Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Let find the best darn photo of a stock Fiero (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
Let find the best darn photo of a stock Fiero by skitime
Started on: 12-23-2002 10:44 AM
Replies: 125
Last post by: skitime on 02-27-2003 01:01 PM
MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2002 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
I personally have a preference for both Coolblue's 1st pic ('cause I spent a bit of time in photoshop with it, and because it makes a great poster ), as well as RossT's Red GT (which also makes a great poster! ).

I know I have thousands of pics around here, but I think I recently lost most of them in a hard drive crash... I'll have to see what I come up with!

This one is great (although I just realized that the wheels aren't stock- doh!). This is Chester & Elvira's Formula. The photo is cropped a touch close, and the pavement isn't exactly perfect- but it is otherwise quite a nice pic.

...and after further searching, I find that all the really cool pics I have are of modded cars- the rest of my "good pics" are on a hard drive in a shop someplace in minneapolis! Maybe I'll try and dig a few more out later...

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

IP: Logged
kslish

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2002 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kslishSend a Private Message to kslishDirect Link to This Post
Drats, I gotta improve my C grade that I got from Skitime on my last pic (although the lighting is intentional, the paint is shot on my GT....especially on the top surfaces where the clearcoat has failed so all I have is side profile shots).

Ken S.

skitime

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 332
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2002 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post
MinnGreenGT No doubt those are great pics of Cools and RossTs cars. The shot of Chesters t-top is a interesting angle but not stock wheels or seats. The driveway edge detracts from the photo as well as the dirt on the driveway.

Kslish Pic2 Grade=B This had a lot of potential. This background is promising but the barn should of been closer. The drive and bank at the edge of the drive sets the car in a poor angle. The low late fall sun is great for creating strong sharp shadows.

Morninglight

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2002 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MorninglightClick Here to visit Morninglight's HomePageSend a Private Message to MorninglightDirect Link to This Post

(I removed the ugly striping)

pretty stock

------------------

'85 Fiero 2m4

Nederlands Fiero forum

crazyd

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 140
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2002 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazydClick Here to visit crazyd's HomePageSend a Private Message to crazydDirect Link to This Post
Hey Skitime,

I'm glad folks haven't taken offense to your critique and kept this thread from going down in flames, because your comments have been quite educational for me. My next round of shots on the blue V8 GT will hopefully be that much better, even if it still won't qualify as stock-exterior. Thanks!

"Without criticism there is no improvement."

While many of the cars represented here are excellent original-condition examples, I think the photograph which comes closest to being brochure-quality is Mickey-Moose's yellow GT. Those pictures look like they were lifted straight from Pontiac's archives.

Dave

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2002 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
I agree that this is an awesome thread!! Unfortunately none of the pics I have of my cars in stock form are worthy of brochures. I didn't bother to take any nice pictures until after I added wheels and whatnot.

Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2002 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
Skitime >> thanks for all the comments, I am hoping that this thread will at least help me take better pictures - for me the worest part about taking the picture is visualizing how it will look on the film as what you see thought the lens does not always seem to be the same.

My pictures, I think the only way to impove the lighting would to light the car from a separate source as the car was in the shadows from the river bank to the south? Yes?

thanks again, keep it up

Tim

skitime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2002 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

Skitime >> thanks for all the comments, I am hoping that this thread will at least help me take better pictures - for me the worst part about taking the picture is visualizing how it will look on the film as what you see thought the lens does not always seem to be the same.

My pictures, I think the only way to improve the lighting would to light the car from a separate source as the car was in the shadows from the river bank to the south? Yes?

thanks again, keep it up

Tim

Tim, timing is everything when doing natural outdoor light. The same photos might of been perfectly lighted a half hour earlier. Most of us do not sit around waiting for the perfect light, me included. Professionals might have tried to use a reflector to bounce some sunlight into the foreground or did the shoot in a 2 hour block. Again the lighting you had enhanced the color of the trees and work perfectly with the car. The biggest mistake most amateurs do is to center the car in the photograph. That is usually a big no no. Most photo in this thread have done this. Let me try to illustrate.

Before notice how you centered the car.

After, now I could only crop it but you can get the idea if you would of had even more senery to the front of the car. I also lightened it so you can see how more light in the foreground would improve it.

You fell victim to centering in all these pics. Use your hands to cover the bottom and right side of each of those photos and see how they improve. Today in the digital world it is easy to crop them but it is best to compose them in the view finder which will preserve the detail or pixels for the enlargement.

Before

Your second pic works well with the contrast of the rugged rocks of the forground and the clean lines of the GT but the support structure is a little confusing. It detracts the viewer away from the car as you try to figure out what it is.

After, remember detail is lost through cropping and editing. If would could of attemted something like this from the beginning then it would of improved. Again I would of left more senery in front of if I had taken the photograph. Unfortunately the tree details got lost in the brightening.

[This message has been edited by skitime (edited 12-25-2002).]

skitime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2002 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post

skitime

5765 posts
Member since Aug 2000
Your last pic has an excellent feature in it. The fence pulls your attention to the subject. Again this is something to look for to help the composition of the photo.

Before

After

What I really liked with all the pics is how perfect the car color worked with the foilage of the trees with the sun on them. You should definitely attempt to do them again next fall and nail them.

skitime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2002 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post

skitime

5765 posts
Member since Aug 2000
Morninglight - Grade A+ I really like this shot. I could easily see it in a brochure. You know with the caption "Its the perfect car to go out on the town in" The lighting is great except the area above the front tire. I love the drive texture and great lighting on the background. Good Job!
Ronnie

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2002 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RonnieSend a Private Message to RonnieDirect Link to This Post
This is my 88GT before I put the stripes,wing, gold wheels and windows scoops on. Bone stock, wing/delete, with beechwood interior.
PFF
System Bot
Ronnie

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2002 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RonnieSend a Private Message to RonnieDirect Link to This Post

Ronnie

2353 posts
Member since Oct 2000
This is my Formula T-Top taken in the North Georgia mountains.
Songman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2002 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
I don't know anything about 'best', but here's my stock entries...

I guess the 85 is not totally stock since it has been painted all white, but still close enough.

------------------

billfredmike24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2002 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for billfredmike24Click Here to visit billfredmike24's HomePageSend a Private Message to billfredmike24Direct Link to This Post
Sailordude, i also think your car looks the best, except for all those oil spots all around it , or water drips from the car being washed.
skitime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2002 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post
Ronnie Grade=C Pic1 Sweet car. That is a great angle to show off the GT. As far as the photo goes it is not in sharp focus and the road got washed out by the brightness.

Pic2 Grade=C Again sweet car. As far as the photo the car gets lost in the shade to the point you can not tell where car detail ends and the trees begin. It is a good clean setting just too bad the lighting did not cover the whole car.

Songman Pic1 Grade=C You are also playing on my preferance of the 88 GT. Black cars are one of the hardest to take a good picture of. I have often tried to take pics of black bears with the same result. Details get lost in the black and the shadows. This pic has the feel of a snapshot in the driveway.
Pic2 Grade=A Very well done. Here you have successfully brought out the lines of the Fiero on the black car. The contrast of the sleek Fiero lines against the texture of the grass and the old building on the background is great. The off angle of the building does create a feeling that picture is crooked and would of required moving the car parallel to the building to prevent it. Still it is a great shot.
Pic3 non-stock Nice car but just a common driveway shot.

Again I fear offending folks by evaluating their pics. I am only offering my opinion of the photo as a photographer. Others may disagree with my opinion and that is fine and you are welcome to evaluate the photography too if you like.

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2002 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skitime:

Again I fear offending folks by evaluating their pics. I am only offering my opinion of the photo as a photographer. Others may disagree with my opinion and that is fine and you are welcome to evaluate the photography too if you like.

I consider myself to be an "amateur" photographer (having done a few weddings and similiar events- as well as being the school district photographer while a Sr. in HS).

That being said, I agree with pretty much everything you've stated about the pics (although I did miss the non-stock seats in C&E's formula I posted ). I don't think anyone has taken offense at any of your commentary simply because if explained correctly (as opposed to just calling a pic "bad") it makes sense and they can use that info to take a better pic next time!

I dug through at least 100-200 photos on my hard drive... sadly their either not so good pics- or pics of modified cars (time for me to start digging through older rolls of 35mm... I know I have some good stock cars in there!).

[This message has been edited by MinnGreenGT (edited 12-26-2002).]

Songman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2002 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
Ahhhh... now I get it! I guess I should have read the instructions! I wasn't thinking about the 'photograph'. I was just posting pictures of stock cars..
fiero_sc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2002 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero_scSend a Private Message to fiero_scDirect Link to This Post
I know the picture quality is not that great
but it's stock.

wkayl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2002 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wkaylSend a Private Message to wkaylDirect Link to This Post
skitime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2002 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post
Wkayl Grade=A- I have seen this pic in your signature I believe and really like it. It is a great angle to photograph the GT. The lines of the car are so cool from above. I actually remember a photo like that in one of my Fiero brochures. As far as this photo as a brochure photo I would have to say the bra would have to be removed and try to find a clean unmarked surface without the line. Good job.

[This message has been edited by skitime (edited 12-26-2002).]

California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2002 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post
Big thumbs up to you 'Stockers'!!! I enjoyed looking through this string, very nice to see the preservation you have exhibited here.

Tom

------------------

Click to Listen!

PFF
System Bot
Standard

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2002 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StandardClick Here to visit Standard's HomePageSend a Private Message to StandardDirect Link to This Post
Not stock, but I was wondering what you thought of this pic, Skitime

------------------

1988 Quad 4 Coupe 5 speed click for more pics
1986 GT 5 speed
AOL: LastMinuteBastrd AIM: SavedbyJebus

RWF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2002 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWFSend a Private Message to RWFDirect Link to This Post
Her e's a stock 85 GT.......
skitime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2002 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post
Hey cool Standard you hit the big 50 on the rating. Well not stock but OK. It is a good shot with the multicolor foilage really helping the photo. everything is in sharp focus. It is a good shot showing the profile of the car. I think to improve the shot, I would of tried to take it from a slightly higher angle but still it is very good. You avoided centering the car as far as top to bottom which helps too. Grade=A
skitime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2002 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post

skitime

5765 posts
Member since Aug 2000
RFW Grade=A+ That is a great shot. Many things help it. The bare trees help bring out the cars details. The curve in the road pulls you right into the Fiero. The photo makes you want to jump right into the Fiero and try a few more turns. Also the shrubs in the lower corner help frame the Fiero. The photo is in very pretty good focus with slight blurring in the distant so a little camera shake. A tripod might of helped. Good job!

Vonnie (Vonnie's car is in my initial post) and I were talking this evening and thought wouldn't it be great to find the best 12 stock Fiero shots and make a calender with them. Just a thought.

formula2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2002 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for formula2Send a Private Message to formula2Direct Link to This Post

MY first post with a scanner.Hope it is OK.......

OOOPPPPPSSS I have to learn more......

[This message has been edited by formula2 (edited 12-26-2002).]

skitime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2002 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post
formula2 You need to change you name to Black88GT. Your angles for these pics are good but you need to take that beauty out somewhere that will really set it off. Be real careful not to loose the detail in shadows with the car being black. (Look at Songmans pics above) Black cars are real hard to retain all the detail. For example you lost the detail of the nose opening on the first pic. When I got to the second pic I am questioning this being a stock Fiero. Silver wheels were not used on an 88. Again be careful not to loose detail like in the rear quarter/rear bumper.
formula2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2002 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for formula2Send a Private Message to formula2Direct Link to This Post
mine is a 86 without the original paint....Anything else is stock , the radio , sub , etc...
Thanks for the info, I will do better next time .(in a few months, of course)
skitime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2002 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post
Ah ha so I was right about not being stock. lol Well it does look great.

Formula2 Pic3 Grade=C+ So is this the 86 again befor paint or does the black just not show up. It is nice to have an interior shot. Your photo might of been better if you could of moved the car to get better lighting into the footwell area. This would of been a good time to use a flash to fill in the dark area. Since it is an complete interior shot I would of tried to back up and get the floor as well. Ususally you would also turn the steering wheel to the straight ahead position. Otherwise it give the feeling of being out of balance.

CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2002 01:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 12-27-2002).]

Wipe0ut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2002 03:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Wipe0utClick Here to visit Wipe0ut's HomePageSend a Private Message to Wipe0utDirect Link to This Post

How's that? (I know my steering wheel is weird.. )

------------------

[This message has been edited by Wipe0ut (edited 12-27-2002).]

PFF
System Bot
skitime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2002 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post
WipeOut - Grade=C Interiors are a tough thing to photography. In your pic you were too close and the main lighting being the flash left hard shadows over the center vent areas. These shot are going to be tough to compete with the Pontiac photographers who have the advantage of being able to photograph a car with the roof or rear glass removed. Lighting is critical to do a good job and I would suggest either two light sources or be outside in a bright overcast day. The overcast will allow soft diffused light without shadows. There is a none stock shifter boot in the pic as well as faded trunk release and rear defroster switch. There also is some curling at the bottom of the radio surround and of course the mentioned steering wheel. I believe the interior might be one of the toughest subjects to photograph well on the Fiero since we have to work with such a small interior. No chance of getting in the back seat for a better angle. Wide angle lenses will help but most cameras today that consumers buy only have a wide angle lens. Another way to approach the interior is to attempt to emphasize only a portion of the interior such as the gages or the Fiero emblem.

[This message has been edited by skitime (edited 12-27-2002).]

blackie2m6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2002 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackie2m6Click Here to visit blackie2m6's HomePageSend a Private Message to blackie2m6Direct Link to This Post
Here is a pic of our new to us 88 stock Fiero.

------------------

Best of class-HMN- Carlisle 2002

skitime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2002 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post
Wow, I did not know you and Jelly2M8 got another Fiero. You keeping any other secrets. Well I have discussed trying it improve pics of the black Fieros before. Nice car. Now take that GT out to all those gorgeous, scenic locations in your area and get some nice photos.

[This message has been edited by skitime (edited 12-27-2002).]

GTFiero1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2002 02:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post
I think i failed the Exam this is the best shot i could get that doesnt show any damage to the tail lights or exhaust tips

Although if i was tryin to sell a Fiero, an oldsmobile and a house, this would be the best pic yet

hmm... i think i despecled the photo too much...

------------------

--Adam--
1987 Blue GT 5-speed
IM AOL: GTFiero
Remember, always brush your milk, drink your teeth, dont do sleep and get eight hours of drugs

Drive it like you stole it...nice and slow so you dont get your @$$ caught by the cops

[This message has been edited by GTFiero1 (edited 12-28-2002).]

summerjim

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2002 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for summerjimClick Here to visit summerjim's HomePageSend a Private Message to summerjimDirect Link to This Post

Looks like a Mass. plate on it!

skitime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2002 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post
GTFiero1 - Well yes, you failed. lol The great thing about photography is you can make great photo without a perfect car. If your damage is in the rear then be sure to take you shots from the front. Also there are a lot of cool shots that can be done of any parts of the car. Much like your front fender shot in you signature. Even the damage mentioned would not show up in a rear scenic shot from a distance. So get out there and try again.

[This message has been edited by skitime (edited 12-28-2002).]

Gold-86SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2002 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gold-86SESend a Private Message to Gold-86SEDirect Link to This Post

Skitime, I'm curious to know what you think of these two photos.

------------------

Beautiful, Dinged, Darnered, or Bruised every Fiero turns my head.

Drivers
84 SE 4.10 4-Speed
86 SE V6 4-Speed

Parts Cars
84 SE Automatic
87 SC 4-cyl 5-Speed

Restoration Project
85 GT Automatic

skitime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2002 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post
Gold-86SE Grade=A I really like the idea. The first one I feel is the better one. It has the contrast of the foilage with the glass that captured the reflection. Reflection photography can be tricky for a photographer. Trying to decide where to focus is the big problem with a good camera. The other suggestion I would have with this shot is get down lower to take the shot so that you are on the level with the middle of the glass. You appear to have been standing and looking down at the glass so it is wider at the top and narrower at the bottom. You could really expand on this idea and come up with a lot of neat stuff.
Gold-86SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2002 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gold-86SESend a Private Message to Gold-86SEDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skitime:
Gold-86SE Grade=A I really like the idea. The first one I feel is the better one. It has the contrast of the foilage with the glass that captured the reflection. Reflection photography can be tricky for a photographer. Trying to decide where to focus is the big problem with a good camera. The other suggestion I would have with this shot is get down lower to take the shot so that you are on the level with the middle of the glass. You appear to have been standing and looking down at the glass so it is wider at the top and narrower at the bottom. You could really expand on this idea and come up with a lot of neat stuff.

Cool Beans! I GOT AN A!!! And I not even in class.

To your constructive critique, I was standing when I took the photo, and had not realized the impact to the image, but I will definately keep my height in mind the next time I take a photo.

Thanks for the feedback.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock