Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  fed up! I'm going to paint her myself (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
fed up! I'm going to paint her myself by bmwguru
Started on: 06-02-2007 11:25 AM
Replies: 171
Last post by: Lou6t4gto on 04-20-2009 01:11 AM
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2007 07:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tha Driver:

I don't how you could possibly screw that up. I guess you just didn't put enough paint on it. You must have bought a color that was very translucent.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Giggle Cream - it makes dessert *funny*!

Just a sucky painter I guess.
IP: Logged
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2007 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I dont see either. All the GM whites seem to cover fully in 2-3 coats max. The only thing I can see doing that is completely different weather conditions when you painted each panel or a different can of paint each piece. If I buy multiple quarts, I always mix them all together first to insure uniform color. Individual cans can vary slightly. The mixer blends the components by weight not volume and just a dab too much of one can throw it off a lot. Whites for example have a lot of blue in the formula and just the left over blue on the stick can throw it way off. This is another reason I prefer to trim in panels, assemble it, and shoot the majority in one piece. Some colors, this is the ONLY way. Whites and blacks are the only colors I will panel paint doing a repair...almost always ,95%...match even on an older car.
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2007 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
It's been a very busy month at the shop and the only thing I've been able to get done on my Fiero is wipe off the growth of dust.
I got down there today for a few hours to start bonding on my rear decklid scoop. Now, you body guys are going to cringe when you see this, but I figure if I screw it up, I'll just start over again. As of today, I used the two part SMC panel adhesive to bond on the scoop. Tomorrow, I'm going to make sure that I didn't miss anything and then start filling in the gaps and sanding. If all goes well, I'll have it primed by the weekend....then a few more hours of sanding the car and I'll prime the car. I'm also planning a complete suspension overhaul on my wife's Fiero for September, so all my free time will be spent with Fieros.
Here are some pics from today.
Dave
This is the original hole size needed to clear the four carburetors

Here it is opened up to fit the scoop.

Here the paint has been stripped down to the primer

Here the scoop sits for the night so the adhesive can cure.
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2007 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
Just wanted to give a little bump. My plans are to have it painted by October 31st. I have the paint almost down to the primer and/or plastic. I found about six coats of paint on the roof....not including the clear.....WTF?

still sanding and filling
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2007 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post

bmwguru

4692 posts
Member since Sep 2006
weird...post didn't show up....mmmm
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2007 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I just went thru that with my Coronet. Being metal though, I wont have the problems you would. Make sure the first sanding of primer is with a block so you wont have any dips or waves in the paint. You cant eliminate 100% of them on a Fiero because just sitting in the sun will warp panels some, but blocking the primer will reduce it to at least manageable. I hate stripping a vette or Fiero with a sander. The Coronet only had been painted once in her life, so sanding the metal body down was only two 8 hour days. I already blocked that and its dead straight end to end.
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2007 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
Yesterday, I took off the bumpers, hoods, ground effects and put the old rims back on (don't want to mess up the new rims). I'm going to finish getting it down to the primer to get all the scratches out.
Dave

Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2007 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post
After sanding it down that far (especially the top with all that paint), you're going to need more than just a couple coats of primer to block it out straight. I suggest 1 coat epoxy, & 2 coats of catalyst-hardened high-build. I use Ditzler/PPG epoxy & Sikkens high-build, but they are *not* cheap. Before blocking, dust a light coat (mist) of flat black (spray can) laquer. When blocking it will show you the low spots. Block with a good straight paint paddle & medium sponge pad (for the tight curves like around the fenderwells), with 180 wet. If it dosen't block out the first time (you hit the epoxy before all the flat black dissapears), apply another coat (or two) of the high-build. Final coat of epoxy & wet sand that with 400 (mist black dosen't hurt here too), or finish the high-build with 320 wet & shoot the epoxy, wait 30 minites, & shoot the paint.
(Edit) You *really* need to at least take the ground effects off to do the job right.
Good luck,
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Each year, more children drown in buckets or pails than are accidentally killed with a firearm.

[This message has been edited by Tha Driver (edited 09-07-2007).]

Bruce

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2007 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceDirect Link to This Post
I was quoted $5000 to get my car repainted. The car's not really in bad condition, but I wanted it done right. But, $5000 for a car I bought for $3000??
We shall see.....
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2007 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
With all the labor involved in sanding and prepping. I can understand why $5,000 is the happy number.
I have a body shop guy coaching me on this and let me tell you.....I thought I was OCD. Holy poop! but at least I know that it will be beautiful when it is done.
Dave
Winkie

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2007 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WinkieClick Here to visit Winkie's HomePageSend a Private Message to WinkieDirect Link to This Post
You really don't want to get that dust in under the hood if you can help it. I sanded mine and when i was done i washed in there 3 or 4 times and its still red. It is better but still cover it and save your self alot of cleaning. Especially for someone with OCD. Looks good though.
PFF
System Bot
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2007 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
I cover everything in plastic and coverings when I am sanding. The engine is still pretty clean and still runs NICE!!!!
Dave
ly041181

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2007 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ly041181Send a Private Message to ly041181Direct Link to This Post
I can't wait to see the color combo. I thought about going two-tone with mine. Have do those sets sit/fit in your car?
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2007 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
The APC seats fit nice, but the parking brake handle is a tight fit when pulled up. I never use it anyway. The only complaint about the seats is it is hard to get in and out of the car, but once you are in, I could stay in there for hours....or until I run out of gas.
Dave
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2007 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
bump because we are on target for the end of the month to be completed.
Dave
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2007 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
As I stand here before you all as my witnesses.....I vow to never pick up or use another DA sander for as long as I live.
I seriously have no idea how you body guys stay sane.
Dave
Firefox

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 240
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2007 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bmwguru:

As I stand here before you all as my witnesses.....I vow to never pick up or use another DA sander for as long as I live.
Dave

It helps to drink.
Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2007 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

Dave

LOL! Nothing like having someone paint their own car to appreciate the s*** we go through. Think about this: try using all those vibrating tools for 35+ years & see what it does to your joints - not to mention what the concrete does to your knees & the heavy lifting does to your back.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

I checked today and... this is the oldest I've ever been.
Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2007 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

Tha Driver

4559 posts
Member since Sep 2006

Originally posted by Bruce:

I was quoted $5000 to get my car repainted. The car's not really in bad condition, but I wanted it done right. But, $5000 for a car I bought for $3000??
We shall see.....

Well if you paid $8,000 for it you probably wouldn't *have* to paint it, would you?
I had a guy freak out one time 'cause I was going to charge him $1200 to paint a car he paid $300 for!!!
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

You go into the bathroom American & come out American - what are you while you're in there?
> Yur-a-pee'in
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2007 06:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post

LOL! Nothing like having someone paint their own car to appreciate the s*** we go through. Think about this: try using all those vibrating tools for 35+ years & see what it does to your joints - not to mention what the concrete does to your knees & the heavy lifting does to your back.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

I checked today and... this is the oldest I've ever been.

I use air impact tools every day for 15 years now and let me tell you, I can already see the damage. My handwriting used to be perfect and now even trying, it is terrible. My hands have a slight shake when I try to solder a circuit board or other precise job.
But to make over six figures a year doing my hobby....priceless.
Dave

Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2007 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

I use air impact tools every day for 15 years now and let me tell you, I can already see the damage. My handwriting used to be perfect and now even trying, it is terrible. My hands have a slight shake when I try to solder a circuit board or other precise job.
But to make over six figures a year doing my hobby....priceless.
Dave

That's right you're a mechanic... Still impacts don't vibrate near as much as some sanders & air chisels, & you don't hold an impact on for hours at a time.
I've never made anywhere near that kind of money either.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

The United States is the only industrialized nation to *outlaw* hemp production.
PFF
System Bot
GKDINC

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2007 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GKDINCSend a Private Message to GKDINCDirect Link to This Post

Dave

It's the fumes, I painted my own car and swore to never paint another one!
Good Luck Keep us posted
Gary
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2007 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post

That's right you're a mechanic... Still impacts don't vibrate near as much as some sanders & air chisels, & you don't hold an impact on for hours at a time.
I've never made anywhere near that kind of money either.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

The United States is the only industrialized nation to *outlaw* hemp production.

When I worked as a flat rate tech I flagged out over 110 hours a week....every week. Now, rather than make someone else rich, I have my own german car shop. I've always been a go-getter since I was a kid. Back when I pumped gas, I made $8.00 an hour and worked 90-120 hours a week. Overtime hit at 40 hours. If I was awake, I went to work.
Dave

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2007 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post

bmwguru

4692 posts
Member since Sep 2006
back on topic....I just received my quarter windows from the Fiero Store today.....so close....so close.
Dave
I'll post more pics later this week
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2007 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
ok, a little update. I got so fed up with trying to make the prep perfect. I gave in to the all mighty wizard of wonder and twisted his arm into letting me drop off my Fiero at his body shop. I did learn a lot from the experience. I just realized that I am no artist. I can build 10 second cars, but I am not a body guy.
I was very impressed with the professionalism of his shop. I took the Fiero over there on my trailer and before I even had it unloaded he had two guys taking the parts out of the rear hatch of my truck/SUV and started working on them. They told me that I should have the car back in my hands in my scheduled time.....end of the month.
Sorry to wuss out, I just know my expectations exceeds my ability. I'll post some pics later this month.
Dave
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2007 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Except for rust, metal cars are sooooooooo much easier. My Coronet has been in primer and blocked a few times. I DA sanded it all to bare metal except the jams. I used a sandblaster on all the jams and sills. There already trimmed in with the new color. I plan on shooting the body Thanksgiving weekend. Final touch up sanding 1st day, masking 2nd day and spray the 3rd. Most of it will prob be color sanded on Sunday and buffed. Its so much easier while its fresh. Clearcoat keeps getting harder the longer you wait. I like to wait a while with just primer if I can to be sure everything is OK before final color goes on. My dealers usually quit sending cars over around then and dont pick back up till after New Years. Here anything they have on the lot the end of the year, they have to pay taxes on so they keep very little inventory then. Gives me nice time to play with my own stuff uninterupted. At least with Corvettes the body is a LOT firmer than Fieros, so it can be blocked pretty well. The bad part is you dont want to make them perfect because theyre wavey from the factory, so you have to leave some in. Ive even perfected a method (its my secret) for reproducing the fender and quarter panel seams where they glue them together for the true diehard vette guys.
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2007 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
I just wanted to put some update pics up. The body shop had made my feeble attempt at making a decklid scoop a work of art. If all goes well the car will be primed on Monday or Tuesday.
Dave

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2007 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Hey, is that a 6 pack Mopar hood you used. Looks identical to the one on my Coronet........? When they supposed to be done with it ?
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2007 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
They told me that they would adhere to my time frame and have the car ready for Halloween. Orange and black car. Just in time.
The hood scoop is the Mopar. My last V8 had the same scoop and I liked the way it looked. I sold it a few years ago and now wish that I hadn't...it would have fit nicely on my wife's 86 SE.
Dave
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2007 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
ok, here is an update.....I will give the body shop credit. They didn't say which Halloween it would be ready by. BUT the quality is top notch, so far. Here are a few update pics. I just may have the car back by spring for Carlisle.
Dave

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2007 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Looks really nice. And that def is ORANGE lol
PFF
System Bot
Winkie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2007 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WinkieClick Here to visit Winkie's HomePageSend a Private Message to WinkieDirect Link to This Post
WOW!!! Looks like it will be well worth the wait. I wouldn't drive that in the winter anyway.

Ryan
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2007 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
It is the perfect hue of orange in my opinion. and I will be taking this out on the nicer winter days....I can't wait to drive it again.
Dave
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
whooo hoooo ha ha ha ha ha.......er.....

obviously, the scrap rims and tires are on the car. The HP Racing rims are safe at my shop
anonymity

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for anonymityClick Here to visit anonymity's HomePageSend a Private Message to anonymityDirect Link to This Post
UGLY!!!!! IMO the color combo only looks good for Halloween, nothing else. Paint quality may be damn near perfect, but I happen to think it's gay.

Joey
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
I like the Musclecar look, you did a great job on the quarter panel curves.

Nice work.

[This message has been edited by Xanth (edited 01-14-2008).]

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by anonymity:

UGLY!!!!! IMO the color combo only looks good for Halloween, nothing else. Paint quality may be damn near perfect, but I happen to think it's gay.

Joey

Thank you, my loving wife.
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post

bmwguru

4692 posts
Member since Sep 2006

Originally posted by Xanth:

I like the Musclecar look, you did a great job on the quarter panel curves.

Nice work.

I'm not the one who painted it. I gave up months ago and sent it to the best body/paint shop that I know.
Dave
Winkie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WinkieClick Here to visit Winkie's HomePageSend a Private Message to WinkieDirect Link to This Post
WOW! They did a great job. I'm looking forward to finally seeing it in person.

Ryan
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post
Joey, don't hold back. Why don't you tell him how you feel?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock