Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Performance 4.9 Build-up Thread (Page 4)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
Previous Page | Next Page
Performance 4.9 Build-up Thread by GT
Started on: 04-08-2005 06:44 PM
Replies: 278
Last post by: stickpony on 12-19-2009 11:52 PM
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2005 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
Thats not too far off now. Sounds like it's coming along nicely.

I'm hopeing to get started on the headders in a couple weeks. It's been busy at work and this week I have an after work project of repairing broken exhaust manifold bolts and replacing an oil pan gasket on a 86GT. I have a few other plans for the 4.9, we'll see if I get to them this winter or not.

IP: Logged
GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2005 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTDirect Link to This Post

god damnit i want to see this engine in the car and see the dyno results!

he he... me too!

Happy new year all!

DC88fiero

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2006 04:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DC88fieroSend a Private Message to DC88fieroDirect Link to This Post
I can come over and we can put that motor in my car ( I know it's an automatic) and take it for a test drive LOL great work. Thanks for the tread.

Bill Horn

GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2006 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTDirect Link to This Post
Sure, OK, as long as you let me drive it every now and then.

How's your GT holding up BTW?

30+mpg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2006 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post

GT:...the valve has to be closed for ignition under full compression. So the intake valve is closed, the piston is up, and the gas is compressed at whatever, 10*BTDC-ish, for example. As the piston goes back down the exhaust valve opens. As the piston comes back up the intake begins to open and the exhaust valve closes, etc. I can't picture in my head any point along the line where the piston would be up and the intake valve would be at full lift...

Overlap. Exhaust stroke. Exhaust valve is open, piston is on its way up. BTDC, Intake opens to get momentum from out going exhaust gases. ATDC exhaust closes.

So, at TDC on exhaust, both valves are open. How far? Depends on timing, lift, how fast of lift. That's why some pistons have valve reliefs.

[This message has been edited by 30+mpg (edited 01-03-2006).]

GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2006 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTDirect Link to This Post
Ahhh, very good 30+. I have my oil filter boss at the plater's being chromed but when it comes back I'll prime my oil pump with a drill to pump up my lifters and turn the crank and see if anything hits.
ray b

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2006 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GT:

Ahhh, very good 30+. I have my oil filter boss at the plater's being chromed but when it comes back I'll prime my oil pump with a drill to pump up my lifters and turn the crank and see if anything hits.

some use a bit of clay or wax to check how much clearance there is between pistons and valves

------------------
Question wonder and be wierd
are you kind?

GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2006 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTDirect Link to This Post
I started my wiring harness last night. Since the 2.8 is batch fire (fires 2-4-6 and 1-3-5 instead of in a row) and the 4.9 is sequential I felt I may be short a few wires. So I added 8 extra fuel injector wires through the firewall grommit to give me enough to play with. I'll see if I can post pictures later and a methodology of how I'm going about this.

-Rick

Flyguyeddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2006 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyguyeddySend a Private Message to FlyguyeddyDirect Link to This Post
how do you plan on tuning that computer for more power?

i would wire them up bank fire, and run it on Megasquirt. tried and true.

------------------
Brandon Edmonds

1996 Taurus SHO (my baby)
1986 Fiero (to be my street rocket)
1977 yamaha xs750-2D (in pieces right now, doesnt appear that it will be done for summer, unfortunately)
1987 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (learners bike)

GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2006 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTDirect Link to This Post
Rockcrawl burned a chip that should get it running and then I'll probably drive it up to his place and we'll fine tune it there.
Flyguyeddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2006 03:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyguyeddySend a Private Message to FlyguyeddyDirect Link to This Post
ah, i TOTALLY forgot about him.

good show, carry on chap.

PFF
System Bot
aaronrus

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
User Banned

Report this Post01-25-2006 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronrusSend a Private Message to aaronrusDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GT:

I started my wiring harness last night. Since the 2.8 is batch fire (fires 2-4-6 and 1-3-5 instead of in a row) and the 4.9 is sequential I felt I may be short a few wires. So I added 8 extra fuel injector wires through the firewall grommit to give me enough to play with. I'll see if I can post pictures later and a methodology of how I'm going about this.

-Rick

i believe jon has complete wire conversion diagrams on his website..check it out

jessesmith121

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2006 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jessesmith121Send a Private Message to jessesmith121Direct Link to This Post
Are you using a 4.9 harness or the allante harness?
GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2006 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTDirect Link to This Post
I'm using the Allante sensor and TPI connectors with the Fiero engine harness (including C203,C500), connected to the ECM connectors for a Deville computer (GM #16132240).
GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2006 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTDirect Link to This Post
I got the engine mounted to the cradle today. I used PBJ's method of using a modified 2.8 front mount bracket and a poly trans mount for the front and Rodney Dickman's poly tranny mounts for the transmission:

[This message has been edited by GT (edited 02-04-2006).]

motoracer838

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2006 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Direct Link to This Post
Man that has got to be the coolest looking 4.9 any body has put together, I was just going to settle for an allante intake when I redo mine I can't wait for you to get it running. btw whos going to do the chip to accomodate your mods. Cheers Beers n Gears Joe
GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2006 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTDirect Link to This Post
he he... flyguyeddy just asked the same question seven posts ago...
4-mulaGT
From: Somewhere beetween raisin' hell... and saving grace. oh... and MN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2006 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4-mulaGTSend a Private Message to 4-mulaGTDirect Link to This Post
Wait?

Wont the side that says V8 PFI be on the inside?

Does this engine fit on an 88 frame w/o special mounts?

[This message has been edited by 4-mulaGT (edited 02-04-2006).]

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2006 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
Man that thing looks nice!

------------------
88 Coupe: Modded 4.9L V8 5 speed
http://www.geocities.com/fast88fiero

Haagster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2006 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HaagsterSend a Private Message to HaagsterDirect Link to This Post
Looks great Rick!! Another Carlisle or bust 4.9

------------------

Project Fiero GT 2M8 Update thread

[This message has been edited by Haagster (edited 02-04-2006).]

GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2006 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTDirect Link to This Post

Wait?

Yes, but the Allante intake covers the oil add hole. So I had to put that valve cover on the front side.

I don't know about how it mounts in an 88. Fieromaster88 has a 4.9 in his 88 but I don't know how he mounted it. Maybe he could tell us here so it's preserved for future use??

Man that thing looks nice!

Thanks. It seems like a shame to have to put it in a car. Too bad it won't fit on my motorcycle!

Looks great Rick!! Another Carlisle or bust 4.9

You said it!! Don, I can't believe I never saw your thread! Your car looks incredible. I'm glad I'm not in modified fastback, that's all I've gotta say! I mean my car is in good shape, but it looks basically stock other than a soon to be big honkin' V8 in there. You've gone the extra mile. Can't wait to see it.

-Rick

[This message has been edited by GT (edited 02-04-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2006 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by GT:

Rockcrawl burned a chip that should get it running and then I'll probably drive it up to his place and we'll fine tune it there.

Ah duh; I like completly missed that! more beer. Joe

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2006 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 4-mulaGT:

Wait?

Does this engine fit on an 88 frame w/o special mounts?

When I installed my 4.9 in my 88 I pretty much copied what Rockcrawl shows on his website. www.fieroaddiction.com When he's showing how he did his mounts he's useing an 88 cradle.

James

------------------
88 Coupe: Modded 4.9L V8 5 speed
http://www.geocities.com/fast88fiero

GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2006 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTDirect Link to This Post
I was feeling paternal today so took a couple of pictures of my four year old by the engine. He said he wanted to pose with his hand on "the button".

[This message has been edited by GT (edited 02-05-2006).]

motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2006 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Direct Link to This Post
bump
aaronrus

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
User Banned

Report this Post02-15-2006 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronrusSend a Private Message to aaronrusDirect Link to This Post
the ONLY thing i would have dont differently than GT is use the MAXIMUM cam grind possible, even though it requires slight mods to the valvetrain, which GT already had invested in anyways.. hell still get great power with the .480 lift cam, but it would have been nice to have a .500 lift cam or better in there, which is possible, rockcrawl and a few others have done it...anyways.. i cant wait to see the dyno results with those larger valves..
motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2006 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Direct Link to This Post
We are realy dying to see this run. Joe
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2006 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by motoracer838:

Any year now.....

GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2006 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTDirect Link to This Post

Me too!!

The only thing holding it up right now is the temperature outside. I've got to detail the engine compartment before I slap that puppy up in there. The car's outside and I have to remove one of the rear cradle bolts that broke off in the frame. I'm thinking of cutting the bolt flush with the frame and then drilling out the remainder of the bolt. Does that sound like a reasonable idea to anyone?

Also, I went out yesterday and looked at my accelerator cable and it looks like the end has the right connector on it to fit on the Allante TB. So I won't have to change out my accelerator cable - YAY! I can start putting my interior back together.

I rebuilt my headlight motors with Rodney Dickman's parts last night.

The interior has developed a MAJOR leak. I went outside to get my steering column and found two inches of water on the driver's side floor. I'll have to figure that one out soon. The entire sunroof assembly has all new parts so I'm not sure where the leak is coming from...

I need a new manual tranny radiator and I may need to uncrimp the metal coolant tubes that run under the car. Some jack**s jacked it up before I owned it and crimped the tubes a little. The V6 ran OK like that but I'm not sure the V8 will appreciate it. We'll see. I may just plug the A/T line holes in the radiator for now and see what happens. But ultimately I'd like to save a little weight and clean up the appearance by putting in the manual tranny radiator. Plus, the car's 21 years old and wasn't well maintained previously.

GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2006 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTDirect Link to This Post

GT

911 posts
Member since May 2003
Here's my interior after stripping the carpet:

linenoise

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2006 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for linenoiseClick Here to visit linenoise's HomePageSend a Private Message to linenoiseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMaster88:

Any year now.....

No this year damn it

PFF
System Bot
2-tone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2006 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2-toneSend a Private Message to 2-toneDirect Link to This Post
Best to use a V-6 radiator with air. they have a larger core and one of the tanks is a little larger. can splice a piece of coolant tube with a piece of hose. done that. one of my coolant tubes were in real bad shape so i cut out a piece of coolant tube out of an older fiero and still worked good just get the bends to run the right way.

------------------
88 coupe 4.9 Izusu 5-speed Rockcrawl chip. True duels.No A/C .KYB GR-2 on all 4 corners Built to run.

GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2006 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTDirect Link to This Post
Thanks 2-tone. That's what I have. I called Radiator.com today and found out that they only have two versions of the same radiator for the V6 Fiero and the one for the manual tranny car just has the A/T lines capped. So I'll just keep the one I have for now.

Anyone know of a GOOD set of aftermarket carpets with the driver side vinyl pads?

[This message has been edited by GT (edited 02-16-2006).]

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2006 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
I have black aftermarket carpet from ACC. (Auto custom carpets). I cant remember how much it cost. It has the vinyl pad underneath the pedals but does not have one in the "dead pedal" spot (hump next to the pedals). The carpet was a direct replacement and I'm happy with it.

Forgot to add, I'm going to be getting my car on a dyno soon. I'm curious to see how much power was added by the Allante intake, ported heads and delta camshaft. I've got to get the nitrous bottle filled and the jets for a 100hp shot set too. We're going to have another 88GT there with a stock 4.9 5 speed hopefully so we can see what a stock 4.9 puts down. I'm pretty excited about it. Now if this damn snow would just go away so I can drive it there.......

[This message has been edited by FieroMaster88 (edited 02-17-2006).]

GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2006 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the heads up FM88. I was trying to remember the company that you got yours from but couldn't remember the name. I looked at their website and it says about $240 for Fiero carpet. I loked at the Fiero Store and they have 4 colors (inlcuding black) and it supposedly has all of the vinyl pads and the sound deadening material included for $160 delivered. So I went with that. I figured out where the leak was coming from. When I installed the clutch master slave I didn't reinstall the rubber hose that connects the cowl to the bottom of the spare tire well. So water was coming in the cowl, dripping on the firewall down on the master cylinder and leaking in between the clutch MC and the firewall. I put the hose back on and siliconed it nice and tight. Hopefully that ought to keep it dry in there for my new carpet.

I'm really interested in hearing the results of your dyno run. I hope you're able to get a run in without nitrous. And when you get the results could you please post it here on this thread? I plan on posting my dyno numbers from Carlisle this year if I can get the thing running right.

Thanks again.

Aaron- I was trying to remember why I went with the lower lift cam. It took a while to remember but I believe at the beginning of this build I wanted a simple upgrade where I wouldn't have to get new pushrods. So I went with the simple drop in cam and the 1.6:1 factory rockers. Plus PBJ told me that he had had some trouble with premature valvetrain wear using the high lift cam. But I look at it this way... if I find that it just doesn't have enough power (shah!) I'll have alternatives to get me there. Like Bud's 1.7:1 drop in roller rockers and the biggest cam Delta makes - PLUS new pushrods!

GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2006 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTDirect Link to This Post
Here's something that you don't read about every day. I've been obsessing over this swap for a year now and I've never heard this before, so here goes...

I finally got the oil filter valve assembly doodad thing clear coated. I had test fitted it before I put the Getrag on and it fit fine. So I went to put it on and found out that the Getrag has a big square chunk of aluminum right in the way for no apparent reason at all- I'm sure it helps the 2.8 somehow, but that's of very little interest to me. So I have to cut the square chunk off before I can put the oil filter thing on. Not a big deal, I had just never heard of this. I have two spare EYE-suzus in the garage and neither one of them have the square casting on them. All I can figure is that most 4.9 guys who have documented this swap used Isuzus and never ran into this Getrag specific thing.

motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2006 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Direct Link to This Post
Hey GT that lump of aluminum Looks like a hold down point for machining during manufacturing, Off with it's head, Lookin' good keep it up. Joe
GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2006 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTDirect Link to This Post
...Off with it's head...

crzyone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2006 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
I had to do the same thing for my N*. That tab would hit the bottom of my waterlog and prevent the trani from fitting on the engine. I cut it off as well.
Haagster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2006 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HaagsterSend a Private Message to HaagsterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GT:
...Off with it's head...

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock