Started on: 09-23-2010 10:57 PM
Replies: 195
Last post by: Stubby79 on 01-12-2012 02:02 PM
Chris Hodson

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2011 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/084112.html

There is a pic in here yocan look at.

Basically i took it apart, put a blue LED in the clear plastic part and printed my own design on multiple clear sheets. I used a regular ink jet but I think a laser printer would work better. The trick is to only let the light come out where you want it to. I know at least for screen printing, when using the photoemulsion teq laser printers work best because they block the most light. You might onl yhave to use two sheets compared to 4. Lineing them up is tricky. Ive not played with the idea much, if one could print very dark blacks and transparent colors they would be in biz.
IP: Logged
BradWirdo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2011 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BradWirdoSend a Private Message to BradWirdoDirect Link to This Post
Is this thing still for sale, it would take me 6 hrs to get there from michigan, you think it would survive a 6hr trip back? This may be the most amazing Fiero Ive ever seen.
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2011 03:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
Of course! I drive it every day to work. The 350 seems so simple to keep running. I bet its pretty much bullet proof if you keep oil in it! If you are seriously interested I will send you in detail everything I think needs work. Ill grab my girlfriends pentax this weekend and post a **** ton of pictures of EVERYTHING.
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2011 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
Anyone know if a 3800 would bolt up to that tranny? Or any other motors that would?
engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2011 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
If you have a Turbo 325 or 425 they have the old Buick Pontiac Olds & Cadilac pattern so a new 3800 will not bolt up but a old 3.8 RWD will there is a adaptor on it to bolt the Chevy up to it now right
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2011 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Chris Hodson:

Anyone know if a 3800 would bolt up to that tranny? Or any other motors that would?

The transmission has the BOP (Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac - Cadillac used it as well) pattern and your current adapter plate is good for the SBC/BBC family. So most V8 engine GM has built from the mid 60''s to present day "should" bolt up to either the transmission directly or to your adapter plate... clearing the axle through the oil pan may take some additional work depending on which engine you use. Then there is always the turbo GN 3.8L and its siblings.
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2011 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
a northstar would be neat. I guess i could use the pattern with the adapter or with the tranny so that would open up options. New mounts can be made easily, oil pan may be an issue but it can be worked aroun. The pan on it right now had been cut and re-welded for that axle.
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2011 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post

Chris Hodson

3066 posts
Member since Aug 2006
I wonder if one of those newer vortec motors would work. Like out of an avalanch.
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2011 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post

Chris Hodson

3066 posts
Member since Aug 2006
So I modified a stock quadrajet to work, and holy crap does it work. Acceleration is 10x better. Im sure its better on gas now - no backfiring while deceleration from higher speeds. It seems to run extremely well. I can feel it in the seat - There is more low end power. BUT its taller than the holly double pumper so ive got to figure out something new for the air filter. So the smaller carb was the hesitation issue. NO hesitation now The way I rigged up the throttle, makes it open very quick. It takes a little getting use to but its fun.
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by Chris Hodson (edited 04-14-2011).]

Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post

Chris Hodson

3066 posts
Member since Aug 2006

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
PFF
System Bot
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 02:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
why dont you just put FI on that engine you should be able to pick it all up at a junk yard
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 03:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
What are some of the benefits?

I just grabbed this info from some ask.com thing.

Pros:
Carbs are much easier to adjust, and especially to get more power out of. Cheap to fix, rebuild and easy to trouble shoot.

Fuel Inj. is more precise, less pollution as the computer is constantly changing air fuel ratio to optimum. More fuel efficient as well.

Cons:
Carbs aren't very efficient, they can't make changes on the fly like fuel inj. can.

Fuel Inj. needs a much higher fuel pressure, which makes line routing and integrity very important. The injectors themselves have small orifices, which can be easily clogged by crud passing filter or scale build up. Fuel injection is expensive, and so is testing or replacing components.

Here is a good read.

http://www.carcraft.com/tec...injection/index.html

As far as this goes, I really do not want to see a perfectly decent thread go to the trash can over an endless carb vs efi battle. Sooo lets leave it at that and maybe talk about motor options?
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Chris Hodson:

What are some of the benefits?

I just grabbed this info from some ask.com thing.

Pros:
Carbs are much easier to adjust, and especially to get more power out of. Cheap to fix, rebuild and easy to trouble shoot.

If the engine is working fine then I definitely agree to leave it as is. That setup is a great eye catcher at any cruise night. But I think that "pro" from Ask.com is so obsolete these days. I would say with at least 47yrs old like myself and younger who have never dealt with a carb.
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
Its the first carbed vehile ive owned and im starting to like it. Less to go wrong and easy to fix. As far as tuning on the fly, well theres nothing hard about popping the deck lid and turning a screw with a straight.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
I just thought you where looking to do FI since you started to talk about more modern engines there is nothing wrong with a good old carb I even like the old mechanical FI talk about easy to tune pop open your Piil holder put in a different one and done take longer to open the hood than change the pill

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 04-14-2011).]

Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2011 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post

The quadrajet setup

Anyone know of a way to have a remote air filter on this? Ive seen something like a cap that screws on with a couple hoses you can route to wherever you like for the air filter. Maybe something from a marine application. Im not having luck finding anything.

Also im looking for headers that would go straight back so i could mate it to my existing muffler.

i wanted to use my glow gages so i decided i would swap a few things around in my cluster. I had a spare from my 86 se that had the correct style face.

basically I swapped in everything but the odometer, I hooked the original odometer up to the new speedo. Thinking back im wondering why i did that when I could of just put the odometer into the spare cluster.... lol. WELL nothing works now aside from the lights. All my fuses are good. Are all the cluster houseings designed year and option specific? So if i were to take a tach with an oil pressure gage out and put in a tach that dose not have the oil pressure gage; would the tach still work ok? Hopefully someone is understanding me.

I was also wondering if its more common for the gas gage in the cluster to fail over a sending unit? Before I mesed with things my fuel gage would only work after 1/4 of a tank, anywhere below that it would freak out.

Thanks guys.
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2011 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
The timing is a bit off but I wanted to try my new camera

Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2011 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
I probably do not have the time to be doing something like this but Ive always wanted to. I think the notchy could look better and i do not care for the fast back because it looks like everything else. So I am trying to find a happy medium for myself. Im using the 3800 swap as my test subject.

Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2011 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
Im installing a Rebuilt 350 this week. The motor has 5k on it I'm getting all the accessories with the motor including a new a/c compressor so im thinking about hooking up the A/c. My car has the guts for it already, I just need to figure out what couple of wires need to go where and make some hoses. It seems like a LOT of swaps do not go the extra mile to make the a/c work sooo im going to do it. Engine bay will be cleaned up and painted sunset orange metallic. All the wires will be cleaned, repaired & re loomed. The transmission will be painted "something" and i haven't decided on the motor color but leaning towards black with a texture on the valve covers. Ive got an extra set of ground effects ill put under my rockers and build in exhaust cutouts so the exhaust comes out in front of the back tires.

Pictures to come this week
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2011 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post

Chris Hodson

3066 posts
Member since Aug 2006
Also getting rid of that hood if anyone wants to shoot me an offer. I think it will look better stock with some cut outs.
PFF
System Bot
ghost187x

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2011 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ghost187xSend a Private Message to ghost187xDirect Link to This Post
if you have the funds, you should try reverse rotation using this http://streetdreamsbyross.m...tudinal-engine-mount and the differential flipper the site has. it works for your transmission. did you ever get the overdrive to work?
oh, fiero warehouse sells something like this. extended trunk.

[This message has been edited by ghost187x (edited 06-20-2011).]

Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2011 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
I like how the motor sits in there just fine. Im not trying to build a super car, just something fun to drive If I could see myself keeping it longer I may consider it along with MPFI in the far far future but my better half would love a ring and kill me if i throw anymore cash into this car lol! She calls it her rolling wedding ring.... I left my fast back idea sit to long and the humidity destroyed it. Not a big deal, the money needs to go elsewhere. As far as the trunk goes, I think for now ill sand blast what rust is there and do some body work to smooth things out. Ive got a sweet sunset orange metallic left over from painting my old bike.

I just gave myself an idea, im going to get the air brush out and go to town on the engine bay. You guys will just have to wait and see
Maybe i can find a few ammo cans and put them on opposite sides of the tranny where the trunk use to be for storage.
We shall see

Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2011 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post

Chris Hodson

3066 posts
Member since Aug 2006
Forgot to mention I tinted my tail lights the other day. I like it. Im getting to the side markers.

bjc 350

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2011 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Direct Link to This Post
Try looking at the Spectre line of cold air intakes. I put one on my V8 Fiero, and it has a hat that sits on the carb, then a flexible 4 inch line that runs to a cone filter , then goes to my drivers side Aus style scoop . Spectre has a good web site, just look at their catalog and you will find something to fit.
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2011 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SPE-9849/

I would love to find something like this.
jaymelk2

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2011 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaymelk2Send a Private Message to jaymelk2Direct Link to This Post
Chris, Where are the seats in your car from? I have those same seats in mine and would love to get leather covers but don't know where they came from...Thanks

------------------
87 GT...SBC...Fast as hell

Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2011 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
You can find them in most newer cavaliers and sunfires. They cut your head room down a couple inches but lean them back a bit and you do not notice. They are super comfy and hold your back into the seat. ALSO they bolt right up. Take your fiero rails and bolt them to the cavy seats - Done.
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2011 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
If you find decent leather covers let me know. I kind of like the 90's corvette leather seats but they are out of my price range and most compatible seats I find in the junk yard are torn or worn.
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2011 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
Got the new motor today. I have my engine ready to come out tomorrow morning. The only thing holding it in would be the tranny and motor mount bolts. Its easy enough - its just going to come out the top.
How heavy is this car without the motor and trans? Around 2700 or so right? The motor may be ~ 530 and add another 300 for the tranny and fluids. If anyone has more exact numbers for my transmission and v8 with minor accessories let me know because I'm wondering if my cherry picker will lift the rear of the car safely. I think It would make getting the fuel tank out easier to fix my sender - since my frame machine is backed up. I will also sand blast what little rust there is and coat the bottom of the car with a hard paint if it will work. Tomorrow will be a long day.
Niterrorz

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2011 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiterrorzSend a Private Message to NiterrorzDirect Link to This Post
with the motor and trans in the cars weigh at max 2800 pounds. i lift my 4.9 up with a 2 ton cherry picker quite a bit recently :-P and ive had no problems.
PFF
System Bot
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2011 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
With fluids or no?
Niterrorz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2011 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NiterrorzSend a Private Message to NiterrorzDirect Link to This Post
with fluids. but i have a stick shift and you have to take into account you have a small block with what im guessing to be a way heavier transmission compared to a stock th125. my 4.9 weighs 30 pounds more than the 2.8 due to it being aluminum. im guessing yours is a cast. so with fluids id put your total weight around 3100 pounds but i am guessing at that it could be higher but it sounds about right to me.
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2011 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
edit- found something interesting thanks to CrazyD

1984 Coupe/SC 2464
1984 SE 2480
1985 Coupe/SC/SE 2505
1985 GT 2572
1986 Coupe/SC 2504
1986 SE 2531
1986 GT 2696
1987 Coupe/SC 2546
1987 SE 2567
1987 GT 2708
1988 Coupe 2547
1988 GT 2735

[This message has been edited by Chris Hodson (edited 06-23-2011).]

Niterrorz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2011 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NiterrorzSend a Private Message to NiterrorzDirect Link to This Post
wow ya thats alot higher
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
There is a lot of clean up to do.

I had to take a ton of parts off the new motor and swap some from the other. I haven't swapped oil pans yet. Now i need to power wash everything.

The transmission will be the silver color.

Another engine bay shot.

Im pretty confident Ive found the rattle....

Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelDirect Link to This Post
WOWWW nice work she's going to be lookin really sharp !!!!

------------------

My build Thread
http://www.tylerstoy.com

Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2011 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
power washed motor and engine bay.

Ive still got to transfer parts and install new gaskets so the block was prepped and painted.

Decided on a speckle texture paint. Not sure why, Hope it looks ok with motor sitting in there.

I used a rubber coating on the firewall in hopes of eliminating just a bit of noise.

Cleaned up the tranny.

Wires are pretty much wrapped and repaired. I need to loom a bit more before its finished.

Hope to have it running next week. Found a friend who mandrel bends pipe for a living We shall see what the exhaust turns into.
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2011 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post

Chris Hodson

3066 posts
Member since Aug 2006
Greg, sorry for the crappy redering but this is what i was trying to tell you about.

I
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2011 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post

Chris Hodson

3066 posts
Member since Aug 2006
or

But with the exhaust coming out the middle.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock