sbc screamer budget build by prostreet505
Started on: 11-20-2007 12:12 AM
Replies: 310
Last post by: InTheLead on 11-05-2009 03:38 PM
Kyle1016

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2008 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Kyle1016Send a Private Message to Kyle1016Direct Link to This Post
ohhh i can see my baby in the back thank god the snows melted.
IP: Logged
dozol

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2008 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolDirect Link to This Post
Hey Kyle

You might need to start a build thread soon.

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2008 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dozol:

Here is a video we recorded with Craig. The background noise toward the end is me ( lol )

Sounds like you're wimpering. The car sounds great though.

linuxpowered88

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2008 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for linuxpowered88Send a Private Message to linuxpowered88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by prostreet505:

Before people start asking what is on the outside of the windshield on the hood. I figured I better let you know that it is my new heat extractor hood. Here are several pics:

Nice Hood I always liked the IROC-Z
prostreet505

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2008 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

The car sounds great though.

Thanks alot. Right now I am running 2 1/4 pipes into 2 Raptor 2 1/4 mufflers. The engine seems to pull really well through the rpm band.

Originally posted by linuxpowered88:

Nice Hood I always liked the IROC-Z

Thanks,I like the IROC-Z also, Thats why I had to have this hood. SLOWNSTEADY did the fabrication of the hood. I just went to Iowa and picked it up. I did have to cut it up to get it to fit into our 06 Malibu, but I have since then repaired the damage that I had to do to get it home. I still have some touch-ups to do to make it perfect.

Craig

prostreet505

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2008 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Direct Link to This Post

prostreet505

426 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by Kyle1016:

ohhh i can see my baby in the back thank god the snows melted.

Yes, thats your baby in the back awaiting its new 3800sc engine

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2008 02:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Right now I am running 2 1/4 pipes into 2 Raptor 2 1/4 mufflers.

So, are both banks then totally separated all the way to the tail pipes?

prostreet505

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2008 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Direct Link to This Post

So, are both banks then totally separated all the way to the tail pipes?

Yes, both both banks are separated all the way to the tailpipes. It is a true dual exhaust.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2008 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Yes, both both banks are separated all the way to the tailpipes. It is a true dual exhaust.

Ah, that's why it sounds so damn good!

When you hear that beautiful V8 sound rumbling through a true dual exhaust, you wonder why anyone would put any money into a V6 at all.

If you were forced to put cats on this Fiero, would there be any room to do so with the way you ran the pipes/mufflers?
prostreet505

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2008 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Direct Link to This Post

If you were forced to put cats on this Fiero, would there be any room to do so with the way you ran the pipes/mufflers?

With the configuration I have now it would take a couple new pipes being bent to make the cats work, but it could be done pretty easy.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2008 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

With the configuration I have now it would take a couple new pipes being bent to make the cats work, but it could be done pretty easy.

If you ever find yourself under the back of the car with a camera, it would be great to see just how you ran both banks of exhaust.

I don't know how many times I've heard/read that the reason most guys go two into one and then back out to two tail pipes is because there's no room for two cats and two mufflers. Glad to hear that it should indeed be possible.

You know, I've been hanging on to a rusted out old 1978 Z28 Camaro for years and years because the 350 in it ran so strong. I've always dreamed of putting this motor in a Fiero. Projects like yours may yet inspire me to do so.

PFF
System Bot
FieroWannaBe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2008 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeDirect Link to This Post
So, you think you can convince me to convert to be a v8 lover? Id love the see the car in person.

------------------
1986GT 4-speed DOHC and 1987GT Auto

prostreet505

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2008 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroWannaBe:

So, you think you can convince me to convert to be a v8 lover? Id love the see the car in person.

Your not that far from me, so we can arrange a meeting.

I don't want to convert you into a V8 lover though. Everybody has their own engine preference, and mine was a sbc. I love the way they sound and I know those engines like the back of my hand. Don't get me wrong, I also love the 3800sc and the 3.4 X motor. So if you want to meet and swap stories and shoot the s**t, I'm all for it. I'll even take you for a ride and show you how slow it is.
prostreet505

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2008 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Direct Link to This Post

prostreet505

426 posts
Member since May 2007

If you ever find yourself under the back of the car with a camera, it would be great to see just how you ran both banks of exhaust.

I don't know how many times I've heard/read that the reason most guys go two into one and then back out to two tail pipes is because there's no room for two cats and two mufflers. Glad to hear that it should indeed be possible.

You know, I've been hanging on to a rusted out old 1978 Z28 Camaro for years and years because the 350 in it ran so strong. I've always dreamed of putting this motor in a Fiero. Projects like yours may yet inspire me to do so.

I also cut some of the trunk out so I could stack the mufflers ontop of each other. I will get some pictures so you can see how it was done.

MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2008 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroWannaBe:

I can tell you I am a die hard 3800SC fan and love the setup I run in my 88 Coupe. A friend had a 84 Coupe with a 350 TPI/4 speed here that we did some work on over the year. Once it was finally back together and running 75% right, we did some test runs in the car. There is no doudt that a V-8 on a manuel trans in a Fiero will put a smile on your face. And it doesnt have to be a high HP swap to do so but it doesnt hurt. The torque of the V-8 is so much differant than that on the 3800SC and the sound cant be beat. I am working on a LS4 swap now so hopefully it will be all that I want it to be. I even thought about doing a carbed V-8 on a 4 speed just for the hell of it and the torque.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2008 03:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

I also cut some of the trunk out so I could stack the mufflers ontop of each other. I will get some pictures so you can see how it was done.

That would be great. I'm sure a lot of us here would appreciate that. Thanks.
Kento

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2008 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoDirect Link to This Post
Any Dyno #'s yet?

------------------

dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2008 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolDirect Link to This Post
No dyno numbers yet.

Craig is busy working on my car.

I am trying to get him to put some more miles on the new engine tho.

dominik
prostreet505

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2008 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Direct Link to This Post
I figured I would keep the thread alive by showing you what has been going on with the car lately. I have only 75 miles left before I can dyno it. So the results will be coming in soon. In the mean time I decided to do a complete body panel replacement with a 86 fastback set-up. I tryed selling the 86 on the forum, but everybody that was interested didn't want to spend the $1500 I was asking for it. Any way here is the donor car:

The wife even wanted to participate:

I give the wife some tools and go inside to grab something to eat and look what happens:

At least she left me 1 door to take off, and the black notchback clip she set on there. She didn't know we were going to install the silver body panels off the 84.

Here is the stripped down 86:

prostreet505

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2008 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Direct Link to This Post
Now comes the stripping of the 84 Screamer. We are replacing all the body panels and the interior trim and center counsel:

My baby stripped down:

Now the exterior body being installed:

I had to install the supports for the ground effects since the 84 did not have them:

Now the rear bumper and taillights installed:

Installed the new inner wheel wells:

Now the doors, fenders and front bumper:

Now the IROC-Z heat extractor hood:

We did not install the rear decklid yet because I still have to cut that out for the scoop and we didn't install the rear quarter panels and side skirts yet because we are going to get some quarter panel scoops, just don't know which ones yet. Also bought some quarter window scoops off of the forum that I have to install once they arrive.

More to come....

Craig
dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2008 03:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the fastback family !
PFF
System Bot
Kyle1016

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2008 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kyle1016Send a Private Message to Kyle1016Direct Link to This Post
Anything new ? What side scoops are you going with?
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2008 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by prostreet505 on 03-11-2008 at 12:01 AM:

I will post the dyno results as soon as I break the engine in a bit.

Craig

3+ months later....

Fer shizzle?

[This message has been edited by darkhorizon (edited 06-24-2008).]

30+mpg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2008 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post
I hate it when a new engine blows up.
Blue Shift

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2008 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Blue ShiftSend a Private Message to Blue ShiftDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 30+mpg:

That always pisses me off...
prostreet505

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2008 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

3+ months later....

Fer shizzle?

Originally posted by 30+mpg:

Originally posted by Blue Shift:

That always pisses me off...

There are no dyno results yet due to I have been burried with work at the shop, plus I am also setting up shop for Fiero's Unlimited, and moving into a larger house.

I'm sorry, but my family and my customers come first. If it wasn't for my customers I would not have all the toys that I have and live the lifestyle that I do.

I am a man of my word, and will post the dyno results as soon as I have some time to get it done.

Craig

fierohobby

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2008 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohobbySend a Private Message to fierohobbyDirect Link to This Post
<*parts curtain, peeps in*> ...?...

-fh
Kento

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2008 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoDirect Link to This Post
Yet another curious lurker!

------------------

Found a Red 84 4speed, Waiting to get a house so I can re-home it
Ther are Two kinds of Fiero's : Notchies and Donors!

Chug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2008 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChugSend a Private Message to ChugDirect Link to This Post
Damn Craig, I'm a dumbass!! I was just on 83rd and Oklohoma (brother lives there) last week and wanted to get up with you and see that car. Well maby next year I'll have to get up with ya.
ducattiman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2008 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ducattimanSend a Private Message to ducattimanDirect Link to This Post
Eh did u get around to getting it dyno'd??

I am very interested on what it made..The 350 over here r very expensive,but alot of cheap 305 to kick around
maliqua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2008 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maliquaClick Here to visit maliqua's HomePageSend a Private Message to maliquaDirect Link to This Post
This is an awesome thread, let me start by saying I'm a complete novice and have no experience in this area

I was looking to put a SBC in my fiero and have started the project recently I was going to use a 350 but being broke I opted for a 305 (free stuff is awesome) ...

I was at a loss for the most part, i found any real information hard to find and generally ended with "Why the hell would you use a 305" and the thread would die shortly after.

I know I'm going to be mocked for using it but fact of the matter is I don't have much money and I'm just trying to build something I've dreamed about for 15 or so years now. Without people like you who are willing to take the time to explain not only how you do something but why your doing it. And even more importantly explain it in a way that someone like myself can understand.

so thank you

(edited for grammar)

[This message has been edited by maliqua (edited 08-27-2008).]

PFF
System Bot
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2008 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
I also fail to see why people dump on the 305. Sure it often is a smog equiped engine and needs headwork to make it go, but it is bigger than a 283, or 301 and can produce 300 hp with some work. I don't recall a Fiero actually needing more than 300 hp for the street. I have also been waiting with bated breath to see the dyno.

Arn
maliqua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2008 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maliquaClick Here to visit maliqua's HomePageSend a Private Message to maliquaDirect Link to This Post
This may be a stupid question but I have to ask..

the headers, in theory could you attach them upside down so the exhaust end would be pointing upwards rather than down..

basically are they symmetrical on all axis that are relevant?

Kyle1016

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2008 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kyle1016Send a Private Message to Kyle1016Direct Link to This Post
Craigs, whats going on man? You get my package ?
prostreet505

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2008 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Direct Link to This Post
I am sorry for the delay with the results. The truth of the matter is that I sold the screamer to help finance Fieros Unlimited. Worst thing I could have ever done!! I missed the car so much I found the guy I sold it to, just to find out that he traded it for a Capri. So I tracked this guy down and found out that the car was sunk down 6" in mud and no longer ran. He told me that the exhaust strarted glowing and the timing chain had broke and he wanted nothing to do with the car anymore. So I bought the car back dirt cheap.

I towed the car home and gave it a look over and found out the timing chain was fine, but the distributor mechanical advance had broke from the shaft. I called the company where I bought the distributor and they sent me a new one since it was still under warranty. I installed the distributor and she fired right up and runs like new.

Now that I have the screamer back home where it belongs, I am going to have it dynoed very soon. Please bear with me though, as I am very busy with setting up everything for the new Fieros Unlimited shop. I have taken on a partner with the business to help get Fieros Unlimited up and operational before the snow flies. He is a member of this forum also. I will let him reveal himself when he feels the time is right.

Hear are some pictures of the future home of Fieros Unlimited:

Plus I can't forget the pictures of the newest member of the family:

Craig

------------------

tjm4fun

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2008 01:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
Good luck with your new venture. Glad you got the screamer back.
Have a question tho, that last thing in the set of pictures, the black one that may have once been a fiero..... are you going to de-rice it? there are a couple nice pieces on that car that would be nice on other cars, but that is so over done I cringe looking at it.

slinger

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2008 02:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for slingerSend a Private Message to slingerDirect Link to This Post

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2008 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

I imagine you bought this car to save it...

ARchie rockers = uck
Exhaust tips = WTF were they thinking...
super scoops = what are you trying accomplish with those...
Ram air hood = wierd looking and UNfunctional.
Looks like someone cut the "chin spoiler" to bits... what happened there?

Wing and rear extractor are also fail city.... ugg and those tail lights AHH

This black car is fail overload.
kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2008 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post

ARchie rockers = uck

Agreed x10, there looks to be a nice car worth saving under all that rice. The rear bumper looks funny, it still has the gaps where the tips SHOULD go, they look stupid sticking so far out. Shouldn't be too hard to fix though.
prostreet505

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2008 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Direct Link to This Post

ARchie rockers = uck

Originally posted by kawana:

Agreed x10, there looks to be a nice car worth saving under all that rice. The rear bumper looks funny, it still has the gaps where the tips SHOULD go, they look stupid sticking so far out. Shouldn't be too hard to fix though.

LOL,
I didn't build this car guys, and I agree the car is overkill. It will be stripped down and get a serious make-over with a detailed build thread. This car is going to get a drivetrain from a 03 Impalla SS along with alot of other serious mods. Watch for the "Rice Removal Build Thread" coming soon to a forum near you.

Craig
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock