Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Ways to Improve Fiero Aerodynamics????? (Page 4)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
Ways to Improve Fiero Aerodynamics????? by goatnipples2002
Started on: 11-17-2005 09:51 AM
Replies: 127
Last post by: metoady on 12-14-2005 08:15 PM
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2005 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mulholland_GT_Racer:

Any updates?

I found out what's been causing my front end instability.
Apparently, my front left brake caliper has been STUCK since I bought the car. I figured my alignment was off and that's what it was, but it's been the damn calipers the whole time! haha!

stuck caliper wont give high speed instability. it will cause a pull in the steering when braking.
I will bet it was the wheel bearings were sloppy, and that was what is making it feel better.
fresh steering rack, tie rod ends & balls joints will do ALOT.
fix the common problems first. I know its nowhere near as cool as areodynamic effects.
all the wings, vents & spoilers wont do any good with sloppy suspension.

IP: Logged
Mulholland_GT_Racer

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2005 02:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mulholland_GT_RacerSend a Private Message to Mulholland_GT_RacerDirect Link to This Post
Haven't given the new suspension a good feel-out on the freeway yet, but will post once that's done.
I'm installing the taurus chin-spoiler tomorrow, it seems that APR canards will have to wait. But they sure would look hella cool!
I went to Super Autobacs the other day and even checked, but apparently they no longer sell canards.
Hell, I figured if any store would have them, it would be the rice superstore where you can buy a bodykit, rims, coilovers, or even a turbokit right off the shelves... damn you autobacs, you have failed me.

I think with the fresh front suspension, bearings and new brakes it should be a lot easier to drive on the way back to Iowa this weekend.

-Mulholland GT

------------------
1986 GT Getrag 5-speed

MULHOLLAND GT

gunnie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2005 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gunnieSend a Private Message to gunnieDirect Link to This Post
I think with the fresh front suspension, bearings and new brakes it should be a lot easier to drive on the way back to Iowa this weekend.

-Mulholland GT

[/QUOTE]

If you don't consider the roads are 100% snow and ice-packed right now here in Iowa.

metoady

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2005 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for metoadyClick Here to visit metoady's HomePageSend a Private Message to metoadyDirect Link to This Post
got more chin than jey leno

extra parts...........

not by the hair of my chinny chin chin

metoady

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2005 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for metoadyClick Here to visit metoady's HomePageSend a Private Message to metoadyDirect Link to This Post

metoady

214 posts
Member since Oct 2005
is it just me
or does the front end look like a mad catfish ?

-----------------------------------------------
The voices in my head may not be real
but they have some good ideas

Mulholland_GT_Racer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2005 01:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mulholland_GT_RacerSend a Private Message to Mulholland_GT_RacerDirect Link to This Post
Well, I got some interesting things to try out.

I found (yes, found) a sorta busted up carbon fiber spoiler off of what was probably a Lancer Evolution or Subaru WRX. The two wing-like arms that support the plane were in decent shape.

I took the wings off the plane, and the wing.
I mounted the taurus spoiler like metoady and now here's what I'm thinking.

Since the plane is still intact, I am thinking of making a set of brackets to bolt onto the underside of the stock fascia so that the wing is mounted just behind the taurus pieces. It fits fairly neatly and if I angle it slightly,it should actually provide some downforce. I think.
I am cutting up the carbon fiber wing-arm thingies to make a set of canards, as well. I think it will look really nice when finished. I might have to hit up ace hardware for some brackets and bolts to put together the canards and FUNCTIONAL chin spoiler. It will probably increase drag, but it SHOULD increase downforce and make for a much more stable ride at high speeds. Coupled with that, the canards should help, as well.

However, I am not sure if I am still keeping my Fiero at this point, and although I hate to leave sunny Seal Beach, CA I need to get back to snowy, cold, Iowa and get back to school. I am hoping that changing the waterpump and running some stopleak should get the overheating problem to stop.

Any suggestions??

-Mulholland GT

------------------
1986 GT Getrag 5-speed

MULHOLLAND GT

metoady

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2005 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for metoadyClick Here to visit metoady's HomePageSend a Private Message to metoadyDirect Link to This Post
ok i showed you mine show me yours
chin spoiner that is........

---------------------------------------------
i may be geting older
but i refuse to grow up!!!!!

metoady

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2005 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for metoadyClick Here to visit metoady's HomePageSend a Private Message to metoadyDirect Link to This Post
hickup
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock