Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Ways to Improve Fiero Aerodynamics????? (Page 3)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
Ways to Improve Fiero Aerodynamics????? by goatnipples2002
Started on: 11-17-2005 09:51 AM
Replies: 127
Last post by: metoady on 12-14-2005 08:15 PM
goatnipples2002

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 112
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2005 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for goatnipples2002Click Here to visit goatnipples2002's HomePageSend a Private Message to goatnipples2002Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mulholland_GT_Racer:

Goatnipples,

I am really afraid of cutting into the hood, because if I do then I might screw up the rest of the car's finish.
I need to get it cut to size and put it onto the car before I head back to Iowa this coming Friday or Saturday.

Could you post some photos of the scoop that you have mounted on the hood?
How did you do your scoop? If it's not too hard I think I might just do that and gain some high-speed stability, because at present driving above 80mph or so is REALLY unnerving.

By the way, where did you get/how much was the scoop you have? I kind of like it.

My scoop was put on pretty easily and it was my first time. I measured 20 times and then cut once. I centered it and made sure to cut a hole. I used 2 sided tape to hold it in place then I drill holes in the corners then I used bolts and nuts. I recessed them as well or whatever that is called when you make them flush. Then sprayed undercoating on the heads to match the scoop. Then I used bondo on the crack but bondo sucks on flexible surfaces. So one day in the summer I will glass it in...but no rush. I currently don't have a digital camera...I'll ask to see if my friends have one.

This is the scoop I have but may I suggest the biggest one. Because you can make a bigger hole. Forgot you have to cut the hole out yourself. I used a blow torch and a boxcutter. Heat the razor and it is like cutting cold butter with a hot knife.
http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?Ntt =euro+scoop&Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&searchinresults=false&N=115&target=egnsearch.asp

On another note..................MY PAGE PUNK! (in D-Bo's voice)

[This message has been edited by goatnipples2002 (edited 11-26-2005).]

IP: Logged
metoady

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2005 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for metoadyClick Here to visit metoady's HomePageSend a Private Message to metoadyDirect Link to This Post
thanks for the pic gunnie now i understand
it liiks great on your car
no i have to fit mine
thanks again

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please dont clean up my space..........
you will confuse me and screw up my world !!!!

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2005 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
Here are some more photos that Gunnie sent to me.

Enjoy!

Mulholland_GT_Racer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2005 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mulholland_GT_RacerSend a Private Message to Mulholland_GT_RacerDirect Link to This Post
Ah, I see how it's done now. I'm going to try and get mine done and get pictures up as soon as I can.

-Mulholland GT

------------------
1986 GT Getrag 5-speed

MULHOLLAND GT

Mulholland_GT_Racer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2005 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mulholland_GT_RacerSend a Private Message to Mulholland_GT_RacerDirect Link to This Post

Mulholland_GT_Racer

387 posts
Member since Aug 2005

Originally posted by Kameo Kid:

The things that you speak of that your Fiero is doing sounds like you may have worn shocks and struts. I know that the old 3 bounce method that is effective on heavy cars to check shocks doesn't work on a Fiero due to it's lighter weight. I had an 86 GT that passed the bounce test but had worn shocks and struts, after replacing them Koni adjustables on putting them on about 80% firmness the GT rode like it was on rails. But you may want to pull them and check.

As for the canards there is a kid on here that everyone makes fun of his GREEN car but I do believe that he has some of the very things on his, which personally I think would work fine for air flow. I believe they're carbon fiber too, which would work better than aluminum. Slitters would also work if you had a chin spoiler like mine that is parallel with the road from the wheels to the front of the car.

Yeah, I figured mine worked okay because they passed the bouncecheck test, but I've taken the wheels off and examined them, and the shock housings are rusted to sh*t.
I am in the process of adding a chinspoiler, and so I think Canards would definitely help. I believe you're referring to the F&F Fiero on here, although outrageously JDM for a domestic car, it doesn't look to terrible aside from the colour + neons.

I checked the templates for Canards that I believe Goatnipples posted from the APR website, printed some out onto paper, cut them out and figuratively came up with about where and how I would mount them and whereabouts. Now I just need to figure out what I can make these out of because I've got a limited budget and I've gotta be finished with everything before this coming friday.

Thus far:
Paint and Install new sideskirts
Paint Brake Calipers
Install new brake pads
Install crossdrilled rotors
bleed brake system clean

and I think that's about it.

I am not sure what I will do about shocks as they are kinda pricey generally and would probably take some work to install.
Any reccomendations?

Thanks
Mulholland GT

------------------
1986 GT Getrag 5-speed

MULHOLLAND GT

Kameo Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2005 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Kameo KidSend a Private Message to Kameo KidDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mulholland_GT_Racer:

Yeah, I figured mine worked okay because they passed the bouncecheck test, but I've taken the wheels off and examined them, and the shock housings are rusted to sh*t.

I am not sure what I will do about shocks as they are kinda pricey generally and would probably take some work to install.
Any reccomendations?

Thanks
Mulholland GT

well anything is better than what you got if there shot. I would just put on the best that your wallet can handle, handling is what your buying, stock will be much better handing for you than now, Koni is top of the line and in my opinion, if you can afford them they're great. KYB and others are out there for less but ask for others to post what they use or used to fine something less than Konis that will do the job for you. Sorry I'm not more product informative but I've only used Konis in the past and plan on using Konis and coilovers on my 88 GT when redo the suspension on it unless I find something better at that time.

Mulholland_GT_Racer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2005 03:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mulholland_GT_RacerSend a Private Message to Mulholland_GT_RacerDirect Link to This Post
I saw a nearly new set of front shocks on a 86 GT in the yard yesterday that I pulled parts off of. Pick your part is having a 50% off sale and the fronts look like they'd be easy to change out. They were yellow and looked to be in great shape. I didn't catch the brand. If they're less than the 15.99 or so autozone wants for stock new ones, I'm gonna go with them, as I think they were better-than-stock. They looked like it anyways.

How difficult are the fronts to do? I think the fronts are causing my problem, not the rears, as the rear seems to stay planted just fine no matter how fast I'm going. It's always the front that loses grip first (ie understeer) which made those passes through Wyoming on the I-80 really scary.

Anyways, thanks for the advice.
Sorry for the thread hijack
I am going to try and add wing surface to the chin spoiler gunnie posted.

-Mulholland GT

------------------
1986 GT Getrag 5-speed

MULHOLLAND GT

goatnipples2002

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2005 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for goatnipples2002Click Here to visit goatnipples2002's HomePageSend a Private Message to goatnipples2002Direct Link to This Post
bhump
Mulholland_GT_Racer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2005 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mulholland_GT_RacerSend a Private Message to Mulholland_GT_RacerDirect Link to This Post
So what've we got thus far?
Recap:

Hood vents, chin spoiler, splitters and canards.
Hood Vents: Anything that goes up to and stops before the dividerwall that contains the spare.
Chin spoilers: Can be sourced from the 1992 Ford Taurus, needs to have reliefs cut into the curves of the sides, and then trimmed to be flush with the rest of the front.
Splitters: Can be sourced from APR.
Canards: APR offers free templates for canards on the site, should be angled between 50 and 75 degrees to achieve decent amount of downforce.

Replace your shocks and springs to ensure the front end stays planted.

Chin spoilers are okay, but you do not want an airdam.

What else is there?
I was thinking earlier:
I read somewhere that you can cut a hole into the wheel well from the place behind the headlights to reduce lift and drag at high-speeds and get rid of the annoying 120mph headlight popup and slightly improve aero. Any more info on that? I can't recall where I saw it.
What are we forgetting?

Bump.
-Mulholland GT

------------------
1986 GT Getrag 5-speed

MULHOLLAND GT

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2005 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
You can always purchase a Norm front flipper and a choptop.
goatnipples2002

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2005 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for goatnipples2002Click Here to visit goatnipples2002's HomePageSend a Private Message to goatnipples2002Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

You can always purchase a Norm front flipper and a choptop.

I've seen your cars and they are sick, but that choptop look isn't my thing. Not that my opinion matters, but I was just voicing my "@sshole".

[This message has been edited by goatnipples2002 (edited 11-28-2005).]

PFF
System Bot
Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2005 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kohburn:

can't see to know all the angles, but i have a wing similar to this.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000002/HTML/20030204-1-021323.html

a car i've been fooling with for a few years. i always liked the wing but thought it was a bit too narrow. i later got an imsa wing...

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000002/HTML/20020118-1-010819.html

not my car but the same wing. i like the width of it but thought the saleen looked better, more aggressive, plus i put the imsa on my convertible and didn't want two wings the same.

i eventually hacked up the saleen wing and made it as wide as the imsa. don't know when i'll be able to put up a pic, but it came out pretty much ok. i put a few strips of cloth on it and i know it's doing something, but i've only been up to about 50-55 mph. i put strips on the trailing edge, right at the top of the lip, that flow back once you get up to 40mph or so. some more strips on the leading edge just twist around till you get up around 50mph, then they get sucked under the wing towards the back. any strips in the area that was added, about 4-5" from the sides, are in the wind and are pulled back as soon as you're moving.

i don't truthfully know what it all means, but i know the wing has some function. weather it's all good or has some detriment i guess i'll have to find out later.

Philphine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2005 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
well, i guess i have a similar front facia too, but again with the angle shown i don't know how close. kinda neat. i fooled around and did similar things to whoever this was and they seem to be more or less serious racers. i hope that means i'm doing positive things too.
metoady

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2005 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for metoadyClick Here to visit metoady's HomePageSend a Private Message to metoadyDirect Link to This Post
humm i can make it fit

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2005 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Philphine:
i always liked the wing but thought it was a bit too narrow. i later got an imsa wing...

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000002/HTML/20020118-1-010819.html

not my car but the same wing. i like the width of it but thought the saleen looked better, more aggressive, plus i put the imsa on my convertible and didn't want two wings the same.

hah - I actually bought that spoiler from him.. its on my 3.4dohc turbo

gunnie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2005 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gunnieSend a Private Message to gunnieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by metoady:

humm i can make it fit

You got the hood vents on. Now let us see it with the spoiler installed.

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2005 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
That is a very nice install Blacktree has, and congrats on a nice looking chin spoiler.

What mystifies me a little is the aerodynamic advantage. It is not as low as the OE air dam which is behind it. It does not appear to direct air upward or downward. Besides the looks of it, is there an aerodynamic advantage?

Arn

gunnie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2005 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gunnieSend a Private Message to gunnieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

That is a very nice install Blacktree has, and congrats on a nice looking chin spoiler.

What mystifies me a little is the aerodynamic advantage. It is not as low as the OE air dam which is behind it. It does not appear to direct air upward or downward. Besides the looks of it, is there an aerodynamic advantage?

Arn

Not sure, but if you are talking about the picture Blacktree posted for me I can only guess (since it was never tested before or after) except for handling. I can say the "wobble" or lift feeling at speed is pretty much gone. Another reason I am putting on splitters at the ends. My guess is that the aero nose is flat on the bottom and was allowing the nose to lift. The chin spoiler has broke up this air flow, allowing some of the air to go around the front end and also providing a low pressure area behind it holding the front down. Again, this is my best guess----- what do the rest of you think? Do you think the splitters are needed?
Thanks, Gunnie

gunnie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2005 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gunnieSend a Private Message to gunnieDirect Link to This Post
Bumpin' for an answer
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2005 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
If you look at the aero nose's side profile, you'll notice that it angles slightly upward toward the front. That generates lift. IMO, the best way to tackle that is to flatten that angle. The lip spoiler approximates that effect.

I won't comment on its effect on drag, because I'm not sure.

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2005 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
adding a chin spoiler lowered my top speed about 10mph but drasticly increased stability in my last fastback
PFF
System Bot
metoady

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2005 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for metoadyClick Here to visit metoady's HomePageSend a Private Message to metoadyDirect Link to This Post
ok got it on and i need to know leave it white paint
it gold to match or adiffent color all together??

metoady

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2005 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for metoadyClick Here to visit metoady's HomePageSend a Private Message to metoadyDirect Link to This Post

metoady

214 posts
Member since Oct 2005
ok that didnt work hummmmm
gunnie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2005 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gunnieSend a Private Message to gunnieDirect Link to This Post

ok got it on and i need to know leave it white paint
it gold to match or adiffent color all together??

Hard to tell, it looks like a white car with a white spoiler in a snow storm! And if anyone cares- it's snowing outside right now!!!!!! About 2" on the ground and more coming.

kamikaze7

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2005 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kamikaze7Send a Private Message to kamikaze7Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kohburn:

adding a chin spoiler lowered my top speed about 10mph but drasticly increased stability in my last fastback

So does this mean that lowering the front of the car by 1-2" and creating more of a wedge is better or worse then adding a chin spoiler?

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2005 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
are you going for milage - or downforce for increased traction?

kamikaze7

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2005 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kamikaze7Send a Private Message to kamikaze7Direct Link to This Post
I would like the best of both worlds but traction would be first priority.

I already have a hood vent and plan on moving the battery to the front. This added weight plus shorter springs should help traction. Is this it enough? I'm not sure if I will need the added benefit of the chin spoiler with the above changes vs top speed.

Comments please.

gunnie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2005 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gunnieSend a Private Message to gunnieDirect Link to This Post
Stability should be number one. Especially at speed. Traction goes right in there then mph. This is why I have repeated many times the more controls you put on your car the more hp you need. It takes hp to move that air! I am surprised by the 10 mph lose in top end with a chin spoiler. I would expect that amount with a front air dam. Just another good reason for me to stick with my plan of the chin spoiler with splitters at the ends.
Philphine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2005 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
looking for something else and found a pic of the hood i use on the car i previously posted. it's kind of confusing 'cause since these pics i've swapped hoods around but...

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000002/HTML/20030531-1-024398-2.html

of the ones i posted in this thread. the first one on a silver hood is what ended up on it, and since then i've cut two openings on either side of main opening, and added a small peak on the leading edge of the openings. it's another one of those things where i have no proof of what it's doing, but i can't see it making things worse. hopefully it's working with the front facia positively.

[This message has been edited by Philphine (edited 12-01-2005).]

goatnipples2002

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2005 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for goatnipples2002Click Here to visit goatnipples2002's HomePageSend a Private Message to goatnipples2002Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by goatnipples2002:

As far as canards go I would assume that they would need the same angle of attack as a spoiler. The diagram I posted suggest somewhere between 55-70 degrees. Test each and see what you like more.

I forgot who asked but someone asked about the angle of attack on canards and this was my answer, but I was thinking about this answer after I was doning some research on the JGTC 500 Skyline and it has cnards that have an upsweep from 7 to 10 degrees. So tthat made me think that the more rake you have or the more your fron end is lowered the less attack you have to have on the canards, but testing and tuning is the best why to find out. Just remember more attack more drag, less attack less downforce. What I do is I look at the JGTC cars and other sports cars that race and see what they have aerodynamically and research each pice to see if it is needed on my car.

metoady

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2005 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for metoadyClick Here to visit metoady's HomePageSend a Private Message to metoadyDirect Link to This Post
humm maybe try this one

not by the hair of my chinny chin chin
PFF
System Bot
crash1369

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2005 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crash1369Click Here to visit crash1369's HomePageSend a Private Message to crash1369Direct Link to This Post

humm maybe try this one

not by the hair of my chinny chin chin

what is that one?

Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2005 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
that would prob. look decent if u got rid of the lower separator at the bottom of the facia and incorportated the openin in the lower piece to the opening in the stock fascia...
gunnie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2005 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gunnieSend a Private Message to gunnieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by crash1369:

what is that one?

Looks like the front of my Ranger pickup. Holes are for driving lights. I don't think you will like looks and I really don't believe it will do anything for handling.

Mulholland_GT_Racer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2005 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mulholland_GT_RacerSend a Private Message to Mulholland_GT_RacerDirect Link to This Post
Any updates?

I found out what's been causing my front end instability.
Apparently, my front left brake caliper has been STUCK since I bought the car. I figured my alignment was off and that's what it was, but it's been the damn calipers the whole time! haha!
Anyways, I got my performance rotors and new shocks on, along with new brake lines, wheel bearings, seals and calipers.
I am thinking my braking performance is greatly going to improve along with stability. The chin spoiler should help a lot with the lift and keep the steering flow nice & smooth.
I am also going to add canards, if I can get to home depot and find a suitable material to use the pattern from APR to create the canards and mount them.
I am going to be driving back to Iowa from CA later this week, so let's see how it affects mileage, too.
------------------
1986 GT Getrag 5-speed

MULHOLLAND GT

[This message has been edited by Mulholland_GT_Racer (edited 12-05-2005).]

metoady

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2005 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for metoadyClick Here to visit metoady's HomePageSend a Private Message to metoadyDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by gunnie:

Looks like the front of my Ranger pickup. [QUOTE]

humm like this

FieroGT42

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2005 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT42Send a Private Message to FieroGT42Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:
In other words, in it's stock location is useless as a wing. It is also marginal as a spoiler. That is the reason IMSA got rid of it PDQ and everybody who has experimented with it has dropped it.

I haven't taken the time to read everything in this thread since I last posted, but I read several places that the stock spoiler on both the notchbacks and fastbacks did trim the coefficient of drag.

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2005 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
You're right. They did say that.

And, it does help. That isn't to say it can't be improved on alot. That is the reason you don't see the bracket racers or road racers with them.

Arn

metoady

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2005 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for metoadyClick Here to visit metoady's HomePageSend a Private Message to metoadyDirect Link to This Post
ok so what is better stock spoiler/wing
or nothing .....hummmm

---------------------------------------------------------
somedays its not even worth
chewing through the restraints

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2005 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

ok so what is better stock spoiler/wing
or nothing .....hummmm

stock is better than nothing for reduced drag

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave