Started on: 11-20-2007 12:12 AM
Replies: 310
Last post by: InTheLead on 11-05-2009 03:38 PM
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2007 07:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
Paint the lifter valley with Rustoleum for faster oil runoff. Be advised that it will not stay on there forever, though. The oil and the heat will slowly remove it.

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

IP: Logged
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2007 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
On a carb, the intake side is left rough to assist in atomization. The exhaust side is polished for every application.

As for painting? Why in blazes would you want paint in the engine? If you want oil to run off more smoothly, make it a smoother surface.

There are some additives, like Zmax that would be far more preferable over paint IMHO

Arn
tesmith66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2007 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
The Rustoleum in the lifter valley is an old racer's trick that is way easier than smoothing the block.
prostreet505

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2007 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

On a carb, the intake side is left rough to assist in atomization. The exhaust side is polished for every application.

As for painting? Why in blazes would you want paint in the engine? If you want oil to run off more smoothly, make it a smoother surface.

There are some additives, like Zmax that would be far more preferable over paint IMHO

Arn

I understand that the intake side is rough to assist in atomization but, you can still remove some of the material to give it a smoother finish which allows the air fuel mixture to move more freely into the combustion chamber. I am not going to make them look like glass.

I didn't say I was going to paint the lifter valley. I remembered reading about it sometime ago but, I could not find where I read it at. I was just curious about the pros and cons of it and if it lasted.
prostreet505

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2007 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Direct Link to This Post
It has been a little while since I posted on this build. I have been busy with a customers car. I still didn't finish porting the heads because I ran out of porting bits and had to order some more, which I just recieved today. While I was waiting for the bits I started on the lower half of the engine. I removed the pistons and rods from the block.

Then I used some plastigage to measure the main bearings and rod bearings. The OEM main bearing clearance is Rear main cap (.034mm-.081mm) My reading was (.051mm) The clearance for the intermediate caps are (.028-.058mm) My reading again was (.051mm) and the clearance for the front cap is (.020-.050mm) and my reading was (.038mm) All the clearances are within the specifications so I bought a set of standard size main bearings and remeasured with plastigage. All is good with the new main bearings.

Here is a reading of the plastigage:

You can see the strips of green plastigage still on the main journals of the crank:

Then I decided to start the honing of the cylinders. This is what the cylinders looked like before I strated the honing:

You can still see the cross thatch in the cylinders from the factory:

This is what a cylinder will look like after honing:

2nd cylinder:

3rd cylinder:

4th cylinder:

other 4 cylinders:

Here is the block with the cylinders honed and the new main bearings installed:

Tomorrow I will show you the specs on the new rod bearings and new piston rings.

More to come:

Craig
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2007 07:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Was there any ridge at the top of the cylinders? I would guess not if you can still see the factory cross hatch, not bad for 86,000 miles.
flames4me

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2007 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for flames4meSend a Private Message to flames4meDirect Link to This Post
yea, I can see some ring ridge at the top of the cyl, dont you normally want to remove this before honing? or since you are still using the same pistons doesn't it matter?
JTUOIT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2007 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JTUOITSend a Private Message to JTUOITDirect Link to This Post
prostreet505,

I really like what you're doing here and am keenly following everything you are doing with this build so far.

At first, I was considering a supercharged 302 project (along the same vein as Hot Rod's build, a few years ago)... essentially a short stroke/large bore screamer with on demand torque.... but, if this works out well (which it looks like its coming along fairly well), this would be a much better base building block... 327 blocks are hard enough to come by, let alone spare 283 cranks... and L99 cranks for 350's aren't too commonplace either... around here, 305's are a dime a dozen, and would be much more budget friendly...

keep the parts list updated! also if possible, a list of any specialty tools used?

thanks a bunch

JT
prostreet505

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2007 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Direct Link to This Post
Jake and Flames,

Good question about the ring ridge. Yes, there was a slight ridge in the cylinders and I did remove it using a ridge reamer prior to honing the cylinders. If you don't remove the ridge, when you go to install the pistons with the new rings you can snap and break the new rings. The thing about the ridge is that without having the block machined by a machine shop you can never remove all of the ridge. You can take enough of the ridge off by yourself with a ridge reamer and honing to safely install the pistons and rings. You should always remove the ridge in the cylinder before installing new pistons and rings or old pistons and rings. One of my next posts on piston ring end gap should give you a better idea of how you will know if you have removed enough of the ridge to safely install the pistons and rings.

Craig
prostreet505

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2007 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Direct Link to This Post

prostreet505

426 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by JTUOIT:

prostreet505,

I really like what you're doing here and am keenly following everything you are doing with this build so far.

At first, I was considering a supercharged 302 project (along the same vein as Hot Rod's build, a few years ago)... essentially a short stroke/large bore screamer with on demand torque.... but, if this works out well (which it looks like its coming along fairly well), this would be a much better base building block... 327 blocks are hard enough to come by, let alone spare 283 cranks... and L99 cranks for 350's aren't too commonplace either... around here, 305's are a dime a dozen, and would be much more budget friendly...

keep the parts list updated! also if possible, a list of any specialty tools used?

thanks a bunch

JT

Thanks JT, I am glad to see that you are interested. I did post a parts list towards the beginning of the thread, but I am going to wait until the build is almost done to update the list of parts and tools and where I aquired them from so anybody can do this themselves.

Craig
prostreet505

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2007 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Direct Link to This Post

prostreet505

426 posts
Member since May 2007
Now back to the build:

I installed new main bearings and applied some engine assembly grease to them before installing the crankshaft and torque the main bearing caps to 80 ftlbs so when you go to start the engine for the first time the bearings will be protected until the engine builds up oil pressure.

Now that the crankshaft is installed you can move on to your connecting rod bearings. Remove the piston rings for this step. The specs for the stock bearing clearance is (.033-.089mm) I used the same method with the plastigage here that I did with the main bearings and my reading was (.043mm) So I am within the specs, so I installed some new standard size rod bearings and rechecked the clearance so I won't have any future issues.

After removing the pistons and rods from the block again you can now clean your piston grooves on your piston. They do make a tool for this, but I always take a old piston ring and break it in half and use this to clean out any build up inside the piston ring grooves on the piston. It works really well. Now you can take a new piston ring and slide it into one of the cylinders so you can measure your piston ring end gap. You have to do this on all of the cylinders. You want to take 3 different measurements. The first one being at the top of the cylinder, the next one being at the center of the cylinder, and the final one about an inch lower than the center one. You have to do this with all 3 rings. I'll use one ring as an example. The stock specs are (.010-.020) my reading was (.015) in all 3 places. This also tells me that the cylinders are not dished. Which means the cylinder is the same size at the top as it is on the bottom. Dished means the bottom of the cylinder is wider at the bottom than it is at the top. This measurement also tells me I will have no problem installing the pistons with the new rings.

Now you can install the new rings onto the pistons. Pay close attention to the directions that come with the new piston rings, as different style rings will have different style markings on them to let you know what side faces up and what ring goove it should go in. Here are some of the pistons with the new rings installed:

Now that the pistons are ready you can install the ring compressor on the piston and compress the piston rings into the piston. Make sure you install the piston in the same cylinder that it came out of and make sure it is facing the same direction. Most pistons have a notch marking on the top of the piston which is to point to the front of the engine. That is why I used this box to identify the piston location:

Here is the piston installed in the ring compressor:

Make sure you install some assembly grease to the rod bearings before installing the piston into the cylinder. I also coat the cylinder walls with WD40 before installing the pistons. Gently tap the piston with a rubber hammer into the cylinder and guide the connecting rod onto the crankshaft and torque the connecting rod cap to 45 ftlbs. Do this on all the cylinders. You will have to rotate the crankshaft to make it easier to install the other connecting rods. After all the pistons are installed and torqued, rotate the crankshaft several revolutions to make sure there is no abnormal binding.

More to come:

Craig
PFF
System Bot
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2007 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Real nice thread. Please keep it coming and thanks

Arn
tesmith66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2007 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
This is a great thread! Thanks for doing all of this.

When I measure end gap, I use a piston upside down to square the ring up in the bore before I measure to make sure I get good numbers. I never thought of using a ring to check for taper like that. Pretty cool. I've always found taper to be largets at the top of the bore, not the bottom, but I guess if the ring gap is within spec from top to bottom the taper is acceptable.

Can you show us how you filed the rings?

Thanks again.

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

fierohobby

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2007 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohobbySend a Private Message to fierohobbyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by prostreet505:
As for your dipstick, you must have a pre 86 engine block with a drivers side dipstick. ... 86 and newer blocks came with a passenger side mounted dipstick ...

Thank you sir, that's a handy piece of information about now. PM sent.

-fh

gt7

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2007 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gt7Send a Private Message to gt7Direct Link to This Post
Good show-and-tell work and description. Keep the buildup info coming.

------------------
Tom
Suffolk, Va
87 Gt 2.8-5spd
87 Gt 350-5spd
88 T-top coupe 2.5-5spd

prostreet505

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2007 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by tesmith66:

Can you show us how you filed the rings?

For a first time builder I would not recommend using the file to fit rings, I would recommend using the stock standard size rings.

I did use the file to fit rings but I used an angle grinder clamped in a vise. I have it plugged into a variable power outlet. Basicly a switched outlet on a dimmer switch to lower the rpm of the angle grinder from 11,000 rpm down to about 1,500 rpm. The disc in the grinder is a 1/4 inch thick. It looks a little cheesy but it works very well. The picture shows me holding the ring with one hand, but that was just for the picture, I always use two hands while filing the rings. You have to take it easy doing it this way. Just take it real slow and measure the ring alot. You can always go back and file more off, but you cannot add any material back to the ring if you take to much off.

Thanks for the complements from everybody. I am glad to see that there are people interested in the build.

More to come...

Craig
Cooter

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2007 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterDirect Link to This Post
Just a couple of things I noticed and you may have addressed already-
Did you replace the cam bearings? Most often the cause of low oil pressure is not excessive clearance in the rod/main bearings, but the cam bearings worn thin.
The exhaust crossover on one of your heads looks like it has been really hot at some point in time. Pop had that flapper valve on the exhaust in his 305 truck get stuck and warped both heads and the intake. Check them carefully for cracks caused by the excessive heat going through the thin castings.
Other than that, everything looks great! Keep it coming.
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2007 05:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXDirect Link to This Post
What are you doing to up compression ratio?

Installing a bigger cam reduces low-end torque because the dynamic compression at low engine speeds is reduced, and increasing the static compression is the only way to resolve this.
Russ544

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2007 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Direct Link to This Post
Interesting buildup.
as an "oldtimer" I can shed some light on painting the engine valley. don't use rustoleum, as it will not hold up and you really don't want that in the oil system of your engine. what we used in the "old days" was actually a product intended to coat electric motor armatures after rewinding them. very tough stuf. it does aid in oil rreturn, but mainly it seals the pores of the cast iron block to keep things clean down there. with todays methods of cooking the blocks, and other cleaning methods, the coating isn't really needed (although many of us old farts still do it ).

press any key to continue,
Russ544
DPWood

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2007 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DPWoodClick Here to visit DPWood's HomePageSend a Private Message to DPWoodDirect Link to This Post
Handy thread to keep an eye on since i've currently got one 305 and 2-350's out in my shed for rebuild. The most expensive of the three was the 305....it cost me a case of beer. I'm doing up the 305 for a friend at work to put in his TA. Pretty much the same build you have going on, although...I haven't spec'd a cam for it yet because he might just stick with the stock iron intake if his budget is too tight after X-mas. We'll see.

A few well chosen parts can go a long way. The budget I'm working with is probably going to be half of yours but there are a few places I plan save $$ from what you've chosen. Just the basics of cam/intake/hedders, the best pieces I can scrounge for the money. I'll probably just stick with a good roller timing set rather than a gear drive. The carb....I can get a rebuild kit for the stock Rochester for about $50.00. Huge savings over an aftermarket carb. Too many people just say go to a Holley but the stock carb is quite capable of very good performance.

I'm Looking forward to seeing a bit more on the head porting. I've finished port matching the intake and heads and I just ordered some smaller carbides to get into the bowls. How were you going to do the valve seats?? What about the guides?? My valves only had a small amount of pitting on the exhaust side so I spent a bit of extra time lapping. None of the valves were pounded out and they felt good within the guides.

BTW... Everything I've read on porting for a carb application is consistant about leaving the intake surface slightly rough to the touch otherwise fuel can drop out of suspension and puddle along the intake tract. I finished mine off with a 60 grit cartrige roll. Leaves a finish that is about right. The exhaust side and can be done to a mirror polish to help keep carbon from building up.

And that bit about painting the inside of a block. IF you want to do it, use Glyptal...It's pretty much impervious to the oils and such inside an engine. Personally I just put a nice chamfer on all the drain holes and call it a day.

Keep up the good info

David

------------------
His Fiero: 1984 2M4 Coupe

Her Fiero: 1984 2M4 Convertible

jimmybpei

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2007 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimmybpeiSend a Private Message to jimmybpeiDirect Link to This Post
one of the guys at work did the same with his s10 ... he used a vortec 305 and carbed it with an intake and headers. wh also has a 9 sec race car. he wanted to prove that he could use a305 and makie a 13 sec street truck with minimal monies.... he has said that there is a cam setup for this moter that will make it over 400hp .
but he says it is pretty expensive... i'll find out his excat combo if you want as well as cam he was talking aboujt.

later
jimmyb
PFF
System Bot
prostreet505

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2007 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Direct Link to This Post
Kurt,

I am not planning on bumping the comp. up on this motor. I know what point you are trying to make about the low end torque. Which is correct in theroy, but in reality the loss will not be that noticeable. I have thought about using thin copper head gaskets and shave the heads to bump the comp. ratio, but I want to keep this build on a level that a novice first time builder can do everything on there own and be happy with the end result. My goal is 300hp for this build. I know for a fact that this build will reach that goal very easy and then some.

DP,

I hear what you are saying about the holley. I personally don't care for holleys. Like you said a Rochester can be a very good carb if built right.
I am not going to do anything with the valve guides as they appear to be in great shape. The valve seats are still pretty good. Before I tore down the engine I did a leakdown test on the cylinders and all the cylinders turned out to be okay. I am going to reseat the valves with some valve grinding compound before I install them back in the head. I am not going to go crazy on the port and polishing because I want to keep this simple for a novice builder, but I am going to go just enough for this engine to breath properly.

Russ & DP

Thanks for the tip on the paint for the lifter valley.

Craig

prostreet505

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2007 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Direct Link to This Post

prostreet505

426 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by jimmybpei:

one of the guys at work did the same with his s10 ... he used a vortec 305 and carbed it with an intake and headers. wh also has a 9 sec race car. he wanted to prove that he could use a305 and makie a 13 sec street truck with minimal monies.... he has said that there is a cam setup for this moter that will make it over 400hp .
but he says it is pretty expensive... i'll find out his excat combo if you want as well as cam he was talking aboujt.

later
jimmyb

If you can find out what setup he is running I would like to hear about it.

Craig
prostreet505

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2007 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Direct Link to This Post
Now you can install the oilpump and pick-up tube and the oil pump drive onto the engine. I took the oilpump apart and cleaned it up before installing it. I also packed the oil pump gears with assembly grease before I put it back together. If you don't feel comfortable taking the oilpump apart you can buy a new one for about $20.00

I installed the oilpan that I bought on ebay for $25.00 with several bolts so no dirt gets into the lower half of the engine.

Now you want to install the crank gear on the crankshaft. You can use a large socket to tap the crank gear on.

Then you can lube up the camshaft with the assembly grease. I used the grease that came with the edelbrock cam kit. If you don't they say it voids the warranty.

Now you can install the camshaft into the block. Becarefull not to knick the bearings on your way in. Just take it nice and easy. It might help if you use 3 long bolt and thread them into the front of the camshaft to help you balance the camshaft while installing it.

Install your camshaft sprocket:

Make sure you line up your timing marks, dot to dot. Slide the idler gears in place and torque the camshaft sprocket bolts to 20 ft lbs.

Install the timing cover gasket to the block. I use 3M weatherstrip adhesive to make the gasket stick to the block.

On a gear drive setup there is no timing chain to hold the camshaft in place so it does not walk out of the block. Therefore you need to get a cam button. The cam button slides in the front of the camshaft and pushes against the timing cover to hold the camshaft in place. Add some assembly grease to the cam button and install the timing cover.

Now remove the timing cover and the grease should leave a mark on the timing cover if the button does not have to be shimmed.

We now have to check the clearance on the floating idler gears. The idler gears also get held in place by the timing cover.Now slide the idler gears out about 1/4 inch and then reinstall the timing cover.

Remove the timing cover again and check for clearance behind the idler gear. You should have .015 of an inch clearance in between the block and the rear shaft of the left side of the gear.

If the clearance is good you can reinstall the timing cover and torque bolts to 8 ft lbs. If the clearance is not enough you have to grind some material off the rear shaft of the left gear to get the clearance to .015 of a inch. In this case the clearance is good, so I installed a new crank seal in the timing cover and applied some assembly grease to the timing gears and reinstalled the cover onto the engine.

You can see how much more durable and accurate the gear drive is compared to the stock timing chain.

More to come.....

Craig
timwdegner

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2007 02:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for timwdegnerSend a Private Message to timwdegnerDirect Link to This Post
Wow! Great thread Craig, I appreciate the detail you go into in a step by step fashion. You make everything black and white (or maybe red and chrome). Thanks for taking the time to build this thread and also for sidestepping the flames so admirably.
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2007 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
I have a question for ya'.

With the pistons out and new rings, I would have expected you to do some weighing and balancing the piston assemblies, but, from what I've read you haven't done that. You have a reason, of course, and maybe you can explain the relative merits.

Arn
tjm4fun

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2007 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
nice writeup.
since you have written this with the novice in mind, just a couple of things for their bag o tricks when assembling and checking.
when checking the piston bore, do it before the crank is installed, so you can use a piston to square up the ring at the various points in the bore for the checks. the ring MUST be square for a true measurement.
when doing the final install of the piston, put a 1 ft lenght of 3/8 rubber hose on the rod studs to help guide it over the crank bosses without worry of knicking it. If you have done bolts, use some wooden dowels in place of the studs with a small piece of hose at the base to guide the end over the crank. install the studs in the rods after they are in place.
Clevite77 is one of the best assembly lubes for all bearing surfaces. sticky, yet will not harden and block the oil flow. (looks suspiciously like the lube that came with your cam, cause that;s what cmae with mine, and it was the exact color and consistency of the stuff in my bottle I used for the rest of the stuff)
for the cylinder walls, wet a clean rag with regular oil and wipe it down, just enough for a film there for the install. the wd40 is fine for the ring compressor, light and won't cake the rings.
in a pinch, good ol vaseline works great to pack the oilpump gears with for the initial install.

just a few old time things a novice can use, costs nothing and can save some damage during the asembly.

As for the painting the valley, it does help, but what helps more is chamfering the return holes on the heads and the valley, and making sure there is no restriction thru the head gasket, the hole in the gasket is often smaller than the returns. the most oil tends to get trapped in the head area on a high rpm motor.

fiero go fast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2007 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero go fastSend a Private Message to fiero go fastDirect Link to This Post
A few quick questions, are most torque specs for internals the same between stock engines (302, 305, 327,350, etc etc)?

Secondly, is the main purpose for filing the rings just to get your clearances closer within spec? For instance, buying an overside ring, and then filing it to what is needed.

Great thread, keep up the great work with the detail and such. Plus for you.

Thanks,
Matt
luvin_my_fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2007 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for luvin_my_fieroClick Here to visit luvin_my_fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to luvin_my_fieroDirect Link to This Post
one thing i would have done is tack weld the pick up tube onto the oil pump. that bit me in the ass one time on a 350 and ever since,mine all get tack welded. mine was a tight fit when assembled and everything but im telling you from experience, they can still come loose.

------------------
Keith
Topsail Beach,NC
86&87 Fiero GT
86&96 Corvette
04 Harley Davidson Softail
73 Lotus Europa Twin Cam
86 Lotus Turbo Esprit

"He who dies with the most toys wins!!!"

GTFiero1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2007 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post
though already installed i usually wouldnt recommend using a gear drive. Though it sounds cool, it actually shortens engine life by inducing harmonics into the valvetrain and motor, hence why you never really see any racer running them, kind of a show-car cool sound thing anymore.

The 305 heads will need quite a bit of work to make use of that cam, definately need bowl work and chamber clean up. Heads are the power, you can have the most expensive bottom end and the best cam in the world but it wont mean anything without good flowing heads. Also screw in rocker studs should be a must, the increased lift and spring pressure with that cam can rip the studs right out.

I have seen build ups with the 205 producing 300hp or more, its entirely possible, it just easier with a 350. bad thing with the 305 is the long stroke/ small bore is low rpm power, even with the reduced weight its just not that great of a combo for rpm but good as hell for low rpm torque. But the HO 305 is the way to go if building it because of the flat-top pistons netting a higher compression ratio. with the right parts and combo you can do 300hp out of a 305

------------------

Fiero- mild 2.9 160hp
Caprice- wild 383 500hp
--Adam-- ASE Certified Technician
IM AOL: FieroGT5speed

[This message has been edited by GTFiero1 (edited 12-17-2007).]

fiero88v8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2007 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero88v8Send a Private Message to fiero88v8Direct Link to This Post
I think you are doing a splendid job on the rebuild as well as the step by step walk through. If anyone doesnt like what your doing or are being negative about your "very professional job and attitude", well.....Im sure they know what they can do. keep it goin.its very interesting
PFF
System Bot
prostreet505

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2007 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by GTFiero1:

though already installed i usually wouldnt recommend using a gear drive. Though it sounds cool, it actually shortens engine life by inducing harmonics into the valvetrain and motor, hence why you never really see any racer running them, kind of a show-car cool sound thing anymore.

The 305 heads will need quite a bit of work to make use of that cam, definately need bowl work and chamber clean up. Heads are the power, you can have the most expensive bottom end and the best cam in the world but it wont mean anything without good flowing heads. Also screw in rocker studs should be a must, the increased lift and spring pressure with that cam can rip the studs right out.

I have seen build ups with the 205 producing 300hp or more, its entirely possible, it just easier with a 350. bad thing with the 305 is the long stroke/ small bore is low rpm power, even with the reduced weight its just not that great of a combo for rpm but good as hell for low rpm torque. But the HO 305 is the way to go if building it because of the flat-top pistons netting a higher compression ratio. with the right parts and combo you can do 300hp out of a 305

Ummmm Okay,

For starters, I will not need screw in studs. The stock studs will work perfectly fine along with the stock springs. Per edelbrocks website they say that you should use the sure seat valve springs or the stock valve springs with this cam and lifter set up. Trust me I used this set-up before, And the gear drive. " Show car sounds cool thing"?? I have never heard of it shortening engine life and valve train. A gear drive set-up is the most dead on accurate timing set-up you can get that is good up to 8000 rpm. A gear drive has no chain to stretch under heavy acceleration which intern keeps your timing dead on.

The 305 is not a low end torque engine it is an upper rpm band engine, and has the same stroke as a 350 just a smaller bore. This engine is the L69 engine code which makes it the 305 HO

As for the heads, they are going to be ported and polished and they do not need alot of work. The 86 305 HO heads flow pretty well to begin with, but since everbody has been anxious about the heads I'll show a couple of pictures of the work so far.

No more pictures of the heads untill I have them done. Then I will go through the step by step process.

Craig
prostreet505

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2007 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Direct Link to This Post

prostreet505

426 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by fiero go fast:

A few quick questions, are most torque specs for internals the same between stock engines (302, 305, 327,350, etc etc)?

Secondly, is the main purpose for filing the rings just to get your clearances closer within spec? For instance, buying an overside ring, and then filing it to what is needed.

Great thread, keep up the great work with the detail and such. Plus for you.

Thanks,
Matt

The torque specs may be close on certain engines, but I would still double check your torque specs with a manual for the year of the engine. Your right on target about your file to fit ring question.
Thanks for the compliment.

Craig
prostreet505

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2007 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Direct Link to This Post

prostreet505

426 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

I have a question for ya'.

With the pistons out and new rings, I would have expected you to do some weighing and balancing the piston assemblies, but, from what I've read you haven't done that. You have a reason, of course, and maybe you can explain the relative merits.

Arn

Good question Arn. I didn't want to get into any balancing or blueprinting of the engine, because that can start to get very involved and tricky. I mean we are talking about grams coming off a piston to make them equal. If a person does not have an accurate way to measure this it can cause alot of problems. Plus I want to keep this build under $2000.00 You know as well as I do that I could go on and on about the internals of the engine to make it better, but along with that comes the price tag.

Craig
prostreet505

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2007 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Direct Link to This Post

prostreet505

426 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by luvin_my_fiero:

one thing i would have done is tack weld the pick up tube onto the oil pump. that bit me in the ass one time on a 350 and ever since,mine all get tack welded. mine was a tight fit when assembled and everything but im telling you from experience, they can still come loose.

Good thing to keep in mind. I never had that happen to me yet. But there is always a first.
Thanks for the tip
CTFieroGT87

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2007 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTFieroGT87Send a Private Message to CTFieroGT87Direct Link to This Post
Nothing more reliable than a good gear drive, especially at that rpm. Current tensioners might be good, but man can that chain wriggle like a snake at those speeds!

------------------
Christian
87 Pontiac Fiero GT Burgandy/Silver 5.7L ZZ4 5spd, 88 suspension, C6 polished wheels, C5 Z06 brakes, Konis, poly'd, Spec Stg 3
301rwhp/345rwtq
Stovebolt Powered!!!!!
06 Cobalt SS/SC w/ LSD (the slow DD)

prostreet505

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2007 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by tjm4fun:

nice writeup.
since you have written this with the novice in mind, just a couple of things for their bag o tricks when assembling and checking.
when checking the piston bore, do it before the crank is installed, so you can use a piston to square up the ring at the various points in the bore for the checks. the ring MUST be square for a true measurement.
when doing the final install of the piston, put a 1 ft lenght of 3/8 rubber hose on the rod studs to help guide it over the crank bosses without worry of knicking it. If you have done bolts, use some wooden dowels in place of the studs with a small piece of hose at the base to guide the end over the crank. install the studs in the rods after they are in place.
Clevite77 is one of the best assembly lubes for all bearing surfaces. sticky, yet will not harden and block the oil flow. (looks suspiciously like the lube that came with your cam, cause that;s what cmae with mine, and it was the exact color and consistency of the stuff in my bottle I used for the rest of the stuff)
for the cylinder walls, wet a clean rag with regular oil and wipe it down, just enough for a film there for the install. the wd40 is fine for the ring compressor, light and won't cake the rings.
in a pinch, good ol vaseline works great to pack the oilpump gears with for the initial install.

just a few old time things a novice can use, costs nothing and can save some damage during the asembly.

As for the painting the valley, it does help, but what helps more is chamfering the return holes on the heads and the valley, and making sure there is no restriction thru the head gasket, the hole in the gasket is often smaller than the returns. the most oil tends to get trapped in the head area on a high rpm motor.

I agree with everthing you have added except the vaseline in the oil pump. I have ran into the vaseline getting into the oil filter and restricting it. I'm not saying the method is wrong because tons of people use this method with no harm done. But vaseline does not break down as easy as assembly grease does.
Thanks for the input.

Craig
flames4me

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2007 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for flames4meSend a Private Message to flames4meDirect Link to This Post
hey I have a quick question for anybody, can you bolt on a big block oil pump for better oiling? I have heard of people putting BB oil pumps in their small blocks but is it a direct fit, or is there something else that has to be done? thanks
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2007 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
This 305 made 372hp/350tq at crank. Much more than many 350s out there

http://www.popularhotroddin...ne_blocks/index.html

I think this head/intake/cam/carb package will be less than $2000

[This message has been edited by Alex4mula (edited 12-18-2007).]

Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2007 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
My dad has one of the last 400 crate engines ever built installed in a '75 Jaguar and currently running under a TPI intake manifold.
He installed a double roller timing chain when the engine was brand new. It now has over 300,000 miles on it and will burn the tires in the Jag as long as you hold your foot down...

I'm not convinced that there's anything wrong with a timing chain that compromises its durability for a streetable engine. Its accuracy is defined by stretch, which will be minimal with near stock valve spring loads.

IOW, I think that the gear drive is overkill and that the increased noise will be a compromise that is not offset by measurably better performance.

That type of gear drive tries to pull the right bank gear through the mesh between the crank and cam gears. This puts more lateral loading on the cam snout than you might think. Is it as much as a chain? Who knows? The torque transmitted is the same either way.

I think the best type of gear drive is one with a single fixed idler, but one of those would be out of budget for this build...
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock