Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  fed up! I'm going to paint her myself (Page 4)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
fed up! I'm going to paint her myself by bmwguru
Started on: 06-02-2007 11:25 AM
Replies: 171
Last post by: Lou6t4gto on 04-20-2009 01:11 AM
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2008 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
FINISHED PICS.......

IP: Logged
GKDINC

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2008 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GKDINCSend a Private Message to GKDINCDirect Link to This Post
Looks sharp, i like it.
Good Luck
Gary
Fieronum6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2008 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fieronum6Send a Private Message to Fieronum6Direct Link to This Post
where did you get those luvers can i have them? for a price of course
88White3.4GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2008 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88White3.4GTSend a Private Message to 88White3.4GTDirect Link to This Post
Cool color combination. Nice to see something painted differently.
Will-Martin

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2008 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Will-MartinClick Here to visit Will-Martin's HomePageSend a Private Message to Will-MartinDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bmwguru:

FINISHED PICS.......

DAMN, that thing is gorgeous!!
Saxman

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2008 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
SWEET! PM sent, Dave-
topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2008 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
Very nice. I saw a pick up painted in the same color scheme yesterday. I immediately thougt of your car.

Mine is in the shop for paint and will be ready to pick up this weekend. I stopped off after work and looked at it... It looks like a different car.

Bradester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2008 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BradesterSend a Private Message to BradesterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by anonymity:

UGLY!!!!! IMO the color combo only looks good for Halloween, nothing else. Paint quality may be damn near perfect, but I happen to think it's gay.

Joey

Well that's rather mean to say....

------------------
-Brady

Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2008 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bradester:

That's his wife. She has free reign!!
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2008 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Very nice! Would like it a tad lower but that is just me

------------------

Red: TPI V8 + 6-Speed Yellow: Nitrous 3.4 + 4 speed Auto
304rwHP/366rwTQ

Bnemo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2008 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BnemoSend a Private Message to BnemoDirect Link to This Post
Bmwguru,
GREAT JOB! I just joined the forum so this is probably kinda late in coming, but here is an awesome forum to find out anything and everything about custom painting. I never painted anything with a gun before and I tackled a custom body kit and paint job on my Grand Am. These guys were crucial to my 'success'. Here the forum
http://www.custompaintforum.com/
Here's a photo gallery of the whole process with finished pics at the end.. Now I'll have the courage to paint the Fiero I recently acquired (which needs it desperately)
http://s262.photobucket.com...98/bnemo/Grand%20Am/
Again...GREAT JOB!
PFF
System Bot
anonymity

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2008 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for anonymityClick Here to visit anonymity's HomePageSend a Private Message to anonymityDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Saxman:

That's his wife. She has free reign!!

Thank you, Saxman!

Joey
anonymity

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2008 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for anonymityClick Here to visit anonymity's HomePageSend a Private Message to anonymityDirect Link to This Post

anonymity

355 posts
Member since Jul 2007

Originally posted by Bradester:

Yeah, I guess it is kind of "mean", but if memory serves me right, I've said a lot of "mean" things about his car.

In all honesty, the paint turned out great, the way they followed the contour of the body makes the car look great. I don't like the colors chosen, and I will probably always refer to it as "the gay orange fiero" but....

it's not my car, I don't have to like it.....

as long as my husband (bmwguru) is happy...... I'm happy

Joey

P.S. A WARM WELCOME HOME TO THE GAY ORANGE FIERO!!!
Fierology

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2008 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierologySend a Private Message to FierologyDirect Link to This Post
Joey, what color's the VR6? ...or what's it gonna be?

-Michael

------------------
"A guy know's he's in love when he loses interest in his car for a few days." -Tim Allen

Check out my restoration!

Richjk21

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2008 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Richjk21Send a Private Message to Richjk21Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by anonymity:

Yeah, I guess it is kind of "mean", but if memory serves me right, I've said a lot of "mean" things about his car.

In all honesty, the paint turned out great, the way they followed the contour of the body makes the car look great. I don't like the colors chosen, and I will probably always refer to it as "the gay orange fiero" but....

it's not my car, I don't have to like it.....

as long as my husband (bmwguru) is happy...... I'm happy

Joey

P.S. A WARM WELCOME HOME TO THE GAY ORANGE FIERO!!!

Hmmm....... Gay Orange Fiero ... would that be GOF CART for short
Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2008 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post
That looks great!

Needs some lowering ;-)
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2008 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
Dave, it came out really great.
The black roof and pillars totally remind me of the MINI. Can't go wrong there.

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2008 01:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

Austrian Import

3919 posts
Member since Feb 2007

Originally posted by Bnemo:

Bmwguru,
GREAT JOB! I just joined the forum so this is probably kinda late in coming, but here is an awesome forum to find out anything and everything about custom painting. I never painted anything with a gun before and I tackled a custom body kit and paint job on my Grand Am. These guys were crucial to my 'success'. Here the forum
http://www.custompaintforum.com/
Here's a photo gallery of the whole process with finished pics at the end.. Now I'll have the courage to paint the Fiero I recently acquired (which needs it desperately)
http://s262.photobucket.com...98/bnemo/Grand%20Am/
Again...GREAT JOB!

Thanks for posting these. They'll come in handy.

Welcome to the forum.
ktthecarguy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 167
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2008 03:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ktthecarguyClick Here to visit ktthecarguy's HomePageSend a Private Message to ktthecarguyDirect Link to This Post
Hi there Bmwguru,
Great paint job, and I like the scheme! If I could make one suggestion, have you thought about adding vinyl tape stripes along the paint separation line? Just to jazz it up a bit. I am thinking of something like the late 1970's Camaro Rally Sport cars, similar paint scheme - black roof and hood, different color body, and multi-color tape stripes along the border. Just a thought.

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2008 06:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for compliments. As for the lowering, it is lowered 1.5" in the front using suspension techniques lowering springs. The rear has coil overs. I left the rear a little high on purpose for three reasons. The first is that I am running a 245/40ZR18 on the back, but I am planning on going a little taller to a 255/40ZR18. It will fill the wheel well a little better. Second, the car squats hard with the torque of the V8. I don't want anything to rub....it comes close now. Third, my wife VR6 car is lowered more than this one and it is a pain in the butt to get on the lift and trailer. This car will see the trailer quite a bit.
The pinstriping, I just don't like the look of tape on a car. It is just a personal preference.
Also, the car may look a little high because the suspension hadn't settled yet. I just took it off the lift and rolled it outside the shop for pics.
As for Joey's car, she is going to have it painted silver....that's as much as I can say right now about that.
Dave

------------------

1987 GT (my toy-see above), 1987 GT (wife's toy), 1986 SE soon to be VR6, certified master technician/shop owner
www.njautobahn.com

[This message has been edited by bmwguru (edited 03-07-2008).]

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2008 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post

bmwguru

4692 posts
Member since Sep 2006
baby got some new hats today. The larger air filters were rubbing the hood, so smaller is better...

here is one showing the carbs with the air horns removed and no filters.

PFF
System Bot
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2008 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bmwguru: As for Joey's car, she is going to have it painted silver....that's as much as I can say right now about that.

OK - that's enough of a teaser for me! Let us know when you have a plan...
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2008 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post
Drive your car to the local Harley D dealer or the assembly plant on Eden Road in York, PA. They might give you some free stuff for painting your car the company colors.

[This message has been edited by 30+mpg (edited 03-07-2008).]

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2008 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 30+mpg:

Drive your car to the local Harley D dealer or the assembly plant on Eden Road in York, PA. They might give you some free stuff for painting your car the company colors.

lol. I'd love to get a hog, but I'd probably kill myself riding it in NJ.
The only problem with the pics on the forum is the orange doesn't photograph its exact shade. It is a pearlized orange that looks different in various lighting. A few members have seen it posted here and then saw it in person and were blown away by it in person. I still can't keep my eyes off it while working on customer's cars.
The design was my idea and the body shop transposed my ideas into reality. I could have never accomplished this. They told me that they thought the car was going to be ugly (my wife thought so too), but even the body shop was surprised of how it came out. I had an idea of how I wanted it and step by step it came out exactly as I had wanted.
Dave

buds

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2008 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for budsSend a Private Message to budsDirect Link to This Post

245/40ZR18 on the back, but I am planning on going a little taller to a 255/40ZR18.

Looks great...I wasn't sure at first but me likey now

Ohhh....That 255 tire won't get you any taller....rather wider.

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2008 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by buds:

Looks great...I wasn't sure at first but me likey now

Ohhh....That 255 tire won't get you any taller....rather wider.

about <1/4" taller.....but wider is the key....taller is the perk.
Dave

eh, after looking at it, maybe a 245/45ZR18 would look better in the rear

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2008 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
It does look great, I especially like how you went out of the box at where you broke the colors. Too bad you couldnt do something like an overlay over the tail lights to keep the orange look 360*.
Winkie

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2008 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WinkieClick Here to visit Winkie's HomePageSend a Private Message to WinkieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

It does look great, I especially like how you went out of the box at where you broke the colors. Too bad you couldnt do something like an overlay over the tail lights to keep the orange look 360*.

That would look so good. It may be illegal in NJ though. If it were me I would do it anyway.

Ryan
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2008 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

I was thinking that, too - or to just paint the part of the rear clip just under the deck lid.

I'm not cutting on your layout, Dave. It may be something to consider if anyone wants to steal ... errr, I mean use some different colors and "borrow" your paint scheme one day (like me )
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2008 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post

Saxman

5151 posts
Member since May 2005
By the way, from what I can tell in the photos, that paint job looks DEEP. I bet it really stands out in person.

Kinda looks like someone took the car, flipped it and dipped it in chocolate! Mmmmm-mmm... (Now I sound a little gay - sorry. Is the orange rubbing off on me, Joey?)
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2008 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
The original idea was to use the euro tail lights and have them match the orange, but the more I drew it out, the uglier it became. I was going to black out the lenes, but those lenses are from another PFF'er that had them in storage for the last many years with the plastic still on the lenses. The lenses are mint, so I didn't want to screw with them.
I really wish I could get the pics to come out a little better....maybe turn up the setting on the camera. I posted the pics on the MINI Cooper site I nelong to and when one of the MINI guys saw it and then came over to see it in person, he was floored and told me the pics don't do justice.
Now I just have to keep it clean for Carlisle.
Dave

[This message has been edited by bmwguru (edited 03-08-2008).]

PFF
System Bot
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2008 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post
That turned out great! So much for the wife's opinion!
anonymity

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2008 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for anonymityClick Here to visit anonymity's HomePageSend a Private Message to anonymityDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Saxman:

By the way, from what I can tell in the photos, that paint job looks DEEP. I bet it really stands out in person.

Kinda looks like someone took the car, flipped it and dipped it in chocolate! Mmmmm-mmm... (Now I sound a little gay - sorry. Is the orange rubbing off on me, Joey?)

No, Saxman, nobody dipped this car in chocolate. That does sound a little gay, though.
Pics cannot compare to how this Gay Orange Fiero (GOF) looks in person. The GOF is definitely an attention grabber. Dave fired her up today and she still sounds mean. The color combo that Dave chose, IMO, is just horrible!

Joey
anonymity

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2008 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for anonymityClick Here to visit anonymity's HomePageSend a Private Message to anonymityDirect Link to This Post

anonymity

355 posts
Member since Jul 2007

Originally posted by carnut122:

That turned out great! So much for the wife's opinion!

I'm entitled to my opinion, cuz its just so much fun to pick on my Hubby!

I have to admit, this GAY color combo is getting complimented by damn near everyone that has seen it in person.

I'll be towing it out to Carlisle, and I wanna see how many heads turn.

I may not like the colors Dave chose, but I'll be DAMN PROUD to trailer it ANYWHERE!!

Joey

P.S. I still say it's GAY!
whadeduck

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2008 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
Coulda been worse. Coulda picked pink and baby blue blue for the colors. That woulda defnately have been "thooper-gay." Wow, you actually CAN spell with a lisp. Seriously though, the paint looks great. Dunno if I've ever seen one that parts at the body lines quite that way. But it works.

------------------
Whade' "The Duck Formerly Known As Wade" Duck
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2008 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
there is a pink and black Fiero for sale down the street from my house. That poor car. I should buy it for Joey so she can have the gay Fiero. lol
Dave
ps. I forgot to mention that the rear spoiler was pushed back 1.5"
also, for those of you that have been paying attention, I'll bet you missed the Pontiac logo was removed from the headlight cover. There are a few other weird things I did to the car on purpose. The front bumper is from a SE which has ribbed molding. There was a reason for using that particular bumper. The roof was also retrimmed to give better body lines...(hard to explain in writing, but easy in person). There are other things...take a good look at Carlisle or in the pics and see if you can spot them.

[This message has been edited by bmwguru (edited 03-10-2008).]

FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2008 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
The paint looks awesome! It's nice to see something different.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2008 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
The car looks great!
Definitely uncommon. (That's almost never a bad thing.)

...The front bumper is from a SE which has ribbed molding. There was a reason for using that particular bumper...

I'm guessing that it's a little bit shorter, or provides a bit more ground clearance?

Care to share?
------------------
Raydar
88 4.9 Formula IMSA Fasback..........................88 3.4 coupe -soon to be something other than red

Read Nealz Nuze! Praise the Lowered!

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 03-10-2008).]

AutoTech

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2008 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AutoTechSend a Private Message to AutoTechDirect Link to This Post

There are other things...take a good look at Carlisle or in the pics and see if you can spot them.

I see one.....shaved GT badge on the rear fascia !
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2008 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post
"fed up! I'm going to paint her myself"

Like that didn't happen. More like fed up! I'm going to pay to paint her, myself. Soo, how much did this exercise set you back?

Do you drive your car? Or if you do, park it far away from everyone else?

Me? I go to Walmart & park in the closest spot.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock