So... Who wants a HUD unit? by Riceburner98
Started on: 12-06-2002 01:35 PM
Replies: 244
Last post by: FieroMaster88 on 08-18-2003 11:43 PM
MikeH

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2003 01:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MikeHSend a Private Message to MikeHDirect Link to This Post
Bob: You have a PM

Mike

IP: Logged
torxed

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2003 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for torxedSend a Private Message to torxedDirect Link to This Post
Check your PM, Paypal's sent!

It's for a blue unit, MPH only. Thanks!

TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2003 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
So, lacking any motivation to work on the 92 other projects I have going, I pulled out one of the HUDs and hooked it up.

Works great! I did discover that if I mount it on top of the instrument cluster so it reflects into tinted area at the top of the winshield, there is no ghosting. The green is viewable in the day time, but still dim. The amber is pretty dark.

Not being of sound mind I removed the defroster grill and dropped in down into the darkness. I know the GTP HUD is essentially in a dark tunnel so ambient light doesn't hit it. Strange, but even the amber is viewable in the day time but it wasn't mi-day so I will check it tomorrow. It displays at the bottom of the windshield but still in the field of view. A piece of tint there would solve the ghosting problem. Now to find a way to mount it and open the grill up.

Rice said the blues are the brightest so I might get one of them.

Terry

Riceburner98

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2003 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
Woohoo! Experimentation is good! Now that I have a drivable Fiero, I want to try a few things like that, if I get the time to install a HUD in my own car.. I almost bought an '85 Speedo today to try and figure out what's up with those... Almost, because after removing it 5 minutes before they closed, I almost called the guy a moron.. It was all rusty, from the car having no windshield, and broken plastic on the gauge face cover. Looked like hell, even the guy said so. So I go to pay for it, and he hands me a bill for $26!!! I'm like "HUH?" So I said I didn't have $26 on me (I didn't anyway..), and left. I wonder what he'd want for a non-rusted one!! I've bought almost-new Saturn clusters for $10 elsewhere! Crazy.. One last place to check tomorrow for an '85 cluster. Someone on Pennock's has offered one if I can't find one locally, so hopefully it won't be *too* long before the '85 issue is solved. BTW, Good work TK! Can't wait to try the tint and "dark tunnel" ideas myself... So happy to be driving a Fiero again!!!!!!
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2003 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
I have a old 85 cluster out of my 88 from when I first got it. It's missing the wires that go from the circit board to the motors for the speedo/tach, but they are just unpluged, not cut. I'm sure we could work something out if you want it. Let me know.

PS: I'll be sending $ soon for my own HUD unit.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock