Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Performance 4.9 Build-up Thread (Page 7)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
Previous Page | Next Page
Performance 4.9 Build-up Thread by GT
Started on: 04-08-2005 06:44 PM
Replies: 278
Last post by: stickpony on 12-19-2009 11:52 PM
aaronrus

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
User Banned

Report this Post07-29-2006 02:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronrusSend a Private Message to aaronrusDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GT:

Not much to say. I haven't driven it much this summer as the alternator keeps going bad. I sent the last one back to the manufacturer and they said it checks out fine. Suggested I make sure it's getting over 12.5 volts from the battery. If the battery doesn't have over 12.2-12.5 volts it won't turn on the alternator. I was never able to charge my battery above 12.1 volts on a full charge. So I bought a new battery which had 13.2 volts fresh without a charge. But now for some reason since I reinstalled my alternator the belt squeals like crazy and I 'm tired of messing with it. So I just ordered a power steering pump and tensioner from a '91 Allante so the whole belt system will be Cadillac designed and I can just get belts and other parts easily, trouble free. Hopefully I'll get the Caddy pump on in the next few weeks. Not really concerned with how the belt setup looks at this point, I just really want it to be reliable.

-Rick

scrap the allante alternator mounting bracket and alternator.. get a bracket from a 4.9L engine, ANY of them, and the alternator too.. it fits better, and you wont have any issues. the 4.9L caddy alternators are 140 amp too, as opposed to 120 amp for the allante alt. you must have the alt. mounting bracket from the 4.9L also, as it is a slightly different shape and wont fit the allante alternators, and vice versa. it is also entirely possible that the squealing belt and the non-charging alternator are symptoms that the belt you are using is too long, or something is out of allignment? doubtful, but possible. anyways, the 4.9l alternator steup is just better
IP: Logged
GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2006 07:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTDirect Link to This Post
Aaron-

I'm wondering if you've actually used a 4.9 alternator mounting bracket with an Allante lower intake. I have already tried it (earlier in this thread) and, at least with the parts I have, the bolt holes and mounting points don't match up. And I'm using a custom built alternator (earlier in this thread) that puts out 140 amps. It doesn't have any connections except the B+ connection. It goes directly to the battery. If the battery doesn't have sufficient charge the alternator won't turn on. BTW, did you ever do anything with those rare experimental rockers that your Allante engine came with?

-Rick
DRLGTP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2006 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DRLGTPSend a Private Message to DRLGTPDirect Link to This Post
If you clear coated or powder coated your alternator mounting bracket you might not be getting a good ground to the alternator. Try adding a ground wire directly to the alternator to test this.

A friend that I helped with his conversion had powder coated his alternator bracket. His alternator worked intermitently but never very good. He replaced it several times always with the same result. Finally discovered that the powder coating was preventing the alternator from getting a good ground.

Don
GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2006 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTDirect Link to This Post
Thanks don, that was one thing I checked early on. I filed all mounting surfaces to make sure it was getting a good ground.

I found the culprit today. The wire that goes from the back of the alternator to the junction block had a connector on each end. The connector at the alternator end was good. But the connector at the junction block looked good, but was not crimped properly and had come loose inside the crimp. I couldn't tell until I yanked on the wire and it came off. I repaired the connector end and it's charging at 14.5 volts. YAY!

Also, when I had put my alternator back on I used a washer in the wrong place and it shimmed the alternator crooked so it was hitting one of the idler pulleys. I reshimmed it and now it's all nice and straight and makes no noise... I think...
aaronrus

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-06-2006 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronrusSend a Private Message to aaronrusDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GT:

Aaron-

I'm wondering if you've actually used a 4.9 alternator mounting bracket with an Allante lower intake. I have already tried it (earlier in this thread) and, at least with the parts I have, the bolt holes and mounting points don't match up. And I'm using a custom built alternator (earlier in this thread) that puts out 140 amps. It doesn't have any connections except the B+ connection. It goes directly to the battery. If the battery doesn't have sufficient charge the alternator won't turn on. BTW, did you ever do anything with those rare experimental rockers that your Allante engine came with?

-Rick

hey, i was not aware that a 4.9 bracket wouldnt bolt up, i only mention it because over several years now, ive known several guys who did it, without any problems, or any "reported" problems.. i still have those rockers and the whole valvetrain that came with it. i tested one of the springs a while back and they are significantly stiffer than stock 4.9L springs, i forget what the readings were now, because its been a while, ... like 120-130 with the valve closed, and 290-300 with the valve open... anyways, its still sitting in my garage, nothing has bene done with it, i recently got divorced and debt has taken up most of my extra time, i am trying to eliminate it all together so i have money to play with my toys...
motoracer838

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2006 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Direct Link to This Post
Bump
aaronrus

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-31-2006 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronrusSend a Private Message to aaronrusDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by motoracer838:

Bump

Bump!!!!!
GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2006 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTDirect Link to This Post
I finally got around to posting my Dyno sheet on my website. Just go to www.v8fiero.com and click on Dyno Results... or just go to http://www.v8fiero.com/dyno.JPG .

These were the numbers from back in May at Carlisle with pushrods that were too short. I've since used longer pushrods but I haven't dynoed it yet.

-Rick
hellbentkrusty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2006 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hellbentkrustySend a Private Message to hellbentkrustyDirect Link to This Post
hi guy dont mean to hijack..but
been looking for a number for the longer pushrods and dont want to order untill i can get confermation on the lengths
i had noted down a number several months ago and wondered if it seemed correct to you or anybody!!

thanx clynt

spacer
CCA-7823-1

$4.69
Estimated Ship Date: Tomorrow
overview Application Suggested Parts Warranty Show All
Brand: COMP Cams
Product Line: COMP Cams High Energy Pushrods
For Use with Guideplates: Yes
Tubing Diameter (in): 5/16 in.
Pushrod Material: Steel
Top Tip Style: Ball
Bottom Tip Style: Ball
Intake Overall Length (in): 7.700 in.
Exhaust Overall Length (in): 7.700 in.
Quantity: Sold individually.
One Piece Pushrod: No
Oiling: Yes
Tapered: No
Tip Attachment: Welded
Top Tip Diameter: 5/16 in.
Bottom Tip Diameter: 5/16 in.
Heat Treated: Yes

Pushrod, High Energy, Steel, 5/16 in. Diameter, 7.700 in. Length, Ball Ends, Hardened, Each
CCA-7823-1

$4.69
Estimated Ship Date: Tomorrow
overview Application Suggested Parts Warranty Show All
Brand: COMP Cams
Product Line: COMP Cams High Energy Pushrods
For Use with Guideplates: Yes
Tubing Diameter (in): 5/16 in.
Pushrod Material: Steel
Top Tip Style: Ball
Bottom Tip Style: Ball
Intake Overall Length (in): 7.700 in.
Exhaust Overall Length (in): 7.700 in.
Quantity: Sold individually.
One Piece Pushrod: No
Oiling: Yes
Tapered: No
Tip Attachment: Welded
Top Tip Diameter: 5/16 in.
Bottom Tip Diameter: 5/16 in.
Heat Treated: Yes

Pushrod, High Energy, Steel, 5/16 in. Diameter, 7.700 in. Length, Ball Ends, Hardened, Each
GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2006 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTDirect Link to This Post
Hi Clynt-

The part number for the pushrods was listed on page 6 of this thread. It is Competition Cams # CCA-7823-16. You can see it at: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=CCA%2D7823%2D16&N=700+115&autoview=sku . I think the specs are the same as the one you list, in fact I think it's the same pushrod but the number you list is for one pushrod. The number I list is for a set of 16. So yeah, the one you are looking at is the right one.

-Rick
hellbentkrusty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2006 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hellbentkrustySend a Private Message to hellbentkrustyDirect Link to This Post
thanx again
i think ive read every post re 4.9 in the last 6mo and coudnt locate it .
i thougt it was posted in regards to a dif build and i jotted the no on a pad and had no reference to go by.
do these rods give the lope also? as mine just seems to purr.
im sorry that i missed carlile this year as i wanted to see that beast in person !!
l8r clynt
PFF
System Bot
GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2006 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTDirect Link to This Post
No, longer pushrods will not increase performance with hydraulic lifters unless you have the wrong pushrods to begin with. The lope comes from cam timing and can't be produced by increasing the lift. I only used the longer pushrods because I had excess valvetrain noise, not as a performance modification.

Hopefully I'll be at Carlisle next May.

-Rick
chopper 69

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2006 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chopper 69Send a Private Message to chopper 69Direct Link to This Post
I might have missed it but what year Allante motor did you end up using? Did you use the whole motor, block and all or just the intake etc.
motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2006 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Direct Link to This Post
Rick youv'e got a PM. Joe
GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2006 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTDirect Link to This Post

I might have missed it but what year Allante motor did you end up using? Did you use the whole motor, block and all or just the intake etc.

I used a '92 Allante block, '92 4.9 crank, rods, and sleeves, '92 4.9 heads, Northstar pistons and rings, and all '92 Allante intake components. '91 and newer 4.5 blocks can be used with the 4.9 cranks without any mods. '90 and older 4.5 blocks need to have a little grinding done to get the 4.9 crank to turn without hitting.

I only used the 4.5 block because my 4.9 block turned out to be cracked.

-Rick
aaronrus

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-12-2006 01:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronrusSend a Private Message to aaronrusDirect Link to This Post
now the real question on my mind: what did you do about maximizing the tuning on your ecm? what with all the extra air coming into the engine, the higher lift camshaft, the allante intake, etc., the stock caddy program, even the superchips ecm for stock 4.9L's cannot be the most efficient program for that.. i would think some wide-band O2 sensor tuning is an order!
GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2006 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTDirect Link to This Post
Haven't done anything with the chip yet. I'm using the chip that Rockcrawl burned for me. He burned it anticipating the mods that I made to the engine. It definitely never goes lean according to the dyno A/F printout - and I'm using stock injectors. It could be tweaked a bit but honestly I hardly ever drive the car and it runs great as-is. I have to take it in for MD state emissions testing before the end of this month. As long as it passes, I'll be happy for now. I'd like to eventually drive it up to Rockcrawl's house and have him tune it, but it seems like he's preoccupied these days and I just don't have the time. One of these days...

-Rick
motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2006 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Direct Link to This Post
bump
GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2006 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTDirect Link to This Post
Bump...
motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2006 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by GT:

Bump...

Is that all you have to say?

When things go wrong,
don't follow them. Joe
kwagner

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2006 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by motoracer838:

Is that all you have to say?

That's what I was thinking! I see the thread starter posted to the thread, I think there's some new info. Isn't there some law against bumping your own thread without adding more info?
PFF
System Bot
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2006 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
Here's what I put down at the Dyno. I have some serious tuneing issues. I have worked a few of them out (wireing to the TPS and MAP sensors) and am wanting to get back to the dyno soon.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/062474.html
wiccantoy

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2006 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wiccantoySend a Private Message to wiccantoyDirect Link to This Post
pm sent

------------------

COMING SOON: 4.9 complete rebuild with buds outback northstar pistons , delta cams E303 cam , full ported , polished , and flow tested heads and manifolds. rockcrawl's custom chip
86 and 87 fiero database www.geocities.com/cwandall/fiero.html

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2006 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GT:
Got a couple of gotchas, like how to send a signal to the temp guage, and how to hook up the A/C. Anybody have any ideas?

http://theherd.com/articles/lt4_temp.html

Dual signal sensor that drives both gauge and ECM.
v8fiero400

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2007 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for v8fiero400Click Here to visit v8fiero400's HomePageSend a Private Message to v8fiero400Direct Link to This Post
Is it running yet?.... Great thread .... would be interesting to see what it does at the track.
GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2007 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTDirect Link to This Post
Hi all, sorry for the lack of attention. My car was running so rich I couldn't pass emissions so I just put classic tags on it and put a cover over it for the winter. I'll get back to it when the weather warms up some. I went out to try to drive it around the neighborhood a couple of weeks ago but it kept stalling and wouldn't restart unless I jiggled the fuel pump fuse a little. I think the fuse block needs some TLC so I'll add that to the list - it was 20 degrees outside so I just put the cover back on it and went inside.

Thanks FieroMaster88 for posting your dyno numbers. I got 234hp and 304tq in a completely untuned state so I don't feel so bad now. Have you gotten it to the dyno since you worked on the richness?

-Rick
ducattiman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2007 05:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ducattimanSend a Private Message to ducattimanDirect Link to This Post
BUMP
GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2007 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTDirect Link to This Post
Bump...

Found out that the stalling was from a loose computer connection. One of the ECM connectors backed out an eighth of an inch. I pushed it firmly back into place and it runs fine now.

GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2007 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTDirect Link to This Post
Bump to keep it out of the archives...
fieroboy_gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2007 07:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboy_gtSend a Private Message to fieroboy_gtDirect Link to This Post
does the car still run rich or was that all the ECM. What is the MPG. on this beast. did you ever find out what the vibration from the front end was. Would a new front end fix all that.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2007 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
The dyno figures look pretty decent. Just a bit less horsepower than a 3800SC but higher torque and you also have a lighter V8 engine. I am considering a 4.9L for the still unfinished convertible project but we will probably just leave it stock.
Last we spoke at Carlisle you were working on using a new chip program that would optimize power and improve the gas mileage. Did the new program work as expected? One thing we know for sure; you tend to tackle ambitious projects. You were one of the first to do the 3800SC swap ( see what you've started) and now one of the few to build a modified 4.9L.

------------------
87GT 3.4 Turbo- 0-60 5.2 seconds
2006 3800SC Series III swap in progress
Engine Controls, PCM goodies,
re-programming & odd electronics stuff
" I'M ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

PFF
System Bot
GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2007 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTDirect Link to This Post
Dennis, good to hear from you. I sent you an e-mail.
cowan1984

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2007 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cowan1984Click Here to visit cowan1984's HomePageSend a Private Message to cowan1984Direct Link to This Post
bump to add to favorites

edit: I'm an idiot....didnt see the "add to favorites" link. d'oh!

[This message has been edited by cowan1984 (edited 12-16-2007).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2008 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Any updates?
USFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2009 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroDirect Link to This Post
2009 bump???
DefEddie

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2009 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DefEddieSend a Private Message to DefEddieDirect Link to This Post
Mid year '09 bump

Sweet project.
I used to have a 96 eldo,those northstar engine's are so smooth and sweet I always wondered why people didn't mod them.
Got any links you can post up for cadillac specific internals and mods?
stickpony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2009 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stickponyClick Here to visit stickpony's HomePageSend a Private Message to stickponyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DefEddie:

Mid year '09 bump

Sweet project.
I used to have a 96 eldo,those northstar engine's are so smooth and sweet I always wondered why people didn't mod them.
Got any links you can post up for cadillac specific internals and mods?

This thread is about a 4.9L build-up, not a Northstar. but you are right, modding a northstar is sweet indeed
BluEyes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2009 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BluEyesSend a Private Message to BluEyesDirect Link to This Post
Bump. Curious if any tuning got done?

------------------
'88 Formula. 2800/automatic. Finally on the road!

The rest of the garage:
'92 LeBaron sedan: 3.0V6/5sp
'77 Camaro: 350/4sp
'71 Fiat Spider: 1800/5sp
'71 Mercedes 220D: 2.2L/4sp
'70 DeVille: 472ci/TH400
'62 DeVille: 390ci/Hydramatic Jetaway

stickpony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2009 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stickponyClick Here to visit stickpony's HomePageSend a Private Message to stickponyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BluEyes:

Bump. Curious if any tuning got done?

Nah, Rick sold his Fiero before he ever got a chance to tune it. i dont know who the new owner is...maybe he can chime in if he frequents the group?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock