MERA owners in Michigan help! by batousai666
Started on: 06-23-2009 11:39 AM
Replies: 201
Last post by: batousai666 on 04-15-2011 02:15 PM
batousai666

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2009 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by mera7:

very nice car dan. mike here

roll call. MIKE check
and......
it is still kinda early. maybe there just runnin' late?? or waiting for a train?
traffic. thats it.
come one, come all the the last Pennock Mera thread in town..
D

and a page 4 for me...we should keep Tom's Thread alive..(i'll catch up to Mr. 10 page)..cuz the title is cool..ohhh and his car. love the paint!

[This message has been edited by batousai666 (edited 11-18-2009).]

IP: Logged
batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2009 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Direct Link to This Post
bump for the truth!
mera7

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-26-2009 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mera7Send a Private Message to mera7Direct Link to This Post
im still here lol
batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2009 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Direct Link to This Post
Hi, mike. I re-read this old thread of mine and realized that there is alot of info in this here ,so i have to keep it alive for more Mera history/information.
the pics of the grills that i posted in Toms thread came from this re-read. fresh meat to attack. got any pictures of your engine grill??
ohh... and your sticker. in this very thread, Rodney states, that there may not be stickers issued on very early Meras. HAPPY DAYS. trying to track the actual typewriter, with other stickers i have saved. would you think it was printed on a computer??
i dont cuz it was in 1987. not a lot of computers back then. anyway till the End. later
D

batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2009 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Direct Link to This Post

batousai666

4222 posts
Member since Jun 2009

Originally posted by batousai666:

is this true?? on this fourm the previous owner says that this car (mine), did NOT have the back ups. it had the org. 308 configuration. this bit of info (if correct) is the ray of light I was looking for. hope! the thing is that someone put the back ups in! does this detract from the original Mera stock set up ?? also the fact that Rodney confirms that the grey Ebay '87 Mera is # 6 made with that high vin # interests me. My vin is 1G2PF1193HP209384. the door sticker says 10/86 for fabrication date. if I beleive in continuity, my Mera should/could be # 1-5, I dunna know no moe!

lets see if this works. if so i am gonna try to orginize these comments from every one into a "quote" archive. its not me (Dan) today its one of the 6's
D
batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2009 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Direct Link to This Post

batousai666

4222 posts
Member since Jun 2009

Originally posted by mindblender:

Nelson,

The seller has posted pictures of the rear quarter panel. http://picasaweb.google.com/wheels.wheels/Mera2

Also, the seller said he was contacted by another person who apparently owned four other Meras asking similar questions and the seller said that that person was satisfied with the answers/details.

I also sent Rodney a PM and he replied back said that the VIN matched an '87 Mera, number six made.

Thanks for all of your help. Now to keep an eye on the auction

this is going to get interesting.
the VIN# for this car is 26325 this refers to the GM production #. if this high Vin is Mera #6. then i can only speculate too surreal...
makes my head spin. unless there was a pool of Fieros to choose from. but still a 1987 Fiero built in 10/86 only has a limited # of days to be converted into Mera. i am after this date. more to come
D

[This message has been edited by batousai666 (edited 11-28-2009).]

batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2009 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Direct Link to This Post

batousai666

4222 posts
Member since Jun 2009
check these numbers out. last 5 Vin#'s compared to Mera build #
26325=Mera #6
37125=Mera #24
44555=Mera #57
then ole Mike has to screw it all up.
08240=Mera #71
how can a very low Vin = very high 1987 Mera #? with only 88 made in '87.
going back in the 'chives bye
D
P.S. i PM'ed rodney to see if he would send me the last 5 vin #'s and the Mera #'s. lets hope. so far till Mike's vin we were nice and linear.

[This message has been edited by batousai666 (edited 11-28-2009).]

batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2009 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Direct Link to This Post

batousai666

4222 posts
Member since Jun 2009

Originally posted by Rodney:

It seems Corprate Concepts started putting the VIN tag on the rear deck lids starting in 88. Maybe some late 87's had them? Anyone could take them off also.

You need to take the rear cover off and look to see if the reverse lens openings have been filled in at one time. Maybe the rear clip was replaced at one time?

Anything can happen to any car once it leaves the dealers lot.

Rodney Dickman
Mera registry

see i knew this was somewhere
batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2009 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Direct Link to This Post
heres a godd'en from Rodney. should be a quote, lets see.

originally posted by Rodney,
"You have an original Mera style front bumper that has been cut into to accept the 308 front lights. Lots of 308 kit car owners have done this. The original Mera style front bumper is very different from my correct Euro design front bumper. It is hard to tell in the pictures but the center area of the bumper is half as thick as the outer edges where the light assemblies are and the grill is taller to fill that area. The aluminum grills I made were also 3 slat pieces tall where as the original Mera grills were only 2 slat pieces high. I made a wooden buck of the bumper to mimic pictures I had from 308 Ferrari books. I choose the Euro design as the USA version is much bulkier and much less attarctive. I then had a fiberglass guy make the mold and I made all the brackets and such. Was a very long and time consuming project."

i like the part of the OEM Mera 2 slat front grill, for i have the 2 slat front grill.
back at it.
D

[This message has been edited by batousai666 (edited 11-29-2009).]

mera7

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-29-2009 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mera7Send a Private Message to mera7Direct Link to This Post
dan i think your car is a mera
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2009 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post

check these numbers out. last 5 Vin#'s compared to Mera build #
26325=Mera #6
37125=Mera #24
44555=Mera #57
then ole Mike has to screw it all up.
08240=Mera #71
how can a very low Vin = very high 1987 Mera #? with only 88 made in '87.
going back in the 'chives bye
D
P.S. i PM'ed rodney to see if he would send me the last 5 vin #'s and the Mera #'s. lets hope. so far till Mike's vin we were nice and linear.

The Mera VIN's compared to the Mera serial numbers are in no special order. They are all over the place.

Rodney Dickman
Mera Registry

PFF
System Bot
batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2009 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Direct Link to This Post
Rodney, thanks for that info.
thats the end of that lead.
now to look for something else to question.

Dan
mera7

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-02-2009 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mera7Send a Private Message to mera7Direct Link to This Post
bump
batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2009 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Direct Link to This Post
MERA season #1. Ends today.
the end of the driving season for me. SNOW

i love the snow.
*BREAKS out the Jeep* yippie! time to get used to snow driving. dough-nuts, anyone??
Dan

[This message has been edited by batousai666 (edited 12-03-2009).]

mera7

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-03-2009 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mera7Send a Private Message to mera7Direct Link to This Post
my winter vehicle is a hummer h1. but i have been contemplating building a real live monster truck and driving it around since i live in a rural community with farm vehicles no one will stop me or think that much about it... lol 66" tires here we come lol
batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2009 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Direct Link to This Post
monster truck??
lets see Porsche's, Mera's, boats. now monster trucks?
whats next?? 4x4 lawn mower/snow blower/Combine/roto-tiller/hot tub/grocery getter??
such ambition you have my friend.
cannot wait to see your Mera. later
Daniel
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2009 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I built a kit myself. The kits ive also seen all used tail lights with the MERA logo molded on them so thats not a good way to tell if its one. I didnt put any back up lites on mine at all, since all European models didnt originally have them either. I did use real Ferrari front parking/ signal lites. I bought the kit at the kitcar/ Fiero show at Carlisle maybe about 10 years ago now for $2500. Mine was a good kit and most of it was mounted and driveable in a weekend. Then took my time tweaking and detailing any flaws before I painted it. I didnt like the louvered headlite covers because they just looked cheap and fake. I did away with the pop up lights and built my own flush setup resembling a Ford GT40 with aluminum, lexan and driving lights.

308 Ferrari Kit

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2009 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 308 Ferrari KitSend a Private Message to 308 Ferrari KitDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by project34:

I'm beginning to have my doubts that what you were sold was actually a Mera. Unless I've misinterpreted earlier comments about the car in this thread, it apparently has:
  • No "MERA 1" Lettering on the Circular Red Taillights

• You mentioned that the car had CARELLO on the tail lights. This is the Ferrari original equipment brand of tail lights.
    The Mera tail lights are prone to fading in the sun over the years as I understand it, so it could be such that they were replaced with the OEM Ferrari tail lights. Also, since you don't have the Ford backup light assemblies, the Carello has the white back up light built into the rear amber tail lights, the Mera's did not have the white center backup in them at all.

The MERA 1 tail lights also have an aluminum contoured rear that the original Fiero bulb sockets snap into.
    The Carello tail lights are plastic on the rear and have a rectangular metal section that snaps out with the bulb sockets and wiring on it for easy bulb replacement, but this meant that the Fiero wiring has to be modified with a connector to attach to the Carello assembly

As a side note, my kit is an American Fiberglass AF/GT. It came with tail lights that said MERA 1 on them when I purchased it new back in the day, however, I have since sold them off and bought new CARELLO tail lights for the more authentic look. One main reason was that I didnt like the large back up lights on the sides of the tag.

I hope this information gives you some more clues to the history of your nice looking ride.

Just as in detective work, any and all clues help solve the case, however just because those tail lights arent original, doesn't mean the car isn't original, just slightly modified.

It seems that in the ability to identify a real Mera, it is a challenge as the original owners took a lot of liberties and changed or modified at will to customize their car. That just makes it a bit more difficult to tell the difference, but I'm sure you will find the answer.

[This message has been edited by 308 Ferrari Kit (edited 12-06-2009).]

batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2009 05:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Direct Link to This Post
    hey all. thanks for the insight. and comments.
    been busy this weekend. looking for more "clues"
    off to work. will post more this afternoon.
    later
    daniel

batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2010 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Direct Link to This Post
    TEST!
    mera7

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-04-2010 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mera7Send a Private Message to mera7Direct Link to This Post
    i have 11 complete sets of new old stock mera taillight lenses ambers and reds. they are in protective custody lol.
    roll call....im still here dan.
    yes monster trucks is also on my resume. we build custom specialty autos for the extremely wealthy. we have built 3 pro monster trucks in the past now im building my own. i have about $200,000.00 of my own money in it so far but i still need corporate sponsors for the remaining 50,000.00 wanna help? lol anyhow talk to you later. mike in oklahoma
    PFF
    System Bot
    batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2010 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Direct Link to This Post
    from a fellow PFF'er. thanks again 85SEnochie!

or

and/or maybe?

batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2010 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Direct Link to This Post

one of these shall be the future.
    first the name.
    more to come.
    Dan

[This message has been edited by batousai666 (edited 02-05-2010).]

batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2010 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Direct Link to This Post
    now we got a name.

i gotta learn about how to..... Avatars now.
    seein how i cant change my Pennock's username.
    shucks howdy!
    Dan
    batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2010 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Direct Link to This Post

batousai666

4222 posts
    Member since Jun 2009

[This message has been edited by batousai666 (edited 02-14-2010).]

batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2010 08:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Direct Link to This Post
    blammo!

Originally posted by Mera-NSX:

That auction has been running on ebay for a few months, that seller has alot of rare/interesting car related materials such as that one. I have a few originals of that color brochure which were given to me when I purchased my 88 Bracey Mera. But I don't believe there are actually any Mera emblems viewable on the car shown in the pictures of that brochure. Also, interesting to note that the Mera pictured in the brochure has the real Carello Ferrari tail lights (as my 87 Mera does), and not the ford backup lights more commonly associated with the Mera. That brochure can also be seen by going to fiero.net, clicking on "showroom", then go to "mera sales brochure". Rodney's Mera article as well as another 2 page black & white sales ad are also viewable there as well. Of the Meras I own, none of them came with any original Mera emblems. I'd imagine that most all of the original Mera owners got rid of them to re-badge with Ferr. emblems, not really thinking much about the history or rarity of the Mera down the line.

batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2010 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Direct Link to This Post
    THE SUN!!!!

[This message has been edited by batousai666 (edited 03-07-2010).]

batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2010 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Direct Link to This Post
    MERA X season 2 starts now!

lets keep it on the Road and between the lines. Enjoy the NEW driving season. i am!
    later
    Daniel

[This message has been edited by batousai666 (edited 04-15-2010).]

3084me

Feedback score: (5)
    Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2010 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3084meSend a Private Message to 3084meDirect Link to This Post
    hey,

Just to bump you to the top... What size tires are you running on your car? I just finished my SBC / Getrag and I'm knocking out the custom interior now. It's been 1.5 years since I've had mine on the road. I'm gettin' hyper to take it for a spin.

This is mine: (Non Mera)

http://www.customcarblogs.c...in.php?g2_itemId=321

[This message has been edited by 3084me (edited 04-15-2010).]

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
    Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
    Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2010 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
    I am running 225 x 60 x 15 rear and 205 x 60 x 15 front tries on a F308 rebody (86 SE frame). My Meras have 265 x 50 x 15 tires all the way around (well one has 295 x 50 x 15 on the rear but that is overkill and will eventually be changed..

Nelson

Originally posted by 3084me:

hey,

Just to bump you to the top... What size tires are you running on your car? I just finished my SBC / Getrag and I'm knocking out the custom interior now. It's been 1.5 years since I've had mine on the road. I'm gettin' hyper to take it for a spin.

This is mine: (Non Mera)

http://www.customcarblogs.c...in.php?g2_itemId=321

3084me

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2010 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3084meSend a Private Message to 3084meDirect Link to This Post
    Thanks hnthomps,

The reason I was asking was that I've seen the larger tire used on many of the Mera's. Currently I have 225/50/15's in the front and 235/50's (old size getting hard to find now) on the rear.

What size rim does your car use in the rear? (on the Mera with the 265's) I have 7's all around. I'm kind of "old school" and I'm doing a lot of mods to my car. (Real hood vent and headlight vents, working on a real glass GTB style side glass with the small louver found on the real GTB's etc), so I don't mind the 15" rims. I think they add to the car and I like the way mine look.

[This message has been edited by 3084me (edited 04-16-2010).]

PFF
    System Bot
    batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2010 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Direct Link to This Post
    hey guys. Morning.
    sorry about the lateness. i have been out of town for the weekend (Baltimore) since thursday anyway. just got home.
    still out of it...

in answer to your ?? Mera X has> Front:-P225/50R15 Futura GLS supersport
    > Rear:-P245/50R16 (96s) Radial SR

now i do not know what these #'s mean (yet), i am just getting into the mechanicals of working on cars as we speak. i am learning.
    i do (now) know that the R is for rim size .

3084me- its funny i was just looking at your car last week sometime. now you are asking me questions
    small world.....

any more questions feel free....i post all the time.

gotta wake up.....can one get Jetlag in a car??
    later
    Dan
    olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 206
    Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2010 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadDirect Link to This Post
    Hi Dan,

A note about tire sizes -

Example

P 225 X 60 R 16

P = Passenger
    225 = width of the tire cross section
    60 = aspect ratio of tire - the sidewall height is 60% of the section width
    R = radial construction
    16 = rim diameter

I hope this helps.

Joe
    hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2010 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
    I have the factory optional rims (Chromadoras) on two 1988 Meras and aftermarket wheels on the 87 Mera. Same size tires on all vehicles but I will have to check rim width on the 87.

Nelson

Originally posted by 3084me:

Thanks hnthomps,

The reason I was asking was that I've seen the larger tire used on many of the Mera's. Currently I have 225/50/15's in the front and 235/50's (old size getting hard to find now) on the rear.

What size rim does your car use in the rear? (on the Mera with the 265's) I have 7's all around. I'm kind of "old school" and I'm doing a lot of mods to my car. (Real hood vent and headlight vents, working on a real glass GTB style side glass with the small louver found on the real GTB's etc), so I don't mind the 15" rims. I think they add to the car and I like the way mine look.

hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2010 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post

hnthomps

5730 posts
    Member since Jul 2003
    Mera stock/factory tires were 265 x 50 x 15 in rear and 245 x 50 x 15 in front.

Nelson
    batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2010 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Hi Dan,

A note about tire sizes -

Example

P 225 X 60 R 16

P = Passenger
    225 = width of the tire cross section
    60 = aspect ratio of tire - the sidewall height is 60% of the section width
    R = radial construction
    16 = rim diameter

I hope this helps.

Joe

thanks for the info. Joe
    D
    batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2010 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Direct Link to This Post

batousai666

4222 posts
    Member since Jun 2009

Originally posted by hnthomps:

Mera stock/factory tires were 265 x 50 x 15 in rear and 245 x 50 x 15 in front.

Nelson

are the measurement incriments in Millimeters??
    seems the OEM Mera tires are fatter then mine now!
    i will have to fix this.

still thinking about getting the Lace style Fiero rims in gold. they will get the Fatties.
    if and when i go back to work i was thinking about getting 3 sets of Laceies -Gold, Black and Red.
    for change of style and mood.
    Dan

[This message has been edited by batousai666 (edited 04-21-2010).]

hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2010 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
    I happen to have a spare set of white lace rims from an 88 Mera that belonged to Bob Bracy's wife.

Nelson

are the measurement incriments in Millimeters??
    seems the OEM Mera tires are fatter then mine now!
    i will have to fix this.

still thinking about getting the Lace style Fiero rims in gold. they will get the Fatties.
    if and when i go back to work i was thinking about getting 3 sets of Laceies -Gold, Black and Red.
    for change of style and mood.
    Dan

batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2010 07:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by hnthomps:

I happen to have a spare set of white lace rims from an 88 Mera that belonged to Bob Bracy's wife.

Nelson

you know, its funny. the guy i bought Mera X from has Bob's Black 88 Mera with a NorthStar eng. in it.
    small world. and a Red Mera with a 3800 SC. lucky dog.
    Dan

[This message has been edited by batousai666 (edited 04-22-2010).]

batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2011 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Direct Link to This Post
    bump to print!!

it is time to cull the info i got here and from the "Paradise" thread for a comprehensive look at "What really a Mera is"
    someone has to do it
    the first page (of four) took 20 sheets, one side printing. i will use the backs for notes pertaining to said page.

time for a VALUEPAK of highlight markers.
    thanks to everyone who has posted stuff in here, if you are lucky it may show up in print in a book or website for the Mera.

Daniel-
    Mera X

*EDIT*
    awww man i ran out of paper.....almost got it. should have gone back to back
    55 out of 65 pages printed so far. wait till i try the Paradise thread and its 64 pages to date

[This message has been edited by batousai666 (edited 01-28-2011).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
    PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
    Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock