Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Let find the best darn photo of a stock Fiero (Page 3)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
Let find the best darn photo of a stock Fiero by skitime
Started on: 12-23-2002 10:44 AM
Replies: 125
Last post by: skitime on 02-27-2003 01:01 PM
KlaX

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2002 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KlaXClick Here to visit KlaX's HomePageSend a Private Message to KlaXDirect Link to This Post
I have a spare fiero sunroof and I thought it was mirror tinted, but just the stock tint with no light behind it makes it look like a mirror.
IP: Logged
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2002 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
My 88 GT

My 87 GT

[This message has been edited by Old Lar (edited 12-30-2002).]

skitime

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 332
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2002 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post
Old Lar Pic1 Grade B+ This pic had a lot of potential. You needed to walk about thirty feet to the right as well as move the car to maintain the good angle you had on the car. The tree is distracting to the tower and the steps which are directing your attention down to the car, which is great. Wish the electrical wires were gone too. I like how you did not center the car top to bottom as well.
Pic2 Grade=A- This a very good shot. Things that prevented the A+ are the blending of the black of the trees and the front of the nose. Also the object setting behind the car. It makes you wonder what it is. I know you would not do this for a personal shot but for a brochure shot the front license plate would have to go.

Since we are now on page three let me explain again what I am doing in this thread. I have taught photography for several years. I am evaluating the photos in regards to their photography only. Think of this as we are trying to find great shots that would be worthy of being in a Fiero new car brochure. So the cars would have to be totally stock. I do not intend to offend anyone. I am only evaluating the photograph.

Morninglight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2002 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MorninglightClick Here to visit Morninglight's HomePageSend a Private Message to MorninglightDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skitime:

Morninglight - Grade A+ I really like this shot. I could easily see it in a brochure. You know with the caption "Its the perfect car to go out on the town in" The lighting is great except the area above the front tire. I love the drive texture and great lighting on the background. Good Job!

Thnx

I do some occasional photographing on big raves, so mostly people. The shot above was taken in a hurry at a gasstation when I just bought the car.

I'm still waiting for a nice and sunny day to get some better pics..

I kinda like this one too:

No flash (duh) Long shutter time (dunno how many sec though)

------------------

'85 Fiero 2m4

Nederlands Fiero forum

[This message has been edited by Morninglight (edited 12-30-2002).]

TM_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2002 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TM_FieroSend a Private Message to TM_FieroDirect Link to This Post
here's a pic of my formula

Howard_Sacks

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
User Banned

Report this Post12-30-2002 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Howard_SacksClick Here to visit Howard_Sacks's HomePageSend a Private Message to Howard_SacksDirect Link to This Post
Best picture I could find of mine:

Hey, my paint actually looks good in the pic.

skitime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2002 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post
Morninglight Interesting but would not make the brochure since we can't tell what car it is. (We all recognize it) Time exposures are a lot of fun. You never know what you got till you get the pics are back. I like how you like to play with light and are using a film camera. They leave you more options usually.

TM_Fiero Grade=A- This is a very good pic but has some problems. First it apprears that you are using a wide angle lens. Probably an equilivent of a 28mm or so for 35mm camera even if it is a digital camera. What makes that apparent is the bending of the light pole. Rain and fog are a great time to get the camera out. You got the reflection of the car on the blacktop with it being wet. Some detail got lost on the car but the mood of the photo doesn't seem to hold it back very much. Too bad the building on the right and the light pole got included. I love the low clould in the background. You should of tried several shots in the area to make the most of it.

Howard_Sacks Grade=B- Certainly a Fiero in competition might be found in a new car Fiero brochure. The background gets distracting. Especially the SUV behind it. There is a light line right up the middle of the door going over the rear quarter panel. Not sure what caused this. I believe you might of enlarged the photo too which is evident but the jagged edge on the GT fastback section.

[This message has been edited by skitime (edited 12-30-2002).]

Morninglight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2002 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MorninglightClick Here to visit Morninglight's HomePageSend a Private Message to MorninglightDirect Link to This Post

Morninglight Interesting but would not make the brochure since we can't tell what car it is. (We all recognize it) Time exposures are a lot of fun. You never know what you got till you get the pics are back. I like how you like to play with light and are using a film camera. They leave you more options usually.

I don't have a film cam, all my pics are taken with a Sony DSC-P5 3.2MP cam Hence the noise on the pics with less daylight, the flash doesn't reach that far... max 9.2ft/2.8mtr

------------------

'85 Fiero 2m4

Nederlands Fiero forum

skitime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2002 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post
Gee, I got to get a better digital so I will know their capabilites better.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2002 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
Emars, I don't know if you're at Red Rocks, or Garden Of The Gods, but the Gods were certainly smiling on you when you made that find. Sharp!

My 'puter's down and I don't want to download the PIP onto this borrowed laptop. Anyone post some pictures for me?

Howard_Sacks

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
User Banned

Report this Post12-30-2002 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Howard_SacksClick Here to visit Howard_Sacks's HomePageSend a Private Message to Howard_SacksDirect Link to This Post
Well, I tried.

Next time I'm at a race I'll tell the dork that tows his Z06 to move his SUV so I can get a better shot

And that's not pixilation, that's *style* Pretty good for an old digital 8 camcorder I thought.

PFF
System Bot
kslish

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2002 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kslishSend a Private Message to kslishDirect Link to This Post

I have to kinda disagree a little about Morninglight's shot. It's that kind of shot that makes the covers of car brochures. I've got a new car brochure around here (I don't think it's a Fiero one though) that has a shot just like that on the front of it. It catches your interest and compels you to look inside the brochure so you can find out what kind of car it is on the front.

Pontiac did something similar with one of their Fiero brochures. The cover is just a close up shot of the Fiero's headlight door (the one with the Pontiac embossed in it). You'd never know what the car really looks like from the pic, but it grabs your interest.

Ken S.

skitime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2002 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post
Good point, kslish
PURPLE REIGN

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 303
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2002 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PURPLE REIGNSend a Private Message to PURPLE REIGNDirect Link to This Post
ROSST if you ever even CONSIDER selling that car, call me FIRST & I'll be standing at the door !!!!!!
PURPLE REIGN

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 303
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2002 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PURPLE REIGNSend a Private Message to PURPLE REIGNDirect Link to This Post

PURPLE REIGN

4080 posts
Member since Sep 2002
Hey ROSST if you ever even CONSIDER selling that car, call me FIRST & I'll be standing at the door
TM_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2002 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TM_FieroSend a Private Message to TM_FieroDirect Link to This Post
skitime,
thanks for the tips. I used a digital camera, the pic was a spur of the moment kind of thing. I took it in a mcdonalds parking lot outside of seattle the day i picked the car up. i was heading for pennsylvania so i didn't want to spend much time with pics. I do want to get some nice pictures next year and your advice is appreciated.

happy new year

tm

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2002 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post

Old Lar Pic1 Grade B+ This pic had a lot of potential. You needed to walk about thirty feet to the right as well as move the car to maintain the good angle you had on the car. The tree is distracting to the tower and the steps which are directing your attention down to the car, which is great. Wish the electrical wires were gone too. I like how you did not center the car top to bottom as well.
Pic2 Grade=A- This a very good shot. Things that prevented the A+ are the blending of the black of the trees and the front of the nose. Also the object setting behind the car. It makes you wonder what it is. I know you would not do this for a personal shot but for a brochure shot the front license plate would have to go.

Since we are now on page three let me explain again what I am doing in this thread. I have taught photography for several years. I am evaluating the photos in regards to their photography only. Think of this as we are trying to find great shots that would be worthy of being in a Fiero new car brochure. So the cars would have to be totally stock. I do not intend to offend anyone. I am only evaluating the photograph.

Thanks for the critique, Ski. 30 feet to the right and I'd been in the Erie Canal. I think on one of my Photo shopped versions of the photo I did get rid of the electrical lines. I was standing on a picnic table at the time, which was chained in place. I was just out driving around after cleaning the car, stopped took a couple of shots and left. Now if I can find which CD I moved the original.

#2 I can maybe boost the contrast and get rid of the neighbor's shed two doors down. It is amazing what can be doe with digital editing. Another photo I took 5-6 years ago after a day of car cleaning.

Spyhunter

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2003 05:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpyhunterSend a Private Message to SpyhunterDirect Link to This Post
Monza76

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2003 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Photography has been a hobby of mine as well, I will take a look to see which pics I could post, Like Skitimes commentaries.

Ira

BTW... bump

------------------
Ira Crummey
1984 econo coupe
1985 coupe
The Iron Duke Resource Site

Denny

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2003 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DennySend a Private Message to DennyDirect Link to This Post

------------------
Mid Atlantic Fiero Owners Association
New England Fiero Association
Keystone State Chapter, P.O.C.I.
P.O.C.I.

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2003 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Here is what my 1984 looked like when I found it:

Here is a detail shot:

Here is my 1985 interior:

Here is a nice evening shot:

And here is how it looked lunchtime today!!

Sorry to post so many pics but I will be interested in comments. BTW First shot was with a very simple fixed focus p&s camera taken by my (then 12 year old) son. The rest were taken with a Kodak DC200 digital camera.

Sorry, I didn't read the post carefully, my wheels, crests and interior are not stock. Enjoy the pictures (it is still a chance to show them) and again excuse me for not paying attention (especially Skitime who started this thread).

Ira

[This message has been edited by Monza76 (edited 02-26-2003).]

PFF
System Bot
stimpy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 386
User Banned

Report this Post02-26-2003 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stimpySend a Private Message to stimpyDirect Link to This Post
My favorite shot of my car in stock (kinda) condition. Taken on the side of Route 66 in Arcadia, Oklahoma.
Robert Wright

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2003 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert WrightClick Here to visit Robert Wright's HomePageSend a Private Message to Robert WrightDirect Link to This Post
Pictures of my Baby Blue :

[This message has been edited by Robert Wright (edited 02-26-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Robert Wright (edited 02-26-2003).]

skitime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2003 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post
Wow, I am surprised this thread was bumped back up. Since it has been a while let me explain what we are trying to do. We are trying to find photographs of totally stock Fieros which would be good enough quality that the photo would be a likely canidate for a Fiero brochure. I am offering my critique of your photo. Please no flames and I know everyone has there own opinion and I welcome yours.

Spyhunter Grade=C- This picture has some thing going for it and more going against it. This is a great angle to shoot the GT. It really accents the body lines. The closeness of the camera to the car has created some distortion and I would suggest to move futher away and crop if needed to reduce the distortion. The background is a little cluttered and does not help the photo. The car appears dull as if almost dusty so that detracts too. There appears to be some type of photo retouching at the rear wheel and where the exhaust tips should be.

Denny- Grade=C Wow, now Denny I know you have thousands of Fiero pictures and this is not your best. This comes across as a snapshot and not a well thoughtout photo. too many distracting backgound items such as the poles. The melting snow gives the impression of the car is leaking too. I also find it distracting that the car is not parked in the lines. I am surprised you are diving it on a day like that since last winter you took it off road into a tree on ice. lol You still need to fix that crack at the right turn signal.

Monza76 I am trying to limit this to totally stock Fieros. Let me comment on the wheel shot despite not being stock. I mentioned earlier in this thread I believe that closeups of the Fiero are a good way to get a dramatic and interesting effect. The angle of this shot made the wheel gap apprear worse than it actually was. A closeup also shows up dirt and in this case rust on the rotor so the shot would not be a "brochure shot" Still the angle of the photo is interesting.

stimpy - Grade=B- This reminds me of a vaction type photo. It could be a great photo but what holds it back is that it appears to not be in sharp focus. More than likely the camera is the fault of the focus but possibly camera shake. When you get the opportunity for a great shot take several at different angles to improve the chance of a great photo.

Robert Wright - Let me critique the first one which I feel is the best. Grade=B+ I like this shot and the feeling of a frosty country morning. It could of been cropped better leaving less at the bottom and right side. Sharpness is off but probably from the dampness in the air which lends the feeling of morning. The fender flap of course would not be in a new car brochure. I also like the third shot.(Glad to see you back into a Fiero after losing both of you Fieros in that crash)

------------------

Red 88 GT T-Top 3800 Supercharged
White 88 GT Stock
Please give me a rating if you appreciate my contribution.

[This message has been edited by skitime (edited 02-26-2003).]

Denny

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2003 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DennySend a Private Message to DennyDirect Link to This Post

Denny- Grade=C Wow, now Denny I know you have thousands of Fiero pictures and this is not your best. This comes across as a snapshot and not a well thoughtout photo. too many distracting backgound items such as the poles. The melting snow gives the impression of the car is leaking too. I also find it distracting that the car is not parked in the lines. I am surprised you are diving it on a day like that since last winter you took it off road into a tree on ice. lol You still need to fix that crack at the right turn signal.

You barked about just about what I figgered you would! LOL!

Actually, all my stock photos are at home.

That shot is from a new camera that I just got, am learning how to use it, hence the "test" photo.

And I should have known better than to ever tell you what happned to the nose . . .

[This message has been edited by Denny (edited 02-26-2003).]

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2003 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Thanks for the comments, I tried a few variations on that wheel picture and, despite its flaws, that one was probably the best. These were all taken primarily for a web site so the camera was just a 1MP digital (actually the evening shot was tgaken with an old Kodak DC40 which is only about 700X500). I'll break out the Pentax when the weather improves and try for some better shots (I'll have the stock wheels on it by then.)

Thanks again
Ira

solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2003 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoDirect Link to This Post
Hey how about Fieros saved from the crusher? How about works in progress?
Garethster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2003 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GarethsterSend a Private Message to GarethsterDirect Link to This Post

88 Fiero GT -- Original paint -- not washed.

skitime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2003 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post
Garethster - Grade=A- No fair posting pics of my favorite color and model. lol I believe this picture could of been improved by including more of the backgound and not centering the car. Read my prior comments in this thread on not centering the pictures.
Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2003 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
There is a pretty good article on photographing your car at: http://www.cobracountry.com/fototips/home.html

It isn't a great article but it does have some suggestions which could produce good results and it has some comments on using digital cameras.

I think Skitime has done a great job here, it is good to get some feedback on your work.

Ira
check out http://www.k12.nf.ca/gc/photoclubweb/gallery1.htm

Garethster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2003 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GarethsterSend a Private Message to GarethsterDirect Link to This Post
Skitime,

Unfortunately what I submitted was a cropped and severely compressed picture dictated by the size limitations of PiP. The original picture IMHO looks way better.

Thanks for nice rating.

Gareth

PFF
System Bot
Ronnie

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2003 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RonnieSend a Private Message to RonnieDirect Link to This Post
skitime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2003 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post
Ronnie - Grade A- This is a great shot but lacks sharpness. Also the car should of had the sun on the Drivers side. The late afternoon sun can really help create strond shadows which can help make the shot more dramatic. So I assume you won at Daytona with the car. Nice car.
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2003 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Garethster:

Skitime,

Unfortunately what I submitted was a cropped and severely compressed picture dictated by the size limitations of PiP. The original picture IMHO looks way better.

Thanks for nice rating.

Gareth

Gareth... if the original image is too large for PIP- email it to me at rob@xtralite.com and I'll do a bit of scaling & compressing to make it work.

litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2003 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdDirect Link to This Post
Okay, Ski...ALMOST stock...it's an 86 with an 88 paint scheme.

skitime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2003 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post
litespd - well it is not stock and has tinted quarter windows and painted mirrors too so I will not grade it. Like the last picture the sun is in the wrong direction. Remember a professional would be there when the sun is in the opposite direction. It is a nice picture but fall short of an outstanding one. You did show effort to find a pleasant surrounding. Try to learn to work with the light.
Ronnie

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2003 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RonnieSend a Private Message to RonnieDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Ski. Yeah , the light was wrong , but mainly because it was early morning , and I didn't want to get wet,LOL. I do like the angle of that pic tho, even tho it is a bit fuzzy. Yeah , we won "Best of Class- Daily Driver" . Was really surprised because of the quality of cars in the class.
Would using a flash have helped any to fill the color better?
litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2003 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the advice, Ski...I appreciate it! One thing I've noticed in some of the pictures posted here are the trees that are "growing up out of the roof". Hot Rod Magazine did an article a few years ago on taking photos of your car, and although I don't remember a lot of it, the tree comment stuck with me. They advised against having "singular trees" behind your vehicle...a grove of trees would be okay, but a single tree gives the impression that it's growing out of your roof, and takes away from the focus of the shot. And...I'm almost guilty of that...

[This message has been edited by litespd (edited 02-26-2003).]

skitime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2003 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ronnie:

Thanks Ski. Yeah , the light was wrong , but mainly because it was early morning , and I didn't want to get wet,LOL. I do like the angle of that pic tho, even tho it is a bit fuzzy. Yeah , we won "Best of Class- Daily Driver" . Was really surprised because of the quality of cars in the class.
Would using a flash have helped any to fill the color better?

I doubt a flash would of been bright enough. Pros would of used a refector screen.

Robert Wright

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2003 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert WrightClick Here to visit Robert Wright's HomePageSend a Private Message to Robert WrightDirect Link to This Post

Robert Wright - Let me critique the first one which I feel is the best. Grade=B+ I like this shot and the feeling of a frosty country morning. It could of been cropped better leaving less at the bottom and right side. Sharpness is off but probably from the dampness in the air which lends the feeling of morning. The fender flap of course would not be in a new car brochure. I also like the third shot.(Glad to see you back into a Fiero after losing both of you Fieros in that crash)

Yes I couldn't stay away long .... what was it ... one week maybe (Longest week of my life) And I'm still placing notes on other
Fiero owners cars.wanting to know if They are interested in selling them. One Fiero is just not enough.
But I must admit .. everyone was right if
you want a 4 banger get an 87 or 88 there seems to be a world of difference after having an 84 and 85 / no more tinty engine sounds / now if I cound find an 88 t-top, v-8 conversion, .... I'd be in heaven. Hint... Hint .

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock