Started on: 09-23-2010 10:57 PM
Replies: 195
Last post by: Stubby79 on 01-12-2012 02:02 PM
Chris Hodson

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2010 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
Is anyone still following this thread?

I made a junkyard run with only my sawsall and scored some sweet tips off a brand spankin new Pontiac hit in the front.

I saw this and I couldn't resist. It was filled with tires

Sooo I really cant make fun of the welds on this car anymore. I dont have anything to weld stainless and i thought of it after I started welding on it. It will work but its not pretty. The flex pieces are stainless, I had to lay a hot bead on the steel and melt into the stainless. The cast aluminum tips are connected to steel already so thank goodness.

Im just trying to get everything to fit and be able to be taken out in one unit. I think ive pretty much got it now. Im going to go weld a bit more on it this morning.

The black turned out pretty nice.

IP: Logged
PhilipFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2010 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilipFieroSend a Private Message to PhilipFieroDirect Link to This Post
The exhaust manifolds look like the have terrible flow.
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2010 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
Flow = To move or run smoothly with unbroken continuity, as in the manner characteristic of a fluid.

Unless on the inside of the large "dump tubes" there is an elaborate bundle of snakes. There is not, so yea I can see it not being the most efficient thing ever created BUT I don't have to worry about it being to restrictive

The car has more than enough horsepower so i don't mind it not flowing great at this point.

PhilipFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2010 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilipFieroSend a Private Message to PhilipFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Chris Hodson:

Flow = To move or run smoothly with unbroken continuity, as in the manner characteristic of a fluid.

Unless on the inside of the large "dump tubes" there is an elaborate bundle of snakes. There is not, so yea I can see it not being the most efficient thing ever created BUT I don't have to worry about it being to restrictive

The car has more than enough horsepower so i don't mind it not flowing great at this point.

Alright cool

I wasn't trying to bash it though, I think you're doing a sweet job on it. That's why I mentioned it, it would irritate me when working on it the right way as you are doing.
Got a movie of it running? would love to see and hear it!

[This message has been edited by PhilipFiero (edited 10-06-2010).]

Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2010 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
If I can manage to get it welded up tonight i just happen to have my hd movie camera here this weekend so yea id love to take a movie of it running. Ive yet to rebuild the carb. For me its not how many days i have to work on something... its how many hours in a day do i have to work on something! There never seems to be enough. I get up around 6:30 and work till 11. I still cant seem to get enough done!

Im in the market for a cavi digital cluster btw. Id be willing to trade some notchy tail lights or I have a beretta digital cluster for trade.
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2010 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post

Chris Hodson

3066 posts
Member since Aug 2006
I did not manage to make it down there tonight. My eye balls and back hurt.
ICCAMDFIERO

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2010 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ICCAMDFIEROSend a Private Message to ICCAMDFIERODirect Link to This Post
Quit being a slacker! haha jk, I orderd new sprockets and a new chain for the bike 14/45 and a RK 520 chain. Keep it up! exhaust looks sick!
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2010 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
Fine lol. Im a bit pressed for time so a picture is worth a thousand words.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Now for more body work.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post10-08-2010 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
I like the direction that you are going.

When I look at the stop light, I can't help but wonder if you can integrate reverse lights into it? I think that it fits the Fiero well. Good luck with her...

------------------

Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2010 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
Anythings possible with some spare time and a whole lot of money i dont know exactly whats going on yet but I do not have reverse lights. The lights are there and look good but whatever turns them on is not doing its job. I have a feeling there is nothing that does this job. I think I may have to wire in a switch or a gear selector switch off something else. Id like to find some sort of very bright led pod or oval led truck light, FOR THE REFLECTOR PODS. I want super bright annoying led lights for my brake lights. Im so sick of people tailgating me. If I can blind them maybe they will stay back a bit.
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2010 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
I finally got the decklid scoop in today. im trying to decide the best rout as far as attaching it goes. I got the rear bumper cover sanded down and ready for primer. I would really like the car in paint by this weekend
PFF
System Bot
Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2010 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

I finally got the decklid scoop in today. im trying to decide the best rout as far as attaching it goes. I got the rear bumper cover sanded down and ready for primer. I would really like the car in paint by this weekend

If it's fiberglass: 'Vette panel adhesive/filler. If it's not fiberglass, don't bond it on.
Be sure to grind down every surface that you bond to with a 24 grit disc.
http://gafieroclub.org/bbs/index.php?topic=469.0
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Did you hear about the flu epidemic in China? The entire 4th grade missed work!

[This message has been edited by Tha Driver (edited 10-12-2010).]

Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2010 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
24grit?!??

I decided to just glass it in beings it is fiberglass.
I cut the skin to fit, screwed the scoop in with some self tappers temporarily. 80 grit on everything to clean it up, 36 on parts the glass would touch. Its hard to get it clean under there. I used some long strand "kitty hair" on some parts and long strand matt with resin on other parts. I do not have pictures yet but the inside looks very nice. It looks "stock". NOT like someone hacked up a decklid and screwed scoop on.

Hopefully i can get it in primer tomorrow.
Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2010 04:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

24grit?!??

I decided to just glass it in beings it is fiberglass.
I cut the skin to fit, screwed the scoop in with some self tappers temporarily. 80 grit on everything to clean it up, 36 on parts the glass would touch. Its hard to get it clean under there. I used some long strand "kitty hair" on some parts and long strand matt with resin on other parts. I do not have pictures yet but the inside looks very nice. It looks "stock". NOT like someone hacked up a decklid and screwed scoop on.

Hopefully i can get it in primer tomorrow.

YES 24 grit. I've been doing this for nearly 40 years. The resin & kitty hair you used will NOT stick near as well to the SMC as the "Vette adhesive/filler. It's why it's called "Vette adhesive/filler - it's MADE for SMC. Nor is 80 grit aggressive enough to help with the adhesion.
Of course, you can always re-do it when it cracks out after you spend all that time painting & buffing it out.

[This message has been edited by Tha Driver (edited 10-13-2010).]

AL87

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2010 04:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by PhilipFiero:

The exhaust manifolds look like the have terrible flow.

Those exhaust headers look something from edlebrock, made for a Mercury Marine/Mercruiser 350 that I have

lol, idk had to say, those things are ungodly bulky looking... (nostalga hit me)

------------------
AL' Owner of:
88 Fiero I4
87 GT
86 Holley SD4
85 Fiero V6

darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2010 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tha Driver:

YES 24 grit. I've been doing this for nearly 40 years. The resin & kitty hair you used will NOT stick near as well to the SMC as the "Vette adhesive/filler. It's why it's called "Vette adhesive/filler - it's MADE for SMC. Nor is 80 grit aggressive enough to help with the adhesion.
Of course, you can always re-do it when it cracks out after you spend all that time painting & buffing it out.

x2

I have never grafted anything large onto a fiero, but I would not do anything without smc bonder.
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2010 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
Doing some research on the vett adhesive/ filler*
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2010 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post

Chris Hodson

3066 posts
Member since Aug 2006
Very bulky!

They work and that's what counts at this point
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2010 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post

Chris Hodson

3066 posts
Member since Aug 2006
Im not bonding anything to do with the scoop to #80. Ive never had to buff a single stage paint job I know what you are saying about repairing cracks - im going to do some more research on this SMC fiberglass.

[This message has been edited by Chris Hodson (edited 10-13-2010).]

Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2010 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
2 cans of gorilla glue, some house insulation

and 1/4" of bondo later...

Took interior out. Im glad to have found sound deadening pads on the firewall, that will save me some money.

Sunfire seats in..

Along with some nice carpet

The headliner is in.
Installed new pioneer speakers all around.
Still got some loose ends to tie up inside like wiring in the radio.
Ive yet to move those gauges and wire them up. Blue LED's will go into those.
Im going to replace all the interior lights with bright white LED's.
I think im going to upholster the lower sections of the doors with a leather look alike fabric.
I need to go to the junkyard to see what I can find for center consoles. I think im just going to glass one up.
I want to install a digital cavi cluster if i can ever find one. If someone has one ill trade a Beretta digi cluster for it?
Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2010 04:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

2 cans of gorilla glue, some house insulation
and 1/4" of bondo later...

You're kidding me!
Just so you know; SMC has a release agent in it so they can pop it out of the mold. That's the reason most things don't stick to it very well, unless SPECIFICALLY made for SMC.
I give up...
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Fear of heights is illogical. Fear of falling, on the other hand, is prudent & evolutionary.
PFF
System Bot
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2010 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tha Driver:

You're kidding me!
Just so you know; SMC has a release agent in it so they can pop it out of the mold. That's the reason most things don't stick to it very well, unless SPECIFICALLY made for SMC.
I give up...
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Fear of heights is illogical. Fear of falling, on the other hand, is prudent & evolutionary.

I was OK until I saw the 1/4 inch of bondo line.... sigh...
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2010 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
Itl be ok I did not use any "bondo" nor did I use gorilla glue and house insulation lol. Although house insulation works great for filling in large holes on cheap jobs....

Decklid :
Cleaned everything up with #80. Roughed areas to be bonded with #36.
Placed scoop on where I wanted it and traced around it.
Cut the skin off.
Placed scoop back in and used a couple self tapping screws to keep it in place.
Glassed in back 2 layers of long strand matt.
Took out screws.
Beveled all mating edges.
Layed a couple layers of long strand matt.
leveled the glass flush as possible.
Leveled the rest of the big stuff out with fiberglass putty.
Everything else done with a small amount of flexible glaze.
2k primer

It should hold just fine. If it cracks ill post a pic of it and let you say "I told you so."

Ill sand out whatever is left tonight and final prime it. Tomorrow EVERYTHING should be ready to wet sand.

Ive got a decent flex additive ill add to the paint for shits and giggles.
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2010 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
I like it.
Erik

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2010 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post
That scoop is backwards
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2010 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
Nobody is trying to look in it or grab it. I like how it brings the back end in, less boxy and more complete. The stock vents are by the window, the vent I put in is also by the window.

- Not having to mess around with the "hump" was a plus also. The scoop fit right on it and looks great.
-Not to many options when it comes to hiding something like this. The distributor being so far back and the intake being so darn high makes option very slim. This solves it.

[This message has been edited by Chris Hodson (edited 10-21-2010).]

grkboy707

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2010 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Direct Link to This Post

Nobody is trying to look in it or grab it. I like how it brings the back end in, less boxy and more complete. The stock vents are by the window, the vent I put in is also by the window.

- Not having to mess around with the "hump" was a plus also. The scoop fit right on it and looks great.
-Not to many options when it comes to hiding something like this. The distributor being so far back and the intake being so darn high makes option very slim. This solves it.

The scoop does look really good that way. I'm just wondering if its worth blocking off or not. I havent the slightest clue what thats going to do for the airflow.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2010 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Ive got a decent flex additive ill add to the paint for shits and giggles.

Dont. Flex is only going to slow your cure speed and dull your clear.

Flex additive was made for thin urathane bumpers and such that will give you a week or 2 extra before the clear starts to get really hard. That means you can install the bumper on the car and flex it around more, but it also means you cant wetsand it for 2 or 3x longer.

A car painted with flex additive will have the same "flexibility" as one that didnt in a few months.
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2010 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
Dark, I am not planning to clear coat and or cut and buff a single stage paint job. It will kick out just fine.

Thanks grkboy707 I'm not so sure myself. Who knows what that combined with the rocker scoops will do. I'm adding fans under the grills to help hot air flow out. I had an 84 with the grill that goes along the whole length of the window, my scoop opens up around that area so im really thinking it will work somewhat similar. If not, its not bothering me. I'm just happy I found something aesthetically pleasing to cover up everything!
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2010 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post

Chris Hodson

3066 posts
Member since Aug 2006
Just out of curiosity, anyone who paints for a living - are you NESHAP compliant yet? I wonder when everyone has to have that done by.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2010 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Dark, I am not planning to clear coat and or cut and buff a single stage paint job. It will kick out just fine.

Thanks grkboy707 I'm not so sure myself. Who knows what that combined with the rocker scoops will do. I'm adding fans under the grills to help hot air flow out. I had an 84 with the grill that goes along the whole length of the window, my scoop opens up around that area so im really thinking it will work somewhat similar. If not, its not bothering me. I'm just happy I found something aesthetically pleasing to cover up everything!

Flex was not designed to be used with single stage.
PFF
System Bot
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2010 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
Unless you have a flex designed for single stage.
ghost187x

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2010 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ghost187xSend a Private Message to ghost187xDirect Link to This Post
bump!
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2010 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
I got the shop to myself Monday. Ive got to figure out whats going on with the carb. It looks like something simple was rigged to make the throttle work and i can deal with that. BUT, whats not really working for me is whatever was done totally eliminates both accelerator pumps and a manual choke. Im looking hard for a decent carb I can swap on. Im thinking I may go to the junkyards in the morning to see if i can find anything, or at least take a look at the linkages in case I can make something work. Ive still got a holly rebuilt kit laying around if I need it.

Ive got a supercharger off a 98 low millage 3800 if someone has something worth a trade and me paying the shipping on something so heavy
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2010 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
I rebuilt the carb tonight and got the linkages to work the accelerator pump. Ill let you know how it goes after I bolt it all back up.

Found all four corner lights for $10 in good condition at the junkyard. Scored $2.25 in the center console
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2010 02:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
It ran a lot better even with just a general tune. I need to find a vac gauge to do it right. There is still a slight hesitation but I have a feeling theres to much going on up top and not enough down below - I think the carb setup is to big for the motor. Ill deal with it for now.

The new paint booth is almost complete!
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2010 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post

Cool.
BlackEmrald

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2010 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackEmraldSend a Private Message to BlackEmraldDirect Link to This Post
What year are you going to get those Grand Am rims from?

------------------
1986 SE V6 Auto. 114K miles.
1995 F-150 4.9l Straight 6, Port and polished head, oversize valves, mild cam.

Niterrorz

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2010 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NiterrorzSend a Private Message to NiterrorzDirect Link to This Post
You should drop that motor and tranny and flip it around so u get better weight distribution just order a differential rotation plate so u go forward trust me it's worth it.
Niterrorz

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2010 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NiterrorzSend a Private Message to NiterrorzDirect Link to This Post

Niterrorz

4119 posts
Member since Sep 2010
ok for some reason ipod like double posting ignore this message....

[This message has been edited by Niterrorz (edited 10-30-2010).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock