So... Who wants a HUD unit? by Riceburner98
Started on: 12-06-2002 01:35 PM
Replies: 244
Last post by: FieroMaster88 on 08-18-2003 11:43 PM
Maetrix66

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2003 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Maetrix66Click Here to visit Maetrix66's HomePageSend a Private Message to Maetrix66Direct Link to This Post
I'll take my blue one You have me down for, just let me know when they are ready. you'll be able to add on the tach option when it is ready, right?
IP: Logged
Chris_narf

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2003 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_narfSend a Private Message to Chris_narfDirect Link to This Post
Considering I can nearly read my vin plate in the dash when the sun reflects off it, I figured reading an LED shouldn't be an issue. One of my coworkers has a vette that has the HUD; I've seen it work in the parking garage, but haven't looked at it in direct sunlight. I can send you $$ for a couple of red ones whenever you are ready. There's no real big rush here as I won't have the time to install until the end of the month.

Just as a thought, I know that the Toyotas use a photocell to detect the light conditions to turn on the dash lights. That might be able to provide a sorta autodimming. DON'T WORRY ABOUT MODDING OR REDESIGNING THE EXISTING UNITS. I know you've been working really hard on these and I know how precious free time can be. Just something that's been floating around in the back of my head. Thanks

------------------
-Chris
'85 SE

TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2003 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Chris_narf:

Considering I can nearly read my vin plate in the dash when the sun reflects off it, I figured reading an LED shouldn't be an issue. One of my coworkers has a vette that has the HUD; I've seen it work in the parking garage, but haven't looked at it in direct sunlight. I can send you $$ for a couple of red ones whenever you are ready. There's no real big rush here as I won't have the time to install until the end of the month.

On my GTP, if the sun hits the HUD mirror just right it washed out the entire HUD and you can actually see the complete display in reverse. That rarely happens. In normal use in bright sunlight, you can see the HUD just fine but then it's VFD rather than LED.

fierogt3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2003 02:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt3Send a Private Message to fierogt3Direct Link to This Post
If it works at night, its good enough for me. Ofcourse, I will have to start sleeping during the day if that is the result.

Only have a few hours till I must go to sleep. Start practicing now.

[This message has been edited by fierogt3 (edited 07-12-2003).]

Nashco

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2003 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post
I'm in the thick of things myself trying to get ready for the 20th, so I understand where you're coming from! Any update on the HUD units?

Bryce
88 GT

Riceburner98

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2003 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
I was going crazy trying to get my engine installed for the show... But that's not going to happen now... I gave up - there was a chance that all the parts would come together on Tuesday, but I didn't want to take a just-finished first-time engine swap on a 1000 mile test drive.. So I'm taking my Neon R/T instead. More room, and hey, it has A/C! LOL Anyway.. I was building the HUD's earlier, the new production boards are working as they should. Power supplies are still "cool", literally. No heat at all coming from them, which is more than I hoped for! I've got to start an "assembly line" tomorrow, building these things one at a time takes about an hour each one! I'm going to build as many as I can tonight and tomorrow night, so I can bring them to the show. For the guys that have paid already - do you want me to ship them out still, or would you rather pick them up at the 20th if you'r going? I know some of you are leaving early this week, so they won't make it before the show... I hope to have like 50 done before the show, but I'd better get reeeealy good at my assembly line for that to happen! These parts are just so small.. Anyway, they're just about done, so I should be shipping them soon. Well, bringing them to the show, and shipping them afterwards. It's almost time to leave, I can't believe it! Man I need sleep... LOL Gotta get up for class in 5 hours! Woohoo!
Nashco

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2003 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post
I'll pick mine up at the show if you tell us how we can find you. Also, will you have a printout for installation instructions? That would be helpful, because I'll probably be putting mine in the day I get it.

Bryce
88 GT

Riceburner98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2003 02:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
Yeah, that's going to be interesting... Considering I won't have my Fiero there.. I hadn't really thought of that I guess! I could give out my cellphone # if that would help, but that might get kind of wierd. Or find the black Neon R/T in the parking lot... Or somethin.. I'll have to figure that one out! Maybe I can hook up with one of the vendors, and leave either business cards, or flyers there or something. I'd like to get one installed and have it running as a demo in someone's car, if that's at all possible. Probably need to cover the outside of the windshield to make it a bit darker inside and easier to see though. I'm actually going to bring my soldering iron, heat shrink, tools and stuff in case people want me to install them there. I'm going to include those squeeze-on "T-taps" with the thing, but soldering is definitely the best way to go. And yeah, I'll get some kind of instructions with pictures together by then too. Not too hard - +12v, Gnd, and Speedo (2,000 ppm output to the PCM) at the speedometer connector, and the Tach signal at the tach connector if you think you'll want that in the future. That one doesn't have to be connected, and is easy enough to do later when (if!) the Tach one is ready. Oh yeah - payment at the show will have to be either money order, or cash.. I don't want to get into taking checks, and I'm not set up to take credit cards other than Paypal. I hope to be able to connect to the internet while at the hotel, so I can update this post, and other stuff.. Ok, now I'm really going to bed! Really! LOL See you all at the show...
tjfennel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2003 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tjfennelClick Here to visit tjfennel's HomePageSend a Private Message to tjfennelDirect Link to This Post
I want a blue one

Sent the request for one in a PM, but just in case you didn't get it or forgot

Freshj

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2003 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FreshjSend a Private Message to FreshjDirect Link to This Post
YGPM

------------------

My Cardomain page

Nashco

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2003 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post
Bummer, they weren't ready at the show! It sounds like Riceburner (Bob) ought to have them ready pretty darn soon though. Keep us updated.

Bryce
88 GT

PFF
System Bot
fierogt3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2003 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt3Send a Private Message to fierogt3Direct Link to This Post
...just picked up my paycheck today
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2003 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
can't wait to see pics of prototype speedo tach ones
have you decided on the display?

i was thinking it'd be like this...

MPH tach
~~~~~~~~

with the speed in large numbers - tach in small numbers and a bar along the bottom

Riceburner98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2003 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
Every time I think I have time to finish these things... Monday after class I couldn't do anything because I was completely wiped out from the drive back from Michigan.. Today I stopped in to look at a Fiero for sale locally, (which turned out that the 88 coupe I went to go see / buy was sold the previous day for $300!!) that turned into an all-day project, and it's now 10:30pm.. Tomorrow I'm supposed to go to dinner with some people I used to work with and haven't seen since last year. Thursday I have to go meet with a guy I was working for because I quit working on his project, and I have to give the new guy the research. (and probably get screwed out of the $500 he already gave me for working on it and I spent going to Michigan..) Friday I have to go pick my girlfriend up after school, and that pretty much blows the entire weekend. I haven't seen her in like 2 weeks now because of stuff that keeps coming up, like the 20th show and stuff, so I don't want to blow that off. But damn, I want these freaking things done sometime this year. (As I'm sure you guys do to!!!!) Maybe I'll just stay up really late tomorrow, if I can. (Allthough tonight I *completely* missed about 1/2 mile of highway - I was going to stop at a gas station, I stopped at the stoplights about 1/10 mile before it like I've done 100 times, and all of a sudden found myself 1/2 mile down the road at a shopping plaza......... Aliens?? Or did I black out.... Scared the hell out of me either way.) Oh yeah - I told some people at the show that I had brought everything to the hotel at the 20th to finish up the 20 of these that I've got 3/4 done, right..? Well, I almost did. I brought the soldering stuff, heat shrink, wires, and lenses. But when I got home, I found another box I had packed, with the tools, plugs, boxes, and components to finish building the power supplies!!! That's how far I got building them at the show - I didn't even realize I was missing half the crap I was supposed to bring. Ok. I'm going to bed now.. Is the room supposed to be spinning?? Maybe I'll feel better in the morning.........
MikeH

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2003 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MikeHSend a Private Message to MikeHDirect Link to This Post
How's it goin Bob?
Nashco

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2003 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post
Yes, bump, I say, BUMP!
Riceburner98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2003 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
*EDIT* I forgot to ask - does everyone want the MPH / KPH jumper installed?? If not, I can just drill the hole for the dimmer resistor, and not the MPH / KPH.. It defaults to MPH without it. (At the same time, anyone not want the dimmer resistor in there?) Now would be the time to tell me either way, before I drill the holes... Here's a shot I took a few minutes ago, of the current status - Just need to attach the connecting wires to them and I should have almost all 20 of them ready to ship tomorrow after school. In which case they'll ship out on Wednesday afternoon. (fingers crossed!) But seriously.. They should be out on Wednesday for those that have paid so far. Everyone else can either pay now if they want, or if you want to wait and hear how the first guys' like them that's cool too. I'd like to get some people's reactons as soon as they're installed, if that's OK.. Wish I had my Fiero running to take some pics of it!!! As for the second picture.. My '01 Neon R/T just hit 50,000 miles, as I was pulling into my driveway tonight. Seriously, it's at exactly 50,000 miles right now out there. Cool timing!! (and I just drove about 50 miles today..)

[This message has been edited by Riceburner98 (edited 07-30-2003).]

fierogt3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2003 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt3Send a Private Message to fierogt3Direct Link to This Post
Good to hear, the second pic didnt work...but I'm excited to hear what the 1st guys think about them. SO SHIP THEM OUT FINALLY!
Nashco

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2003 01:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post
I don't plan on going past 120 mph in any foreign countries, so you can leave the KPH jumper out on mine. Of course, I do still want the dimmer resistor. I'll be glad to put this in, I sure hope it's worth the wait! Seriously, it ought to be a cool toy.

Bryce
88 GT

Riceburner98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2003 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
ARGH!!! I'm beginning to wish I'd never started this... So here I am, it's about 11pm Wednesday night. I've built a few of these things before, with these new boards, and they've worked perfectly. (sent 2 to Skitime just before the 20th, which worked when I tested them, but he hasn't had a chance to wire them yet) Also the one I brought to the 20th (blue one) was working perfectly. Or at least seemed to be.... Anyway, I was just about to put the lenses on a few of these that are "ready" to go.. Now all of a sudden, the center number is dimming the bottom segment, only when certain numbers with a "3" are displayed!!! (like 36mph or 130mph, but not 38 or 131mph!!!) If I bring my finger near the pin on the CPU chip that drives that signal, the segment comes back! I don't even have to touch it, just be near it! (now, that same signal drives all 3 numbers, but only the center one is affected....) I'm going to go insane!!! Turns out by using the brighter displays, and therefore having to stick in a bunch of transistors, it looks like I'm driving the CPU a little too hard with the resistors I have installed. I have a way around it, but it means I have to remove and replace 7 resistors on 20 circuit boards!!! Madness... Just madness... Looks like I'm coming home tomorrow after school to finish these things instead of getting to work on my poor neglected engine swap... I'm going to try and get a few done tonight so I can ship them tomorrow right after class, but man this lack of sleep is killing me! On top of all this, a Ford club guy I know thinks he can sell 100 if they'll work with Ford Tauruses... I'm going to go insane trying to build that many!! Sorry, just had to vent to someone... I hope I haven't scared anyone away with all this, but if I have and anyone wants to cancel an "order", just let me know... I know it's been waaaaaaaaaay longer than I ever thought possible for having these things done.. Almost there!
fiero go fast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2003 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero go fastSend a Private Message to fiero go fastDirect Link to This Post
Bump to page 1
PFF
System Bot
Riceburner98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2003 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
Well, I was able to get 3 completely done last night, and just mailed them a few minutes ago. Matt - you're one of them.. Nashco and Pyrthian are the other 2. I don't have a lot of mailing addresses, for those that have confirmed, or even a few who have paid already.. If you're on the list, and still want one it would help if you could send me your mailing address so I'll have it down when it's time to ship out. Still need an address from CTFieroGT87 and TK (you guys are paid up, just need to send them out. I've sent PM's also) Can't wait to hear back from the people who install them! Wish my Fiero was ready for one!!!
fiero go fast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2003 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero go fastSend a Private Message to fiero go fastDirect Link to This Post
Sweet! I will let you know how it goes Rice, thanks alot! I'm so excited.

Matt

Nashco

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2003 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post
Well, I got mine in the mail today, installed it in about six minutes...seriously easy, just the way I like it! Pretty cool! I'll try and get some pics of mine installed tomorrow if anybody is interested.

Bob, I'm sending you a PM now.

Bryce
88 GT

FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2003 03:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
I'm interested in a red one! What do I have to do as far as payments? Send me a PM and let me know!

Thanks!

------------------
James Essar
88 Coupe 3.2L V6 With NX Nitrous

60* V6 Power! Bring it V8's
SAVE THE SHAUN

Paul Taylor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2003 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Paul TaylorClick Here to visit Paul Taylor's HomePageSend a Private Message to Paul TaylorDirect Link to This Post
Just Recieved mine in the mail today !!!
Whhhoo........

See post. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/032346.html

Paul Taylor. UK

Tina

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2003 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TinaSend a Private Message to TinaDirect Link to This Post
Still interested

LMK when you have a red one ready to go my way.

Tina
PM please. E-mail is a mess at the moment.

tednelson83

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2003 04:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tednelson83Click Here to visit tednelson83's HomePageSend a Private Message to tednelson83Direct Link to This Post
did you get my order of a blue one?

------------------
thank you
Ted Nelson
1985 Pontiac Fiero 2.5 SE
"Dark Angel"
211,000 miles and still runing!!!
tednelson83@aol.com

Riceburner98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2003 07:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
I don't think I did.. If it was in a PM recently, then that could explain it - a few days ago all my PM's blew up and went away.. There were a few I hadn't read yet. Dunno what happened. I'll put you down for one, just let me know how soon you want it, and method of payment. (there are a few things that might need some attention, but might not affect you at all --> https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/032247.html ) Thanks!
tednelson83

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2003 03:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tednelson83Click Here to visit tednelson83's HomePageSend a Private Message to tednelson83Direct Link to This Post
did you get my order for a blue one?

------------------
thank you
Ted Nelson
1985 Pontiac Fiero 2.5 SE
"Dark Angel"
211,000 miles and still runing!!!
tednelson83@aol.com

Riceburner98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2003 06:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post

did you get my order for a blue one?
I don't have you down for one.. Was it in a PM? My PM's got vaporized by the PM eating monster, or something like that.. I'll send you a PM and we can work out the details. Thanks!
PFF
System Bot
FREHLEY1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2003 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FREHLEY1Send a Private Message to FREHLEY1Direct Link to This Post
Any Blue Ones Yet???
Riceburner98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2003 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
Yep, blue ones are a go. I'm actually surprised at how many people want the blue ones! Still my fav. though.. Just shoot me a PM if ya want one! (EDIT: I've PM'd ya GTDude... I didn't want to reply to my own topic agian.. It's already 6 pages! lol)

[This message has been edited by Riceburner98 (edited 08-07-2003).]

GTDude

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 287
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2003 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeDirect Link to This Post
I still want a red one in mph and kph. How do I get one? How much is it and who do I pay? When can I expect delivery? Thanks.

Phil

------------------
87 FIERO GT 2.8 5spd
0-60 in 6.8 seconds!
87 FIERO CPE 2.5 5spd
86 FIERO SE 2.5 AUTO
87 FIERO GT 2.8 4SPD
84 FIERO SE 2.5 4SPD
If you found my advice helpful, please take the time to give me a positive rating. Thanks

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2003 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Direct Link to This Post
These things are going like hotcakes. How long will they be available for?

------------------
1986 Fiero SE

Riceburner98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2003 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
For quite a while... I have 200 boards, and when those run out it's only a few clicks to order more.. Let's see if I can stay sane after building 200 though! These parts are TINY. The resistors (like 20 of them on each board) are about the size of 2 "periods" at the end of this sentence! Literally. And the 3-pin transistors aren't too much bigger!
MikeH

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2003 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MikeHSend a Private Message to MikeHDirect Link to This Post
Hey Bob: You shipped any more since the first batch? If so are you ready for us to send the money in yet?

Mike

Riceburner98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2003 06:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
Yep, go for it! Just send me a PM to sort out the details. Thanks!!
torxed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2003 06:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for torxedSend a Private Message to torxedDirect Link to This Post
Definitely count me in for a blue unit.
I just got done installing the Pro Car Parts
EL Guages and I think this will go well with
them.

I'm ready to send via paypal, I just need
to know the exact amount to send. $67?

What is your ETA on getting them made?

Riceburner98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2003 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
As soon as I get home on Tuesday I should be able to get some done for shipping on Wednesday. I've got a few orders to ship out soon. Torxed, you've got a PM!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock