So... Who wants a HUD unit? by Riceburner98
Started on: 12-06-2002 01:35 PM
Replies: 244
Last post by: FieroMaster88 on 08-18-2003 11:43 PM
fieroluke

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2002 06:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolukeClick Here to visit fieroluke's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierolukeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

This is kind of off topic but do you think you could design a circuit to make the Fiero fuel gauge run backwards?

You should be able to just rewire it. There are two coils inside the gauge, one pulls in one direction with a constant force, the other pulls in the other direction with a variable force (i.e. controlled by the sending unit).

There is a shunt resistor to adjust the force of the constant coil. If you just swap the connections, the gauge should run backwards, but of course I've never tried this so this may or may not work.

Good luck!

------------------
Visit my website: www.fieros.de for lots of technical and other Fiero related information

IP: Logged
fieroluke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2002 06:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolukeClick Here to visit fieroluke's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierolukeDirect Link to This Post

fieroluke

357 posts
Member since Mar 2001

Originally posted by Synthesis:
How accurate is the system going to be for those of us with 120 MPH Speedos and 85 MPH Speedos? As well as those of us using the original Speedo wire and aftermarket guages?

The crystal on the speedo has no influence on the speed display of the HUD. It is for calibration of the needle only.

The VSS signal from the tranny is taken by the speedo, divided by two in frequency, and fed to the ECM (and cruise). It is this signal that the HUD taps into, so the speed will be exactly the speed read by the ECM.

Of course the speed reading will be off if you mount a different set of tires, but then it will be off on your stock speedometer as well.

Hope this helps,

-Oliver

------------------
Visit my website: www.fieros.de for lots of technical and other Fiero related information

fiero go fast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2002 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero go fastSend a Private Message to fiero go fastDirect Link to This Post
I'm very interested in the idea, would you like so make some sort of list of people who are interested? Keep us all posted, as if you weren't going to.
Matt

------------------

Red 86 SE 2.8

Rate me if I've helped or just if you liked my responce.

MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2002 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
I'm definitely interested (in possibly 2 or even 3 of 'em). Preferably (2) in Green.

Let us know if you need/want any pre-orders to help fund the purchase of necessary supplies.

Nice work!

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

Riceburner98

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2002 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
Well.. Most of the parts are already bought. I really need to go through this post and pick out all the names of people that want them, and how many. Thing is, I only had 48 boards made originally. I had thrown them into another order, to keep the cost down, and that was as many as I could fit. So I'm down to 44 to be sold, after beta's, one for myself, etc.. I can definitely order more, but to keep the price the same I'd have to order about 200 of them.. Boards anyway.. If I can verify that they work with other cars, and some stuff like colors, and packaging, I may just order that many.. Or I may end up waiting 'till the tach versions are designed, then put the parts on one board.. What I could do, is sell just this speedo for now, then for the tach one, have a "trade-in" where someone would send back the speedo-only one, and the upgrade $$, and get back a tach/speedo one. Then I'd be able to sell those speedo ones as just speedos later. I'll do another reply with a list of people that want these after a while, so I can keep track. I didn't expect this good of a response honestly! You guys are cool... Thanks!

------------------
Bob Williams
Multi-colored '87 GT, a work in progress! (Got my 3800SC, installation to start very soon!!!)

VISCERAL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2002 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VISCERALSend a Private Message to VISCERALDirect Link to This Post
Put me in for one as well please keep me posted as to when they will be available and what kind of housing they will be in. Thanks.
Patrickmcp@hotmail.com

------------------

Patrick Szewczyk
1987 Fiero GT, 5 spd, sunroof CDF clutch, Koni's all around, Ground Control coilovers in the rear, lowered 2" -dropped spindles-front, poly bushings: control arms-sway bars-cradle-motor-dogbone, rear sway bar, pioneer cd player, 180 stat, 176-166 fan switch, MSD Coil, Rodney Dickman's short shifter, bushings, etc..., 11.25" big brakes w/Ebrake, k&n filter, I have a 3800SC SII that's goin in soon w/ 3.25 pulley, comp cams vs cam, ported heads, haltech engine mngmnt, WCF headers, stainless exhaust, + 17x7.5 MiM Venezias wheels + 225/45/17 and 235/40/17's ---------------Also have a 1996 3800 Series II 25k MOTOR FOR SALE.

WMac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2002 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WMacSend a Private Message to WMacDirect Link to This Post
Put me in for one as well please keep me posted as to when they will be available
AgaricX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2002 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AgaricXClick Here to visit AgaricX's HomePageSend a Private Message to AgaricXDirect Link to This Post
I emailed you.

I am extremely interested in a blue one with a tach.

Do you have any idea how much money you would make if you could adapt this to some common import cars?

Heck, if it already works on a 94 Eclipse I can sell at least 10-15 for at least $150.

It's all in the marketing.

Rob Ernst

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2002 02:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rob ErnstClick Here to visit Rob Ernst's HomePageSend a Private Message to Rob ErnstDirect Link to This Post
I WANT ONE AND I WANT IT NOW!!!! Ok, stepping off of soapbox... I'd LOVE to have one especially if I can send it back to ya later for a Tach Upgrade.... I think it should be like this...

### MpH <--- Display MPH or KPH Too
0000OOOOOOOOOO <--- 14 Segment LED of RPM's
#### RpM <--- Actual RPM AND word RPM

(one segment per 50 RPM) REALLY cool if it could be Green up to 4500K, Yellow for 5000k and red for 5500-7000k (Hey you asked for input)

But for now, I'll take a Speedo (Especially if I can have it in BLUE! but Orange is cool too) with the understanding that I can swap it out later for a Speedo / Tach unit...

RobErnst@techie.com
GoldFieroRob@Netzero.com

86 Pontiac Fiero SE V6 4 Speed
over a QUARTER OF A MILLION MILES!!!!

Waiting patiently for the funds and wife approval of a Caddy 4.9 / 5 Speed swap and a paint job...

------------------
86 SE V6 4 Speed

Rob Ernst

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2002 02:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rob ErnstClick Here to visit Rob Ernst's HomePageSend a Private Message to Rob ErnstDirect Link to This Post

Rob Ernst

329 posts
Member since Feb 2002
Forgot to mention... I wanna beta test the HUD TACH for ya... Especially if it has a bargraph on it...

------------------
86 SE V6 4 Speed

Mikes88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2002 05:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mikes88GTSend a Private Message to Mikes88GTDirect Link to This Post
Can you make them in purple LEDs? I may be interested if you can.
PFF
System Bot
Riceburner98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2002 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
Ok.. Looks like blue, and possibly purple (a blue LED, with a red lense) will be possible. (will have to investigate the purple though!) Thing is, it will add about $10 - $13 more to the price, for the speedo only board.. Same for the tach option.. The blue LED's definitely aren't cheap! They also have a different pin setup, and would need a different LED circuit board, and possibly more transistors because they take a higher current to run. But possible! Would have to be added to the next run of CPU boards, to be able to add the extra transistors to the circuit boards.. I'm not sure if the LED bargraph will be possible or not, as the software is already written, and that would require a change.. And the MPH / KPH / RPM words would be cool, but may be very hard to create, as it has to read backwards to work in the windshield.. Maybe if mirrors are added to the display... But then it starts to get more and more expensive...
dizmon_85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2002 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dizmon_85GTSend a Private Message to dizmon_85GTDirect Link to This Post
I'm interested in speedo/tach combo inside a case but would accept just the speedo with possible exchange later. I would like the red as that's the color of the other dash lights now.
I'm assuming there will be basic instructions for the non-literate electronic people like me. Keep us posted as to when and how we can purchase them.
Fiero_Tim

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2002 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_TimSend a Private Message to Fiero_TimDirect Link to This Post
Hey Riceburner, I'm still interested, I've been wantign one of these for ages. Any idea what sort of box it will have? I hope its the same dimensions as the box in the picture I posted before, that way it will sit in between the dash and guage cluster.

Thanks,
Tim

------------------

1985 RHD GT
No Fear?...You haven't been in my Fiero

Riceburner98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2002 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
Yeah, that's what people seem to want.. I'll be able to get to my Fiero tomorrow, so I can measure the space and figure something out. I also want to figure out a quick-disconnect plug, like a headphone jack, but it would have to have 4 connections for a tach option.. I still have to get a list of people going... Just haven't had the time yet...

------------------
Bob Williams
Multi-colored '87 GT, a work in progress! (Got my 3800SC, installation to start very soon!!!)

dizmon_85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2002 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dizmon_85GTSend a Private Message to dizmon_85GTDirect Link to This Post
Bump to the top.
Let's keep this one alive!!!
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2002 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
I'll take one in blue! Again,just let us know.
Sacred

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2002 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SacredSend a Private Message to SacredDirect Link to This Post
I'll take a red one with the speedo and tach...don't care if it's a trade in or not...
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2002 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Rice Burner, again, if you are interested, I have the capabilities of making a box, or having one molded to fit in between the cluster and dash. If you still need a beta tester, I would be capable of making a box for it. Also, would be willing to do what was discussed in the emails we sent.
Riceburner98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2002 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
Synthesis: email sent. Still working on getting the proper case and LED boards going, and unfortunately getting delayed with work that I promised would be done for my employer by Jan1. The "beta" HUD will be going out shortly.. Still have to order some blue LED's to see if they'll work, can't wait to get my hands on those!! I'll let you guys know!

------------------
Bob Williams

Sacred

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2002 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SacredSend a Private Message to SacredDirect Link to This Post
When will the speedo and tach HUD units be ready?
PFF
System Bot
Riceburner98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2002 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
Well, the speedos will be ready shortly.. I just designed the LED boards for some new LED's last night. (and ordered some sample LEDs) The Speedo LED board will take red, green, amber, or blue LED's, all interchangeable. (blue LEDs are $$ though.. Looks like $10+ extra. Green / amber maybe $1-2 extra. Red is cheapest.) Just have to solder in different resistors to get the current right for each color. The tach option won't be going for probably a couple of months. We need to look at the tach. signal coming from the tach. filter, and figure out how to deal with it, so the circuit won't get any nasty voltage spikes.. A matter of checking it out with a scope, but just don't have the time right now.. I've also ordered a couple of plastic boxes, hopefully one of them will be a good size to wedge between the cluster and the dash. Should be ready in January if everything goes as planned. Stay tuned! I wrote up a list of people who want them, just have to take the time to type and post it..

------------------
Bob Williams

AgaricX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2002 06:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AgaricXClick Here to visit AgaricX's HomePageSend a Private Message to AgaricXDirect Link to This Post
Well, I'm interested in a blue Speedo now... and a tach when they're ready.

And a VERY real possibility of a few hundred more

I'll start testing on some of the cars around here and see what we have going.

KlaX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2002 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KlaXClick Here to visit KlaX's HomePageSend a Private Message to KlaXDirect Link to This Post
you could probably just wire it to the same #4 and #7 wire on the back left connector to the gauge pod as I did my el gauges, they work with the dimmer so it really cool to see everything dim with my el gauges.

------------------

[ My Fiero and WhiteFieroGT's Here ]
[
1987 GT - 5 Spd - 69K ]
[
El Gauges - C5 Corvette Yellow ]
[
Mr.Mikes Seats - FieroGT Floormats ]

Maetrix66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2002 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Maetrix66Click Here to visit Maetrix66's HomePageSend a Private Message to Maetrix66Direct Link to This Post
I know this may be getting ahead of myself, but another thing that would be cool is a boost gauge. I know that you would have to use an aftermarket sender, but it shouldn't be too hard to find a cheap one that would work. I know you guys are still working on the tach option and finalizing the speedo, but it's just food for thought, there are alot of us out there with turbo fieros that would pay quite a bit for a hud w/boost guage. I think this is one of the best ideas in awhile, keep up the work guys, I'll get one when they're ready!
DGREEN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2002 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DGREENSend a Private Message to DGREENDirect Link to This Post
Put me down for a blue tach and speedo.
PM me when I can get these.
Thanks I can't wait
dizmon_85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2002 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dizmon_85GTSend a Private Message to dizmon_85GTDirect Link to This Post
Any updates on this fantastic item?
fierochild

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2002 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierochildSend a Private Message to fierochildDirect Link to This Post
Put me down for a green tac/speedo combination.

Chuck

------------------

GTDude

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 287
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2002 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeDirect Link to This Post
I'm easy.....I just want the red HUD unit as in the picture. Let me know when they are ready.......I am!

Phil

------------------
GTDude
OVER 25 years GM experience

Riceburner98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2002 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
Well.. I've selected a box that should work very nicely.. It friction-fits in the left-most side of the instrument pod / dash space, but is loose towards the right side. (that space actually tapers..) Most people will probably want it on that side anyway, but spacers could be added to it to make it fit towards the right side. I've designed the LED board for the Speedo-only version, but haven't ordered it yet. (Christmas bills!!) I also need to find the colored plastic / plexiglass for the covers. I have Red, Green, Amber, and Blue LED's, all can be used with the same board. Looks like Purple is out for a color.. Turns out I'd need to either find a Purple LED (which I haven't seen anywhere) or use a white LED with a Purple filter. (haven't seen white either..) I've built a buffer chip into the display board to be able to handle the higher current Blue LED's with no problem, and actually increased the size of the LED's a bit - to .6". Still looks like Mid-January for a ready date.. I've got one "beta" of sorts out for testing, but have yet to send Synthesis his.. I need to mount it into the box that I picked up, and get that out to him. (sorry for the delay Synthesis!) As soon as I get that prototype completely finished, I'll post a few pics of it, and the list of people that I've collected so far. Thanks everyone!!

------------------
Bob Williams

dpoole34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2002 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dpoole34Send a Private Message to dpoole34Direct Link to This Post
Bob,
I would like one when the speedo and tach version is complete..... I will even come and pick it up!
Dave
PFF
System Bot
Rob Ernst

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2002 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rob ErnstClick Here to visit Rob Ernst's HomePageSend a Private Message to Rob ErnstDirect Link to This Post
Bump...

You've got MAIL...

Can't wait to get one of these...

------------------
86 SE V6 4 Speed

paulcal

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2002 02:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for paulcalSend a Private Message to paulcalDirect Link to This Post
I want one. Red is fine by me since my 85gt will match it.

------------------
@#&%* It's DEAD again.
AIM-jaxpac257

Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2002 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Well, I got the HUD unit. No LEDs as discussed... BUT, I am hunting them down locally anyways. Looks like a very tight unit, and can not wait to get it fired up. Already have the boxes being estimated on pricing... You found one though by the looks of it...

Anyways, so far, they are telling me to hit Radio Shack and buy boxes. It would be cheaper they say. LOL

I dunno. As for the lens, just a piece of colored lexan would be great. Even if the LEDs are red, toss them behind a red piece of lexan, or a tinted piece.. Would work great. Make sure the lense can hold up to cleaning. If someone wipes it down and the lense pops into the box, you got issues.

Riceburner98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2002 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
LOL, yeah, it would be bad if the lense popped out. (or in as the case may be) The box that looks like the best bet has a recessed lip that the lense will fit into, which will keep it from going in. As for attatching everything, I'm thinking about filling the box (at least partially..) with black Epoxy. The whole front of the box will be a translucent plastic (Need to find that still!!) so if I don't fill in with something, you'll be able to see inside to the circuits.. Not that it would be a bad thing, but more professional I think if you can't see in. Wish I could have sent some LED's along with yours, but I'm down to the 3 that I'm using in my other projects, and since I'm switching to a diff. type for the HUD (and other projects in the future) I didn't want to order any more of that kind.. The new ones are bigger though! By a little bit anyway. Still looking like mid-January for full production. (that's if I can find a good source for the colored plexi / acrylic! - I need 1/8" blue, green, red, and amber... Anyone have ideas?) I may order a sheet from "Selectproducts.com", but they're huge, and I'd have a LOT of leftover.. 'Specially in blue and amber.. Anyway, I'll let everyone know when the status changes on these...

------------------
Bob Williams

WMac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2003 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WMacSend a Private Message to WMacDirect Link to This Post
Hey Bob, I spoke with jim today @ tap plastics. they can laser cut the lenses for about .25 cents each. there would be a digitization charge of $100.00 that he said he would wave for friends and employees. he said they could build the box's as well in grey or black.

So i need to know the EXACT size, or better yet if you have a red one,send me mine A.S.A.P. and ill give it to him to take a template off of. they have , RED, YELLOW, BLUE, ORANGE, PURPLE, GREEN, and can order in other colors with two weeks notice.

E-Mail me and ill send payment.

------------------

WMac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2003 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WMacSend a Private Message to WMacDirect Link to This Post

WMac

320 posts
Member since Feb 2002
Also take a look here they have the White Led displays. http://www.kingbright-led.com/ProductSearch.asp?Category_Name=LED%20Display

------------------

Paul Taylor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2003 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Paul TaylorClick Here to visit Paul Taylor's HomePageSend a Private Message to Paul TaylorDirect Link to This Post
I definately want a speedo HUD !!.

If you can make up one and ship it to the UK consider 1 unit sold !!.

If you can do it my e-mail is
paul_taylor@onetel.net.uk

Contact me and we can talk about payment etc.....

Many thanks,

------------------
Regards,

Paul Taylor, England.
85 GT, 2.8 V6.

Riceburner98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2003 02:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
WMac: Sounds like a plan.. Dunno if you got my reply by email or not, but if possible, could you PM or Email me your phone #? I'd like to get the plastic going ASAP. Pyrthian probably thinks I've forgotten about him.. I still haven't sent him the "Beta" unit! I only have one of the plastic enclosures right now (the rest are backordered.. hopfully shipping to me soon!) so I can't send a complete one to him yet.. I will as soon as I get the plastic enclosures in. Would be nice to get the "beta" out *before* the final units! At least it will include a "real" LED board, I ordered them a few minutes ago. (will have them Tuesday 1/14) The only parts I'm missing now are the plastic enclosures and the colored plastic lenses. As soon as they are 100% ready for production, I'll put up the list of everyone that's asked for them along with what color / type / how many they want, and start looking for some $$. Then after these are produced we can start working on the Tach versions, and do some "upgrade" / swaps for those. Thanks everyone! They'll be ready soon!!! (Also going to be making some digital gauges too, as a side note.. Oil pressure, Water temp, Boost pressure, Battery voltage.. Will be similar to the HUD, available in blue, red, green, or yellow. May or may not make them direct-replacements for the Fiero instrument cluster. Depends on how many people want them I guess...)

------------------
Bob Williams

Riceburner98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2003 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
Well, I got the LED display boards in today.. (still waiting on the plastic enclosures, and the lenses. Anyone seen WMac around the forum lately?? I haven't heard from him for a while...) I'm not too pleased with them. Turns out the buffer chip for the LED displays is picking up "noise" or false inputs, causing the display to freak out unless I install 7 resistors to +5v.. Soo... I'm re-designing the board again, this time it will be all on one board, and much simpler, as the 2 seperate boards I have now have to be physically cut from a larger sheet by yours truly. Fortunately I can use these LED boards in my other upcoming digital gauges, so it's not a total loss. With the new boards I won't have to cut anything, or add jumper wires, just have to install the parts and it's ready to go. It's frustrating - I wanted to have these things shipping by now!!! Hope everyone's still interested, the expenses keep climbing, with no income to offset them! I'm still going to wait to collect the $$ until they're ready though. Thanks everyone!

------------------
Bob Williams
Multi-colored '87 Mutt, a work in progress! (Got my 3800SC, installation to start very soon!!!)

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock