big bad duke by mrossum
Started on: 06-12-2002 07:57 PM
Replies: 216
Last post by: katore8105 on 03-06-2010 12:58 PM
fieroturbo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2004 02:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post
For injection, why not make an adaptor plate for a 4.3 V6 TBI? Twin Injectors, twin butterfly's.... savvy??? The overcompensation could allow you to do dry NOS (which is safer).

Also, I think you may need new ECM programming for the 3.0L. May I recommend the ECM unit from west coast fiero's, or a Greddy E-manage. The greddy would probabbly work best, but I beleive the WCF is easier to install, as it is sorta made for Fiero's.

For the valves, why not get Del West Titanium valves??? They have them at the maximum diameter that the Fiero can support, which is like 2.08" or 2.02" or something like that.

------------------
Airman Michael C Casaceli
Patrol Squadron Ten, United States Navy
1988 Pontiac Fiero 2.5L, soon to be 2.2L Ecotec Turbo (THE PROJECT HAS STARTED!!!)
1988 Oldsmobile Firenza 2.0L non-turbo (R.I.P.my beloved J-body. KIA by a Ford)
1994 Chevy S-10 4.3, it's finally here, and it is gorgeous!

IP: Logged
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2004 03:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroDirect Link to This Post
The non-SD heads can only take around 1.80" valves at maximum.

Here's something I've posted in a few threads:

If you squint, you can see the numbers.

[This message has been edited by FastIndyFiero (edited 03-06-2004).]

mrossum

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2004 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrossumSend a Private Message to mrossumDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroturbo:

For injection, why not make an adaptor plate for a 4.3 V6 TBI? Twin Injectors, twin butterfly's.... savvy??? The overcompensation could allow you to do dry NOS (which is safer).

Also, I think you may need new ECM programming for the 3.0L. May I recommend the ECM unit from west coast fiero's, or a Greddy E-manage. The greddy would probabbly work best, but I beleive the WCF is easier to install, as it is sorta made for Fiero's.

For the valves, why not get Del West Titanium valves??? They have them at the maximum diameter that the Fiero can support, which is like 2.08" or 2.02" or something like that.

have an adapter for a 5.0/5.7 tbi already made. will be using it in between smog checks.

the dyno shop in santee, ca is giong to be doing my programming. will program 2 different brains. 1 for 2.5 tbi, and 1 for 5.0 tbi.

like the small valves for the bottom end. this motor should work real well from idle right up to 6000 redline.

almost have daughters playhouse done. will be nice to get back to working on this monster. want to take it to buttonwillo for open day at the track this year.

------------------
86 econo coupe-ground stompin' stroker 4 cyl, 88 rear cradle, koni's with coil overs, lowered 3 inches, mr2 spoiler on decklid. e-mail ossum1@hotmail.com

NY_FIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2004 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NY_FIEROClick Here to visit NY_FIERO's HomePageSend a Private Message to NY_FIERODirect Link to This Post
BUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mrossum

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2004 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrossumSend a Private Message to mrossumDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Slammed Fiero:

This was 9 months ago so where are these promised numbers and also did you win that race and what was it against???

JM

race was with sentra s.e.r. beat him handily.

now for update. daughter's playhouse finally done. back to work on monster. had to convert to 87-8 style pulleys and brackets for intake to clear everything. should be able to go to dyno shop for programming sometime this month. hopefully will be daily driver in next few weeks. will dirve it with stock struts till money is available for shortening koni's. this homeowner thing is taking its toll on projects. such as life............................................

------------------
86 econo coupe-ground stompin' stroker 4 cyl, 88 rear cradle, koni's with coil overs, lowered 3 inches, mr2 spoiler on decklid. e-mail ossum1@hotmail.com

ImmortalFirefly

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2004 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ImmortalFireflyClick Here to visit ImmortalFirefly's HomePageSend a Private Message to ImmortalFireflyDirect Link to This Post
Long live the duke man.......I like what you're doing with it so keep up the good work amigo.

Austin

------------------

Practice makes perfect, but since nobody's perfect, why practice?
If life gives you lemons, take them and throw them at people you hate.

Flyguyeddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2004 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyguyeddySend a Private Message to FlyguyeddyDirect Link to This Post
what is the crankshaft part number and how much has to be machined off of the flywheel side?

plus a bump..

mrossum

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2004 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrossumSend a Private Message to mrossumDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Flyguyeddy:

what is the crankshaft part number and how much has to be machined off of the flywheel side?

plus a bump..

didn't record casting number like i should have. dummy me. .750" was machined off end of crank to make flywheel come in at right spot.

------------------

Flyguyeddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2004 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyguyeddySend a Private Message to FlyguyeddyDirect Link to This Post
you had to machine 3/4 of an inch of the crank to get it to work!?!?! damn! can anyone come up with the number needed?
mrossum

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2004 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrossumSend a Private Message to mrossumDirect Link to This Post

you had to machine 3/4 of an inch of the crank to get it to work!?!?! damn! can anyone come up with the number needed?

keep in mind, once i machined off the back of crank, i had to have a flywheel made for it. also had to drill and tap the end of crank for new bolt pattern. crank casting number can be any of the following: 3788522, 3793082, or 5743014. this is a 3.25 inch stroke crank out of 62-70 nova with 153 engine.

------------------

Flyguyeddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2004 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyguyeddySend a Private Message to FlyguyeddyDirect Link to This Post
what about using a flexplate for an automatic? would that work too? (stock flexplate, that is)
PFF
System Bot
fieroman87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2004 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroman87Send a Private Message to fieroman87Direct Link to This Post

what about using a flexplate for an automatic? would that work too? (stock flexplate, that is)

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO, not if it's a manual. a flexplate would just blow itself to pieces (i.e. not strong enough)

Flyguyeddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2004 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyguyeddySend a Private Message to FlyguyeddyDirect Link to This Post
ok, let me rephrase that, what about using a stock 2.5 flexplate for an automatic WITH the auto tranny. i know better than to use a clutch on a flexplate... jeesh
mrossum

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2004 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrossumSend a Private Message to mrossumDirect Link to This Post

ok, let me rephrase that, what about using a stock 2.5 flexplate for an automatic WITH the auto tranny. i know better than to use a clutch on a flexplate... jeesh

you would still have to have a flexplate made. the area that the flexplate/flywheel bolts to, after the machine work, is physically smaller than the hole in the flywheel.

------------------

USFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2004 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroDirect Link to This Post

problem is there have been some people out there who would consider it...

FieroGTT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2004 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTTClick Here to visit FieroGTT's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTTDirect Link to This Post
Interesting thread......any dyno numbers or track times yet?

[This message has been edited by FieroGTT (edited 05-07-2004).]

Fierotaz

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2004 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierotazSend a Private Message to FierotazDirect Link to This Post
Bump...Looking for Dyno numbers....
mrossum

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2004 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrossumSend a Private Message to mrossumDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierotaz:

Bump...Looking for Dyno numbers....

seems like my house has a thing against me working on my car. have not touched car in a month. still have not changed over to 87-8 style pulleys and accessories. will get there soon. please be patient.

------------------

Zaptoman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2004 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZaptomanSend a Private Message to ZaptomanDirect Link to This Post
*bump*
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2004 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
mrossum

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2004 01:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrossumSend a Private Message to mrossumDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oreif:

SD4 Aluminum head on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33617&item=2480663909

seller is only a few miles from me. maybe i can get this monster for my beast. thanx for the link.....

------------------

PFF
System Bot
mrossum

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2004 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrossumSend a Private Message to mrossumDirect Link to This Post
this car is no longer. took it apart to finance some projects around the house. really bummed that i couldn't get it finished. such as life. still have my 88. good luck to all who have been or might be inspired by my effort.......................
Flyguyeddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2004 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyguyeddySend a Private Message to FlyguyeddyDirect Link to This Post
i want the crank. how much?
mrossum

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2004 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrossumSend a Private Message to mrossumDirect Link to This Post

i want the crank. how much?

have to keep crank and aluminum flywheel together. they were machined together and won't fit anything else. e-mail if interested. i also have marine crank with 3.600" stroke!!!

The Punisher

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 433
User Banned

Report this Post07-30-2004 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The PunisherSend a Private Message to The PunisherDirect Link to This Post
The big bad duke never was and never shall be. Hype

------------------
JM / SH

mrossum

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2004 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrossumSend a Private Message to mrossumDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by The Punisher:

The big bad duke never was and never shall be. Hype

why would you want to start a flame war here???

donk316

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
User Banned

Report this Post07-30-2004 01:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donk316Send a Private Message to donk316Direct Link to This Post
Yeah I concur.
What a bunch of shizzle!
Over a YEAR and not one dyno run or pic.
Couldnt find a friend to scan a polaroid or something??
I built an "all out" duke about 7 years ago with every aftermarket part availavble except for SD parts.

Holley TBI and intake. Ported flowed head. 10 to 1 compression. Header and good free flowing exhaust. Msd. Comp Cam. BBC roller rockers.

Engine dyno'd at 150hp. What a waste.

[This message has been edited by donk316 (edited 07-30-2004).]

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2004 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Donk, was that 150HP at the wheels or the crank? Either way that is an impressive gain over the stock Duke output or even a stock V6.

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 07-30-2004).]

KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2004 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by donk316:

I built an "all out" duke about 7 years ago with every aftermarket part availavble except for SD parts.

Holley TBI and intake. Ported flowed head. 10 to 1 compression. Header and good free flowing exhaust. Msd. Comp Cam. BBC roller rockers.

No not really. That would be the equivalent of a 300 hp 5.0, which is respectable considering the level of mods performed (not even a SD head) The stock head can't really do too much. What did you do for engine management electronics? Stock ECM?

donk316

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
User Banned

Report this Post07-31-2004 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donk316Send a Private Message to donk316Direct Link to This Post
Crank and stock ECM.

My point is, after spending 3000ish CDN for 150hp I could have <at the time> swapped in a really healthy 2.8

mrossum

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2004 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrossumSend a Private Message to mrossumDirect Link to This Post

Crank and stock ECM.

My point is, after spending 3000ish CDN for 150hp I could have <at the time> swapped in a really healthy 2.8

that isn't the point when i started this project. different was the key. i'm not into conforming. i spent enough money on this project to buy a new mustang, but i wanted something that no one else had. unfortunately, i ran out of time and money to finish it.maybe someday i'll try it again. still have the motor...............................

PFF
System Bot
jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2004 06:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post
mrossum

Thank you for allowing all of us here to live and dream vicariously through your big bad duke thread. This has been captivating to say the least. The thought of having a pavement pounding 4 cylinder is the realm of fantasy. Actually driving it, abet shortly, is a stout achievement.
It is a sad day to hear that the project has ended.
I have all the admiration in the world for you for your effort.
You have walked where no one has dreamed, you should be proud.
Perhaps someday the torch will be picked up again, I will be looking for you in that light.

Best wishes
jet

------------------
jetman
Silver 86 SE 2M6 4-speed, with "check wallet light" and "a good nights sleep"

fierodog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2004 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodogSend a Private Message to fierodogDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jetman:

mrossum

Thank you for allowing all of us here to live and dream vicariously through your big bad duke thread. This has been captivating to say the least. The thought of having a pavement pounding 4 cylinder is the realm of fantasy. Actually driving it, abet shortly, is a stout achievement.
It is a sad day to hear that the project has ended.
I have all the admiration in the world for you for your effort.
You have walked where no one has dreamed, you should be proud.
Perhaps someday the torch will be picked up again, I will be looking for you in that light.

Best wishes
jet

I agree nice job man!! hopefully you can finish someday and have something everyone else can just dream about!

mrossum

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2004 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrossumSend a Private Message to mrossumDirect Link to This Post

Yeah I concur.
What a bunch of shizzle!
Over a YEAR and not one dyno run or pic.
Couldnt find a friend to scan a polaroid or something??

this project was never about showing it off. it was about having something that no one else had. didn't get the opportunity to get it running well enough (computer controls) to take it to the dyno shop. believe me, i am very disappointed over not being able to complete this project. the car is long gone, but the engine and trans is still intact in my garage. maybe someday will be able to get it finished in another car. in the mean time, maybe someone else can use this info to make a truly ground stompin stroker 4 cyl motor that they can refine enough to run in a daily driver. ........................

zMacK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2004 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zMacKSend a Private Message to zMacKDirect Link to This Post
You dont have one picture?
Sorry no dis, but the

flag isnt leavin tell we see soemthing.

jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2004 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post
I still say that this was a monumental achievement. Something different, something that nobody has or even really thought about.

[This message has been edited by jetman (edited 08-28-2004).]

mrossum

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2004 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrossumSend a Private Message to mrossumDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zMacK:

You dont have one picture?
Sorry no dis, but the

flag isnt leavin tell we see soemthing.

if you want to see this engine, by all means, come on over and i'll pull oil pan, side cover and valve cover for you to see. otherwise, let the bs flag leave.

timwdegner

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2004 04:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for timwdegnerSend a Private Message to timwdegnerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrossum:

if you want to see this engine, by all means, come on over and i'll pull oil pan, side cover and valve cover for you to see. otherwise, let the bs flag leave.

Wow, helluva thread!

All this naysaying makes me want to beg you to finish the job!!! Prove the duke-haters wrong.

I love my Duke - it's peppy enough to leave a little rubber on the road (at least now with a Borla exhaust it is) and the fuel economy is outstanding. A solid engine that's great for daily driving is what I need, and that's what I've got. Couldn't be happier.

And if I made any changes, I wouldn't go for more power - I'd go for better fuel economy.

Voided

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2004 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VoidedSend a Private Message to VoidedDirect Link to This Post
Finish What Job?

I'm calling

There's no proof, and no pictures, and no one but the so called builder has talked about, or seen it.

if that's the case I've got a 500 horse forged bottom end 3.4 DOHC on 20 pounds of boost from a GTS 25 Turbo in my Widebody fiero with the side intercooler with a modifed radiator fan convecting More air into the vent, while a fan in the engine compartment helps draw the air behind the cooler, and the engine compartment hot air, out.

Sounds beautiful, but it's Thank you all, for playing along.

I'm not trying to flame, but it's the facts, NOTHING is truely documented in a factual sense here.

(edit real ending to my statement)

Despite what you'd wish to believe it's been tried time and again, and your duke is what it is, if you try and change it, it fails. they're Not good performance motors, ask any shop, ask any motor builder, ask anyone that's ran the crap out of a duke for a little while. they just aren't It.

good economy solution at the time, no more, no less.

[This message has been edited by Voided (edited 09-03-2004).]

alienfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2004 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alienfieroSend a Private Message to alienfieroDirect Link to This Post
Pontiac use to make a duel over head cam conversion for the iron duke. And a magnesium block also.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock