big bad duke by mrossum
Started on: 06-12-2002 07:57 PM
Replies: 216
Last post by: katore8105 on 03-06-2010 12:58 PM
NeoTristan

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2007 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NeoTristanClick Here to visit NeoTristan's HomePageSend a Private Message to NeoTristanDirect Link to This Post
GO for it dude! I'm behind you as i am beefing my duke as well!

------------------
Tristan
84 Fiero SE

IP: Logged
Fierology

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2008 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierologySend a Private Message to FierologyDirect Link to This Post
Excuse my ignorance. What's SD?

-Michael

------------------
"A guy know's he's in love when he loses interest in his car for a few days." -Tim Allen

Mr.PBody

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2008 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
SUPER DUTY, its the upgraded racing motor from pontiac, its a super strong 4 cylinder (SD4). There was an SD6 but thats a different story.
Fierology

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2008 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierologySend a Private Message to FierologyDirect Link to This Post
awesome. thanks. I'd heard of the Super Duty but I didn't make the connection. I understand there's more than one kind of duke, but is there some thread that explains them and their history and compatability? Or I can just have you guys tell me it all I'm hoping to rebuild my '84 duke within the next few years so I'm trying to learn all I can before I do. Can you rebuild a regular Duke completely w/ SD parts? And who sells them?

-Michael
The_Stickman2

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2008 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The_Stickman2Click Here to visit The_Stickman2's HomePageSend a Private Message to The_Stickman2Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierology:

awesome. thanks. I'd heard of the Super Duty but I didn't make the connection. I understand there's more than one kind of duke, but is there some thread that explains them and their history and compatability? Or I can just have you guys tell me it all I'm hoping to rebuild my '84 duke within the next few years so I'm trying to learn all I can before I do. Can you rebuild a regular Duke completely w/ SD parts? And who sells them?

-Michael

Michael, go to my site and you will see my Super Duty parts and link and other pages. All parts can interchange between Duke and Super Duty.

------------------
My sites
http://the-stickman.tripod.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheStickman

USFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2008 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroDirect Link to This Post
<------------------------------ Somebody had to BUMP this thread
84FieroVT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2008 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84FieroVTSend a Private Message to 84FieroVTDirect Link to This Post
yes someone did have to bump this thread because my duke is completely in pieces and it would be cool to get a few extra horses out of it. So, from the people who have done so, what is the best and reasonably priced heads and shafts etc to use without doing much modification to anything else?
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2008 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
While I find this post very interesting I remain skeptical that a Duke can be modified to make Horsepower and stay together. I hope that you prove me wrong but I say the top level of power than a Duke engine can hold is about 125HP.

------------------
87GT - 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's 4T65eHD
87GT - 3.4L Turbocharged engine, modified TH125H
" I'M ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

AquaHusky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2008 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AquaHuskySend a Private Message to AquaHuskyDirect Link to This Post
I'm willing to bet cash that if you destroke a Duke to under 2 litres, you could get some decent mods done to it. I read in a tech article that a 4 banger that displaces anything over 2.0 L makes a secondary vibration, as been stated numerous times here. And that vibe causes twisting forces on the crank. So, destroke it and maybe get rid of the 2ndary forces acting on the crank, then try to turbo the beast! YEAH!!

That's my thought, not fact.
linuxpowered88

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2008 04:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for linuxpowered88Send a Private Message to linuxpowered88Direct Link to This Post
super duty's came all the way up to 3.2 liters and made lots of power. of course it shares little with the duke. but it is still a 4 banger
pswayne

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2008 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pswayneSend a Private Message to pswayneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AquaHusky:

II read in a tech article that a 4 banger that displaces anything over 2.0 L makes a secondary vibration, as been stated numerous times here. And that vibe causes twisting forces on the crank.

That's my thought, not fact.

And that's why they put counter-balance shafts on 88 dukes. Maybe you can get more than 125hp if you start with an 88 duke.
PFF
System Bot
84FieroVT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2008 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84FieroVTSend a Private Message to 84FieroVTDirect Link to This Post
So if you replace the shafts in a pre-88 wouldn't that produce the same result? would I have to make sure it is balanced?
linuxpowered88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2008 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for linuxpowered88Send a Private Message to linuxpowered88Direct Link to This Post
Maybe so but 88 cranks don't have provisions for a distributor but a crank sensor instead. Id think it would be far easier to start with an 88. Might working in an 87 but still lots of work.
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2009 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXDirect Link to This Post
BUMP to mrossum for update on the new 87 coupe.
TopNotch

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2009 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post
Iron Duke Resource site.
Kansas Racing Products, source of SD4 clone engines and parts.
gtxbullet

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2009 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtxbulletSend a Private Message to gtxbulletDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by vortecfiero:

I think i recall the race superduty injected 2.7 engines in the IMSA Dole Huffaker fieros making 275 hp at 6000 RPM
for about 30 hrs then rebuild time. On a side note I know someone in Toronto that has two of them, never been run..
Kinser injection and all. They were a SD dealership's display engines and they were almost complete.
*Grins soooo evily (no not me... yet ?)

yes but the IMSA Engines are dual overhead cammed. a guy was selling the head and all parts minus the block for $2500 about 3 weeks ago. I was half tempted but instead I bought yet another fiero for about $1000 that ran and drove just fine as a spare.
I draw the line at a single performance upgrade costing more that a duplicate car.
however any Fiero with an Iron Duke in it that can stay with a v8 or swap car would be worth every penny. as long as parts are easy to come by.

Also to add, my condolences on your loss man, if that happened to my Duke I'd be crying like a little kid who lost their bright red ballon that he got from that nice man at the Fair ;-(

------------------
1987 Fiero Auto Base Coupe 56k Original Miles
1988 FIERO Coupe "IRON DUKE" 5-Speed (the show car ;-)
1992 Firebird T-Tops V-8 24k original Florida miles(collectors car)

katore8105

Feedback score:    (28)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2010 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katore8105Click Here to visit katore8105's HomePageSend a Private Message to katore8105Direct Link to This Post
Yet another great thread being added to my favorites! Thanks guys!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock