Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Lets see those customized front hoods (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Lets see those customized front hoods by WMac
Started on: 12-11-2002 10:52 PM
Replies: 76
Last post by: MinnGreenGT on 12-23-2002 03:28 PM
GTFiero1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2002 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2M4 Dale:

I like the look of the forward facing scoops. You guys need to remember that just about 99% of all cars coming out of Detroit with hood scoops have fake hood scoops. It's just a look ! For example all but the Ram Air GTO's and Firebirds from the 60's and early seventys. Most all of the Mustangs, Torinos, Challengers, Chargers and Cudas, AMX's, Tran Ams, Camaros, Chevelles, etc, had FAKE hood scoops .... once again just a LOOK ! ... One that I like. :-)

Nah, mustangs yeah but not really any of those cars. T/A's Camaros had hoods with vents and scoops which were function (except later 70's Z-28 style) Chevelles had vaccume controlled Cowl Induction to give the engine a shot of cooler air are higher RPMS. 68 and 69 AMX's didnt have any scoop really and the 70' was fully functional. Those Hemi's im sure were functional too. The only reason people are frowning upon the forward facing scoops on Fieros is because theres nothing to give cool air up to there. Under the hood of the Fiero is high pressure area which can lead to front end lift at higher speeds. It also holds in a lot of heat from the rad since the radiator is angled upward most of it tries to fit out the little cracks between the hood and fenders which it can do very well. By putting a vent on it, the pressure and heat can easily escape through it allowing a cooler running car and safer at high speeds.

------------------

--Adam--
1987 Blue GT 5-speed
IM AOL: GTFiero
Remember, always brush your milk, drink your teeth, dont do sleep and get eight hours of drugs

Drive it like you stole it...nice and slow so you dont get your @$$ caught by the cops

IP: Logged
ws6fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2002 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ws6fieroClick Here to visit ws6fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to ws6fieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by USFiero:

.... Gary's customs in Newport News used to sell a Ford turbo thunderbird scoop kit which I thought would look cool. .....

I got some off of ebay & got them rough fitted tonight, wellll let me go take some pics real quick......
Freddy
Bazooka

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2002 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BazookaClick Here to visit Bazooka's HomePageSend a Private Message to BazookaDirect Link to This Post
Don,
Your "Hood Ornament" is smiling. ha ha!
ws6fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2002 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ws6fieroClick Here to visit ws6fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to ws6fieroDirect Link to This Post
Ok 1st try w/ sig file & to post pic .... dum dum dum...

Mor pics on my scoop & Formula Pages

------------------
Freddy
Freddy's Place
]

hugh

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2002 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hughSend a Private Message to hughDirect Link to This Post
The post by Rockcrawl has pictures of my GT with his JL Extractors.
USFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2002 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroDirect Link to This Post
Wow, Freddy those look really good! Kind of GT-40, huh?
Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2002 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
bear with me. i've got half a handle on posting pics again.

a 1fst2m6 type. perforated stainless steel. got some left that i mean to try to use to make some matching rear vents so i won't have this on the front and louvers on the back.

'81 z28 fender vents. i'm finally trying to glass them in after putting them on a few years back. this pic makes them look kind of crooked but they pretty strait. i also have a set like reality's (same thing but for a trans am) that i may try on the next hood.

from the chop top i got from fierodave. this is the one i want to try shrouding to see if all the air coming through the rad. can be directed out the hood. should be big enough.

a mini l88 scoop. a combo of ideas from the regular cowl scoop and bazooka's. the one i'm least satisfied with but i've got an idea i mean to try in the next few days to see if i can make it more efficient. i want to try and make a small spoiler like piece that would funnel about 1/4 of the air through the rad out the scoop.

who knows. i may even finish one.

sc3888gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2002 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sc3888gtSend a Private Message to sc3888gtDirect Link to This Post
look for me at carlisle next year my hood is very different from any thing shown here both functional and good looking. Yeah I know i'm talking it up, but it will stand for itself.( kinda resembles a camaro louvered hood )
ws6fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2002 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ws6fieroClick Here to visit ws6fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to ws6fieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by USFiero:

Wow, Freddy those look really good! Kind of GT-40, huh?

I like to be different :-) check out the car in my sig file - the hood was a lund truck sunvisor.. used the center three roof running light cutouts on the hood & the outside two to make a mold for the side scoops. My favorite was my Formula- http://www.angelfire.com/on/freddysplace/88Formula/88Formula.html
which a friend did, then he siad he'd never do another, so I started playing around myself.

------------------
Freddy
Freddy's Place

chester
From: State of insanity...moved in and comfortably numb...

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2002 07:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post
Here is the old setup, sunbird vents.

Here is the new motorized vent

Rob D.

------------------

No motor - Soon to be a bottle fed 383 V8
2.5" Drop
11" Brakes
17" Revolutions
RCC Coilover Suspension
New web site! www.dirtyratracing.org

[This message has been edited by chester (edited 12-19-2002).]

Bazooka

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2002 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BazookaClick Here to visit Bazooka's HomePageSend a Private Message to BazookaDirect Link to This Post
Rob, Your damper looks like it would release a lot of air. What's it made of and how is it operated?

Phillipine, The combo scoop looks sublime. It would work well if the rest of the car had a similar motif.

PFF
System Bot
chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2002 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bazooka:

Rob, Your damper looks like it would release a lot of air. What's it made of and how is it operated?

The vent is made out of fiberglass. It has a control panel you mount inside the car with a rotary dial that allows you to open and close the vent.

Rob D.

blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2002 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
Rob, that's cool enough to deserve it's own thread. (i'm sure it eventually will )
Standard

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2002 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StandardClick Here to visit Standard's HomePageSend a Private Message to StandardDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DonHager:

[This message has been edited by DonHager (edited 12-17-2002).]

So, does the dog help add some downforce at high speeds?

------------------

1988 Quad 4 Coupe 5 speed click for more pics
1986 GT 5 speed
AOL: LastMinuteBastrd AIM: SavedbyJebus

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2002 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blakeinspace:

Rob, that's cool enough to deserve it's own thread. (i'm sure it eventually will )

I believe it did have it's own thread... a long time ago! https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000002/HTML/20020825-1-015178.html
Wow... that was almost a year ago now...

...also looks like the link that haze posted at the time has since changed though... try this one: http://www.art-piece.co.kr/eframe.html

Chester- where'd you get the vent from? Did you order it directly from Korea? Looks cool! -Are you going to smooth it in, or just leave it as is (with paint of course)?

MrPBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2002 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MrPBodyClick Here to visit MrPBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to MrPBodyDirect Link to This Post
litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2002 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GTFiero1:

Nah, mustangs yeah but not really any of those cars. T/A's Camaros had hoods with vents and scoops which were function (except later 70's Z-28 style) Chevelles had vaccume controlled Cowl Induction to give the engine a shot of cooler air are higher RPMS. 68 and 69 AMX's didnt have any scoop really and the 70' was fully functional. Those Hemi's im sure were functional too. The only reason people are frowning upon the forward facing scoops on Fieros is because theres nothing to give cool air up to there. Under the hood of the Fiero is high pressure area which can lead to front end lift at higher speeds. It also holds in a lot of heat from the rad since the radiator is angled upward most of it tries to fit out the little cracks between the hood and fenders which it can do very well. By putting a vent on it, the pressure and heat can easily escape through it allowing a cooler running car and safer at high speeds.

Adam, you are an intelligent person, so why do you keep slamming Fords? Mustangs DID have a functional hood scoop...have you ever heard of the "Shaker Hood Scoop" option on 69-70 Mustangs? It was optional on Boss 302's and Mach 1's with 351 Windsor and Cleveland engines. I believe it was standard on the Cobra Jet and SCJ engined cars. The Shaker Scoop mounted to the air cleaner, which had a small cover which just covered the air filter. The shaker assembly bolted down over the top of this, sealing off the air cleaner. There was a vacuum servo which controlled a flapper door mounted directly underneath the scoop body. The whole assembly had a rubber weatherseal around it, which sealed to the opening in the hood. It was molded with a lip around it, and had a drain tube to allow rainwater or wash water to drain off without dropping down on the engine. The opening in the hood had a trim ring around the perimeter of it, with reinforcement plates mounted underneath the hood. I know all of this as I bought the assembly to mount on my old 70 Boss 302, which didn't have the option. Now, you can argue that it wasn't very functional, and I wouldn't disagree....but it was just as functional as the Ram Air setup on the 70's GTO's. I would also agree that the cowl setup on the Chevelles was probably more functional. But the basic premise behind it was viable, for the information available back in the 70's. We know much more about airflow, etc., now, and know that they weren't much more than decoration. But to agree that Mustangs had fake hoodscoops, then point out that GM products had "functioning" hoodscoops, is doing Ford an injustice. Sorry to rant...but I've owned and driven Mustangs longer than you've been alive. I like ALL American cars, and some imports, too. I've owned Ford, GM, British Leyland, Toyota, and yes...even one Mopar. If you wanna slam a certain make of car, fine...but make sure you have all the facts first.

[This message has been edited by litespd (edited 12-19-2002).]

DonHager

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2002 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DonHagerSend a Private Message to DonHagerDirect Link to This Post
That hood ornament's name is Mr. Fiero. (For Real) If you look at the front tag you can see his name and picture on it.
He loves to ride..

------------------
86 SE
87 GT (factory blue)
87 Coupe 4L(factory blue)
88 GT

WWW.Fiero.us

chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2002 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MinnGreenGT:

I believe it did have it's own thread... a long time ago! https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000002/HTML/20020825-1-015178.html
Wow... that was almost a year ago now...

...also looks like the link that haze posted at the time has since changed though... try this one: http://www.art-piece.co.kr/eframe.html

Chester- where'd you get the vent from? Did you order it directly from Korea? Looks cool! -Are you going to smooth it in, or just leave it as is (with paint of course)?

Yup, direct from Korea. Took me 3 months to get it here. What a PITA that was. I'm not going to smooth it in, I got stainless hardware to bolt it down. Its going black like the rest of the car.

Rob D.

GTFiero1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2002 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by litespd:

Adam, you are an intelligent person, so why do you keep slamming Fords? Mustangs DID have a functional hood scoop...have you ever heard of the "Shaker Hood Scoop" option on 69-70 Mustangs? It was optional on Boss 302's and Mach 1's with 351 Windsor and Cleveland engines. I believe it was standard on the Cobra Jet and SCJ engined cars. The Shaker Scoop mounted to the air cleaner, which had a small cover which just covered the air filter. The shaker assembly bolted down over the top of this, sealing off the air cleaner. There was a vacuum servo which controlled a flapper door mounted directly underneath the scoop body. The whole assembly had a rubber weatherseal around it, which sealed to the opening in the hood. It was molded with a lip around it, and had a drain tube to allow rainwater or wash water to drain off without dropping down on the engine. The opening in the hood had a trim ring around the perimeter of it, with reinforcement plates mounted underneath the hood. I know all of this as I bought the assembly to mount on my old 70 Boss 302, which didn't have the option. Now, you can argue that it wasn't very functional, and I wouldn't disagree....but it was just as functional as the Ram Air setup on the 70's GTO's. I would also agree that the cowl setup on the Chevelles was probably more functional. But the basic premise behind it was viable, for the information available back in the 70's. We know much more about airflow, etc., now, and know that they weren't much more than decoration. But to agree that Mustangs had fake hoodscoops, then point out that GM products had "functioning" hoodscoops, is doing Ford an injustice. Sorry to rant...but I've owned and driven Mustangs longer than you've been alive. I like ALL American cars, and some imports, too. I've owned Ford, GM, British Leyland, Toyota, and yes...even one Mopar. If you wanna slam a certain make of car, fine...but make sure you have all the facts first.

[This message has been edited by litespd (edited 12-19-2002).]

oh yeah, i forgot about the 69-70's ones. I kept thinking of the late 70's and newer ones, sorry. Although i heard that those year mustangs were designed by a former GM designer

Bazooka

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2002 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BazookaClick Here to visit Bazooka's HomePageSend a Private Message to BazookaDirect Link to This Post
MrPeabody,
That maroon hood with the front slats for vents is gorgeous. Here's a similar one from April/2000 here on Pennocks. Don't remember who did it, but its also pretty good.

PFF
System Bot
litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2002 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GTFiero1:

oh yeah, i forgot about the 69-70's ones. I kept thinking of the late 70's and newer ones, sorry. Although i heard that those year mustangs were designed by a former GM designer

Like I said, Adam...you are an intelligent young man. Larry Shinoda, who had been a GM designer, worked on the Mustang. I THINK he did the designs for the Boss 302 and 429 graphics, and designed the front and rear deck spoilers. Not sure how much of the rest of the design he was involved with, though. Actually, I think you'll probably find that many designers have jumped ship from GM to Ford, or to Chrysler, and vice versa.

[This message has been edited by litespd (edited 12-20-2002).]

Bazooka

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2002 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BazookaClick Here to visit Bazooka's HomePageSend a Private Message to BazookaDirect Link to This Post
Here's a squared off vent design that's enhanced by the chin spoiler, and additional front rad. openings.

[This message has been edited by Bazooka (edited 12-20-2002).]

Scott-Wa

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2002 02:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott-WaClick Here to visit Scott-Wa's HomePageSend a Private Message to Scott-WaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tina:

Here you go

Close up of the same thing

Tina

Hi Tina,

Awesome vent install, have you got any info or photos of how the install was done? That looks like how the factory hood should have been.

It appears looking at fierostores site that it's just the lip area... you cut slice out of hood and bend it down and glass the vent in on top?

ws6fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2002 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ws6fieroClick Here to visit ws6fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to ws6fieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bazooka:

MrPeabody,
That maroon hood with the front slats for vents is gorgeous. Here's a similar one from April/2000 here on Pennocks. Don't remember who did it, but its also pretty good.

That's mine :-) they're the ones I mentioned earlier, here's the matching side scoops ready to make the mold.

& on the car:

all the body work pics @ http://www.angelfire.com/on/freddysplace/scoops/scoops.html

------------------
Freddy
Freddy's Place

Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2002 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
Looking at thoes makes mine look kinda cheezy, but still here it is, So far...

------------------

"How do I get one of those Smileys that rolls back and forth accross the screen?" -Archie

Bazooka

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2002 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BazookaClick Here to visit Bazooka's HomePageSend a Private Message to BazookaDirect Link to This Post
WS6Fiero,
Nice work on the panels including the side vents and rear spoiler (link). It has a very unique "wide body' look.
86 gt fastback

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2002 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 gt fastbackSend a Private Message to 86 gt fastbackDirect Link to This Post
has anybody done something looking similar to AUS stage2 sidescoops, he should make some that would be the same style for the hood.

hans

Phil

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2002 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilDirect Link to This Post

Here's mine

gargoyle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2002 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gargoyleSend a Private Message to gargoyleDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Philphine:

from the chop top i got from fierodave. this is the one i want to try shrouding to see if all the air coming through the rad. can be directed out the hood. should be big enough.

I really like this one. What is the status of this one.

------------------

Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2002 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
I like nice subtle, understated hood scoops/vents.

But I like the big side scoops.....

PFF
System Bot
BulletToothTony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2002 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BulletToothTonyClick Here to visit BulletToothTony's HomePageSend a Private Message to BulletToothTonyDirect Link to This Post
Well, if anything it looks like I may have the biggest yet. Heres a Link
http://www.angelfire.com/fl5/nff/hood.htm

If anyone could post a pic or two on the thread for me I'd appricate it.
Ryan

------------------
North Florida Fieros
http://www.angelfire.com/fl5/nff

gargoyle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2002 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gargoyleSend a Private Message to gargoyleDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

I like nice subtle, understated hood scoops/vents.

But I like the big side scoops.....

Oh Archie, such a shameless plug for your hood vents that you sell right out of your place right their in Barrington and can be found at your websight. Hey buddy take it to the mall.
How much do your LARGE side scoops go for?

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2002 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BulletToothTony:

Well, if anything it looks like I may have the biggest yet. Heres a Link
http://www.angelfire.com/fl5/nff/hood.htm

If anyone could post a pic or two on the thread for me I'd appricate it.
Ryan

I just "borrowed" this set of code from skitime's post in your other thread:

Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2002 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
kind of back burner status. this is my longest term project so it's all half (ok...maybe a 1/4) baked plans.
Tcat55371

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2002 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tcat55371Send a Private Message to Tcat55371Direct Link to This Post
First of all Tina teases evryone with that shot of the built in driving lights and then Archie hits with the doors.... Man, so much to try and only one car to mess up...
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2002 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tcat55371:

First of all Tina teases evryone with that shot of the built in driving lights and then Archie hits with the doors.... Man, so much to try and only one car to mess up...

See... that's why we all need a "spare"

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock