-04-2003).]

Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2003 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierofreak00:

Chester, you still haven't stated how much you picked it up for. I don't think that if you reveal this "secret" it will devalue what you are estimating you might get out of it. After all you are the one doing all of the legwork to get it street legal and you are the one who found it and are currently verifying it's running condition. I mean that has to be worth something also. This question was asked numerous times and was never answered and I myself am very interested in finding out your purchase price. I am not even interested in buying it just curious to find out.

What I already said!

------------------
A coward dies a thousand deaths..................A soldier dies but once.
Red 86 SE
Yellow 87 GT
Gold 86 SE (wrecked)

JohnnyK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 354
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2003 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyKSend a Private Message to JohnnyKDirect Link to This Post
Define rediculous offer?
chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2003 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnnyK:

Define rediculous offer?

Anything under $5000

SLAMMED87GT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2003 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SLAMMED87GTSend a Private Message to SLAMMED87GTDirect Link to This Post
Wow, that is one hell of a nice find dude! get that thing as mint as possible and put $6000 tag on it!

More money for the RAT!

------------------
'87GT 5" Drop on 17's, Can you say "Bagged"? -on air- (Custom paint, interior, stereo, exhaust, intake, spoiler)

'95 Eclipse GSX, Black, T-25 Turbo, Autometer Pro gauge, Razo shift knob, Intake, MBC

fieros only

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2003 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Does it still have the original winshield washer fluid? I believe CoolBlue said his is purple.
chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2003 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Does it still have the original winshield washer fluid? I believe CoolBlue said his is purple.

Nope. It's bone dry. I don't think it ever had any fluid in it!

Rob D.

CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2003 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post
Chester, How long did they say it sat outside in the yard ?

Are the wheel center caps missing? Can't tell by the pic.

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 07-04-2003).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock